Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
NJM586

Default Air filter + induction pipe

Hey guys/ girls

Today bored at work i was searching through google images and i came across these two pics from what looks like a ford fiesta in europe !!!

Do you guys recon this would be healthy for the enigine ? (i dont think it is a good idea) as the air filter is located at the back were the mainifold is im sure the air would be extreamly hotter at the back then the front i no there is a heat shield and a pipe connected from the stock air flow hole to the filter but seriously what do you guys recon?

good idea or bad idea

NJM586 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

No
No.
No!
Old 08-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #3
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
No
No.
No!
What he said but it deserves another NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

At least its not a panty hose over the TB.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
NJM586

dont worry guys im with you
a big noooooooooooooo
i actually thought it was quite funny when i first saw it
Old 08-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
What he said but it deserves another NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

At least its not a panty hose over the TB.
God, my housemate did that with his WRX once :togo:
Old 08-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
WPN XR6T
Useless

The only thing I can think of is that it has quite a large bonnet scoop to force feed it cold air, otherwise why would you bother? The fundimental pricipal is wrong, and it doesn't look cheap. Still, WTF?

Happiness is owning more Fords. Bliss is owning more XR's!

- 2005 BA II XR8 "The Dino"
- 2005 BA II XR6T "The T"
- 2008 WQ XR4 "The Fez"
WPN XR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

more like creating an oven when it's in that "heat shield" over the engine like that.

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
chinw3e is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

It looks like the work of an old friend, Tinex, bet there's a WRX scoop above it....

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #9
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

may as well wire hair-dryer and set it to full blowing on the filter... you'd get cooler air that way

NOOOOOOO!!!
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
anthonytsap
Starter Motor

thats my k&n set up on my fiesta. just got installed last week after waiting 4 weeks to come from overseas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06012009sssss.jpg (139.3 KB, 193 views)
anthonytsap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 05:25 PM   #11
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

wouldn't it be better to twist the whole intake clockwise to the empty space on the bottom right hand corner? that way, the air filter isn't hot over the engine and the air coming to it doesn't have to travel as far. i think MR-XR4 should have a good picture of his set up.

Eibach Lowering Springs, Wiecher Sports Strut Brace, K&N panel filter, fog lights, crystal black side indicators, car mats, tinted windows
Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Fled74
The Thread Killa

This is my intake setup (I got the idea from Mista Fiesta/MR XR4):

I'm using a Drift urethane pod filter with a heat shield.

I have a custom cold air feed pipe as well leading to the filter.

The intake hole is in the lower left of the front bumper.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Lookin awesome as usual there Fled. Good to see you followed in my foot steps. I want your cold air feed pipe btw..
Old 11-01-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
anthonytsap
Starter Motor

i am now going to change my set up of the cai and do it how Fled74 has it but i am not going to have the pipe throught the fog light cover..should i drop it to under the car?
Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #15
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

watch out for water on rainy days!

An advantage of having it where Fled has it is you get the air coming through the top grill (like standard) as well as the air from the cold air feed pipe...
Old 11-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #16
anthonytsap
Starter Motor

yeah it is a good spot where fled has his pipe however i have foglights and i dont want to take them out
Old 12-01-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
chinw3e
no sacrifice, no victory

run the pipe to the middle lower grille. maybe even cut out a stealthy hole =P

Old 12-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #18
anthonytsap
Starter Motor

isnt that where the radiator sits?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #19
Ben85

yea i couldnt find anywhere on the wq zetecs to run an air feed. I had it under the bumber for awhile, but it got wrecked. Car is too low.

Fled74:- The pipe that connects your pod to the engine, where did you get it from? Because i'd like to take out my airbox and run my pod straight to the engine, rather than thru the old airbox. If you could give me some more information that would be great.

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Ben85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
Adsy01

Ben, Fled has just rotated the factory pipe around.

Elbach Lowered Coils - Rear sway bar - 12.5mm Axle Spacers - Rear disc brake conversion - 16" MP3 Rims
Tinted windows - Tinted Headlight surrounds - Clear side indicators- Phillips Xenon lighting - Colour Coded - ST Rear Spoiler - Smooth Rear Wiper - Ford leather gear knob & boot – Zetec S Sill Covers & Steering wheel - Leather centre armrest - Pioneer USB/CD player - JL Audio 4ch Amp, subwoofer & splits - Short aerial

The most "Standard" car I've ever owned!
Adsy01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #21
Ben85

Yea i figured that after i'd sent the post, i had a good look at the picture. lol. I feel like a bit of a dick. Thanx for humoring my dumb questions

Interior:- MOMO Blue Leather Gear Knob, Window tint, Scuff Plates, ST Black & Blue Leather seats, Soundstream Amp & 5x7 speakers, Sony Headunit, Pioneer sub & Amp.

Under the Hood:- Superchips ECU Flash Tune, Denso Iridium plugs, KV85 Magnecor Leads, BMC CDA Induction.

Exterior:- Spoiler, clear side repeaters, Lowered (35mm) King Springs, Whiteline 22mm Rear sway bar, 2" cat back exhaust with a dual conversion, Konig 17" Hotswap with Kumho Rubber, HID's.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #22
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

o.k. so after being bored today and being inspired by this thread, i thought i'd choose the hottest and possibly worst day to venture into the wonderful(sounding) world of pod-fiters too... For now the setup is just practice plus the filter is just a cheapie i got at rico-barn. They free up the exhaust note no-end, especially with the s.s. hi-tech muffler at the back : ...

here is the setup, basically a FLed rip-off!!! (nothing new, its pretty much sucking in hot air now, plus it doesn't help sitting so close to the radiator hose which gets really hot.):

[IMG][/IMG]

Next is to direct a cold air feed and make a heat-shield of some sort... I was thinking surrounding it with a garage-job custom (plastic) box plus buy a wrap for the stock pipe and a silicon hose adaptor to raise it above the bonnet latch and exhaust mani.........

or wait for winter... :
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #23
anthonytsap
Starter Motor

yeah thats exactly how i done mine today..all im worried about is the hose melting on the manifolds. i might buy some heat shield to put around.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #24
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

Yeah its probably best to shroud it in something.

The manifolds don't actually get as hot as some components as it already has the black covers on them. (next time you've been for a drive just check them... you can usually touch them without burns no probs.)

I'd worry more about getting bad heat-soak, as i'm pretty sure the way it is now is drawing in a fair amount of heat, need something similar to Fleds setup. Or a K&N Apollo if you wanna spend the big bucks.
Old 13-01-2009, 07:29 AM   #25
Fled74
The Thread Killa

The stock intake pipe on mine isn't directly connected to the throttle body. I used a short length of silicone intercooler hose adaptor to help the intake pipe clear the manifold. It works pretty well; the silicone hose doesn't soften or melt. Like Zetec Jim, I am also planning to fabricate some kind of box to surround the pod filter, and get some sort of wrap (like on the fuel lines) to cover the intake pipe wth.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #26
NJM586

Hey guys

Does anyone know the size of the hole on the throttle body ?
Old 13-01-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

A friend has a BMC CDA that he said i could get off him, but its for a larger engine size, (above 1.6L)...

I'm thinking of putting this on instead of the pod filter... I don't see it causing any issues being a larger capacity... just means more air right???
I emailed BMC, they said should be ok, but after install to get an ecu remap...I think thats them covering their ***** though...

thoughts?

(EDIT: Fled probably has the best idea on throttle body dimension.)

Last edited by zetec jim; 13-01-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 13-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #28
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks good guys, might give this a try when I stop being stingy with the money!
Old 14-01-2009, 11:25 AM   #29
Ben85

I thought i'd mess around with mine a bit. This is what i came up with. Tell me wat you think guys.

And this is my new head unit. I reckon it looks pretty awesome.

Old 14-01-2009, 12:54 PM   #30
NJM586

Hey Guys,

This weekend im geting a custom intake pipe done at a exhaust shop now i need to know what size the silicon hose adaptor you guys use to connect the stock pipe to the throttle body? does anyone have a idea on the size?
is it 3inch 4inch?