Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2022, 08:47 PM   #1
aaron11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Battery charging

Hi😁
New battery when flat a year later .
Car was sitting there for 2 weeks is this normal.
I have 2 alarms.

Also my charger is only 2.5 volt and after 28 hours it was still charging ???
aaron11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2022, 09:25 PM   #2
Scruba
15+ Years!

Default Re: Battery charging

Suspect some drain somewhere. Get a ctek trickle charger and leave it on when not in use. Being a drain may be present maybe need an auto leky to check it out to confirm what is causing the drain.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Scruba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #3
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron11 View Post
Hi😁
New battery when flat a year later .
Car was sitting there for 2 weeks is this normal.
I have 2 alarms.

Also my charger is only 2.5 volt and after 28 hours it was still charging ???
Over a period of time a battery will discharge sitting on the shelf, even without being connected to anything.
This is the reason it's possible to buy a brand new battery & it isn't fully charged.
Once you install a battery in a modern vehicle the battery will discharge because it is powering the electronics.
Consequently, if you are driving your vehicle infrequently, or only travelling short distances the alternator will not be able to recharge the battery.
The solution to this situation is to recharge your battery periodically, perhaps as often as every two weeks to keep it in optimum condition.
Two conditions that are guaranteed to shorten the battery lifespan are undercharging or overcharging.
A quality 'smartcharger' that you can leave connected indefinitely is the solution.

You mentioned your charger is only 2.5 volt.
I think you may of meant 2.5 amps, which will charge a standard sized battery.
Obviously a 2.5 amp charger will not recharge a battery as fast as a 10 amp charger & a 10 amp charger won't charge a battery as fast as a 25 amp charger.
Generally a battery will recharge over a 24 hour period.
If your battery has been on charge for 28 hours, the battery may be defective.
Or perhaps your charger is defective.
A battery, charging & starting systems test will determine if the battery is defective or not.

What type of charger are you using?
How do you know if the battery is fully charged or not?
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2022, 10:10 PM   #4
aaron11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scruba View Post
Suspect some drain somewhere. Get a ctek trickle charger and leave it on when not in use. Being a drain may be present maybe need an auto leky to check it out to confirm what is causing the drain.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Hi Buddy I have the car for 16 years and the battery always has gone flat after 2 weeks.
It has been checked and there was no issues. So I don't know I charged it up and it is fine now, I mean the car doesnt get used at all prob once a fornight
Old 21-01-2022, 10:21 PM   #5
aaron11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
Over a period of time a battery will discharge sitting on the shelf, even without being connected to anything.
This is the reason it's possible to buy a brand new battery & it isn't fully charged.
Once you install a battery in a modern vehicle the battery will discharge because it is powering the electronics.
Consequently, if you are driving your vehicle infrequently, or only travelling short distances the alternator will not be able to recharge the battery.
The solution to this situation is to recharge your battery periodically, perhaps as often as every two weeks to keep it in optimum condition.
Two conditions that are guaranteed to shorten the battery lifespan are undercharging or overcharging.
A quality 'smartcharger' that you can leave connected indefinitely is the solution.

You mentioned your charger is only 2.5 volt.
I think you may of meant 2.5 amps, which will charge a standard sized battery.
Obviously a 2.5 amp charger will not recharge a battery as fast as a 10 amp charger & a 10 amp charger won't charge a battery as fast as a 25 amp charger.
Generally a battery will recharge over a 24 hour period.
If your battery has been on charge for 28 hours, the battery may be defective.
Or perhaps your charger is defective.
A battery, charging & starting systems test will determine if the battery is defective or not.

What type of charger are you using?
How do you know if the battery is fully charged or not?
Hi the battery charger usually turns off when its done this time it took over 24 hours as it was dead as a dodo

It is ok now but the car sits for a week or two sometimes I try start it once a week.

https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/s...er/577071.html

My charger is like that but about 5 years old, thanks for the help, and the guy at supercheap said every 3 months to take it out and give it a good charge up,