Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #1
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How to sell a car.

What have people found the best and quickest way to sell a Car.

Autotrader Mag
Quokka (WA Thing)
Carsales
Carpoint
Saturday or Sunday paper motoring section

I am thinking>
1.Quokka with no photo as it’s Free to list for non commercial sellers.
2. Autotrader online.

Selling my Explorer Not the TURBO LOL, as I need a Ute to lug general chit around and make it easer to take the Dirtbikes out, Trade In is a last resort as I know I will loose 3K minimum with trading it in.

Cheers.

Old 17-06-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
Kryton

if you put it on the net, make sure it has pics.
most people will skip right past anything that doesnt have pics.

carsales is good, but you needa competitive price or something on the car to make it stand out above the rest.
go park in popular places around town that lots of people go to on the weekends with a big For Sale sign on it - make the price clear for all to see.
the last 2 cars i have sold have been from doing that.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mate, yeah i don't drive it much Lives in the garage mostly, It's only done 5000k's in the last year LOL

Might go and park it down the shop's on Saturday or something.

I will be pricing it in the same range as other X's and it does have a bit of fruit on it too so hopefully that should help.

The internet add will have photos too.
Old 17-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I recommend car sales personally. But the car I was selling was a reasonably rare classic in good condition so it's not like I had to make it stand out too much.

Park it on the lawn with a for sale sign on it. Just dont put it on the nature strip or you might get fined.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i have used "carpoint" to help sell 2 cars for my stepmother.
one was my fathers transit van camper and the other was her `80 mercedes 240D.
both cars were located in nsw central tablelands and the van sold to a guy on qld sunshine coast and the benz went to nsw north coast. about 18 months between the 2 sales.

used plenty of good photos and gave a good description of the vehicals including any faults. better to be upfront and genuine i think , lay it all on the table first up and people will feel more compfy dealing with you than if they think you are hiding something from them.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah that's one thing i need to do is take some good photos.

I have replaced Diff's, gearbox,T/case and engine Oil's+ Fuel,oil and air filters recently. All Motorcraft and K@N Filters and only use quality oil, the only thing it's got wrong is the Cruse control switch is faulty $30 and 10 minutes to change.

I had a buyer but his wife told him he's not allowed LOL Women eh.
Old 18-06-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Definitely put it in the quokka. I've bought and sold many cars using it. I know heaps of people that read through it for cars. And the best thing is its free so if it doesnt sell its not like your wasting money readvertising.

Carsales on the net would be another good one as said above. I bought my XR8 on carsales.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iv'e sold 2 cars on Carsales pretty quickly, only costs about $30 for an ad from memory.

Everyone I know who's looking at cars goes straight to Carsales, I think it's becoming "the site" for selling cars and the like.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have sold 4 cars on Carsales, although now $40 - was $10 when I sold my first one. Never sold one quickly there, but have always got a decent price.

Check council regs before parking in a public place with a big for sale sign. Here in the Sutherland Shire in Syd there are HUGE fines for doing this. I checked and a carsales sticker on a car parked outside your house doesn't cause much concern though. As long as the car can be driven without removing any advertising, they are generally ok as long as it is parked normally on a street or in a carpark. If you park it 45 degrees to a major highway on a nature strip here, it will have a fine attached when you go to get it. With councils in NSW clamping down on parking issues to raise money (now they have the power from Police), a lot of NSW councills will be the same. That said there are always mini-lots near Nowra and other places in the Shoalhaven so maybe it might just be a Sydney council issue. Pays to check though.
Old 18-06-2008, 10:36 AM   #10
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Iv'e sold 2 cars on Carsales pretty quickly, only costs about $30 for an ad from memory.

Everyone I know who's looking at cars goes straight to Carsales, I think it's becoming "the site" for selling cars and the like.
Totally agree I too have sold 2 cars on Car sales, 1 went in a week the other in 24 hours. When Im looking for a car its the first site I visit, just dont be greedy with your price and make sure you've got good pics
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

carsales and carpoint are one and the same. if you go to carpoint you will notice a carsales logo at bottom of page. i have 2 cars on carsales and didn't believe it when i was told so i looked them up on carpoint and there they were.

whenever i look for cars the first place i go is carsales.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #12
rexeka
Eka

I sold my 4wd on carsales.com within 4 days.

I had 3 people come and take a look, the third bought it right there and then, he had cash in his pocket, and on xmas eve of all times!

It's also the first place I look at for a car.
Old 18-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok looks like i will go, Carsales and Quokka then, see how i go.

Just have to take some clean photos of it, i have a price in my mind that is the lowest i would like and i will advertise for 700-1000 over that as i expect people to try and bargain me down a bit, i am hoping that because it has some Extras fitted as well it will stand out a bit more over a stocko
Old 18-06-2008, 09:10 PM   #14
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

i do get calls from carsales people and my patrol has been on ther for 12 months ,im well under market value ,seems to be an off market at present from the whole interest rate thing etc,but they are the go