Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-01-2006, 11:36 PM   #1
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Default '06 Rally WRC in Monaco holding the lead

Well I'm hoping for a win to start what might be a sensational season for the new LS '06 Focus WRC. Loeb is being held back by Gronholm and tomorrow will be a tense day (or tonight should we say while we are sleeping) to see if he can hold out his 2 minute + lead.

Here's some pics of the action so far, must say it's arguably the most photogenic rally of the year, helped by the cars running on road rims and doing lots of nice handbrake turns!!!!!

It's incredibly hard to find WRC photos during the Rally, I found them from the Automobile Club of Moncao's website but I had to screen capture them!!!! Urgh. Enjoy.

Old 22-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

More...

Old 23-01-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

and finally...

VS the mighty Mk I Focus!!!

Old 23-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good work matt. I'll give u my 2 thumbs up for the pics, i'm praying for gron to win tonight in my sleep too
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 12:09 AM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

How is Atkins going?
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 12:24 AM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

http://www.rally.com.au/home/latestnews/articleid=1873

Chris Atkinson maintains a strong hold on a points scoring position with one leg remaining of the Rallye Monte Carlo.

Atkinson and co-driver Glenn Macneall continued their conservative approach towards the event during the second leg to be in sixth position overnight and remain on track for a career best result in a tarmac event aboard their Subaru Rally Team Australia Impreza WRC2005.

“During the opening leg we benefited from some good tyre decisions which helped us move up the leader board and today we knew we would drop a few positions but we have lost a bit more time than we wanted to,” said Atkinson.

“When I was preparing for this weekend I was very conscious of final stage of today which included the famous Col de Turini section. This section has caught so many people out in the past so I took it very cautiously, I was probably too cautious but I’d loose some time than push too hard and make a mistake which could end our rally.”

Tomorrow’s third and final leg of the 74th Rallye Monte Carlo will again consist of six stages with a total competitive distance of 116.30 competitive kilometres, including two passes across the treacherous Col De Turini section of the event.

“The aim for the start of the weekend was to obtain a solid result and score some points, right now we are on track for that, tomorrow will be about picking the pace up a bit to ensure we maintain our position in the points without taking too many risks,” said Atkinson.

With one leg remaining Ford’s Marcus Gronholm has a two-minute lead over Toni Gardemeister who is hotly pursued by Manfred Stohl. Dual World Champion Sebastien Loeb was the big mover throughout the day winning every stage contested and elevating himself from eighth to fourth position.
Old 23-01-2006, 12:26 AM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Thanks mate. Good job with the pics as well
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 12:34 AM   #8
zetec
Zoom Zoom

My pleasure. Expect me to ramp up my reports on the Focus in the local ARC when it hits the track this season starting March in Canberra. I'm in heaven!!
Old 23-01-2006, 12:55 AM   #9
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

He won boys.......the first of many victories in 06 I'm thinking. Not bad though, first time out (excluding rally OZ) for the new Focus and a win is alrerady on the board. Can't help but be impressed by Loeb's comeback (finished 2nd) after his crash on Day 1 though. Should be some ripper battles between those two this year. Btw, Atkinson finished 6th.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 01:25 AM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Woot now I can sleep!!!
Old 23-01-2006, 11:04 AM   #11
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice pics, now can anyone name a wrc car that looks better than that?.............. yeah i didn't think so
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 11:11 AM   #12
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Top effort for finding these photo's Matt. Is it just an illusion but is there a larger diameter wheel on the front of Gronholm's Focus? And the MkI's still look great.

Now for the Rally of Canberra! I'm going to start planning for this in the next week or so. I know it's early, but I'm keen.

I hope we can get some EUROFORDCLUB members attending the R.O.C.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 09:26 PM   #13
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Matt, I forgot to compliment you on these pics - they are amongst the best I've ever laid eyes on. Not only do they feature (as Zetec20 has already pointed out) the best looking car in the WRC :, but the Monte backdrops are simply breathtaking. Were there any high res versions available? I’d love to use some of those pics as my desktop.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Yee Haa this is how to drive a Mk I !!!!!

Unfortunately I can't find any other hi-res but am looking. These are high-er res but not 1024 size for full screen. They have a good gallery collection, had this link at work today, knew it was saved somewhere.

Here's some more, but I'll keep looking. Rally pics are amongst some of the hardest to find these days, good ones that is. It's stil an underground sport.

http://www.rallye-info.com/gallery.asp

Old 24-01-2006, 12:57 AM   #15
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Congrats to both Marcus Grönholm and Timo Rautiainen hopefully the frist of many win for Ford and a FIA World Rally Championship.

Both the new & old Focus look hot.
Old 24-01-2006, 01:23 AM   #16
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Let's hope this is Ford's year! It has started well.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 12:56 PM   #17
tabaccs

Managed to stumble across a few high res pics (1024*768) of the new wrc focus.. gotta love the oz superturismo rims they run it on.. enjoy!!

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/focus_wrc.asp

ST170 Side Indicators, K&N Panel Filter, Factory Scuff Plates,
Leather/Alloy Handbrake Cover, Body Kit
tabaccs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
Focituner

Great pics with great views. wow, makes me want to come over and see a rally.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post