Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Day-mow
rexnet

Default broke my lock nut adapter. help

broke my lock nut adapter. how to i get my lock nuts off?

3 suggestions ive had so far;
1. use a drive and hit the nut. this will loosen it and then you should be able to get it off with whats left of the adapter.
2. get a 1/2' drive socket thats to small and belt it on. ruining the socket but should get the lock nut off.
3.weld a bolt to the lock nut and this is possibly the easiest way to get it off. if you have access to a welder

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
Scott

Belt on a smaller socket. Do it with an extension in place.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #3
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
broke my lock nut adapter. how to i get my lock nuts off?

3 suggestions ive had so far;
1. use a drive and hit the nut. this will loosen it and then you should be able to get it off with whats left of the adapter.
2. get a 1/2' drive socket thats to small and belt it on. ruining the socket but should get the lock nut off.
3.weld a bolt to the lock nut and this is possibly the easiest way to get it off. if you have access to a welder

If you have an identifying number on the lock nut adapter you should be able to get another replacement one unless it is broken and still stuck on the nut.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #4
WMD351
Size it up

Split 'em with a cold chisel or sacrifice 4 cheap sockets and rattle gun
edit: you run the risk of damaging the wheel with the chisel
WMD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 AM   #5
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
If you have an identifying number on the lock nut adapter you should be able to get another replacement one unless it is broken and still stuck on the nut.
i have the code that came with the car when it was brought. believe its a genuine ford adapter. will i be able to find a like pattern at say supercrap?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i have the code that came with the car when it was brought. believe its a genuine ford adapter. will i be able to find a like pattern at say supercrap?
Have a look. You may find that you can find one rather similar making it easier to 'smack' on and get them undone. But i would see how much a replacement from ford is first. Would be easier and less chance of damaging something.

Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
urbancowboy

You can buy replacements from Ford, I know this as a fact! Get your details and call your local Ford genuine spare parts! Look into doing that before you make any other attempt to remove them!
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #8
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was gonna suggest drive it ford to get them to do it, but realised your car is in bits atm

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 AM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cold chisel, or grind a slot in the end of the nut , big screw driver in the slot and loosen the nut, or find a big socket that is a tight fit over the lock nut, if you have clearance with the wheel, bang it on tight with a hammer(not to tight) , unscrew the nuts with a ratchet, put the socket in a vice use a big screw driver to knock the nut out of the socket ..........do it all again.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
You can buy replacements from Ford, I know this as a fact! Get your details and call your local Ford genuine spare parts! Look into doing that before you make any other attempt to remove them!
Sweeet!!! This is what I wanted to hear I shall give them a call this morning if not. I'm ruining some sockets

Old 12-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

One single socket will do it. I have gotten numerous locknuts off for customers, using one single REPCO branded socket.

As for the cold chisel method. I'd seriously recommend leaving the cold chisel in the tool box.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Day-mow
rexnet

Went to ford. They're ordering me one. $25 well spent

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That remind's me, I need to get one organised for mine aswell, thank's for reminding me.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
........find a big socket that is a tight fit over the lock nut, if you have clearance with the wheel, bang it on tight with a hammer(not to tight) , unscrew the nuts with a ratchet, put the socket in a vice use a big screw driver to knock the nut out of the socket ..........do it all again.
In the absence of being able to order a replacement (which the OP has done), this is ther method I have used in the past - this tends to damage the lock nuts rather than the socket. It's kind of scary how easy it is, and has made me wonder why we even bother with lock nuts at all.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
In the absence of being able to order a replacement (which the OP has done), this is ther method I have used in the past - this tends to damage the lock nuts rather than the socket. It's kind of scary how easy it is, and has made me wonder why we even bother with lock nuts at all.
Yeap I took them off my boys car, easy to remove with a throw away socket.

UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #16
TUF-640

Quote:
Went to ford. They're ordering me one. $25 well spent
with that said would be best to order another one as a spare, i lost my original adaptor a few months back and got ford to remove them (how ever they did it) free of charge so who cares, anyway got me another set of genuine nuts and a spare for the key just incase i lost it again (i never had the old code written down anywhere so that didnt help me)
Good to see you have it sorted

Project: 2001 AU II Fairmont Silhouette | Optioned 17" Tickford wheels + Sports suspension | Tint

Weekender: 1989 NA II Fairlane - Rosewood | Standard (with functioning SLS!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware

Just remember gents, anyone can follow fashion, but it takes someone with real class and finesse to have Style.
TUF-640 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:11 AM   #17
Day-mow
rexnet

contemplating getting a 2nd a some point in time hey.

Old 13-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Likewise I have used the hammer and socket method when stuck - ridiculously easy.

I tend to view Tickford lock nuts as sacrificial items put there so the tyre fitters have someting to ***** up with their rattle guns - and to deter the honest theives............

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #19
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyd
- and to deter the honest theives............

Cheers

James
Never heard of an honest theif, for some reason I don't think those two word's go together,
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Genuine Tickford lock nut removerer

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
Day-mow
rexnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Never heard of an honest theif, for some reason I don't think those two word's go together,

lol. well said

Old 13-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #22
BuckTooth
Feel the boost

Well there is an easier way for all. Not sure where or how ya get them, but I have a set of NRMA supplied (i'm a mechanical tradie) lock nut removers. They are basically like a tube with threads that lock on to the nut, kinda the way an easy out does. If ya get the gist of it, very easy to remove the nuts and no damage to anything.
Old 16-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #23
urbancowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckTooth
Well there is an easier way for all. Not sure where or how ya get them, but I have a set of NRMA supplied (i'm a mechanical tradie) lock nut removers. They are basically like a tube with threads that lock on to the nut, kinda the way an easy out does. If ya get the gist of it, very easy to remove the nuts and no damage to anything.
I'd be interested to see such a tool, just curious!
****el's drive Rotaries, Four in-line is a waste of time, Six in-a-row just won't go, If you really want something great, drive a great big Ford V8! God made Holden's to keep w*****'s out of Ford's, and yes I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Holden!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #24
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy
I'd be interested to see such a tool, just curious!
Very easy to make one your self, piece of pipe left hand thread and weld a nut on the other end. Nothing is safe if someone really wants or they'll damage the hell out of it and its no good to anyone.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 02:09 PM   #25
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: broke my lock nut adapter. help

reviving an old thread. I have stripped my lock nut key. bad thing is they sit inside the wheel and can not put a socket over them to remove that way. Try'd welding the key to the nut but restricted as very tight area but kept snapping the welds as couldnt get much on, now ive burned off some of the chrome around the hole. Think the only way im getting it off is to remove the whole hub with the wheel on and drill out the stud from the inside. any one think of a different way. its on there tight. not happy Jan
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #26
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8 View Post
reviving an old thread. I have stripped my lock nut key. bad thing is they sit inside the wheel and can not put a socket over them to remove that way. Try'd welding the key to the nut but restricted as very tight area but kept snapping the welds as couldnt get much on, now ive burned off some of the chrome around the hole. Think the only way im getting it off is to remove the whole hub with the wheel on and drill out the stud from the inside. any one think of a different way. its on there tight. not happy Jan
So its one where the key goes around the nut not in the centre? If its an outside style take a photo and ask a tyre shop, theyre notorious for 'forgetting' to return peoples lock nut keys. That happened to a girlfriend of mine, but her locknuts were the insert style, so that was simple. A chisel and a big hammer to belt it in, then a big set of multugrips to crack the nut and it spun it out by hand.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #27
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The deep thinwall extractor sockets fit most situations.

An impact driver helps, also leave all other nuts on and fully tight.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 02:51 PM   #28
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11487631 Though most of the links no longer work and the the irwin Bolt-Grip Link should now be: https://www.amazon.com.au/Irwin-Tool.../dp/B000QW6K8I and https://www.amazon.com.au/Tools-BOLT...id=2S0WG0RTYJ5 and https://www.amazon.com.au/IRWIN-HANS...t%2C388&sr=1-5 the ebay links https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/39370958...UAAOSwoblhl58~ and https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40332439...oAAOSwZdthpEca The Supercheap link in my post there still works. While Bunnings don't list them on their website anymore some stores still seem to carry stock in there tool section and in any event as Irwin retailers they can get them in for you as a special order: any of these https://www.irwin.com/tools/trades/m...olt-extractors including https://www.irwin.com/tools/screw-bo...-specialty-set

Last edited by aussiblue; 06-12-2021 at 03:07 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #29
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So its one where the key goes around the nut not in the centre? If its an outside style take a photo and ask a tyre shop, theyre notorious for 'forgetting' to return peoples lock nut keys. That happened to a girlfriend of mine, but her locknuts were the insert style, so that was simple. A chisel and a big hammer to belt it in, then a big set of multugrips to crack the nut and it spun it out by hand.
No the pattern is in the middle not the outside of the locknut and the pattern has worn to the extent that it just slips and wont grab to undo.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #30
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

once i figure out how to post a pic i will put a couple up so you can see what im dealing with lol. wont be till the morning as just about to head to work