Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #31
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Re: Should ADRs be abolished for imported vehicles?

Great idea, I'm ready to sign up for an Ariel Nomad or Atom 4 (if I'm brave enough)
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 09:03 AM   #32
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I say we drop the ADR's but accept any Japanese, American and European design regulations, as long as the car conforms to one of those then it can be registered in our market - reduce red tape so we reduce costs of bringing cars to our market.

It doesn't make sense to me you can drive a 30 year old LHD vehicle, but not a new one?
While owning two LHD cars ('65 and a '74), I kind of understand the thought process here, but basically it's to discourage the "average person" driving a LHD daily.

While it's not hard to drive a LHD vehicle amongst RHD traffic, its a very deliberate, conscious and cautious effort that most drivers wouldn't invest in as day-in-day-out. For something you drive once a week on sunny weekends without deadlines its quite doable and enjoyable.

That aside, personally I think that ADRs probably have had their day and we just get onboard with another standard.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #33
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We should also swap to driving on the right hand side of the road, after I'm dead.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2019, 10:05 AM   #34
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m resigned to the idea it (swapping sides) would be a sensible long term strategy.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2019, 10:07 AM   #35
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe Sweden did it overnight.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:12 AM   #36
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I believe Sweden did it overnight.
Not quite that simple and there was a few other factors that don't match our situation, one been approximately 90 percent of Swedes already drove left-hand drive (LHD) vehicles............

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

Quote:
Dagen H (H day), today usually called "Högertrafikomläggningen" ("The right-hand traffic diversion"), was the day on 3 September 1967, in which the traffic in Sweden switched from driving on the left-hand side of the road to the right.[1] The "H" stands for "Högertrafik", the Swedish word for "right traffic". It was by far the largest logistical event in Sweden's history.[2]

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #37
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would have made it a lot easier for the drivers to get their heads around.
I bought a lhd car once and had to drive it 20-30 Kms in Western Sydney and I can tell you it was very unnerving to say the least.
ADR conversion included silly stuff like windscreen replacement, wiper sweep and red to orange blinkers.
Old 21-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #38
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m resigned to the idea it (swapping sides) would be a sensible long term strategy.
Sensible how? It would require all the existing highway infrastructure (on/off ramps) to be re-engineered/re-made

Never going to happen, unless society totally breaks-down and it's a post apocalyptic free for all on the highways
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #39
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Sensible how? It would require all the existing highway infrastructure (on/off ramps) to be re-engineered/re-made

Never going to happen, unless society totally breaks-down and it's a post apocalyptic free for all on the highways
....worse still we will need new Ice Cream vans

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's stupid to keep ADRs, how long have they been in harmonization mode and not made progress.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 01:02 PM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
We should also swap to driving on the right hand side of the road, after I'm dead.
Maybe the car enthusiast should move to a LHD country before we all die from boring cars.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #42
Trevor 57
is now there

Please remember not all cars come out of Europe, some Chinese, some Thai, some South America, some Japan - do these countries all abide by the European standards?
Old 21-02-2019, 01:40 PM   #43
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post

Plus new buses, garbage trucks etc.

It's just not practical to contemplate. Much better things to spend money on.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 02:05 PM   #44
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Plus new buses, garbage trucks etc.
Just to use these as an example....Most of the bus chassis come from LHD countries anyway. We just build the some of the bodies here and most garbage trucks are dual control these days.

Ice cream vans on the other hand, we can not do without.
Sorry back to topic

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #45
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Some may be unaware of this, but Samoa was the first country since the 1970s to swap sides. According to this article, the switch went fairly smoothly. Granted, it is not a country with the density of some of our cities nor the same population that needs to transition.

Could you imagine how poor Samoa would feel if Australia changed sides on them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
....worse still we will need new Ice Cream vans
Easy fix. Just drive backwards

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 03:12 PM   #46
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The biggest advantage of a RHD car is that the majority of the population is right handed and that makes one handed steering easier.

This leaves the non-dominant left hand to take care of fun stuff such as caressing female thighs in the passenger seat.

I'm lucky that I'm right handed.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 03:19 PM   #47
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
The biggest advantage of a RHD car is that the majority of the population is right handed and that makes one handed steering easier.

This leaves the non-dominant left hand to take care of fun stuff such as caressing female thighs in the passenger seat.

I'm lucky that I'm right handed.
So is your passenger...lol
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #48
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Some may be unaware of this, but Samoa was the first country since the 1970s to swap sides. According to this article, the switch went fairly smoothly. Granted, it is not a country with the density of some of our cities nor the same population that needs to transition.

Could you imagine how poor Samoa would feel if Australia changed sides on them?

Easy fix. Just drive backwards
LOL Samoa. The switch was ushered in with a two-day national holiday.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #49
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
LOL Samoa. The switch was ushered in with a two-day national holiday.
But the downside to that was.......

Quote:
A two-day holiday was declared to ease traffic as people got used to the new rules. A three-day ban on alcohol sales was also introduced to deter accidents.

Old 21-02-2019, 05:42 PM   #50
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just to use these as an example....Most of the bus chassis come from LHD countries anyway. We just build the some of the bodies here and most garbage trucks are dual control these days.

Ice cream vans on the other hand, we can not do without.
Sorry back to topic
Exaxctly...

New bodies. So every bus company would have to scrap their busses and start new...side load garbos would need new bodies.

Who would fund that? Would the government reimburse bus and garbage companies to allow them to purchase new vehicles?

I can imagine the government would also implement some silly strategy where r/h/d cars will be banned from registration unless they meet some silly criteria.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #51
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
Please remember not all cars come out of Europe, some Chinese, some Thai, some South America, some Japan - do these countries all abide by the European standards?
Well if they come to Australia now and our regs are slowly equalizing with Europe then they do meet most EU regs already. Once we have full parity all we would have to do is state "if you don't meet EU regs you cannot import into Australia" which is no different to now where they have to meet ADR's. And I can tell you now meeting EU regs for a much larger market is more cost effective then meeting our unique ADR's and with our volume just adds to vehicle costs.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #52
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
yes actually. The Chinese regs are practically carbon copies of the ECE regs, and the Japanese have been similar for years.

nobody is saying no regs, but why not accept prior Homologation to alternate equivalent regs? Oh, wait - I forgot. This is Australia. Jobs for the boys. How long did it take to get ECE21.05 motorcycle helmets approved instead of AS ones?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 06:31 AM   #53
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
Having ADRs made sense while local car manufacturing was still going.

Having ADRs is still making sense for things that are specific to local conditions, for example bull bars, offroad modifications, road train rules etc, which are things you don't find in Europe.

However, increasing the harmonization with international standards from larger RHD markets such as UK and Japan makes sense to me. I agree to limit the number of LHD vehicles in some way, and things like color of side-marker lights and indicator lights should be similar to what it is now in Australia. I wouldn't allow US vehicles to suddenly be on the road with red indicator lights, and orange position lights in the headlights at the front.

There will always be resistance from the regulated motor industry to simplify the rules. Importers wants to prevent grey imports, ADR compliance guys wants to keep their jobs.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 07:24 AM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
While owning two LHD cars ('65 and a '74), I kind of understand the thought process here, but basically it's to discourage the "average person" driving a LHD daily.

While it's not hard to drive a LHD vehicle amongst RHD traffic, its a very deliberate, conscious and cautious effort that most drivers wouldn't invest in as day-in-day-out. For something you drive once a week on sunny weekends without deadlines its quite doable and enjoyable.

That aside, personally I think that ADRs probably have had their day and we just get onboard with another standard.
There is one particular intersection on my daily commute where doing a right hand turn would be dangerous in a LHD car - intersection of Boundary Rd and Flemington Rd in Kensington.

But you'd play it smart and just avoid it and go another way

Also Maccas drive-thru.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-02-2019 at 07:30 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 08:15 AM   #55
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
But you'd play it smart and just avoid it and go another way
That’s requiring drivers to think safely, to think proactively. Outside the scope of ADRs and outside any hope a reasonable person might vest in typical Australian driver ability. :(
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #56
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
There will always be resistance from the regulated motor industry to simplify the rules. Importers wants to prevent grey imports, ADR compliance guys wants to keep their jobs.
^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: