Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Your favorite falcon

As there seems to be a bit of reminiscing of falcons olde I thought a thread on your FAVORITE falcon might be appropriate.

The idea is to describe your favorite falcon/fairmont/fairlane/whatever which you owned and drove.
Not the one you always wanted or drool over in a magazine nor the latest and greatest new rocket car but the one which at the time was the one you loved and kept way too long (or still have).
Also why you loved it and what was so great about it.

Mine was a Burgandy EA2 Fairmont Ghia 5 speed manual which I bought new in 1989.
It was extremely high tech and luxurious for the era with its all digital dash and velour interior.
When the EB2 came out with ABS brakes I went to upgrade but as the manual was no longer being made I held onto it.
Then the ED came out. Still no manual so I stuck with my starting to get a bit tatty EA2.

The EF came and went.

It was covered with stone chips so badly it looked like a maroon lammington. The velour on the door where my arm rested was completely worn off.
The air con failed but it was heading into winter.
It had over 300,000km on it and was starting to fall apart.

But I kept it because they did not make a manual anymore.

Then one day it was summer again and stinking hot and I turned on the failed aircon with the obvious result.

I went to get the aircon fixed but as it was the old gas it was going to cost bongo dollars so the poor old girl finally bit the dust and I bought a shiny EL auto.

So it lasted me 8 years and over 300,000km through floods, mud, dust storms, traffic jam, snow, cyclones, salt water and worst of all QLD roads.

I have owned faster falcons, more reliable falcons, prettier falcons (and an AU) but I owned that one for over twice as long and for over twice as many kilometres as any of the others (with the exception of my panel vans that did 275,000km/year but only lasted 2 years before their wheels fell off) purely because there was nothing to replace it with.

flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

So far, a BFII Fairlane.
But it was the AUII, back many years ago, that really made me pay attention:
well appointed, made the EL look positively prehistoric, and good all round.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 12-05-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
StrokedXT
Banned

I dont keep anything for long but i only regret selling my xw and au2xr8 other than those two i am comfortable with letting all the others go.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

XE Fairmont Ghia ESP 5.8.

Just the best I ever drove till the G6ET I drove last year.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

my dad also had an EA Ghia 5 speed which i loved driving, it was a great car and lasted 331,000km with no head gasket issues, before he traded it on a manual BA XT. People ********** and moan about EA's but they're great cars.

my personal favourite was my EB, which used to be owned by a few other members and was built by Laminge back in the day. It looked like absolute crap when i got it, had been cosmetically parted out and swapped around, but it had a 347ci and went like a scalded cat.. it had so much character, despite looking like i just stole it from pick a part
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

mines is my 67 XR Fairmont, bought it in 85 as a bit of a project car, still going on it now. some of u may have seen my project thread on it. i love the beast, lol

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cuckoo Ka-Choo!

I misread the post. Delete it.

Don't snap my undies.

Last edited by uranium_death; 12-05-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Misread. Axe it.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has to be the EL. 11 years and 260,000kms later, it still goes.
Costs bugger all to run thanks to LPG and has only done one head gasket. The rest has been trouble free with nothing but maintenance. Needs a bit of TLC now though.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #9
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

my xf ute when i first got my p's

it was a 88 gl.

it was a base as you could get but i loved it.

cost me in the 18 months i had it $13000. its nick name was the harbour bridge. start at the front and work to the middle then work form the back and meet in the middle.

i would love to have it back
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
fordv8!

my eaII spac 5spd mpi it went like stink killed all my mates holdens, the best part was my mate han a vp 5ltr ex cop car and i used to put a car length on him before 2nd and thats how they stayed i mistreated and flogged it and it wouldnt die great car!!!!
fordv8! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
billo

ba all day
prior ive had a fairmont
pretty older style unsure of model
bloody gearbox would get stuck in 2nd
but i gotta say my ba all day wins hands down
comfort and reliability
bil
16" rims(gay 1s)
..this is my 1st ever ford.plans to style a wee bit...
billo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
robbyg
72xa

Only owned 2 falcons in 52 years, the first an xw falcon 500 sedan for a year or 2, got me drivers licence in that one, the second still have. Love the xa, the xw still lingers around in the memory bank though.
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #13
Paxton
Cobblers!

Mine was my Venom/Leather AUIII VCT. It was the best built, best driving, most reliable Falcon I've ever had. Sure, the suspension collapsed at 45,000 KMs, and when I traded it on a Territory, it needed a new Clutch, a new Exhaust, and had about 150,000 on the clock, but, unlike the Territory, and the EF I had in the 90's, it was the best handling, and most reliable car I have ever owned.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I drive it, nothing has bought a smile like my TE does when i turn the key.
Failing that id say an FG SP ute
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

loved my first car,sultan maroon xw,never left me stranded and was a gem.but i then bought a xc gs,351,4 speed single rail,9",had a ball in that car but the price i payed i should have spent the money on the xw i suppose.
just like to add my boss in 1990 had a red ea s pack,5 speed with mpi and i was realy supprised how well it went.after a few years i got told it was the ea 5 speed s pack that took the title of fasted 6cyl 4 door sedan from the valiant vh pacer after its 17 year reign.the ea went hard but seemed to fall apart pretty easy but gee did it light it up in the wet
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I've only had two (BA XR6 and the current SR).

BA was manual and tough as (guess I was one of the lucky ones). The engine did take 8000rpm and kept going (as well as the gearbox, but needed a new clutch) due to me. I sold it with close to 140,000k's on the clock (was very regretful when I did...to the point I still miss it) and it was still going well. The car was not babied but it wasn't falling apart...I still believe it was better built then the current B-series.

Mind you I have been driving a new FG XR6 a few times for the last week and an very very impressed.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #17
Bobman
Regulator

My favourite was also my EA Ghia factory 5 speed manual. I bought it in 2003 and had it until 2006. Had lots of great fun and memories in it. Being a manual, it was a great car to drive with all the luxuries I wanted.

The only other car I've owned that has been just as good was my BA that I got in 2005 and no longer have.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I've only owned 2, the xf and my old BA, the xf was clapped out and a total bucket, barely made the grade as a car.
The BA was sweet, few issues...bit boring to drive though, after a while.
My one drive of an older falcon yeilded my love of the XB falcon GT. Dads buddy had one, let me drive it only once....awesome car and I suppose that's the one I'd pick, I think I fit the criteria as I've driven it, right flappist?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #19
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Pottery Beige.. It get's treated like a normal car, driven rain, hail or shine even the odd dirt road... hehehe
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #20
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for me it is my current ride

98 EL sapphire in alskin frost

<------------------- that one

you cant argue with a car that you tow a caravan to heathcote then race it on the 1/4 mile then tow the caravan home again with no problems (TOUCH WOOD )

it has just clocked up 180000ks so still young in ks look at my sig for the work done to it

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #21
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Given my XC is not actually driveable at present, I would have to say my current XR8. To have a car that makes driving fun on a daily basis is truly something to be grateful about.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #22
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I would have to say my AUII XR8, bought new and still own to this day, allways a pleasure to drive, has never let me down and is such an allround nice cruising vehicle, I just love getting in and driving.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #23
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive only ever owned one.

That being my BA2 XR6T.

So far, since 4th October 2006, when I picked it up with about 7,000kms on the odo, the following has been replaced.

-Auto Transmission shat itself @ 99,850kms
-Turbo shat itself @ 104,023kms.

Its only ever done manifold/turbo bolts twice... and has been tuned since 15,000kms

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #24
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in the early 80's it was the 351 GS XB ute T bar auto red and black she was a fake GT look a like.
With 14x10 rear 14x8 front 12 slots with 265 TA's all round.
She was only a 351 2V with twin exhaust.
The C4 auto was the best auto i have ever used by far.
It had cloth stripy centers in the bucket seats.
And the way it handled was great.
If i had it hear right now i would be itching to go out for a fang right now.
I haven't seen a real good XB ute for years. they look great!
The 4.0L XG longreach 5 speed manual was as fast as a 351 but i missed the massive torque and sound of the 351.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:17 PM   #25
fpvgtp

Citric Acid GT-P first new car Jan. 04 has 51000ks still the best car. Have a Cobra GT but not a keeper if push came to shove but the p is a keeper.
fpvgtp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvgtp
Citric Acid GT-P first new car Jan. 04 has 51000ks still the best car. Have a Cobra GT but not a keeper if push came to shove but the p is a keeper.
you'd sell the cobra GT over the BA GT-P?? how come?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #27
V8 Man
Excessive Fuel User

My XD is my favorite Falcon. It was my first love, bought it in 1991 as a 4.1 single rail (my dad talked me out of buying a V8 for my first car, only bad bit of advice he's ever given me). Over the years went from stock 4.1, through various engine/gearbox combinations until it's current state (warm 351, top loader, 9"). I've poured over $60,000 into it in almost 20 years and I plan to own it (and keep spending) until I stop breathing.
'10 CX9 Luxury (Family Truckster)
PBF 289 (POWERED BY FORD)Vic Number Plates for sale
V8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #28
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Man
My XD is my favorite Falcon. It was my first love, bought it in 1991 as a 4.1 single rail (my dad talked me out of buying a V8 for my first car, only bad bit of advice he's ever given me). Over the years went from stock 4.1, through various engine/gearbox combinations until it's current state (warm 351, top loader, 9"). I've poured over $60,000 into it in almost 20 years and I plan to own it (and keep spending) until I stop breathing.
Money is not everything, if thats your passion keep spending i reckon!!
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #29
metallurg

Mine'd have to be my XB coupe. She's tired and rusty, but it puts a big smile on my face as soon as I back it out of the driveway.

It's then a toss up between the first car I bought - a red XF S-pac and the EB S that followed it. Damn EB cost me more than the purchase price just to keep it on the road for 4 years....
metallurg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #30
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Only have had the 2 and still, have the 2, The Au xr8 is fantastic but only because of mods which make it great, So I would have to say the XY GT replica, Nothing still brings a smile to my face than the time spent behind the wheel in my early driving days. Nothing I enjoyed more than cruising in the summer especially at night 60mph, four windows down listening to the purr of the Windsor V8 through a twin system.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post