Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-05-2005, 06:45 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default A Happy Boston Acoustics fan

As of today, I made the final addition to home theatre setup (except for the sub, which won't be far off). For anyone who is looking at starting a home theatre, I can fully recommend Boston Acoustics.

My system consists of:
CR97 Fronts (cost me $850)
CR75 Rears ($550)
CRC Centre ($380)
Denon DVD 800 DVD Player ($400)
Denon AVR1803 Receiver ($900)
All of the prices were reduced from retail.

My system is at the lower price bracket of the market, but I am VERY happy with it. I have read numerous reviews of the Boston CR range, with reviewers constantly commenting about how these speakers outperform speakers costing twice as much.

BA in the US...http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_product_line.asp

Here is a link to the distributor of BA in Oz...http://www.hifivideomarketing.com.au/products.html

The Bostons are such a neutral speaker. They are punchy, accurate, and smooth...but still remain balanced (ie they are not boomy or have harsh high's). I have definatley caught the Boston Bug Just can't wait for my CR97's to loosen a little!

Now for some Boston's for the car...
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Sounds like a great setup Russ! Can i ask where you bought it all from?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

The Bostons were from a guy in Wodonga who repairs PA gear, HT equipment + other electronics. He's an agent for Boston. He looked after me a fair bit with prices. His business is called Pro Electronix, I can HIGHLY recommend him. He also sells Mitsubishi projectors, LCD TV's, screens etc. (at a very good price too). Here's his website:http://www.proelectronix.com.au/default.asp
(not sure if his website mentions BA though)

The Denon gear is from a local Retravison store.
Aust, if you want a demo next time you're coming through, let me know!
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
pb02
inconceivable!

Awesome!! Bostons are some of the best out there and have a great reputation! I'm sure you will be very happy with them!
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I think I may have played my Boston's a bit loud yesterday, my ears were ringing when I went to bed last night! Oh well, they're only new once...(they're Boston's, they can cope with anything you throw at them...well almost anything)

Old 11-05-2005, 06:07 PM   #6
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Meh...
I prefer Bose... But looks as if you got a good deal on your system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Boston's rock. Our setup upstairs was going to be a Boston accustic or KEF setup. We got a special on Mirage's so that was the final choice.

I can agree with your sentiments that the Bostons are a very very neutral speaker. Ive also auditioned their Pro line of car audio speakers and they display the same traits. Smooth and mellow without sounding hollow. They still have great range depth and presance without being intrusive. Seeing that it took you a while to relise your ears hurt from being too loud is a good sign. Ive found that the diffrence in my car setup compared to others. When i have mine cranked it doesnt "sound loud" however thats only because everything is still within spec, no distortion only clean sound. The same thing your finding with your BA's.

Well done mate.

Also that Dennon AVR was also on my list when choosing a reciever. A deal came allong on an Yamaha- RV-X1 though

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 06:49 PM   #8
Kryton

i have Bostons in my car and they are the best quality i have ever heard. when they were in the AU most people were asking how much the sub and amp cost. i laughed and said that all i had were 6x9 2 ways and that was it (apart from the front door speakers).
alot didnt believe me so i showed them, a few still asked where i had the amp hidden though.
i paid $550 for these about 4 years ago and they are still going strong and would happily spend the money on them again.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #9
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Weird, I was looking at some Bostons today and I hadnt ever heard of them before, now this thread pops up! werd
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #10
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Agreed with the quality of Boston Acoustics. Very, very good sound equipment.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 11:10 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got a surround sound system in my room and it cost me $200 for 5.1 Dolby/DTS. Cranks like hell (great with Digital Tv and listen to MP3z through it). Heard good things about Boston Acoustics and sounds like you got a great setup. Nothing like watchn a movie or listening to music with it up full vol in quality Dolby Digital/DTS surround .

A lot of the upmarking on more common brands is just for the name i believe. I doubt there would be a great deal in performance with a lot of them.

Enjoy as i know i do.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2005, 11:32 PM   #12
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
Weird, I was looking at some Bostons today and I hadnt ever heard of them before, now this thread pops up! werd
If you're in the market for home theatre speakers, I'd definately give them a listen.
Tonight, whilst doing a demo for some mates of mine, I rattled a picture frame that was at the other end of the house (my house is of 'average' size, and is double brick : ). I am amazed with the quality of my speakers...I've had the CR75 for a while, but the (recently) updated CR97's look even better!

...A pick of the CR97's (mine are the dark cherry colour)

Old 11-05-2005, 11:39 PM   #13
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very nice indeed. Get a huuuge sub now and you will rattle th picture frames down the street lol :sm_headba
Old 11-05-2005, 11:49 PM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Very nice indeed. Get a huuuge sub now and you will rattle th picture frames down the street lol :sm_headba
Yep, that will hopefully be in the next 6-12 months...Looking at Richter Thor MkIV or Subsonic XS-1!

(I must apolgize to my neighbours...: )

Old 12-05-2005, 12:03 AM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No they will be happy they dont have to fork out for the sound system they can enjoy yours lol. Sharing is caring.

My uncle has a wicked setup. Not sure what brand it is but hes got really huge 5.1 setup and a masive sub. Hes a soft cock though and never cranks it or basically never uses it. Anyways my aunt and uncle have gone on holidays now for a year so my cousin and I can crank it as much as we like. Why go to clubs to pick up chicks when you can bring the club to them lol.

Lucky with my house (group of units) I can crank my massive 3 ways hooked up to my computer via 5.1 surround and you wouldnt be able to hear the sound from next door. You can hear it immediately outside but if you gradually move towards next door you can barely hear it and then when your next door it would be almost impossible to hear. Maybe I need more power :evil3:

DISTURBE THE PEACE
Old 12-05-2005, 12:13 AM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I don't like annoying the neighbours, its just that my fronts are new...the novety of playing them (loud) will wear off, but I'll still listen to them every day. I love my music (and movies)...
I'm more of a SQL fan, not a SPL fan.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:19 AM   #17
One Drone
Lane HO

I'd imagine it would have been better to let the speakers settle at low volume for at least 50 hours before hammering them. Did the same thing with our Accusounds.
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 AM   #18
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Yep, that will hopefully be in the next 6-12 months...Looking at Richter Thor MkIV or Subsonic XS-1!

(I must apolgize to my neighbours...: )
Boston make great speakers, but be careful what you wish for with a subbie, you will make you ears bleed!
I run the TV through a Denon DRA-275RD and a pair of KEF Q-series, never had it over 1/4. I love loud music (hence the set-up) but 1/2 volume is as much as I can take in my average size house.

Last edited by Work Horse; 12-05-2005 at 12:26 AM.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2005, 12:28 AM   #19
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I'm more of a SQL fan, not a SPL fan.
lol. But if neighbours dont complain then i assume there is no problem. If they complained id turn it down but then again I have to put up with their annoying barking dogs at 4am and their annoying kids waking me up at 8am on a sunday morning after i just got plastered against the wall the night before. I get **** all sleep from this dog. I probably fell asleep bout 330am this morning and had to get up at 7am to go to school which is on the other side of town. I think im fair though.

I spose it would be a good idea to not crank them from new just like your meant to run in an engine but how many people actually do it lol
Old 12-05-2005, 01:15 AM   #20
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Don't worry people, I know the procedure of running in new speakers (only the fronts are brand new)...I've only turned them up a few times, otherwise they have been played below 'normal listening level' (have been playing constantly since yesterday arvo with some breaks here and there)...I've waited long enough for my new babies, they aren't going to be worn out within a week (or ten years for that matter).

Sorry Mitchay, I wasn't saying that you were rough on your neighbours! Although its sounds ok to do so with their dog and all
Just saying that I don't like to turn the volume knob up too often (prefer to listen to good music myself, and not let the whole block hear it as well).

Last edited by #Russ#Es#; 12-05-2005 at 01:17 AM.