Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 23-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
cobra269au

Default Engine Cuts out, bucks on accelleration

Hi everyone,
I am hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction. I have looked briefly at some of the recent threads but haven't seen this specific problem. Apologies if it has come up before.

I recently bought a Probe with a 2.5l engine and 4 sp auto.

When the fuel tank is over 1/2 full, it runs beautifully. Below 1/2 tank is begins to cut out, first on left hand turns then as the tank gets lower on right turns as well; when it gets below 1/4 tank, it bucks on accelleration in a straight line.

I suspected it might be a fuel pickup problem but when running at 60km/h even at low fuel, it accellerates without problem.

I do occasionally have the check engine light come on, but I'm led to believe this is related to emission controls on the car rather than to this problem.

Has anyone experienced this sort of problem? Can anyone give me a clue as to what it might be?

cobra269au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Engine Cuts out, bucks on accelleration

Worn fuel pump?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
thearrow

IMHO there are two probable causes 1: You have a vacuum leak somewhere in the system (in my case it was a cracked hose connector that some electrical tape fixed) or 2: It is a faulty fuel pump in which case it will need to be replaced (an expensive option)..

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #4
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How old are the plug leads? I had the hesitate issues but not related to the fuel issues you seem to be having.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post