Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #1
daddyduck
Starter Motor

Default Auto transmission

Hi to all. I have a 2001 au11 Fairmont with 80,516km on the clock now when cold it makes a thud from 1st to 2nd. It settles down once the tranny has warmed up but may do it sometimes in traffic at low speeds. I blew $250 on a service which did nothing for the problem so now I take off slow and wait for the car to go into second then accelerate. So is my transmission problem a common problem in AU's.
daddyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Auto transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyduck View Post
Hi to all. I have a 2001 au11 Fairmont with 80,516km on the clock now when cold it makes a thud from 1st to 2nd. It settles down once the tranny has warmed up but may do it sometimes in traffic at low speeds. I blew $250 on a service which did nothing for the problem so now I take off slow and wait for the car to go into second then accelerate. So is my transmission problem a common problem in AU's.
If ya go to the AU to BF Falcons thread below this one, you will see my thread about your issue, under slowsnake!....good luck.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #3
vapour_nudge
Starter Motor

Same thing was happening to me in my AUII ute with 590,000km on it.
I dropped the fluid and then the pan and then removed the valve body (really easy job - you just need a torx set).

As the car has done 590,000km I replaced all the solenoids including the pressure control solenoid. I put it all back together with a new filter and gasket (and extra magnets) and filled it with new fluid until the fluid started running out of the filler.

My clunk is now gone - and I didn't rebuild the transmission even though it has high kms (same as the engine). I took photos if you're interested
vapour_nudge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2022, 04:51 PM   #4
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Photos are always welcome
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2022, 07:40 PM   #5
vapour_nudge
Starter Motor

I have uploaded some attachments, one is just the transmission with the pan and filter removed

I have another with the valve body underside facing up on the bench. In this one I highlighted the pressure control solenoid in red. The other solenoids are highlighted in green.

There are quite a few bolts that hold the valve body to the base of the transmission. Most of them are short and only a few are long. Just make a note of it as you remove each one. They all use torx heads. You can see this in the photo "filter_removed".

We used a scewer to flick the electrical connector clips off the solenoids without breaking them. To remove the solenoid, there is just one screw holding each one in. Make sure you take a photo of the positioning of the solenoids before you remove them which makes it easy to re-install them without the worry of them binding on anything later

I also provided a photo of the valve body from the top where you can only see the pressure control solenoid

For interest's sake, I also provided a photo of the transmission with the valve body removed.

Lastly, after cleaning the pan, I installed two additional magnets which I highlighted in red. The green one is the original. I got these from Altronics

I bought the filter and gasket kits from REPCO.

I bought the solenoids from an Australian company which I found online. I can lookup their name again if you need it.

Remember to be very clean with everything and take lots of photos just in case you need to refer back to them. I did this work in a pit with my brother. Another pair of hands makes the work quicker but I could have done it on my own. Much easier to have someone along when you are pouring the fluid back in
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filter_removed.jpg (134.0 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg valve_body_bottom.jpg (116.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg valve_body_top.jpg (141.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid_positions.jpg (58.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg transmission_with_valve_body_removed.jpg (118.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Magnets.jpg (75.0 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Uncle_Ken; 10-01-2022 at 03:48 PM.
vapour_nudge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-02-2022, 07:09 PM   #6
daddyduck
Starter Motor

Hi I think the part I need for my auto trans is a S5 solenoid as the thud between 1st and 2nd is bad so if I could get from you the company you bought through I would be grateful.
daddyduck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post