Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default electric handbrake

hey guys just wondering how the electric handbrake got past the ADR.
I thought the whole point of a hand/emergency brake was just that if your primary brakes failed you still had a stand alone cable operated system too help you stop incase of brake failure

I have seen some cars with burst brake hoses and people used the emergency brake to help stop and avoid trouble.

I was just watching youtube where the guy pulls an electric handbrake but the car didn't stop anywhere quickly enough although it did stop.

So yeah just wondering always thought in the ADR'S that handrake had to be a manual stand alone system foir that reason
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: electric handbrake

in VF Commodores if the EPB switch is pulled up (to engage the brake) while moving, and held up, it will slow the car to a complete stop. Not sure how quickly, or how quickly compared to a normal park brake, but the functionality is still there to answer your question re ADR's
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

ADR31/01 has the details https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2010C00150
Quote:
5.1.2.3. Parking braking system

The parking braking system must make it possible to hold the vehicle stationary on an up or down gradient even in the absence of the driver, the working parts being then held in the locked position by a purely mechanical device. The driver must be able to achieve this braking action from his driving seat.

5.2.2. The systems providing service, secondary and parking braking may have common components so long as they fulfil the following conditions:

5.2.2.4. the parking braking system must be so designed that it can be actuated when the vehicle is in motion;
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forgot to ask what if the car is parked for ages and the battery dies especially in cars with a manual transmission
Old 14-05-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boza View Post
Forgot to ask what if the car is parked for ages and the battery dies especially in cars with a manual transmission
Isn't that why you leave manuals in gear?
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The regulations quoted above state it must be locked in place by a purely mechanical device. Sounds like electric handbrake systems use electric power to engage, but mechanical system to hold it there.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2017, 09:12 PM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I've seen my fair share that don't unfortunately.
My neighbour had a manual xf in the early 90's, it was constantly rolling out onto the road cause either he didn't put it in gear or the handbrake failed.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Having seen how some people jump in and start a car (and Truck) I NEVER leave any vehicle in gear.
Old 14-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #9
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

With modern manuals don't you have to depress the clutch to start the car?

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #10
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
It stays applied.

Pretty sure these things are fairly well thought out before they are applied.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The first Volvo trucks that came out with them set up as fuel tankers had to have retro fitted manual operated park brakes fitted as in nz we have cab operated electrical master switches in case of emergency .... oops no park brake ? Makes you wonder what happens when you get a bad battery connection ? ....spose you'll have to rely on park in the auto ....some of this tech is just crap

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #12
RTV10814
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
in VF Commodores if the EPB switch is pulled up (to engage the brake) while moving, and held up, it will slow the car to a complete stop. Not sure how quickly, or how quickly compared to a normal park brake, but the functionality is still there to answer your question re ADR's

You can perform a mediocre handbrake turn,but nothing like having the feel of a real handbrake.once you have turned 180 deg you accelerate the electronic handbrake comes off automatically

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RTV10814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2017, 01:42 PM   #13
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
With modern manuals don't you have to depress the clutch to start the car?

VE certainly had it.

I hated it.
I'm a stir the box to ensure neutral, feet off the pedals, hit the starter kind of fella.

It drove me nuts.

For the life of me, I don't understand why we need electric park brakes. If it aint broke....

Problem is a large percentage of the population see this as a reason to buy one car over another.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #14
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
VE certainly had it.

I hated it.
I'm a stir the box to ensure neutral, feet off the pedals, hit the starter kind of fella.

It drove me nuts.

For the life of me, I don't understand why we need electric park brakes. If it aint broke....

Problem is a large percentage of the population see this as a reason to buy one car over another.
I'm not a big fan of electric handbrakes as it's another thing I have to think about compared to the visual ease of pulling and releasing a handle but at the same time it also isn't a huge issue for me.

The clutch isn't a bad idea, I know you can't reach through the window and kick the car over but with Stop/Start buttons being on the left of the steering wheel in most cars it takes a reach longer than mine to now achieve that anyway and on the safety side it stops the forgetful from putting their cars through the garage wall or jumping a kerb or worst, kangarooing over a child or innocent bystander.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2017, 06:14 PM   #15
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of them you can release by just hitting the throttle ...which teaches the bad habit of not releasing it manually , and imo just dumbs down the driver that little bit more also how many times have you jumped out of the car in a hurry and as your leaving thought s€£t did I put the handbrake on ? ...so a quick peak in there....yep all good ...so with the electric one your gonna unlock the car put the key in to check the dash light , or even key less muck around to check ? .....don't think so

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #16
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Good for hill starts.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2017, 06:25 PM   #17
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Having seen how some people jump in and start a car (and Truck) I NEVER leave any vehicle in gear.
I have seen people do that too, but I was always taught the first thing to do in a manual is check what gear it's in before starting it. One guy I used to work with almost got crushed between his van and a garage door as he was on a slope, handbrake only and was on the back step tieing down a ladder when it rolled. He had enough time and space to dive into the open drivers door to stop it about 2 inches from the door. He needed a clean pair of undies after that.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #18
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
isnt that why most of us instinctively stomp the floor with our left foot when we go to start an automatic?
Old 16-05-2017, 08:00 AM   #19
mcsweenyfives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I'm not a big fan of electric handbrakes as it's another thing I have to think about compared to the visual ease of pulling and releasing a handle but at the same time it also isn't a huge issue for me.

The clutch isn't a bad idea, I know you can't reach through the window and kick the car over but with Stop/Start buttons being on the left of the steering wheel in most cars it takes a reach longer than mine to now achieve that anyway and on the safety side it stops the forgetful from putting their cars through the garage wall or jumping a kerb or worst, kangarooing over a child or innocent bystander.

The electric brake takes a bit of getting used to but I now have a sequence when I start the car. Jump in foot on brake, release electric brake, press start button put in gear. All without a bloody lever getting in the way. I much prefer my electric brake.

In the Mondeo the electric brake can be applied with the ignition off.

In 25 years of driving I've never had to apply the hand brake in an emergency. Perhaps it has something to do with well maintained vehicles.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2017, 07:14 PM   #20
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate the things, they are fiddly and confusing if you drive a lot of different vehicles, what can be better than a simple cable operated hand brake like a Falcon.
Recently I was driving a Subaru Liberty, to apply the handbrake you pushed a square button on the RHS of the steering wheel and pulled It to release, there were instructions printed on it that you could only read if you opened the door and kneeled on the ground, very clever, also when the hand brake is on, the gear selector becomes locked in park. one day the handbrake would not release, spent half an hour sitting in the car trying to get out of park, not able to go any where. It would even be a problem dragging it onto a tilt tray could damage the auto.

Another day had to drive a late model Commodore, the dinky little toggle thing on the console was about as useful as tits on a bull.

What happens when the full on, or off hand brake is applied on a slippery road, I would think that you would have gone backwards into a fence before you would manage to release it.

I dislike interlocks on controls, I'll use them as I want to, not the way some engineer 10,000 km away decided.
Old 16-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #21
lamborghinifan

Not fun trying to get a car with completely flat battery out of a garage to jump start it. Not enough go to unlatch the electric brake. Bought a proper jumper pack after that.
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #22
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to use my handbrake in an emergency once! Thanks to useless ABS on a slippery road!

Coming down a hill on dirt, but greasy dirt round a corner, big tree across the road. Brake!! No that didnt work as the ABS just keeps you continuing on, so I pulled the handbrake and pulled up sideways just a metre or so at a perfect 90 degrees from the tree :-)
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 01:59 AM   #23
marty351
Shenanigans..............

^^^^^
Interweb winner of the day.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 02:22 AM   #24
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No probs with mine in the SS, Nice and tidy, no big lever in the way, never tried it on the move, hoping I never have too, that's what the Brembo's are for.
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 07:05 AM   #25
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I guess some people just don't like change

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post