Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #1
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Pet hates - automotive

I absolutely hate vehicles/people that have replaced their globes with higher wattage units, it is dangerous to oncomming traffic, as it blinds the driver. This can cause a head-on collision.

The standard globe is 60/55W, I'm pretty sure that 60 is low beam & high beam is the 60 + 55W.
There are two popular replacements, 100/55W & 130/90W

Anyone using a higher wattage low beem :the_finge
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Higher wattage, melt headlights, you a fool to use them anways.

I hate coloured parkers, like red and green they are illegal and look friggen stupid IMO.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One word and that is "WAITING". I don't have much patience. I want my car back ASAP!

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
One word and that is "WAITING". I don't have much patience. I want my car back ASAP!
Amen. know what you mean!
Old 29-06-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Oh and washers LED's how can anyone think they look good, honestly.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

People driving with parkers on when they should have their headlights on
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Above 55w on low beam is also against ADR's as far as I know and therefore illegal.
LED's on washers RICE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same goes for the parkers!
Unpainted body kits
Big wings on stock V6 dunnydores
Dunnydores
People who drive dunnydores and think their V6 will stomp on an XR8
Huge Tacho's on stock motors RICE!!!!!!!!!!

Finally, know it alls that try and tell me that a stock XR6T will whip my eight, no matter what is done to my car (always people that don't drive a ford and usually dunnydore drivers)
Old 29-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
The Taipan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Gecko, I just read your signature, and would like to know about the underdrive pulleys, ie. does the aircon run with less power? does the alternator make enough current with such a device? Obviously you may not know the answer to this, but I guess they sound like a great idea, but I was just wondering about the negative side of them if there is one?

SL
The Taipan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
Dunnydores
I agree there, however, I'll add more...

- Tachos that I can see from inside my car, even if it's worked, don't like
- Neons (Underbody, washers, valve caps)
- Stickers/decals

I will think of more.
Old 29-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #10
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Above 55w on low beam is also against ADR's as far as I know and therefore illegal.
Same goes for the parkers!
Unpainted body kits
Dunnydores

Finally, know it alls that try and tell me that a stock XR6T will whip my eight, no matter what is done to my car (always people that don't drive a ford and usually dunnydore drivers)
I saw a Commodore with an un-painted kit on and huge wing at back the other day and I had a mate in the car and he's just looked at me and gone "what the hell was that?" Lol it certainly was an eye-sore.

Also got to agree with those annoying high watt lights - I'm always getting blinded by them.

Other thing I can't stand (and sorry for anyone on here that has these) but I can't stand those stupid big stickers that say stuff like "bi$ch on board" or "bite me" etc. I just think they're pathetic! Lol reminds me of one night ages ago I was out with a few friends and we pulled up next to a VN that had "0-bi$ch in 3 seconds" on it. My mate yells out the window "oi luv 0-bi$ch in 3 seconds hey? (then points over to me and says) "She can get their quicker - she drives a Ford" I didn't know whether to laugh or punch him lol.

But oh well, everyone has a right to do what they want to their own car :
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #11
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

i hate anything to do with excels actually excels are my pet hate, burnouts on street are another, wgaf if you can spin your wheels plus most of the d1ckheads lose control anyway and hit things so i spose it makes up for it, unless they hit my car :

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #12
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ridiculously oversized "sports exhausts" on non performance cars, e.g. excels, barina's ect.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
ridiculously oversized "sports exhausts" on non performance cars, e.g. excels, barina's ect.
AAAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH yes, why do they do it, my mate has a 85corolla with the most stupid exhaust on it i swear its the size of a dinner plate you know the ones they have on skylines, all you ever hear from that thing is the scrapes it makes everywhere he goes AAARRGGHHH i hate it

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #14
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
ooh yeh thats heaps annoying.

another is when you go to overtake someone and they speed up so you cant pass...
How annoying is that? And I don't get their point in doing so. All I'm trying to do is get past them as their too slow and yet they see me as trying to be a hero by overtaking them so they speed up. Ridiculous!!

Oh and just because I drive a nice car with nice rims, tinted windows, personalised plates etc and so on DOESN'T mean I'm trying to be a hero. It just means I have a nice car but nooooo pleeeease for the love of god bait me everytime I stop at the lights because ofcourse I think I'm better than you FCS _

I'll have a sticker made up "yes you are better than me - get over it"

Quote:
Yeap that would be my sister. Back when she got her Excel Coupe she thought it was the hottest car around. Threw on a sports muffler and big a$$ tip. Oh I use to give her heaps over it lol. Now she hates the car and is embaressed to drive it LOL.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
Other thing I can't stand (and sorry for anyone on here that has these) but I can't stand those stupid big stickers that say stuff like "bi$ch on board" or "bite me" etc. I just think they're pathetic! Lol reminds me of one night ages ago I was out with a few friends and we pulled up next to a VN that had "0-bi$ch in 3 seconds" on it. My mate yells out the window "oi luv 0-bi$ch in 3 seconds hey? (then points over to me and says) "She can get their quicker - she drives a Ford" I didn't know whether to laugh or punch him lol.
That is really funny. Good call too.
Old 29-06-2005, 06:06 PM   #16
MattyJ

Quote:
A wing on any car that serves no performance purpose is 'rice' IMO.

Quote:
Dunnydores
You're just biased.

Quote:
XR8's are not fast cars in comparison to alot of other 8's as they weigh alot, and hence that is why alot of 'dunnydores' (sounds stupid) do actually stomp them. If you're referring to people with stock older V6 ecotecs than i can understand you not liking them just talking crap, but there are alot of unstock Commodore V6's that will beat XR8's. A good driver in a new VZ SV6 .vs a dodgy driver in a BA XR8 will generally win and an SV6 with minor mods (exhaust, new ratios, etc) will beat XR8's no problem.

To top that off my biggest automotive pet hate is biased people, especially when its to Holden or Ford as there is so many people like this out there !

On the subject of lights being too bright. My parents both drive 100 Series Landcruisers and so often people flash us with their lights as if the highbeams are on, when they're not. The wattage is perfectly legal as they are the stock globes. When the highbeams actually do go on they realise how bright things can be :P

Cheers,

-Matty J

Last edited by MattyJ; 29-06-2005 at 06:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 06:15 PM   #17
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyJ

You're just biased.

XR8's are not fast cars in comparison to alot of other 8's as they weigh alot, and hence that is why alot of 'dunnydores' (sounds stupid) do actually stomp them. If you're referring to people with stock older V6 ecotecs than i can understand you not liking them just talking crap, but there are alot of unstock Commodore V6's that will beat XR8's. A good driver in a new VZ SV6 .vs a dodgy driver in a BA XR8 will generally win and an SV6 with minor mods (exhaust, new ratios, etc) will beat XR8's no problem.

To top that off my biggest automotive pet hate is biased people, especially when its to Holden or Ford as there is so many people like this out there !

On the subject of lights being too bright. My parents both drive 100 Series Landcruisers and so often people flash us with their lights as if the highbeams are on, when they're not. The wattage is perfectly legal as they are the stock globes. When the highbeams actually do go on they realise how bright things can be :P

Cheers,

-Matty J
I could say that you're biased to XR8's :evil_laug

Another pet hate is Landcruisers with sagged rear ends or heavy loads at the back, which makes the front end point up causing headlights to look like high beams, which blind oncoming traffic, which flashes the cruiser & then get blinded even more by the cruiser turning their high-beams on.

Have you physically checked that the globes are standard?

People don't flash their lights at other vehicles for no reason (mostly).
Old 29-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #18
MattyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep

Another pet hate is Landcruisers with sagged rear ends or heavy loads at the back, which makes the front end point up causing headlights to look like high beams, which blind oncoming traffic, which flashes the cruiser & then get blinded even more by the cruiser turning their high-beams on.

If i was biased towards XR8's i'd be backing them up? If you are reffering to me being biased towards them being bad, dad used to own one and i found it a reasonably nice car. If you're calling me biased towards reffering to the car, it was the car in discussion buddy :voldar02:

A) My parents only tow boats during the day and the cars don't sag very much as they're designed for towing heavy loads.
B) The cars are about 2 months old, the globes are deffinitly standard however the high beams are aftermarket lights.
C) The lights are very bright (the brightest i've seen come standard on a car) anyway, but they're totally legal.
Old 29-06-2005, 06:59 PM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If i was biased towards XR8's i'd be backing them up? If you are reffering to me being biased towards them being bad, dad used to own one and i found it a reasonably nice car. If you're calling me biased towards reffering to the car, it was the car in discussion buddy :voldar02:

A) My parents only tow boats during the day and the cars don't sag very much as they're designed for towing heavy loads.
B) The cars are about 2 months old, the globes are deffinitly standard however the high beams are aftermarket lights.
C) The lights are very bright (the brightest i've seen come standard on a car) anyway, but they're totally legal.

I will keep it short. My pet hate is some little twerp that come on to the forums and think thay know everything, because there dad has one or use to have one. when in actual fact they know 10-10th's of sweet f**k all...

Last edited by jabba; 29-06-2005 at 07:06 PM.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #20
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep

Ahhhhh I'm afraid so my other car is a 93 Magna and I get flashed all the time from drop kicks who think I am on hi beam, my low beam is that crap I need candles out the front to tell me if the lights are on.

even when they see me drop the hi beam they flash me.
Old 25-07-2005, 05:58 PM   #21
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1FORME
Ahhhhh I'm afraid so my other car is a 93 Magna and I get flashed all the time from drop kicks who think I am on hi beam, my low beam is that crap I need candles out the front to tell me if the lights are on.

even when they see me drop the hi beam they flash me.
I suggest that you the get angle of your headlights adjusted, they're obviously aimed to high.
Old 29-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #22
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A good driver in a new VZ SV6 .vs a dodgy driver in a BA XR8 will generally win and an SV6 with minor mods (exhaust, new ratios, etc) will beat XR8's no problem.
_

SV6's run mid 15's. XR8's run high 13's low 14's.

Sorry I dont see it happening (especially with "no problems")
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 29-06-2005, 06:32 PM   #23
MattyJ

Quote:
_

SV6's run mid 15's. XR8's run high 13's low 14's.

Sorry I dont see it happening (especially with "no problems")
Read it again.

I said a dodgy driver in an XR8 .vs a good driver in an SV6 would possibly win.

Now that statement and the next are not the same, hence the 'and' in between.

I said an SV6 with minor mods will beat an XR8 with no problems. XR8's run mid 14's, and once in a blue moon with a good driver run 13.9?. That's half a second difference. Minor mods will make up this time plus more very easily - the ratios on the SV6's standard are terrible and were designed to restrict the car in the first place, they're detuned to the max.

Understand?
Old 29-06-2005, 06:39 PM   #24
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I said a dodgy driver in an XR8 .vs a good driver in an SV6 would possibly win.
No you said the SV6 will win "no problem"

Quote:
Understand?
No, not really, even with a crap driver the torque on the XR8 will make up for it and reel it in. Besides you cant compare modded vs stock

Old 29-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #25
deankdx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pet hates are utes that never see a load, 4WDs that never see dirt,
people sitting too close behind, especially when you are towing a trailer.

and the topic of the month workers rights getting taken away little by litle year by year
deankdx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2005, 06:28 PM   #26
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:

You're just biased.

Cheers,

-Matty J
Sorry, was refering to V6 hero dunnydores.
As for a SV6 beating an XR8 with even drivers ( keep it real, I could put marcos ambrose in a mazda 3 and he would whip most SS's + XR8's on a circuit) there is no way it is even close. I drive SV6's at work and own an XR8 and I can tell you the SV6 is nice but are not that quick, come to think of it, it would have to be a really crappy driver in the XR8. IMO the new V6 is a dog, now torque down low and the old one felt like it had more punch (don't let the figures fool you 190kw, yeah right!)
Old 29-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #27
MattyJ

Quote:
As for a SV6 beating an XR8 with even drivers ( keep it real, I could put marcos ambrose in a mazda 3 and he would whip most SS's + XR8's on a circuit) there is no way it is even close. I drive SV6's at work and own an XR8 and I can tell you the SV6 is nice but are not that quick, come to think of it, it would have to be a really crappy driver in the XR8. IMO the new V6 is a dog, now torque down low and the old one felt like it had more punch (don't let the figures fool you 190kw, yeah right!)
In a straight line Marcos Ambrose wouldn't be that much quicker than most good drivers and i never said anything about around a track.

SV6's do put out 190kW. My brother has an SV6 with minor mods and it beat my dad's XR8 over and over again. My dad isn't a hack either and the car wasn't a lemon. So lets be realistic and stop thinking an XR8 is a performance demon, they weigh too much.

As for automatic performance cars being a pet hate. Some people have the money and would stick with an auto no mater if they had a Mazda or a Porsche - not everyones a speed loving sports car enthusiast but they can still afford them.
Old 29-06-2005, 06:50 PM   #28
MattyJ

You guys are kind of contradicting yourselves. You said Commodore V6's that think they can beat XR8's annoy you.

Well ok lets not go into details of drivers and whether they're standard or modded. THis information is required when comparing one car to another.

Some XR8's beat Commodore V6's. . .Some Commodore V6's beat XR8's - what a fantastic comment to make, thanks for the information fellas!
Old 29-06-2005, 06:44 PM   #29
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

I drive SV6's at work and own an XR8 and I can tell you the SV6 is nice but are not that quick, come to think of it, it would have to be a really crappy driver in the XR8. IMO the new V6 is a dog, now torque down low and the old one felt like it had more punch (don't let the figures fool you 190kw, yeah right!)[/QUOTE]

Talking of crappy drivers,was that the car in the holden ad where the guy and his brainwashed kid were grinning like village idiots?, If it was it had me reaching for the remote real quick.
For some reason my AU2 Futura also seems to have 'stock' bright low beams too. I get people giving me the burn all the time at night?
Old 29-06-2005, 11:39 PM   #30
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
Yep, driven one of those new fangled Alloytechs... Slow and gutless is the best description....