Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Thinking about buying an AU2 XR6 Ute

Hey guys,

I am thinking about buying an AU2 XR6 ute in white. Car is in excellent condition for its age, been sheded its whole life. Its winter white and stock as a rock, all original except for CD player. Everything works and its had a lot of money spent on maintenance over the years. Guy wants $5300 what are your thoughts. I have been thinking about it for the last day (my first new ute was identical to this one except for the transmission, so its a bit nostalgic for me).

Whats everyone think? I have been chasing some parts already for spares / replacement but its getting hard to find anything AU.

Cheers,

Brent
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: Thinking about buying an AU2 XR6 Ute

Buy it. The only problem you will have is all the hot women throwing themselves at you
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #3
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

For $5.3k it would want to be in very good nick with low kays, VCT motor and manual. Options like bodykit and leather would be nice too. You can't go wrong really if it's been looked after.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
For $5.3k it would want to be in very good nick with low kays, VCT motor and manual. Options like bodykit and leather would be nice too. You can't go wrong really if it's been looked after.

Its done 146k. Its got no options other then a sports bar. It is a little dear but the seller wont budge as there's nothing else really on the market like it. Its pretty much been a weekend vehicle for the last 14 years, when I seen it I was blown away but yeah the price is top dollar I believe. It is a VCT manual, has a brand new exhaust, radiator and has been serviced every 10k by the same mechanic for the last 14 years. All it needs is some clear side indicators and mudspats which neither can be purchased from Ford anymore
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
speedzter

For a well looked after, well presented Ute with a good service history, I would pay the asking price no problems !
They are becoming hard to find !
speedzter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2018, 03:50 PM   #6
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Its done 146k. Its got no options other then a sports bar. It is a little dear but the seller wont budge as there's nothing else really on the market like it. Its pretty much been a weekend vehicle for the last 14 years, when I seen it I was blown away but yeah the price is top dollar I believe. It is a VCT manual, has a brand new exhaust, radiator and has been serviced every 10k by the same mechanic for the last 14 years. All it needs is some clear side indicators and mudspats which neither can be purchased from Ford anymore
Sounds like it's worth the money.

The clear side indicators went obsolete in June as i was trying to get some shortly after. I have someone looking into stock levels for me nationally so I'll let you know if any come up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PridenJoy View Post
Sounds like it's worth the money.

The clear side indicators went obsolete in June as i was trying to get some shortly after. I have someone looking into stock levels for me nationally so I'll let you know if any come up.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers,

I am also chasing some mudspats (front and rear) and chrome interior handles if you have any or know of any , and spare xr6 badges (used as i know you cant get new ones).
Old 05-12-2018, 05:55 PM   #8
MustangStevo63

seems a goer - can only go up over time - (i hope!!)
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #9
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Cheers,

I am also chasing some mudspats (front and rear) and chrome interior handles if you have any or know of any , and spare xr6 badges (used as i know you cant get new ones).

I should have the lot. Just PM me how many badges you're after and we'll work it out.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I've just bought an AUII XR6 VCT ute in manual with 261ks - great car. While mine was a lot cheaper than yours I have had to spend a few dollars on it to get it up to scratch.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2018, 06:55 PM   #11
XR815

If it is turn key and spot on 5 k is reasonable. I have the same but auto and it now has 417000km and drives great.

I bought mine with 375k 3 years ago and i would have spent 2 or 3 grand in maintenence due to the km.

Someone will buy it at or near that price if it is genuine.

Will it be you?
XR815 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

At that price and those km's its a bargain in my opinion.

Browsing Carsales for Falcon Utes on regular basis has show to me that Utes are holding their values incredibly well.

I know this is an XR8, but $8,000 for a nigh on 300,000km Falcon is ridiculous.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...16594185/?Cr=4
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #13
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I have decided not to go ahead.

The reason why is:

XR6 5300 Transfer 300 Tint 220 Tonneau 199 Books 60 Tyres 450 Wheel Repairs 400 Paint Touch ups 250 Floor mats 99 Wiper Blades 60 Steering Wheel / Gearshift Recover 400 Service 800 New Radio 300 Total 8838

It will owe me $9k for a car that I can only insure for $2900, not even what I paid for it.
Old 17-12-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surely if you pay $3k for a similar car, you will still need to spend the same $3.5k to bring it up to your requirements, so $6.5k for a $2.9k insured value. Then you will need to spend any $$$ on repairs and the car won’t be as well looked after or as good nick, or possibly as reliable.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Surely if you pay $3k for a similar car, you will still need to spend the same $3.5k to bring it up to your requirements, so $6.5k for a $2.9k insured value. Then you will need to spend any $$$ on repairs and the car won’t be as well looked after or as good nick, or possibly as reliable.

I was only buying it as a shed ornament, don't need it so wont buy it.