Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #721
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Why is it......

That car makers put "style" before safety, even if said "style" is debatable in it's appearance.

I'm taking about lights here - blinkers mainly. In the last week, I've noticed this more & more. One is a new Hyundai 4WD - probably the Santa-Fe, but I'm not 100% sure which Hyundai SUV. Front blinkers are in the outer ends of the headlight housing, half way around the front guard. The blinker section is this oddball shaped end, with an intricately detailed clear lense that has a heap of lines down it - a bit like an old headlight. But waiting at a roundabout, first in line, with it approaching from your right, with the left blinker on, it's almost impossible to see it flashing. However, once it starts to turn the corner, the flashing is quite bright. Likewise if you're a few cars back in the line, so on say a 45 degree angle - it's quite fine there too. But head on, or up to about 30 degrees off axis, it's almost impossible to see if it's flashing.

And then there's the drop-kick "designers" who put them down in the bumper bar where the fog lamps go. Ford Kuga is the perfect example, and the new Hyundai Tucson is similar, but not as bad.

With the proliferation of roundabouts in society, usually planted with some form of small shrubs, flowers, or a low brick structure, you simply cannot see these blinkers. You can clearly see the headlights, and a section at the end that appears like it should have a blinker in it. I wonder how many times drivers of these vehicles turn right at a roundabout and have people pull out in front because they can't actually see the blinker?

Once upon a time we had ADRs that dictated the placement of these things, and the brightness, as well as the viewing angle. I remember being defected for having a VH Commodore that was "too low" with the cop claiming nobody would be able to see my headlights or blinkers over a roundabout. I pointed to the Nissan Gazelle behind me in the RBT line, with blinkers in the bumper, and noted how low they were compared to mine... But these Kugas are down with the foglight. It's pathetic. Whoever signed off on that type approval obviously didn't think to hard about it.

We're seeing more & more of this haphazard & stupid placement of lights, just to be "different" - but not in a good way. Look at a Hyundai Kona, or a Nissan Puke for how stupidly ugly they are with the crazy placement of lights....

Why is it......
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #722
Lunch
Wait, what?

.... that Barnaby Joyce quit?
Good on him for scoring that chick, he’s batting way above his average with her.. he needs to be PM, what a legend, I’d genuinely vote for him based on this alone!!!
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 08:38 AM   #723
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bulls*** Lunch, stupid dopey bu**er got his deserts, I hope this relationship fails and he continues to look stupid.

Marriage is for life buddy, not till something else comes along, 4 teenage daughters have lost faith and trust in a (so called) father.

If his *** was on fire Id pour petrol on it
Old 24-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #724
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
he needs to be PM, what a legend, I’d genuinely vote for him based on this alone!!!
If that's true then I'd probably sorta prefer if you didn't vote at all.
That's the same sort of mentality that landed Trump president and look at what a ****ing disaster that has been.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #725
Lunch
Wait, what?

Why is it so many people are so concerned with s**t that has got nothing to do with them?
Old 24-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #726
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
bulls*** Lunch, stupid dopey bu**er got his deserts, I hope this relationship fails and he continues to look stupid.

Marriage is for life buddy, not till something else comes along, 4 teenage daughters have lost faith and trust in a (so called) father.

If his *** was on fire Id pour petrol on it
My point is, why did he lose his job because of it?

People cheat all the time, it’s not like he’s the first and yes, I agree marriage is for life but 50% of them fail, why should he get roasted when the rest of the population don’t?
Old 24-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #727
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:

People cheat all the time, it’s not like he’s the first and yes, I agree marriage is for life but 50% of them fail, why should he get roasted when the rest of the population don’t?
Tall poppy syndrome at its finest.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #728
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thinks about this scenario.

A CEO is busted banging his PA. One of his colleagues then informs him about the workplace rules that don't allow relationships between those in the same department. So he creates a $180K position under a different boss, and slots her into that role - no interviews, no ad for others to apply for the job.

Would they both not be hauled in front of HR and fired?

That's exactly what BJ has gone and done. It's not the affair that's the big issue - it's what he did to try to cover it all up and avoid being caught out - but failed.
5 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #729
Lunch
Wait, what?

Fair point
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2018, 02:17 PM   #730
marty351
Shenanigans..............

BJ....classic.
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #731
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Why is it...........

It's so hard to find a fly swat.

No problem finding various toxic chemicals to spray wilfully around the house but a simple paddle shaped plastic swat?

Cue visiting various shops, supermarkets and $2.00 shops spread from one end of town to the other till finding a $1.50 one, the only place in town who has them apparently.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2018, 05:10 PM   #732
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

That McDonald's have large well thought out restaurant areas and a good business formula, but all have pokey restrooms with wash hand basins so close to the damn door that people have to squeeze past you to get in?
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #733
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

That the bloody wooden pegs just disappear on their own somehow from the clothes line. Not on the ground , not on the clothes , not in the damn bucket .
Bloody where !!!!!!!!!!
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2018, 07:16 PM   #734
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
That McDonald's have large well thought out restaurant areas and a good business formula, but all have pokey restrooms with wash hand basins so close to the damn door that people have to squeeze past you to get in?
and they always stink!
Old 08-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #735
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
That the bloody wooden pegs just disappear on their own somehow from the clothes line. Not on the ground , not on the clothes , not in the damn bucket .
Bloody where !!!!!!!!!!
they go on adventures with your soxs mate, and they also have an amazing social network....? Yep... they (sox that is) always know when the other has disappeared they (the original missing one will come back home.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #736
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats the definition of rubbish/junk?

something you always throw out 3 days before you ....dang wish I hadn't thrown that out, I could use it now.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #737
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Bloody where !!!!!!!!!!
We kept wondering how the dog would get a peg to chew on, when they were on the line, or in a basket hanging from the line. That was until I watched a sulfer-crested cockatoo land on the line, and proceed to pluck the pegs off, dropping them onto the grass below. Destructive buggers they are - chewed all the cable ties off my TV aerial mast the other week too. Had to get s/steel heater hose clamps to stop them doing it again.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:17 AM   #738
lovford
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Hey it is all of our fault when it comes to p platers drivers, you should know that by now, obtw keep out of their way & don't hold them up.
Smoke it up, so they cant see where there going. They would probably drive better blind.
lovford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 01:54 AM   #739
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Whats the definition of rubbish/junk?

something you always throw out 3 days before you ....dang wish I hadn't thrown that out, I could use it now.
Just about anything from Bunnings is rubbish/junk good for landfill, like most everything else from China/India
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 02:01 AM   #740
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Because he used his family as an example many times and put himself forward as a trustworthy family man with values when he is a self entitled so & so with no interest but furthering his own agenda, just like most politicians & people in powerful positions.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2018, 08:13 AM   #741
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
We kept wondering how the dog would get a peg to chew on, when they were on the line, or in a basket hanging from the line. That was until I watched a sulfer-crested cockatoo land on the line, and proceed to pluck the pegs off, dropping them onto the grass below. Destructive buggers they are - chewed all the cable ties off my TV aerial mast the other week too. Had to get s/steel heater hose clamps to stop them doing it again.
run some 12volt power up amongst the stainless zip ties ...bugga the do gooders.
Old 25-03-2018, 08:50 PM   #742
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Warning: Generalisation incoming...........

Why is it Toyota Hilux drivers seem to be some of the most aggressive on the road. Almost like they have something to prove?
Mustang GT

Old 25-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #743
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably the same way architects drive saabs and people who have volvos can be appalling on the road it seems those type of people buy those types of cars.
Again another generalisation.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2018, 09:10 PM   #744
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Probably the same way architects drive saabs and people who have volvos can be appalling on the road it seems those type of people buy those types of cars.
Again another generalisation.
With Saab gone, I think Skoda are now the architects chosen steed.

And with Volvo now being a somewhat trendy brand, Camry or Accord seems to be the replacement.

Of course all determined by specific, scientific and thorough research conducted by the university of me
Mustang GT

Old 25-03-2018, 11:46 PM   #745
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it, that smokers seem to think they are the only people in the world, and the only car on the road?

In the last week, across 2 different states, I've had idiots flick their butts out in front of my car on the road - one of them went up the bonnet of a borrowed car (interstate) and luckily, didn't go down where the wipers are. I'm sure I caught the other one somewhere in the bottom of the bumper, under the radiator, as the smoke smell kept coming into the car (even on recirc) long after he was gone.

And people all preach the dangers of mobile phones, but how about the fools who need 2 hands to light a smoke whilst driving down a country road?
You're cruising along at the speed limit, next thing they drop 20km/h and start wandering around. Then you see the flame flicker in the rear view mirror reflection. And why do they do it on a single lane stretch, and then speed up when the dual lane secion opens up just 100m up the road?

And don't get me started on those absolute tossers who throw their butts out the window and start fires. Coming into our estate used to be a pleasant experience, but because of 2 incidences where drop kicks started scrub fires, council have stripped out all the vegetation, most of the small trees, and all the low-hanging limbs off the larger trees, to remove the fuel sources (they replaced it with new bark chip).
Instead of nice greenery (and admittedly, a lot of leaf litter on the ground) now you all you can see is the backs of houses and ugly fences. The residents along there are now whinging about the increase in traffic noise too.
Old 26-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #746
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Why is it, that smokers seem to think they are the only people in the world, and the only car on the road?

In the last week, across 2 different states, I've had idiots flick their butts out in front of my car on the road - one of them went up the bonnet of a borrowed car (interstate) and luckily, didn't go down where the wipers are. I'm sure I caught the other one somewhere in the bottom of the bumper, under the radiator, as the smoke smell kept coming into the car (even on recirc) long after he was gone.

And people all preach the dangers of mobile phones, but how about the fools who need 2 hands to light a smoke whilst driving down a country road?
You're cruising along at the speed limit, next thing they drop 20km/h and start wandering around. Then you see the flame flicker in the rear view mirror reflection. And why do they do it on a single lane stretch, and then speed up when the dual lane secion opens up just 100m up the road?

And don't get me started on those absolute tossers who throw their butts out the window and start fires. Coming into our estate used to be a pleasant experience, but because of 2 incidences where drop kicks started scrub fires, council have stripped out all the vegetation, most of the small trees, and all the low-hanging limbs off the larger trees, to remove the fuel sources (they replaced it with new bark chip).
Instead of nice greenery (and admittedly, a lot of leaf litter on the ground) now you all you can see is the backs of houses and ugly fences. The residents along there are now whinging about the increase in traffic noise too.
http://www.epa.vic.gov.au/get-involved/report-litter

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #747
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done that in NSW where I saw the same uy 2 days in a row do it in the same spot.
But the one last week was in Qld, at night, and I couldn't get his plate without setting off ET sticking his head up out of a trailer on the side of the road.
The local estate ones - never seen anyone throw the butts, just the charred aftermath.
Old 27-03-2018, 10:50 PM   #748
leesa

Why is it that we can't do anything to stop others driving like fools and raising everyone else's insurance premiums when they ultimately have a crash and trash their car.

https://thewest.com.au/news/australi...-ng-b88786805z

Blind freddy can see he was going way too fast around those bends in that weather in an empty ute but so it is and now he wants to warn other drivers to be extra vigilant through the winding adelaide hills.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 AM   #749
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Why is it...........

It's so hard to find a fly swat.

No problem finding various toxic chemicals to spray wilfully around the house but a simple paddle shaped plastic swat?

Cue visiting various shops, supermarkets and $2.00 shops spread from one end of town to the other till finding a $1.50 one, the only place in town who has them apparently.
A pair of old thongs is a good substitute. Bring them in fast from either side. Gets them almost every time.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #750
Trendseeker

Why is it that people hit the supermarket and buy enough provisions to last a month when it is only going to be closed for one day?