Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
83Aerodyne
Starter Motor

Default Ba Manual question

I've recently bought a ba ute, stock standard with a 5 speed manual transmission. Previous owner had recently replaced the clutch and had the flywheel machined.

I have driven manuals all my life and consider myself competent in this respect but this gearbox has gotten me beat...

When starting from first, there doesn't seem to be a happy medium where the revs match the degree that the clutch is released. I find myself letting the clutch out to the point where the gears engage but the revs always seem to be insufficient and the ute feels like it's about to stall..

To prevent stalling I have to either rev it hard or ride the clutch.

Is there any adjustment in the system or is this symptomatic of some ogber problem.

My son has a VS Commodore ute with a manual transmission which feels as smooth as silk compared to mine...

Any ideas?
83Aerodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Ba Manual question

It might need an adjustent to the rod that goes to through the firewall. Try that first, my brother has a similar issue with his 5 speed au the mechanic didnt even charge him. So clutch rod adjustment.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure about the symptoms you have described, but cable clutches in older cars do feel much better than the hydraulic clutches on the BA, IMHO. Cables are much more predictable and feels more solid when engaging and disengaging. But you get use to the hydraulic clutches over time.

No adjustments on hydraulic clutches I'm afraid. Another down side.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Bleed the system and also check the slave cylinder rod travel is correctly adjusted (well fitted correctly) and the firewall is not cracked of flexing. See Section 208-02-9 of the factory workshop manual to do this.

Last edited by aussiblue; 24-12-2021 at 06:03 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2021, 05:51 PM   #5
83Aerodyne
Starter Motor

Someone suggested more than likely a motor problem. Throttle body sensor perhaps??
83Aerodyne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Check for engine fault codes.
Old 24-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeh plug a ODB2 scanner in and see what comes up.

Faulty TPS, throttle actuator, or even small vacuum leaks and bad O2s can cause the engine to behave oddly, and you are feeling it when changing gears.

When I had a small vacuum leak, it made the car drive like I didn't know how to change gears, actually come to think of it, similar symptoms to yours, can't match the revs to engagement point. I was blaming the clutch too at the time.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post