Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Closed Thread

Old 14-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #631
EFFalcon
Last warning

tyres still scrubbing?
did it clear the driveway with the front bar on? :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
Old 14-12-2006, 11:02 PM   #632
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenaz
Even with the bonnet up the car looks awesome on the side of the road
I WAS THINKING THE EXACT SAME THING. :thebirds:
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
Old 14-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #633
Thanatos
E-Series Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
tyres still scrubbing?
did it clear the driveway with the front bar on? :P
Tyres seemed to scrub on tight corners.

It definitely doesn't clear the driveway well!! :P lol
Old 14-12-2006, 11:30 PM   #634
EFFalcon
Last warning

Hahahah.. was always gunna be the issue.
looks like the planks will be the go.
Old 15-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #635
FordGirl
The Goodz' PR Manager

Goddamn that car looks hot.

That's a huge PITA that that had to happen, I hope its all sorted out soon buddy.

You too Nhoj!! Knowing your car though it'll just fix itself again =P
Old 15-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #636
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos

OMFG that looks psycho in that pic! i think my heart skipped a few beats when i saw that pic! no bl00dy wonder it grabbed attention at the servo and when you drove past the holden boys! god damn!
Old 15-12-2006, 02:17 AM   #637
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos
Tyres seemed to scrub on tight corners.

It definitely doesn't clear the driveway well!! :P lol
It really depends which side i turn out of the driveway. The gutter is closer on the left hand side than the right (looking towards my house), so if i turn right than i can go on more of an angle and prevent "excessive" scraping. Turning left means i haveto reverse straighter and that's were we get problems. The thing that sucks is that turning left means i avoid speed humps, while turning right means i cop about 10 of them :P But i'm in no hurry to change the ride height, the cars got a slight rake to it and i love the look of it :P

Was talking to a few people about my rattling problems and they don't think it's bottom end related. Hard to explain what it sounds like but they suggested it could be something to do with the starter. It rattles badly for a split second on startup and the sound does seem to come from the bellhousing area, which led me to origionally believe it was something to do with the torque converter or flywheel. Since that's all been changed and the rattling is still there, i suppose the starter is the only other thing that hasn't been looked into. Crossing my fingers on this one

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Old 15-12-2006, 02:27 AM   #638
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
OMFG that looks psycho in that pic! i think my heart skipped a few beats when i saw that pic! no bl00dy wonder it grabbed attention at the servo and when you drove past the holden boys! god damn!
I'm sure Dave took a few more pics of her without my fat *** in the way. Dave! We need more pics please ;)

We couldn't believe the amount of show offs when we were on that particular stretch of road. We had one guy in a turbo BA fishying past us up the hill and then came back for another round. A fair few holdens sporting P'plates felt they had something to prove, but with my hood open i'm sure they knew who was boss ;) There was also one VT that lives around the corner of my street sporting a hood scoop, holden sticker across the windsheild, and a budget quad cold air induction was also in the lineup. Thing is when my cars running these types are no-were to be seen. Typical :/

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Old 15-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #639
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

oooh yeah of course they know whos boss! especially when they can see an intercooler and chrome piper covering the engine bay! i dont want to scare you but lets pray to god that know f***h**d will decide to key your car, if it were me (and you'll most likely be doing the same!) i wouldnt be leaving it know where by itself!
Old 15-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #640
Tiga_EL
Banned

**** i want it!!! As others have said, looks nuts in that 3rd pic.
Old 15-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #641
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
oooh yeah of course they know whos boss! especially when they can see an intercooler and chrome piper covering the engine bay! i dont want to scare you but lets pray to god that know f***h**d will decide to key your car, if it were me (and you'll most likely be doing the same!) i wouldnt be leaving it know where by itself!
It's locked up in my garage when at home and it wont be taken anywere were i haveto to park it for extended periods by itself.

Was thinking last night that i may check if the flywheel has any play in it. If for some stupid reason the bolts are loosening then it's one more thing that may be causing the rattling sound. Makes sense to me, as when the clutch is pushed in, the spigot bearing is pushing against the diaphram, which would stop any play in the flywheel. I know that when we origionally pulled the auto out, the bolts could be undone by hand, so maybe we didn't torque it up enough and the same thing has happened :/

Old 15-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #642
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
It's locked up in my garage when at home and it wont be taken anywere were i haveto to park it for extended periods by itself.

Was thinking last night that i may check if the flywheel has any play in it. If for some stupid reason the bolts are loosening then it's one more thing that may be causing the rattling sound. Makes sense to me, as when the clutch is pushed in, the spigot bearing is pushing against the diaphram, which would stop any play in the flywheel. I know that when we origionally pulled the auto out, the bolts could be undone by hand, so maybe we didn't torque it up enough and the same thing has happened :/
The spiggot bearing is the little bearing that sits in the crank, that the input shaft slide into. The bearings you're talking about is the thrust bearing.

Did you locktite the flywheel bolts? I wouldn't bet on a loose flywheel though. I mean, you and John aren't 5 speed experts. When you put that one in, neither of you knew how to drive a frikken stick shift!

The rattling could be a loose flywheel. Did you put a little bearing in the crank? It's called a spiggot bearing. It doesn't get pushed against the diaphram, the thrust bearing gets puched against the fins on the pressure plate, which disengages the clutch. The thrust bearing doesn't spin around..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 15-12-2006, 05:04 PM   #643
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

That EA just caused an upwelling of Little Daves <tm>
Old 15-12-2006, 05:33 PM   #644
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
The spiggot bearing is the little bearing that sits in the crank, that the input shaft slide into. The bearings you're talking about is the thrust bearing.

Did you locktite the flywheel bolts? I wouldn't bet on a loose flywheel though. I mean, you and John aren't 5 speed experts. When you put that one in, neither of you knew how to drive a frikken stick shift!

The rattling could be a loose flywheel. Did you put a little bearing in the crank? It's called a spiggot bearing. It doesn't get pushed against the diaphram, the thrust bearing gets puched against the fins on the pressure plate, which disengages the clutch. The thrust bearing doesn't spin around..
Flywheel bolts were loctited, so i suppose that probably not the problem. We did the clutch/gear box so long ago that i honestly can't remember how it went together. Either way i'll probably rip it out to have a proper look see...

Old 16-12-2006, 03:30 PM   #645
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

OK, i think i may know what the problem is. Was talking to turbo tony last night and he had the same symptoms on his car when he installed his brass button clutch. Seems that because the clutch plate is thinner, it causes a slight freeplay in the clutch fork. If that is the problem, it will be easily fixed by attaching a spring to the clutch fork so as to elminate the slight freeplay. It makes sense as the sound dissapears when you push the clutch pedal in, and also the sound is at lower RPM were the engine will be vibrating more agressively. If he had the same problem with his brass button clutch then i cant see why mine wouldn't do the same thing.

Old 16-12-2006, 06:16 PM   #646
XRated
Shoot.

Did you clip the thrust bearing into the clutch fork?

20V Turbo

Old 16-12-2006, 07:31 PM   #647
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
Did you clip the thrust bearing into the clutch fork?
Yes we did. Anyway, i checked today and the clutch fork has a slight play in it, but holding it only seemed to eliminate about 10% of the rattle. I think i have 2 seperate rattles, one from the clutch fork but the majority from something else.

We tested the car today and seems if you go above about 1200-1300rpm the rattle stops. Now for some reason my car likes to change it's idle patterns, and will hover from anywere between 800 and 1300rpm. Yesterday the car was idling at about 1300rpm, and only a slight rattle was heard. This would have been the clutch fork rattle which would stop as soon as we pushed the clutch in. Tested the car today and it was idling a little lower, but the rattles were much much louder, and woudn't go away even with the clutch pushed in.

I hate my life....

Old 16-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #648
Damo
Banned

do you have the little spacer plate that goes between the allen bolt and bellhousing on the fork
Old 17-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #649
efgiar
rofl copter

steve, sounds to me like flywheel bolts, onto the crank. mine was doing the same, would stop rattling above 1500~ but anywere below sorted sounded like a REALLY loose baffle or somthing tapping somthing else. take the inspection plate off and try and move your flywheel.

thats all
Old 17-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #650
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
steve, sounds to me like flywheel bolts, onto the crank. mine was doing the same, would stop rattling above 1500~ but anywere below sorted sounded like a REALLY loose baffle or somthing tapping somthing else. take the inspection plate off and try and move your flywheel.

If it is the flywheel bolts, i will be asking myself why they came loose in the first place. I know that the first time they came loose it was due to me being a bit rev happy, but we really haven't been giving it much at all (apart from that day Dave came over, and the problem was already present at that time). The bolts were definately tightened and loctited, so there is no chance that it was a case of installation error.

What i noticed was that ever since we first got the engine running, i would rev it in nuetral to about 3000-4000rpm, and as the revs dropped the whole car felt very shaky. Now if my flywheel bolts are loose, i'm led to believe that there may be a problem with something else that caused the engine to shake the bolts loose. If that's the case, i will probably look at replacing the bottom end.

Either way, i wont be checking anything till after new years. I really can't be bothered dealing with this car and would rather just enjoy my holidays without having this problem running through my head :/

Old 17-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #651
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

i think if your flywheel was loose you would have more noises than you are describing. I would not drive the car in fear of my legs being cut clean off.
Old 17-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #652
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

i have had my torque converter bots fall out on me. when it was running on one bolt it only made a little clunking noise in low rpm only. it also has a rattle as if you hold a piece of steel and rattle it side to side between 2 pieces of metal about 100mm apart.

i would definately get it looked at, as it if falls apart you will be kicking yourself for the fixing cost.

or buy my T5 as a spare
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
Old 17-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #653
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikcorty
i think if your flywheel was loose you would have more noises than you are describing. I would not drive the car in fear of my legs being cut clean off.
The noise is pretty damn bad tho, very very loud rattling, Sam (SB4) will vouch for that :P

Old 17-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #654
EFFalcon
Last warning

thread closed by request.
Closed Thread