Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default who hires caravans to drive around with for a hour or so

hi everyone

was wondering where would you be able to go to hire caravans that would hire them out for a hour and what costs are and how do you go about it if the particular car you got has only got 3rd party insurance which covers damage to someone elses property or car but not your own.

is there caravan places that hire them near the kadina sa area within a hour or no more than 2 without having to travel to adelaide caravan places.

still dont have a caravan and it could be years before owning one so got to try make do but would like to drive one around.

also what could you do about car if yours even though is a bit better now but still has things to attend to

what would be the minimum to fix in the ef fairmont needs front shocks soon and a rack at some point and oneday a proper fix for the head gasket, the liquid intelligence has fixed it and kept it going for now fingers crossed but it may come back anytime ( could last a year or could last 5 years) has a new radiator slightly larger than standard factory one and has a new water pump.

towed a car trailer with a ed fairmont years back with chemiweld for about 20km and no real trouble but it had a new radiator

if anyone could think of ideas to keep in mind thatd be wonderful
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #2
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who hires caravans to drive around with for a hour or so

Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jesse Pinkman?
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It would probably be cheaper to just hire out a room for the hr or so mate, she’d probably enjoy it more and thank you afterwards too.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 21-05-2017 at 11:07 PM.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
was wondering where would you be able to go to hire caravans that would hire them out for a hour
You need to look in cities or larger towns where people have better cars or can afford more repairs at once an they because of either can make deffinate plans to meet somewhere because cars less likely to have something go wrong or have a regular place to have people over
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2017, 12:14 AM   #6
sr71

Just nick one! You'll have it back before the plod get there. No harm done. And this thread is proof that you weren't going to keep it etc. Probably do them a favour too. Get the grease moving in the wheel bearings and all.
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #7
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

itd be nice to get the experience of towing a van and dont have one so thats reason for asking where thered be a caravan shop you could hire a van to just drive around the local town for a hour and bring back, and how do you go about insurance if towing car is only 3rd party property
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #8
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Ahhhh it's been a loooong day for me at work and I'm nearly at the end.......I was just about in tears after reading the post then seeing your response. Gold - still laughin. Galaxies response is gold also lmfao
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 02:20 AM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't buy a caravan because of the driving experience. You get them so you can have those amenities in places where you there are no hotels, and you're not doing a tent camp. The biggest difference between it and a car trailer, is the car trailer (loaded) will typically have a higher tongue weight, stressing out a car a lot more. Even if it's leveled, you still have fluctuations because of dips in the road etc. Caravans, while lighter on the hitch, are more susceptible to sway from wind gusts because of the shape. It helps to have a bigger, heavier tow vehicle with a wide wheel track and long wheel base to keep it stable. 2 axle caravans are easier to keep steady, and easier to control while reversing.
Don't get it to drive around town. If you want one, just get one and make sure you have a suitable tow vehicle with a properly rated hitch, brake controller, and tranny cooler.
chevypower is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #10
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're probably going to be up for a minimum of 1-2 days hire, so plan a trip away that's not too far & go for it.

If you only want something short-term, hire a long dual-axle enclosed trailer - like the ones they hire out to people who are moving house. You should be able to get one for 4 hours for around $150 or so, and insurance won't be an issue. Even a horse float would get you some experience.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Y.P. is a pretty friendly place, surely theres someone you know who has a 'van and would...
1...allow you to borrow theirs
2...go with you and give advice at same time
3...allow you to drive their car as well.

another option look for suckers I mean people at caravan parks with a tinny. When they go fishing, just borrow everything they left behind. (sorry just being stupid.
Old 22-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
itd be nice to get the experience of towing a van and dont have one so thats reason for asking where thered be a caravan shop you could hire a van to just drive around the local town for a hour and bring back, and how do you go about insurance if towing car is only 3rd party property
Glad you were able to pause long enough to slip a comma in there. I guess capital letters and other rules of grammar are not your thing. Right?

So to reply in kind - i suppose you could go around the caravan dealers and ask them if theyd mind if you borrowed one of their vans and told them you are only third party insured but i think they may baulk at that as their own insurance company would deny them coverage so it might be hard so that would give you time to fix the ef head gasket and look at replacing the shocks
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to your local caravan rental place and ask for one for a one hour rental for the driving experience they will probably take a photo of you and put you on a 'do not rent list'

Just get one for the weekend and go for a holiday.

I do understand where he is coming from. I have wanted to see how my ute would go towing a decent size trailer, but I'm not going to rent one just for the sake of driving it around.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't hire you a caravan
5.8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2017, 04:10 PM   #15
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No offence but have a look at some of this blokes other post's on friend's and van' either he has a serious problem or it's someone taking the ****
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11461594
Have a read of this one it's a pearler this is, his original van thread
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452771
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #16
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

I'm still adamant it's the Hulk.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #17
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go to a Caravan Dealer and ask if you can take a Caravan for a test drive behind your car.

Can you elaborate on what brand of Liquid Intelligence you used?
I have a few things to fix on my car also.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #18
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Hey guys, maybe if we all sat back and thought a little more about this member's different posts over time, we might start seeing a pattern that isn't quite the norm..

And no, it's not Hulky...
Old 22-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #19
.:4:.
Kicking back

Isn't the cheapest way to get a trailer (for tip runs) to buy a legnth of dowel from bunnings that's longer then the boot of the car and use the curtsousy trailer? Whilst long trailers are easier to reverse, being a boat owner with a 5.8m on a 7 and a bit metre trailer that's 2 foot wider then the car, whilst it's not difficult, it puts 1600kg extra strain on the motor and more importantly the brakes. My trailer has inertia brakes which help but aren't great, but alot of caravans have electronic brakes that without a brake controller will add to the repair list on the car.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #20
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
Hey guys, maybe if we all sat back and thought a little more about this member's different posts over time, we might start seeing a pattern that isn't quite the norm..

I think your on the money, and I would also appreciate the mods keeping their eyes on this one, There is more to this person than we know, someone (I guess) who is shy, maybe feels awkward around other people for whatever reason, wanting to do something himself but without support or encouragement.

I wish to apolagise to the poster for my attitude to you, for trying to make fun of you, If I have offended and upset you, I deeply deeply oppologise.

Any one who likes to carry on with sarcastic remarks can find themselves heading for legal action. I myself will press charges against you for abuse.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nd no I have no idea who the poster is.
Old 22-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #22
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post

My suspicions are this poster is very introverted, scared and nervous around other people, maybe because he has been treated just like we have treated him today.

He may not have the balls like you have but thats no excuse to abuse him.I would like to offer my sincere appolagises to you poster for the stupid written comments I wrote earlier. I meant you no harm.

Would the moderators PLEASE keep track of this thread and close it if attitudes dont change.

Having a 13 year old grand daughter who has attempted suicide because other others attitudes to her, I will now stand up for this dude.
Old 22-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #23
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

The mods do keep an eye on these threads...

No need to beat yourself up about any posts / replies, just bear in mind that some of us have views of the world / life that are not the same as other peoples.
Old 22-05-2017, 10:32 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
My suspicions are this poster is very introverted, scared and nervous around other people, maybe because he has been treated just like we have treated him today.

He may not have the balls like you have but thats no excuse to abuse him.I would like to offer my sincere appolagises to you poster for the stupid written comments I wrote earlier. I meant you no harm.

Would the moderators PLEASE keep track of this thread and close it if attitudes dont change.

Having a 13 year old grand daughter who has attempted suicide because other others attitudes to her, I will now stand up for this dude.
Think you are absolutely correct on the OP, thought the regular people around here would have worked him out by now, he is harmless in his post's.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #25
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Last edited by marty351; 27-06-2017 at 12:40 AM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2017, 08:58 AM   #26
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are towing a large van it will probably have electric brakes so you're going to need a brake controller ($$$) or if you go for an older van it might have over ride brakes just like a big car trailer you can hire.
if you want to get used to the size and weight behind your car go and hire a car trailer and tow around a mates car, 4 hours hire from a servo is about $100 or so. then practice maneuvering around empty carparks, steep hills, freeways. and if you're really keen a dirt road (scared the crap out of me when i realised ABS was useless on the dirt)
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post