Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 24-01-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Default Newbie - Cougar ownership query?

Hi all

I currently have a deposit on a 2001 5 speed Cougar. I'm just waiting on the Automobile Association to do an inspection (long way from me). I waded in here looking to read up on Cougars and have naturally come across the regular fuel pump issues - as well as another guy who's credo is about Cougars being high maintenance?

Am I about to buy into a reliability nightmare? I just LOVE the look of the Cougars; but am not keen on the car ending up an "off-roader"

Steve

stevie-gee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
AD26

Default Re: Newbie - Cougar ownership query?

Hi Steve,
I've only owned my cougar for 2 years now but I haven't had any major drama with it. The only words you should be ready for when you buy ANYTHING for it is, "what's a Ford Cougar?" or "never seen one of these before".

All in all, can be serviced at home with a jack but wheel stands make the job 1000 times easier. If you just want to drive it as is, it's a nice car.

If you're willing to spend some $$ though, you can get a little performance out of a CAI, exhaust and headers. Some other little fun pieces can be found in the US from a model that's roughly 3/4 compatible with our cougars called an SVT Contour.
From the SVT you can grab the upper intake manifold and throttle body(make sure they give you the bracket!!) which is a relatively simple home job as well.

You may have seen it mentioned already in your browsing but just in case, rockauto is a great place to get parts from. Make sure you get everything you need though as it's international shipping and can add up. Also, the cougars had a change in 99 that most sites with parts list up to 2001. Searching 2002 will get you the right parts.

Welcome to the forum, hope that info helps
AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD26 View Post
Hi Steve,
I've only owned my cougar for 2 years now but I haven't had any major drama with it. Welcome to the forum, hope that info helps
Thanks AD - that does help - a lot! Obviously I should keep the fuel tank pretty well topped up; just to avoid the pump issues that others seem to have.

Cheers

Steve
Old 30-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
AD26

The part to correct the 1/4 tank issue is Motorcraft PFS-289. It's a re-designed pump for our tanks that was done for free as a recall in the US(not in Australia though :/). The difference is that it hangs from the top of the tank and floats down with the fuel instead of being fixed to the floor of the tank and having the bottom intake of the pump clog up with gunk.

Also, while we're on fuel pumps.. should you choose some rather fuel demanding mods(forced induction), the Focus ST(or SVT focus in US if you order from overseas) fuel pump without the assembly is rated alot higher and fits in our pump housings. That said, the standard pump is capable of supporting a 3L engine and all the usual bolt ons such as exhaust, extractors, CAI, UIM, etc. Might be useless info to you but now you know lol
AD26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #5
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD26 View Post
The part to correct the 1/4 tank issue is Motorcraft PFS-289. It's a re-designed pump for our tanks that was done for free as a recall in the US(not in Australia though :/). The difference is that it hangs from the top of the tank and floats down with the fuel instead of being fixed to the floor of the tank and having the bottom intake of the pump clog up with gunk.
Yeah - I saw that but was not keen on the $500+ price tag for something that merely carries fuel outta the tank?

Has anyone found a cheaper option? Is the Focus option cheaper and does it still keep the tank gauge sender?

Cheers

Steve
Old 31-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #6
thearrow

Steve, you have to understand you are buying a FWD car that is more than ten years old and probably over the magic 100000km mark.

This means that not only on a Cougar but any car of this age is going to have maintenance issues. The good thing about owning a Cougar is that you have at least access to cheap parts (via Rockauto) and a ready source for parts for modifications from other sundry suppliers in the US.

My list of mods is at an end as I have gone as far as I really want to without spending big bucks so maintenance is the issue these days.

I will have my new fuel pump fitted at the next service then after that will get my leaking timing chain cover fixed (this alone is a big repair).

Having said all that I still walk out of my house in the morning say to myself "WOHOOO look what I get to drive today".

Got pulled over for random breath test the other day and had a chat with the officer about how good it still looked.

Good luck with your purchase and if you need any more help just ask.

Regards
David

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
stevie-gee
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearrow View Post
Having said all that I still walk out of my house in the morning say to myself "WOHOOO look what I get to drive today".

Got pulled over for random breath test the other day and had a chat with the officer about how good it still looked.

Good luck with your purchase and if you need any more help just ask.

Regards
David
Thanks David - yeah they are SEXY looking vehicles! Now - for me to find one in as good a condition as I can within my price range. Had a private seller yesterday that promised to ring me back with his best price - never did? And a dealer who won't budge off his advertised price - and he needs to IMO.

Steve