Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2023, 08:49 PM   #31
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Image Collection

T3 Continued...............

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 08:17 AM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

T2 TS50 for me is the pick of the T series cars (I had a T2 TE50). If only it got the 250 motor also, 220 was a gem in its own right also.
A girlfriend of mine at the time. Her dad was a motoring journo for the local rag. As soon as he told me he was getting a T Series in was in the the trip to Melbourne to pick it up when he got it and drop it off once reviewed (I suffered once he took it back, having to return home in a Kia Carnival) RDX-576 was that exact car i believe.

Love the pics
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 02:32 PM   #33
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

The TSeries is the gem that sadly under delivered due to many things expressed by DFB.
I admired each of them as they evolved.
The options and trim quality is something that stands out might I add.
The let down was not enough powa as mentioned till the last.
I remember yours DJM and the many other fellow forum members back in those great days on the forum.
In fact many are still in close contact to this day even though not on the forum.
The 220 as much as a reliable gem it was just wasn't enough :(
I bought new a S3 XR8 in Meteorite and I luved it so so dearly but I just had to upgrade when I could and sadly long after all the great run out deals at FTe dealers of T3's.
My local was Garlicks and I used to see 6 or more T3's at great pricing but I just didn't pull my finger out to trade up.
Low and behold come 06 and on this forum I got to know a member who was ready to sell his low K Blueprint - I sussed it out at Peter Warren AFD.
9/4/06 we starting sorting out a deal, when I test drove it I was gob smacked how much more it had to the 220.
I was in heaven, deal done and still in my hands to this day.
Yer it sure was a drinker, I used to giggle having led footed it so many times my DTE was around 450 or less.
The smell of the fumes at idle, lumpy and take off like a cut snake !
Its a halo Falcon for me, deserved being a GT imo due to the 5.6 stroker.
It talked the talk wtf all too late.

Great memories DFB was waiting for this part of the history to be posted.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2023, 07:06 PM   #34
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
The TSeries is the gem that sadly under delivered due to many things expressed by DFB.
I admired each of them as they evolved.
The options and trim quality is something that stands out might I add.
The let down was not enough powa as mentioned till the last.
I remember yours DJM and the many other fellow forum members back in those great days on the forum.
In fact many are still in close contact to this day even though not on the forum.
The 220 as much as a reliable gem it was just wasn't enough :(
I bought new a S3 XR8 in Meteorite and I luved it so so dearly but I just had to upgrade when I could and sadly long after all the great run out deals at FTe dealers of T3's.
My local was Garlicks and I used to see 6 or more T3's at great pricing but I just didn't pull my finger out to trade up.
Low and behold come 06 and on this forum I got to know a member who was ready to sell his low K Blueprint - I sussed it out at Peter Warren AFD.
9/4/06 we starting sorting out a deal, when I test drove it I was gob smacked how much more it had to the 220.
I was in heaven, deal done and still in my hands to this day.
Yer it sure was a drinker, I used to giggle having led footed it so many times my DTE was around 450 or less.
The smell of the fumes at idle, lumpy and take off like a cut snake !
Its a halo Falcon for me, deserved being a GT imo due to the 5.6 stroker.
It talked the talk wtf all too late.

Great memories DFB was waiting for this part of the history to be posted.
I never got mine under 22 L/100km!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
T2 TS50 for me is the pick of the T series cars (I had a T2 TE50). If only it got the 250 motor also, 220 was a gem in its own right also.
A girlfriend of mine at the time. Her dad was a motoring journo for the local rag. As soon as he told me he was getting a T Series in was in the the trip to Melbourne to pick it up when he got it and drop it off once reviewed (I suffered once he took it back, having to return home in a Kia Carnival) RDX-576 was that exact car i believe.

Love the pics
The 220 was a sweet motor. I always thought Ford/Tickford did well to get that power out of the old OHV Windsor, Holden needed a stroker to get that number, Mercedes 24V SOHC V8 produced the same power but was obviously more advanced.

The only thing I question with the 220 was that it was pretty highly strung to get those numbers, so I do remember at the time there being a few temperamental examples. Not sure how true that was.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 09:33 PM   #35
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The Cougar!

While Ford Australia executed the "New Edge" styling theme all kinds of wrong with the Falcon, (I say that as someone who has always liked the AU styling) Ford in Europe got it spot on for their models. I have always said that New Edge worked much better on the smaller cars, think the first gen Focus, the second gen Mondeo and the original Ka! The Cougar is included in that belief.

Based on the front drive Mondeo platform and powered by a 2.5 Duratec V6, the Cougar could be had in 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto. The engine produced 125 kW @ 6250 rpm and 220 Nm at 4250 rpm, the rev limit set at 7000 rpm.

The Cougar was sold via the FTe dealer network, meaning sales potential was somewhat limited. Sales started in October 1999 and continued into 2004, although it actually stopped production in 2002. Sales were very slow, but at least Ford were having a go, a philosophy brought on by the late Geoff Polites. That same philosophy also brought us the Mustang Cobra, the big dick T-Series and the resurrection of the Falcon GT as a continuous model.

I actually looked at one of these when shopping for my first car at the end of 2004. It was quite a petite car, very pretty and somewhat exotic looking. The one thing I noticed sitting in the driver's seat, the headroom was pretty tight.

Mustang GT

Old 08-12-2023, 09:49 PM   #36
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Can anyone put some light onto why Ford fitted the brass tags on the front number plate of press cars? Did this also apply to Ford employee cars too? Was this a tracking or identification number for the factory fleet? From what I have seen, the brass tags went right back to the 1970's and seemed to be phased out by the time the FG was launched.

Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 10:04 PM   #37
cycle myth

As I understood it all internal fleet cars (staff, press, loan evaluation etc.) were fitted with brass tags.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 11:19 PM   #38
GT1533

Cycle myth is correct.

Brass tag was originally a Ford asset identifier. There was an asset number stamped on the tag. Originally, company cars were assets and had a tag attached. The tag on cars could be either a rectangular tag or a disc. Cars that were fitted with a brass tag had generally unrestricted access in and out of the plants security gate. Cars fitted with a brass disc were generally employee lease cars and access to plants was restricted. At some point they stopped stamping numbers on the tag, and then eventually got rid of the tags too.
GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 06:37 PM   #39
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
Cycle myth is correct.

Brass tag was originally a Ford asset identifier. There was an asset number stamped on the tag. Originally, company cars were assets and had a tag attached. The tag on cars could be either a rectangular tag or a disc. Cars that were fitted with a brass tag had generally unrestricted access in and out of the plants security gate. Cars fitted with a brass disc were generally employee lease cars and access to plants was restricted. At some point they stopped stamping numbers on the tag, and then eventually got rid of the tags too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle myth
As I understood it all internal fleet cars (staff, press, loan evaluation etc.) were fitted with brass tags.
Huge thanks to both of you, a mystery I have wondered about for decades solved!
Mustang GT

Old 09-12-2023, 07:03 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, what a thread! DFB, thank you for all the pAUrn.

Have you got technical/sales description for ED XR8 Sprint? Or the internal sales spiel for the 2nd Territory SR (1st with black interior)?

Edit: I have physical copies, can scan and send if you wish.

Last edited by Sprintey; 09-12-2023 at 07:11 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2023, 07:11 PM   #41
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question for FG in 2011 - do you have details of the FG XR6 Limited Editions?
That's my son's one. Very interesting the Auto XR6 doesn't get the same IRS shortly beforehand. Had no idea so many changes going on.
Old 09-12-2023, 07:23 PM   #42
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
The Exploder 1st 2 gens, even though the sales weren't huge here the aftermarket loved them, POS sold alot of product
I felt sorry people owning one when I saw them on the road haha
What was the firestone wheels glitch again? Did we get that here or was it a US thing?
Old 09-12-2023, 07:40 PM   #43
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The XG, XH and XH II Falcon.

These models represented the continuation and end of a series of Falcon that launched in 1979. For some reason, Ford opted to skip the E-Series generation with the Falcon Ute and Van. From memory, the painful teething issues that the EA brought had Ford apprehensive about tainting the reliability reputation of Falcon Ute and Van. How true that is I don't really know. Another angle would be they ran out of money fixing quality and production line problems, the cheap solution being to just facelift and update the XF and be done with it.

The XG Falcon Ute and Van launched in March 1993. Finally, the old OHV Falcon 6 was euthanized, the EB II-spec 4.0 SOHC engine took its place. These engines produced 148 kW @ 4500 rpm and 348 Nm @ 3750, the XG XR6 made 161 kW @ 4600 rpm and 365 Nm @ 3650 rpm, both offered in 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto.

Platform wise, the front chassis rails were changed, there was an EB style grill insert, different side protection moldings, black window trims and quarter panel mounted side repeaters. Interior wise, there was a revised EB-spec instrument cluster, center console (except bench seat), steering wheel & seats.

The XH Falcon Ute and Van represented the end of the line for the X-series Falcon. Launched in April 1996 and running to June 1999 when the AU Falcon Ute arrived. For what was the end of the line and to be replaced in a couple of years, Ford did more than you would have expected.

Mechanically, the engine carried over, missing out on the dual length intake manifold brought to the sedan/wagon range, although there were improvements made to refinement. However, the E series spec front suspension design with rack and pinion steering system was adapted to the XF front end with frame and bodywork from the firewall forward changed to suit, joined by revised rear suspension. There was also a new domed roof panel for increased head room, a specific bonnet and front quarters to mate the XF body to the EF headlamps, wing mirrors & bumper. (XR models didn't get the bonnet vents though.)

Interior wise, there was a new EF spec instrumentation pod and interior trim, EF style 4 Spoke steering for the XR's. Safety wise, ABS was now optional, as was a drivers airbag.

In October 1997, Ford released another update in the form of the XH II. Numerous minor spec changes were made to the interior, exterior and equipment levels, too many to note here. The big news was the return of the V8, including the first ever XR8 Ute, signaling what was to come. Both 165 kW and 185 kW versions of the Windsor V8 were offered.

Ford also did a couple of one-off concepts based on the XH, in what could be interrupted as gauging the market for performance orientated or more upmarket Utes. Having seen both in the flesh, they certainly drew attention!

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #44
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Wow, what a thread! DFB, thank you for all the pAUrn.

Have you got technical/sales description for ED XR8 Sprint? Or the internal sales spiel for the 2nd Territory SR (1st with black interior)?

Edit: I have physical copies, can scan and send if you wish.
Yes please!!
Mustang GT

Old 09-12-2023, 07:53 PM   #45
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Question for FG in 2011 - do you have details of the FG XR6 Limited Editions?
That's my son's one. Very interesting the Auto XR6 doesn't get the same IRS shortly beforehand. Had no idea so many changes going on.
Yeah, there was some really strange decisions being made in late FG, early FG MK II. For the wheels/tyres/suspension, I think it centered around a calibration thing with the DSC and tyre size, rationalizing the spec was obviously cheaper. That changed when 18-inch wheels and tyres became the standard XR spec. Also keep in mind this was around the time some very big decisions were being made about the future of local production.

The FG XR6 Limited Edition was available from July 2011 and offered in Ute and Sedan. The Ute actually got B-series F6 wheels for some reason, I guess they had a bunch of leftovers?

Mustang GT

Old 09-12-2023, 07:56 PM   #46
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
What was the firestone wheels glitch again? Did we get that here or was it a US thing?
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 09:00 AM   #47
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Some really strange decisions seem to have been made in the FG range as a whole.

XHII XR8 ute looks amazing!
Best thread in a while. Love reading.
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 10:22 AM   #48
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all.... Been a while....a bit of ongoing crookness and lately flat out at work hasn't helped but settled down now.. Missed the most awesome forum a lot ... AFF is amazing ... So is this thread ... Was going to pennant bowls yesterday . For the first time in ages I didn't take my phone .

Pulled up a the car park to grab a drink on the way in the XR6 and sitting there was one of the most gorgeous Tickford AU's I have ever seen . I met the owner as he was still at the car when I got out.. Couldn't take a photo...no bloody phone... His name was David , guessing mid sixties and he was telling me he'd been the proud owner for a few years .. It was immaculate , it was a real looker and when he left the sound of the Windsor V8 was intoxicating ..

He showed me a couple of places he needs to attend to including some minor paint correction ,he thinks the driver side upper ball joint might soon need to be replaced but otherwise she's a gem ...No wonder he loves it...One of the most vibrant red colours I've ever seen ...Beautiful , beautiful car ...Lucky bugger ....Told him that too... Really nice bloke ..

NO BLOODY PHONE.....Geez...

Slightly off topic but because it has so many beaut old Falcons in it and other makes too.. check this out , especially if you're from Melbourne....Music good too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frr1avp4O5M&t=73s ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 10-12-2023 at 10:34 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 10:38 AM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Isnt the first XG pic of the white panelvan actually an XF?
Has the repeater front bar mounted instead of behind the wheelarch.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 10:49 AM   #50
GT1533

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

For some reason, Ford opted to skip the E-Series generation with the Falcon Ute and Van. From memory, the painful teething issues that the EA brought had Ford apprehensive about tainting the reliability reputation of Falcon Ute and Van. How true that is I don't really know. Another angle would be they ran out of money fixing quality and production line problems, the cheap solution being to just facelift and update the XF and be done with it.
I have some knowledge here.

EA26 Program (EA Falcon) did not have Ute/van included because they had much lower margins than passenger vehicles (from having to partly compete with cheap one-tonners like Hilux etc), which combined with high investment required for the unique stamping, meant they weren’t financially justified. The decision was made to carryover the XD platform and phase out over time. Besides, even back then, the EA platform was probably going to be the last Falcon.

Exactly the same was true of the EA169 (AU Falcon) and the program was originally approved without a Ute/van. The plan was to continue facelifting the XD platform/XH. However, it became apparent during the EA development process that this carryover was just too old and would not cut it in the market. At the same time, or because of it, the Ford Australia engineers came up with the concept of the separate-tray-ute which came with a much lower investment level, albeit without the ability to have a van. This made the Ute financially viable so it was added to the program. And that is why the Ute arrived about 9 months after the sedan.

Great thread DFB, and a great collection of photos. Thanks for sharing them. Do you have higher resolution versions that would be suitable for printing and framing? I’d like to add some of them to my garage walls.

GT1533 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 11:10 AM   #51
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all ...One model that used to be around in the early 1980s and were great looking cars I thought were the S Pack Falcons .. I nearly bought one once .. Don't see them much now . Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AU's at least also had a model called the SR .. I recall a teacher at the local school had a dark red one ... Can't recall seeing many over the years though..

On Falcon model names ...I still like to see GL , GXL , Futura , Fairmont/ Ghia badges from time to time on the older birds still getting around ..My AU is a Futura ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 12:00 PM   #52
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day all ...One model that used to be around in the early 1980s and were great looking cars I thought were the S Pack Falcons .. I nearly bought one once .. Don't see them much now . Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the AU's at least also had a model called the SR .. I recall a teacher at the local school had a dark red one ... Can't recall seeing many over the years though..

On Falcon model names ...I still like to see GL , GXL , Futura , Fairmont/ Ghia badges from time to time on the older birds still getting around ..My AU is a Futura ..
White '88 update XF Spak EFI 5sp was one of my dream cars in the late 80's.

SR was for Series Runout I believe and covered AU to BF consisting of an XT with boot spoiler, wheels, nicer seat trim, premium sound and some got XR style skirts depending on model.
BF2 was the pick of the bunch as it gave you about 7k worth of upgrades for at or below XT money as they cleared way for FG.
I had a white S2 AU SR and looked at getting my Son an Egas BF SR in Breeze a few years ago.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 02:59 PM   #53
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Late 91 on XF had it behind the wheel arch above the door strip.

88 ?? had it on the front bar side as you say. but I think you are right it being an XF

Can't make it out but if the rear barn door Falcon badge had GLi its a XG on.

Last edited by roKWiz; 10-12-2023 at 03:10 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 03:55 PM   #54
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT1533 View Post
I have some knowledge here.

EA26 Program (EA Falcon) did not have Ute/van included because they had much lower margins than passenger vehicles (from having to partly compete with cheap one-tonners like Hilux etc), which combined with high investment required for the unique stamping, meant they weren’t financially justified. The decision was made to carryover the XD platform and phase out over time. Besides, even back then, the EA platform was probably going to be the last Falcon.

Exactly the same was true of the EA169 (AU Falcon) and the program was originally approved without a Ute/van. The plan was to continue facelifting the XD platform/XH. However, it became apparent during the EA development process that this carryover was just too old and would not cut it in the market. At the same time, or because of it, the Ford Australia engineers came up with the concept of the separate-tray-ute which came with a much lower investment level, albeit without the ability to have a van. This made the Ute financially viable so it was added to the program. And that is why the Ute arrived about 9 months after the sedan.

Great thread DFB, and a great collection of photos. Thanks for sharing them. Do you have higher resolution versions that would be suitable for printing and framing? I’d like to add some of them to my garage walls.

Thank you thank you for the information. When I started this thread, it was to get these images back out there, so to get some insights into the less obvious stuff is pleasing to read.

Sadly, on the pre B-Series stuff, that was before the digitized era, so images are hard to come by, and the ones that exist are not all that good.
Mustang GT

Old 10-12-2023, 03:56 PM   #55
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I think you are correct on that.
Mustang GT

Old 10-12-2023, 05:25 PM   #56
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I think you are correct on that.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 05:33 PM   #57
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

The BA Falcon!

There is a lot to unpack here, so I will have to break this into sections, starting with the basic BA overview and the starting point of the range.

The BA was Ford overreacting to the poor reception of the AU……………….and I say that in the most positive of ways. When you look at Holden’s VY facelift that launched at the same time, all they did was throw some new panels and a dashboard at the VX and called it done. Ford on the other hand HAD to make an impact with the new Falcon, they had to overachieve to win back lost ground.

It would take me many thousands of words to fully describe the BA Falcon, but I suspect many here would already know the story, so I’ll try and keep this more generalised and take a more personal approach to this pivotal model.

I was 16 years old in September 2002, not far off 17. I was living and breathing all things Ford. My uncle was the spare parts manager at the local Ford dealer, he fueled my passion by collecting every single Ford brochure in 2002 for me to geek over, I still have those brochures and I can’t begin to describe how influential that was. My dad also lined up a ride in one of his employees then new AU III XR6 VCT Ute with ALL of the Tickford options, fittingly, it was Venom Red! It was fate in the making!

As was the thing back then, you were either a Ford or Holden boy, each side giving as good as they got. The only exception to that was if you were some weirdo who liked JDM or German stuff, in which case they got ribbed by both the blue and red side of the equation. I mention this because as a Ford boy, the Falcon and its lack of success on the racetrack meant I was on the underdog team. But the BA Falcon changed that!

Once again, I lived for the release of new magazines to indulge my intrigue………………no instant internet media in those days, you would be waiting for that next copy of Wheels or Motor to read about a new model. Ford at the time started to drip feed the media with little snippets of information on this new Falcon, which was being called the AV Falcon until Ford finally dropped that piece of information too. Details such as all new seat designs, rear suspension, tucked and hidden wiper system and adjustable pedals were dribbled out to the media all in an effort to drive interest in the new model. Even the race teams played along, just check out Craig Lowndes car from that era and you will see the black outline of the new XR’s headlights in the classic Green-Eyed-Monster………….

To be frank, it would be quicker to list what wasn’t changed in the transition from AU to BA, so I will keep this as brief as I can. The usual front and rear quarter panels, hood, boot, bumpers and lights were naturally changed, but at great expense, Ford went even further to change the roof along with the front and rear glass on the SWB sedan, Ute/Wagon/LWB carried the AU parts over. While the doors looked the same, they were also altered. The interior was all new, save for some minor less used switches. Mechanically, the sedans got that new IRS as standard, banishing the classic Watts Link rear end to history. Wagon and Ute carried the leaf rear end over, which to me was a good thing. The rear chassis legs were straightened on the sedan, said to increase structural rigidity by 88%!! Front suspension was carry over. The brakes were new across the board, offering larger rotors and calipers. Every single engine was either brand new (V8) or heavily revised (Inline 6), all featuring drive-by-wire throttle control, an Aussie industry first. The automatic was now adaptive and offered manual shifting across the range. Combined with a host of other small, but important changes and additions, the BA was a massive leap into the future for the Falcon.

The work Ford did was rewarded in the form of several awards, including the then still relevant Wheels Car of The Year. Sales went through the roof, at one point the plant was at over 100% daily capacity, they even implemented overtime to keep up.

Back to a personal point of view, I learnt to drive in a 2003 BA Futura in Mercury Silver. When the lease was up on the current family car, I pestered and pestered my Dad to buy a BA Falcon. The Barra was, even in NA form, a pure joy. At the time, this was the most powerful car I had driven and coming from a gen-1 Forester with only 92 kW, you can imagine how 182 kW and 380 Nm felt in comparison! The ride was soft and cushy, the perfect long-distance combination of ride comfort and power in reserve.

I remember on a family holiday to the Victorian high country, my Dad at the wheel, being stuck behind a stupidly slow caravan for many km’s. With a large cue forming behind us and despite multiple opportunities for the caravan driver to pull over, the tension within my Dad was building and building…………….until he cracked! When the opportunity arose, he slammed the throttle down, the gearbox went back to 1st (which was would run to 88 kph with the 3.23 diff), the big Barra erupted and passed that stupid caravan with supreme ease. I laughed and cheered in excitement, my mother other hand was less than impressed. And that’s why these cars were so good for touring, they had power and torque in reserve to pass quickly and safely. Try the same mauver in a gutless naturally aspirated medium SUV that seems to be the default now, and that result would likely be different.

I loved that BA Falcon, I just wished I had pestered Dad to buy an XR6 instead.

Coming next, the models that recaptured interest in the Falcon and won over a whole new generation of fans………………………..
Mustang GT

Old 10-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #58
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Continued...................................

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 05:40 PM   #59
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

All this Falcon stuff makes me think (more) about what we have lost (dont wanna go off topic) some proper gems among all this. Definitely enjoy seeing all this promo stuff.
- Antz Turboside Intake
6 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2023, 06:42 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only AU I like is the LWB cars and the T series - you're on point about that IRS setup, I think it was a massive step backwards going to the control blade style on the B series/FG compared to the double wishbone setup the AU cars have. The Holden setup in my Caprice is a joke, you can crack/break the K frame without even abusing it - they **** the bed with normal driving/use.

The biggest eye opener to me was when I drove a customers AUII Fairlane Ghia across their bumpy paddock, expecting to need go to bras n things for a sports bra fitting prior to driving it off road, I hit all the bumps and it barely upset the car and I smoothly floated over the paddock - it drove about on point with how my E38 7 series did with a very fancy self leveling hydraulic rear suspension setup.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: