Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Burnt Smell Coming From The Vent

Hi Everyone

I went to drive the ute today and could smell something burning. The next thing I know, there was smoke coming out of the centre vents and around the centre console.

I have pulled the centre 'egg' and glovebox out trying to find if there was any sort of evidence of a burnt plug and/or wires. I have not so far been able to locate anything that would indicate that it was electrical but there very well could be something hidden behind something that I am not aware of.

Also, everything is working as it should. The fan is not making any funny noises.

I have put everything back in and now I can only smell the burnt smell when I turn the fan on though the smell does disappear after a minute or so. The weird thing is that I can smell the burnt smell through the centre vents but not so much the side vents.

While it seems to have fixed itself at the moment I hate it when something does fix itself as it only comes back to bite you on the **** at the worst possible time. On top of that, if it does play up again, I don't want to be stuck on the highway watching the car burn to the ground.

Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to explain in detail what has happened. Any help would be appreciated.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Burnt Smell Coming From The Vent

Dead leave in the fan duct started burning when you turned the heater on perhaps.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Can you describe the smell in more detail? Toxic? Wire's heating up? I'd link to Cav's 18 years of farting post, but that might be going too far.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I'd link to Cav's 18 years of farting
Can't be that as PG2 is still alive it seems.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Dead leave in the fan duct started burning when you turned the heater on perhaps.
It could be, when I bought it last year I had to clean a lot a rubbish out of it. When I pulled out the centre vent today the vent pipes were covered in thick slimy dirt (for the want of a better description).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT
Can you describe the smell in more detail? Toxic? Wire's heating up? I'd link to Cav's 18 years of farting post, but that might be going too far.
I can't see where any of the wires were heating up. As soon as it did it I pulled out the stereo and could not find anything hot.

Yeah, a toxic smell - like burnt plastic or wiring. Not so toxic as to be Cav's farts though - he is not allowed anywhere near my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
Can't be that as PG2 is still alive it seems.
I have smelt one of Cav's farts and survived... just.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It might mean that debris in the vent has corroded through the casing of the fan speed controller and it may soon ultimately fail. See https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11319441 etc Pull the fan speed controller module and see if the T0-3 Transistor casing where it sits inside the vent has corroded.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:21 PM   #7
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
It might mean that debris in the vent has corroded through the casing of the fan speed controller and it may soon ultimately fail. See https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11319441 etc Pull the fan speed controller module and see if the T0-3 Transistor casing where it sits inside the vent has corroded.
Thanks mate.

Where is the fan speed controller? How do I get it out?

I've just been down to the car and have no idea what I am looking at and/or for.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It only applies if you have climate control but you need to remove the glove box and it's a silver rectangular box that is screwed against the duct just below the fan. Or download the factory workshop manual from https://www.motorcraftservice.com/ and Section 16-3-12 shows a picture with removal instructions. Edit: Like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-AU-...kAAOSwSOJc5jGl Not that ebay one has a corroded transistor case and will also soon fail if it hasn't already.

Last edited by aussiblue; 08-07-2019 at 08:40 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
It only applies if you have climate control but you need to remove the glove box and it's a silver rectangular box that is screwed against the duct just below the fan. Or download the factory workshop manual from https://www.motorcraftservice.com/ and Section 16-3-12 shows a picture with removal instructions.
Ahhhhh, I don't have climate control.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

PS In any event while you have the fan speed controller out, stick the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner in there and vacuum all the old leaves and other debris out. Also look at the heater core for any green stains indicating coolant seepage.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ahhhhh, I don't have climate control.
You will then have a resistor pack in the same position that will get leaves and debris to burnt and short so pull that and vacuum it too. like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Fal...frcectupt=true
Old 08-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #12
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

Yeah, I'm thinking the resistor pack too..

http://wwww.fordforums.com.au/showth...ts#post4874065
http://wwww.fordforums.com.au/showth...ts#post4921461
http://wwww.fordforums.com.au/showth...ts#post4648506
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #13
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Aussie and Jason, I don't think you both are giving me enough credit for how stupid I really am.

Where exactly is the resistor?

Old 08-07-2019, 09:52 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Right there in the centre of your picture behind the brown and grey plug and socket for the power cable for the fan that also plugs into the resistor pack at one end. You'll have to remove that metal bracket first.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #15
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's what I thought of first - the fan resistors.
If it happens again, select full speed as the resistors are taken out of the circuit.
Some pics here of pre AU's, so it should be nearby.
http://www.fordmods.com/ford-technic...ate-control-d8
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #16
JasonACT
Away on leave

Don't let Cav see that picture - it looks like some rust and we will never see the end of it.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:09 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

No, that’s deteriorated weatherstripping foam and the grey fresh/recirc flap.

The rust is further up, I can smell it.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #18
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Just pulled out the fan resistor. While no leaves were stuck in the coils, a heap of debris fell out of the hole when I pulled the resistor out. Guess what the debris smelt like?

A big shout out to aussiblue and JasonACT for their help. Without it, I was pulling the dash out on Thursday.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There’s only two good reasons debris are there. Rust or vermin.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #20
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonACT View Post
Don't let Cav see that picture - it looks like some rust and we will never see the end of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
No, that’s deteriorated weatherstripping foam and the grey fresh/recirc flap.

The rust is further up, I can smell it.

I checked that earlier. It is like cloth. Actually, there is some blue almost T-shirt like material stuck behind it.

I wouldn't surprise me if it has rust up there - there amount of damp crap I have got out of the nooks and crannies in this car has been amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I found an ants nest inside the left inner guard.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Unfortunately thin leaves like those from peppermint trees, wattles, pine needles etc can get past the cowl grill etc and get in there particularly is regularly parked under trees or bushes. As discussed elsewhere, behind that resistor pack or fan speed controller is also a reputed coveted hidey hole for little green bags of certain "herbs" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b1wt3-zpzQ

Last edited by aussiblue; 08-07-2019 at 10:39 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
It is like cloth. Actually, there is some blue almost T-shirt like material stuck behind it.
So you think using blue bag instead of a little green one will disguise the illicit contents ?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:33 PM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The blue fabric was to dampen the flap noise I think, it seems to be on all of them. It can come partially unstuck and stop the flap operating correctly.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 11:12 PM   #24
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you're right - they do make a clunking noise without that fabric - I wonder if the AU recirc boxes need repairing like the E series ones ?
I normally glue some flyscreen to the tops of those, and to the underside of the wiper arm cowls - cures that blower motor 'ticking'.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I still think it would be a good idea to pull the dash out, clean everything properly and replace all the crumbled foam.

But I’m OCD like that. And it’s definitely not a one day job.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #26
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
I still think it would be a good idea to pull the dash out, clean everything properly and replace all the crumbled foam.

Don't worry, I'm OCD too. I got in there where I could reach today and cleaned it all.

I probably will pull the dash out when we move closer to my current place of work. At the moment, I am doing 1,200k a week just to and from work and need the car going and reliable.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Nah; I'd recommend you wait until the heater core fails and/or AC evaporator, as they inevitably will in the next year or so, and do that then; not a job to do more often than needed. Meantime a vacuum nozzle in the floor vents and behind that resistor pack hole will get most of it.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:23 AM   #28
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, it's one of those jobs you need to provide some logistics - first thing I do is make a list of all the repairs that require the dash out - recirc box fix, screen/floor flap repair, evaporator, heater core, blower motor service, two piece pedalbox, etc.