Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2024, 08:17 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Dream Garage Build

I've been watching this series over the last week or so, this is almost what I would do if money was no object. Dream are free, so maybe one day I'll make that dream a reality, even if it's not quite as over the top.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...u0GK9ZzNgOHT-6

Personally, I would have extended the wash bay to allow a car to fit fully inside a fully enclosed, climate-controlled environment. The dual Kranzle is overboard, a single Aussie-spec KHD-10 wouldn't be that far off the flow of those two lean K1322's.

I would absolutely do a flush fit scissor lift like they went with, but would only have one for floor space versatility and not the three they installed. I could take or leave the killer audio setup. I love the green cabinets, but not sure I would do that, probably stick with black or grey. I'm lucky enough to already have Swisstrax flooring, but I think I would add my two favorite colours into the mix here, red and blue.

I would have the loft setup as a lounge/living space. Kitchen and laundry somewhere in the mix too.

The above link is the playlist for the entire project, below is the final result.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2024, 01:20 AM   #2
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dream Garage Build

Looks interesting.

I don't get that floor, wouldn't that trap dirt all day long and be impossible to keep clean, then there would be the mould issue from moisture?

Instead of three drive on lifts I would get an actual lift where you can work on your car.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2024, 04:07 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Looks interesting.

I don't get that floor, wouldn't that trap dirt all day long and be impossible to keep clean, then there would be the mould issue from moisture?

Instead of three drive on lifts I would get an actual lift where you can work on your car.
On the lift, I've never really understood that argument, but then I've never had or used a lift before. From what I can see, a scissor lift gives you access to most of what an actual lift would offer, front and rear axles, exhaust and driveshaft, transmission, brakes, oil changes, wheels off detailing........

I initially dismissed Swisstrax Ribtrax tiles because of the slotted design trapping dirt. I even looked into the flat and Diamond Trax versions. But the more I looked into it, the more the Ribtrax made sense.

Before the install, I would have leaves and dust and twigs and pretty much anything blowing into the garage and going anywhere and everywhere. Blow out the garage and it would all be back in less than a day, and all the way through. If I went with the two alternatives, or polished concrete or epoxy, that situation would still exist.

Post install, anything that blows in is trapped within the first few rows of tiles. Dust settles through the tiles and keeps my work surface clean. When I washing and drying cars, the water falls through and then drains out via the channels molded into the underside of the tiles, so I'm not standing in puddles.

So yes, the dirt and water falls through and is trapped under the tiles, that's the point. Trust me, I thought it would be a problem, but its not. Once a week, I'll blow or vacuum out the front half of the garage which lifts any debris from the tiles. Thing is, I was doing that pre-Swisstrax, but wasn't getting the result I was wanting. Post Swisstrax, it isn't always needed now.

If I was metal working in the garage, I wouldn't bother having a nice floor at all. I did have some nerves about lifting cars on the tiles, but I have got around that by using rubber gym mats under the jack and jack stands, works brilliantly.

I would 100% do Swisstrax again, it's transformed the working space and keeps the everything clean despite what you might think.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2024, 09:43 PM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, but I still can't see it being practical in a workshop environment.

I guess it works if you are not doing any actual 'work' such as oil changes, body repairs, engine rebuilds, painting, sanding etc.

I have spend an extraordinary amount thinking of flooring solutions for my home workshop, but at the end of the day bare concrete seems to be the most practical.

I thought about epoxy, sealing, various mat systems similar to what you have, but personally I think it would be destroyed in no time, the first time you spend a day welding, or grinding or cutting rust out etc any of those systems will be destroyed.

So I have resigned myself to a bare concrete floor which gets blown out with a blower at the end of the days work.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2024, 10:59 PM   #5
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Interesting, but I still can't see it being practical in a workshop environment.

I guess it works if you are not doing any actual 'work' such as oil changes, body repairs, engine rebuilds, painting, sanding etc.

I have spend an extraordinary amount thinking of flooring solutions for my home workshop, but at the end of the day bare concrete seems to be the most practical.

I thought about epoxy, sealing, various mat systems similar to what you have, but personally I think it would be destroyed in no time, the first time you spend a day welding, or grinding or cutting rust out etc any of those systems will be destroyed.

So I have resigned myself to a bare concrete floor which gets blown out with a blower at the end of the days work.
Hmmm, so I haven't actually been "working" in my garage? Thanks for the dismissal.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2024, 11:15 PM   #6
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Hmmm, so I haven't actually been "working" in my garage? Thanks for the dismissal.
No idea what you have done.

But I would be very surprised if that flooring would hold up after a few weeks of welding, grinding, body repair, rust repairs, painting, pulling out gear boxes, motors, engine oil spills, grease, sanding body panels etc, basic restoration work I do almost every day.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave