Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-12-2018, 01:12 AM   #1
marcusturbo

Default EGR Valve Problems??

2010 MB TDCi 103kW Auto - 151000kms

My problem is that when the car is at idle revs or when manoeuvring, the engine cuts out. Sometimes at the same time is will puff a bit of smoke oot the back. It's only just starting doing this and it's very annoying.
Thinking it was the EGR, I took this off and gave it a clean but it was quite clean in the first place. The only thing that seemed odd is that the valve doesn't fully close but does when the plug is connected, solenoid energises and pulls the valve closed. When cleaning I fully closed the valve, filled the inlet side with kerosene and none leaks through so the valve seat is fine.

Out today looking at new cars, surprise surprise, and it was behaving badly.
Drives fine out on the open road, it's only if you stop or when manoeuvring.

Is my EGR valve faulty or is it something else.
Ford want $450 for a new one and interesting my ford garage( Perth WA) have never sold one previously or got one into the shop.
Old 29-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: EGR Valve Problems??

There are other possibilities but it's probably throwing DTC's so a quick visit to Supercheap for a scan might be a good idea before wasting money.

Also, when it blows smoke out the back does the glow plug light illuminate?

Here are just a few that may not raise codes:

Fuel filter blocked
Air ingress into the fuel lines

These almost certainly will throw DTC's

EGR valve
MAF, MAP, CKP, FRP sensors
Fuel pump fuel pressure regulator
Intake air shut-off throttle or solenoid

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
marcusturbo

Default Re: EGR Valve Problems??

When it blows smoke out the back does the glow plug light illuminate? - nothing on dash

Fuel filter blocked - Car was serviced only a month ago which I know means nothing but when you give it the beans she still gives full power. Other than at idle she drives perfectly.

Air ingress into the fuel lines - As above but there is no air in the system.

Intake air shut-off throttle or solenoid - I wonder if the butterfly is sticking?? I cleaned all the intake out only a month or so ago so there is no sludge holding it open.

I'm thinking that I might go to the garage and see if i can replicate problem when they are there. Other than that i think the garage need to have a fiddle and see if they can find something I can't.

Soon as this problem is fixed, it's being sold.