Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

View Poll Results: Original or Sun roof?
Original 13 81.25%
Sun roof 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17-05-2009, 12:22 AM   #1
XA Coupe 666
2many projects No time/$

Default Need your opinion. 2 xa coupes which to do as a GT mock up

Hi guys,
Sorry for this, its a bit long winded and for my user name, pi**ed when I did it.
Got a poser for you. Bought a XA coupe about 28 years ago. It was optioned from the factory with vynal roof, full GT front, GT wheel, 7 grand tacho 140 speedo and gauges, 302 toploader. Standard diff and is just a 500. I didn't like the XA fronts back then so I put a XC front (Including V8 radiator support panel) with rectangle lights, took off the vynal roof, stipped it backed (Orange with GT stripes), put on a XB Gt bonnet, painted it black (Henry got it right), mild 351 and 9" diff. Shortly after putting on the road I lost my licence for 2 years and the only way I could stop myself from driving it was to start again. There were some imperfections in the body so I stripped it back to bare metal and pulled down the motor for a complete rebuild. Filled all unused holes in the engine bay cut the battery stay out, hidden wirng loom, welded & filled all seams blah, blah, blah. It is still off the road, you know the story, marriage, kids, house debt, etc. A friend then gave me a genuine phase four sump which came off a race car from that era (I have since bought another). This started me thinking. Then I came across another XA coupe rolling shell, it was a 6 but has a funtioning sun roof. By this stage I had warmed to the XA's and thought I would do it up as a phase 4 copy. So Istarted collecting GT bits. I have a mint bonnet (I still have the original but is in need of repair), 2 driver guards, 1 passenger guard, a grille that only has one small crack, 2 8 grand tachos, another GT wheel, another 9" diff but is disc the other is drum with panel van drums. But I have now started to think I should put the other back to original seeing though it actually came from the factory that way.

Hense my question.

I want your thoughts on which one to put all the GT stuff on.

The one that came from the factory looking that way
or
the one with the sun roof?

Both are only 500's so either will only be a copy.

I will put some pics on later which may or may not help decide things.

The thing is after nearly a quarter of a century off the road I'm thinking I'll be lucky to do one let alone two so I need to choose and sell the other. (Not for some time yet)

So guys & girls, what's your thoughts????????

Last edited by XA Coupe 666; 17-05-2009 at 12:36 AM.
XA Coupe 666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Hmmm...I can see why you are indecisive. I think pics would definitely help people make a decision but really it comes down to personal choice. For me, I would do up which ever one is in better condition...That is just me though. I am sure others will have a difference of opinion.

Good luck with whatever you do and Welcome to the forums.
Old 17-05-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Welcome to the forums mate

I would put the sunroof into the factory original XA 302 car

However, I would restore back to its XA heritage as opposed to being an XA/XB/XC hybrid!

ie XA rear, repeater lights, XB Bonnet, XC Grille etc

But alot depends how good the other 6 cyl coupe body is

If it is quite clean and not suffering form the usual rust issues - rebuild that one too!

Throwing up pics will help you get more feedback
Just my two cents mate

PS: as for the sump there are plenty of them kicking about mate!

Last edited by gcg2503; 17-05-2009 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Sump
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
XA Coupe 666
2many projects No time/$

I thought about it but then thought why butcher a perfectly good shell to put the roof on the other.

The sump was just one of the triggers for doing a GT copy but wasn't only about 250 made? I know you can buy replicas but these are originals.

This was a spur of the moment thing so when I get a chance I'll put some pics on.

Basically the original one needs about a weekends work to be ready to paint.
The sunroof needs heaps but isn't too bad.
Bit of rust on the roof & roof sill, rear wheel arches, rear window sill (Gone) but the rest is pretty good.

Just saw my user sign (the sump thing), was drunk when I registered, dont know why.

Last edited by XA Coupe 666; 17-05-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 17-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #5
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

the most important thing is the condition of both vehicles. a sun roof would be nice, but the overall job at the end is the only thing that matters. if shell with the sun roof is in better condition and can be fixed better, i would look at that option. providing you have all of the bits. i believe they can be expensive, to get parts for. also make sure that it is properly fitted and sealed. the car will probably not see the neglect it may have in the past, but sun roofs are just another area to pick up dirt, debris and therefore rust

in short, a factory sunroof would be ideal, but the rest of the car has to be right as well. if your first coupe is a better starting point i would go for that. the car is worth more than some of the parts

there is a user on these forums ijg033, i think his name is. he posts in the classic falcons a lot. i believe he can fit factory style sunroofs just right. i think he has the jigs and moulds from the factory, so the if car without the roof is better, it may be an option swap it over

also regarding the xc front (the bonnet does not make much difference), what do you really like. if you like xa's better now, then change it. i personally do not mind a few different styles, providing they are all ford and from a similar era. i would have to say that though, because i have an early xb with xa tail lights, half landau back end, xc bonnet and landau dash, with custom console and parcel shelf. it only matters what you want, however i see the attraction of keeping it original - it just isn't for me

Last edited by gtxb67; 17-05-2009 at 10:40 AM.
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, Is it an original or aftermarket sunroof? I reckon I would sell the 6 with sunroof, And do the 302 up as an original XA and add your GT bits to that. I would also put the vinyl roof back on just to be a bit different.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe PhIV
I had warmed to the XA's and thought I would do it up as a phase 4 copy.
A Phase 4 copy would look weird since they were never made, I'd leave that project to a sedan.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
smally289
growing up is optional

If you can get a letter of verification from Ford showing all the factory fitted goodies your original coupe had, then I would restore it back to that spec and make a GT replica out of the sunroof car.
Just what you need, 2 projects!!!
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #9
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I would start with whichever one has the best body. If it comes to pass that the original 302 one has the best body then there's no way I'd go cutting turrets etc. I reckon those sunroofs are more trouble than they're worth!! If you do the other one then great, you have the factory sunroof.

Either way, you'll end up with a great coupe!! The XA GT looks tuff as. What were you thinking in terms of body colour and interior?

Good luck with it.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #10
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where is the neither option????
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #11
XA Coupe 666
2many projects No time/$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
A Phase 4 copy would look weird since they were never made, I'd leave that project to a sedan.
I know but seeing though its a mock up I would do as it would have been.
I did read, in a mag I have somewhere, that when they pulled the pin on the phase 4 there was a coupe that was half done. I have hunted for that mag with no success and yes I can hear the muffled sniggers of doubt that I imagined it and maybe I did. Doesn't really matter, what I mean by mock up is just the overall appearance.

As for the sun roof I too was worried about leaks and such but correct me if I am wrong, something I am alot, factory fitted sunroofs in XA coupe was not rare but scarce?

Thanks for the input fellas, given me more to think about.
Old 20-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
BOSSGT302

Mate, how about the 6 gets a bit of a modern tweak. Full 310kw turbo from a F6 planted in the front, IRS down the back. Just an idea. If i had $$$ would luVVV to do this build. PICs when you have started what ever. Cheers. Barnsey
Old 21-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #13
XB74GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe PhIV
I did read, in a mag I have somewhere, that when they pulled the pin on the phase 4 there was a coupe that was half done. I have hunted for that mag with no success and yes I can hear the muffled sniggers of doubt that I imagined it and maybe I did.

No my friend you did not imagine it. The artical is in Australian Muscle Car magazine, when they did there special on the Phase 4. As well as other magazines over the years.

There was a "special order" XA coupe built for Bib Stillwell in SA with all the left over Phase 4 goodies when the project got canned.

Rumour has it that the coupe is still around!

Cheers
Todd.
XB74GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #14
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB74GS
No my friend you did not imagine it. The artical is in Australian Muscle Car magazine, when they did there special on the Phase 4. As well as other magazines over the years.

There was a "special order" XA coupe built for Bib Stillwell in SA with all the left over Phase 4 goodies when the project got canned.

Rumour has it that the coupe is still around!

Cheers
Todd.
Commonly known as an RPO83
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #15
XB74GS

Wrong.
RPO83's wern't something that could be ordered from the factory.
They we just built & sent out to the dealerships to be discreatly sold to the public.
Some dealers had the heads up & informed their clients. But a lot were just sold and neither dealer nor customer has any idea that they were anthing but a GT.

The car in mention was not optioned RPO83, as I stated it was a special order or favour if you like.
Bib Stillwell had contacts & influance at Ford, he was well aware of the Phase 4 program.
He is on the record as saying that the Phase 4 should of been a coupe not a sedan.
So when the program got canned he asked to be built a coupe which in his eyes is the way they should of been built.
I belive the car was his daily driver for a while.
Pinkbits, do yourself a favour a find the article it is very interesting reading.
Cheers
Todd.
XB74GS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB74GS
Wrong.
RPO83's wern't something that could be ordered from the factory.
They we just built & sent out to the dealerships to be discreatly sold to the public.
Some dealers had the heads up & informed their clients. But a lot were just sold and neither dealer nor customer has any idea that they were anthing but a GT.

The car in mention was not optioned RPO83, as I stated it was a special order or favour if you like.
Bib Stillwell had contacts & influance at Ford, he was well aware of the Phase 4 program.
He is on the record as saying that the Phase 4 should of been a coupe not a sedan.
So when the program got canned he asked to be built a coupe which in his eyes is the way they should of been built.
I belive the car was his daily driver for a while.
Pinkbits, do yourself a favour a find the article it is very interesting reading.
Cheers
Todd.
As they say; never too old to learn.
The wonders of the internet and forums. Information like this would otherwise have never been known or shared.
It's been said before- they did some strange things back in the 70's.
Do you have a link to the article handy?
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
Apollo66
My toy

Location: South Ozz on the only leg Australia has to stand on

I can remember an onyx black XA coupe been owned by a lad in country SA in the mid 80's with PHASE 4 writen across the boot lip. I wonder
Apollo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post