Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 14-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
Phil B
Clevo power!

Default Phil B's XB coupe

So I've bought a coupe!
And I figured I should make my own thread instead of hijacking bits and pieces of threads all over!

There's probably the best pic I have so far, been driving it too much to take many photos!

A quick history. I'm from country Vic and saw a few coupes years ago and loved them, and wanted one. Now I'm only 22 and I have one (yes I am on my full license, got in before all that extra rubbish)! Probably one of the younger coupe owners but meh, I had the chance and wasn't going to let it slip, it was now or probably never and I plan to hang onto it and enjoy it.

This coupe was a standard coupe, but was optioned with all the GS options except the stripes apparently. It was originally banana blush but thankfully its now red with blackouts which is vastly better!

It has its original 302 Windsor and single rail gearbox which both work well and I definitely will keep it manual, I like it that way and it's not that bad to drive.

I bought this from falconator in Brisbane, so I flew up with my girlfriends dad at short notice and drove the coupe all the way back to Kerang in north Vic. I must say I had never sat in a coupe, let alone driven one until after I actually bought the coupe! So my first experience was driving at night through Brisbane, which was quite nerve wracking I much say but we didn't have any problems. And for the record, no I didn't stall it at all!

We had perfect weather the whole way down and no problems, the coupe didn't use heaps of fuel either, did about 10L/100km down the highway, which is the same as my daily driver, an XH longreach ute.

Got it home to my parents place where it'll live while I get it fixed up. Didn't take dad long to stick out his hand for the keys! We went for a spin and he loved it! Brought back memories of when he had an XB wagon with a 302. Funny thing is my coupe has a top loader knob on it, his wagon had the top loader gearbox with a single rail knob!

My plan for now is to get it rego'd in Vic, so it'll need a few bits fixed up, then later this year I have to go away for a year so I'm going to get the paint fixed up then, and maybe a freshen up on the engine, and get twin exhausts for it. My friend is giving me his old stereo system to put in it eventually. I plan to keep it pretty much the same but just finish it all off, nothing to drastic to do but will take time.

For now though I need a new chrome outer door handle on the passengers side, and I might need the outer felt window seal on that side to, might be able to fix it though, not sure. But if anyone has one they would like to sell me then let me know.

Also the driving lights need wiring up, I have wires but don't know where to wire them up to so some help with that would be great.

Thanks guys, will keep you all posted on progress.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Phil B's XB coupe

Congrats on the car

PS: it is a 302 Cleveland not Windsor
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Congrats on the car

PS: it is a 302 Cleveland not Windsor
Really? Wow, there you go, I always thought they were Windsors.

As you can see I'm a total noob with coupes
But hey I learn by seeing and doing things, thats my excuse for getting one first then learning

Old 14-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Buy that stuff new,Phil.The drivers handle is a new replacement and you should be able to fix the trim,it is new.

QLD number plate....V8 COUPE !!! for sale,make a offer!

Last edited by falconator; 14-04-2012 at 02:50 PM.
falconator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The work he does and the quality for his age is inspiring. keeps me always looking at his thread and a lot of people seem to get a better understanding on how to do things and what can be saved by his photo full threads 

welcome to the club of young coupe owners i too am 22yrs old and this was my pride and joy same colour sceme
Coupes and More is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The work he does and the quality for his age is inspiring. keeps me always looking at his thread and a lot of people seem to get a better understanding on how to do things and what can be saved by his photo full threads 

you can also buy fatcory driving light wiring kits from fomoco new
Old 14-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupes and More
you can also buy fatcory driving light wiring kits from fomoco new
Does look like I might have that, 2 coils of wire in a packet with a wiring diagram. I just dont know where the physical connections are for it all.

Old 14-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Congrat's mate, it would have been good to do the road trip in your newly purchased coupe.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Take it to a auto elect,it had non factory spots on it when i got it.It was owned by a sparky!Its got the factory switch on the dash.

Old 14-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #10
Coupes and More
Formerly HAMFIST

i sugest ya just got to supacrap auto and buy some cheapy driving lights and steall all the wiring and stuff from them
Old 14-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #11
falconator
Regular Yobbo

What part of its already there,you do not understand,the spot wires are hanging down.

Old 14-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconator
What part of its already there,you do not understand,the spot wires are hanging down.
Yep I saw the wires off the back of the lights, and i found the 2 long pieces of wire but not sure where they hook into the other end. I didn't really get any time to look at it, and I wont get to look at it until next weekend so I cant look at it while talking about it now lol.

Oh and what is the switch for thats hanging down off the bottom of the dash below the choke?

Old 15-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B
Yep I saw the wires off the back of the lights, and i found the 2 long pieces of wire but not sure where they hook into the other end. I didn't really get any time to look at it, and I wont get to look at it until next weekend so I cant look at it while talking about it now lol.

Oh and what is the switch for thats hanging down off the bottom of the dash below the choke?
There just old switches,(non factory)that are probably disconected.It has no choke.Originally though,the v8s came out with automatic chokes,only the 6s had the knob on the dash.I think.

Last edited by falconator; 15-04-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 15-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
There just old switches,(non factory)that are probably disconected.It has no choke.Originally though,the v8s came out with automatic chokes,only the 6s had the knob on the dash.I think.
Ok cool, thanks. And yeah thats what I've heard too, the choke knob is still there though.

And your not the first to comment on my great park! It was fairly tight behind the park and there was no one else around so I thought stuff it! And yes I felt them build up muscle by the time I got home!

Old 14-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #15
Uncle Tone
Ploppy pants

Congrats!!

Now make with more pics!
Old 14-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tone
Congrats!!

Now make with more pics!
Heres a few till next weekend.

Proof we did the road trip.

Parks dish

Coupe eating a smart car at a servo

Old 15-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #17
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Well done Phil B, looks like a good solid unit you have there.

Welcome to Coupetopia, good times ahead!!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
falconator
Regular Yobbo

Top photo,you could have parked it straighter Phil,are you having trouble with the steering,it will build your arms up,you wont have to worry about the gym.

Old 15-04-2012, 11:57 AM   #19
falconator
Regular Yobbo

That knob aint factory.

Old 15-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
That knob aint factory.
Someone have a different carby in at some point? I think I'll leave the choke knob because its not in the way but take out that one off the bottom before I break it!

Old 15-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #21
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Well done, We all love Coupes on here ;-)
Old 18-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #22
Phil B
Clevo power!

I've been looking on ebay and found some repair manuals for the coupe, just wondering what you guys think of these, is it worth getting one or not?

Also looking at stuff for the boot, at the moment it's completely bare, I'm wondering if there should be some panels up the sides, something across the back of the rear seat in the boot side and a panel to cover the tail lights from the inside?

Also what about carpet wise in the back? I found one on ebay, are these ones off the net ok or am I better off to get something fitted?

Old 18-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #23
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've been looking on ebay and found some repair manuals for the coupe, just wondering what you guys think of these, is it worth getting one or not?

Also looking at stuff for the boot, at the moment it's completely bare, I'm wondering if there should be some panels up the sides, something across the back of the rear seat in the boot side and a panel to cover the tail lights from the inside?

Also what about carpet wise in the back? I found one on ebay, are these ones off the net ok or am I better off to get something fitted?
Hi Phil,

Congrats mate. More pictures please

Unsure about the manuals, but for your other questions.

In the boot, on both sides there should be two bits of masonite or fibro which blocks off the lower quarters behind the rear wheel wells. There were no panels 'on the sides' to stop anything from sliding outwards and making reverse dents on the rear quarters unfortunately. A lot of people 'box' their boot area in though to stop it from happening and for appeal.

From factory they had a rubber mat which fitted over everything including the spare wheel well (which also had a cover plate on it if it doesn't already). You can get repro rubber mats from GT Perf. or ebay. They cost a bit more than carpets and I haven't used one yet (or a carpet yet for that matter, so I'd be curious as well) so I can't vouch for how well they fit.

These are some repro side panels (just to give you an idea on what they were like).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALC...item5adc94ff83

and these are what they were fastened down with (pretty rough, but thats the way it was).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALC...item5adc875f68

And this is the boot mat offered by GT Ford Perf.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...item43a8920eed

There was also a very thin panel (thin enough to be classed as cardboard in my opinion, although it was something else..) that sat behind the rear seat which had a bit of fibreglass sound proofing on it.

Otherwise, there was nothing else to block off the 'inner boot' area behind the rear seat. When you look into the boot, you should see the two reinforcing brackets behind the rear seat. Again, lots of people have boxed the boot in and blocked that area off.

Just did a quick search.. GT Perf also sells the panel behind the seat. They call it a rear seat insulator panel:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rear-Seat...item43a8921145

Hope it helps.

Last edited by lilmattie; 18-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 10:49 PM   #24
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmattie
Hi Phil,

Congrats mate. More pictures please

Unsure about the manuals, but for your other questions.

In the boot, on both sides there should be two bits of masonite or fibro which blocks off the lower quarters behind the rear wheel wells. From factory they had a rubber mat which fitted over everything including the spare wheel well (which also had a cover plate on it if it doesn't already). You can get repro rubber mats from GT Perf. or ebay. They cost a bit more than carpets and I haven't used one yet (or a carpet yet for that matter, so I'd be curious as well) so I can't vouch for how well they fit.

These are some repro side panels (just to give you an idea on what they were like).
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALC...item5adc94ff83

and these are what they were fastened down with (pretty rough, but thats the way it was).

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALC...item5adc875f68

And this is the boot mat offered by GT Ford Perf.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Falc...item43a8920eed

There was also a very thin panel (thin enough to be classed as cardboard in my opinion, although it was something else..) that sat behind the rear seat which had a bit of fibreglass sound proofing on it but otherwise, there was nothing else to block off the 'inner boot' area behind the rear seat.

Just did a quick search.. GT Perf also sells the panel behind the seat. They call it a rear seat insulator panel:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rear-Seat...item43a8921145

Hope it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly
I saw! Congrats on the new PB.
Hi Phil and congrats on the car
The boot is fairly sparse but should have the following

There are two Masonite panels located both on the left and right hand sides just behind the wheel well

The spare wheel should be held in place with a large steel disk and secured with a knob that has a long pin on it which screws into a raised panel located in the center of the spare
There is an insulating panel which is installed by removing the back seat
This hides the seat springs and also is a sound insulator
The boot lock located inside the rear panel should have a plastic cover on it
The boot would have come from the factory with a rubber mat
These are expensive around $250.00 from memory So a carpet one is a cheap and good alternative

There are no coveres for the tail light housings or wiring looms

There should be a small rubber tube with a slit on one side which slides onto one of the boot tension springs where they cross. This stops them from rattling when you are driving the car

Finally there is a jack operation instruction sticker that is located in the right hand side of the boot lid

The jack should also be in a vinyl bag

All of the above is available from places like gt ford performance and other repo parts sellers

I think this pretty much covers it

Hope this helps
Many thanks
Tony R

Last edited by neptune blue; 18-04-2012 at 10:55 PM.
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 12:52 AM   #25
Phil B
Clevo power!

Thanks guys. Pics will come on the weekend, I'm currently 4 hours away from it :( Patience old grasshoppers

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FALC...em 5adc94ff83
I did find those panels but thought they went vertical, I think I'd much rather go vertical to protect the panels like you mentioned, I'll see what itll be to fabricate something.

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rear-Seat...em 43a8921145
Yeah that's the bit i was after, I can see the seat springs and everything, though for that price I think I might see what i can do, maybe go a bit of thin ply or something for extra insulation. I don't mind seeing the diagonal bracing, just into the seats is not good.

Quote:
There are no coveres for the tail light housings or wiring looms
Do people sometimes cover this? Just thinking it would probably be good to protect the inside. I'll have more of a look this weekend to see if I'll bother doing something.

I do have a spare, with the steel disk, but it's not screwed down (it made a racket on the drive down!), should be fixable with some kind of long bolt? Just had a quick look on ebay, for that price i should be able to do something myself.

I do have the jack in the vinyl bag, haven't opened it yet though, will have a sticky on the weekend at that too.

Also about the carpet, I found this one which is much cheaper than the rubber and would also help kill some noise I'd think.

Old 19-04-2012, 01:17 AM   #26
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Knox carpets are the go Phil. They are good quality and great price.
Old 19-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #27
cob115
COUPE WHORE

congratulations of the find Phil b ,good to see some youger blokes enjoying there coupes

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #28
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Knox carpets are the go Phil. They are good quality and great price.
Ok thanks, found them on ebay, just want to check though, is it the same carpet for sedans as coupes?

While I'm thinking about carpet, anyone know where I could get some floor mats for the front with a ford logo or something cool in them? I just think it'd look good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
If you are looking to conceal the tail-light wiring get yourself a plastic panel that were fitted to ZH Fairlanes.
You will have to trim it around the lock bracket area to get it to fit neatly. A pair of tin snips & fine file is all you'll need. You can also drill two holes to secure it to the lower re-inforcements.

For the rear seat cover, 3mm MDF, foam carpet underlay & a can of satin black spray.
Any idea where to find that panel off the Fairlane? If not I think I should be easily able to make something up out of ply/MDF/sheet gal.
As for the rear seat cover, sounds like a good plan

I was told when checking lights that the front indicators are different colours from fading, I'll have a good look this weekend. Could that be a roadworthy no no? If so, are they just the same as the sedan ones?

Also peoples thoughts on front spoilers, do you like them or not? I'm thinking of getting one. Is there fitting problems? Any ones to avoid? Do you usually end up with gutter hitting problems? My coupe does sit a bit high anyway, not low low.

Another pic taken today by someone visiting to see it And it shows the ride height (and my dads big dog )

Old 20-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
lilmattie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok thanks, found them on ebay, just want to check though, is it the same carpet for sedans as coupes?

While I'm thinking about carpet, anyone know where I could get some floor mats for the front with a ford logo or something cool in them? I just think it'd look good

Any idea where to find that panel off the Fairlane? If not I think I should be easily able to make something up out of ply/MDF/sheet gal.
As for the rear seat cover, sounds like a good plan

I was told when checking lights that the front indicators are different colours from fading, I'll have a good look this weekend. Could that be a roadworthy no no? If so, are they just the same as the sedan ones?

Also peoples thoughts on front spoilers, do you like them or not? I'm thinking of getting one. Is there fitting problems? Any ones to avoid? Do you usually end up with gutter hitting problems? My coupe does sit a bit high anyway, not low low.

Another pic taken today by someone visiting to see it And it shows the ride height (and my dads big dog )
Car looks nice Starting to wish I had had a look at it.. tch - but then you'd be without!

Carpets... pretty sure they're different between sedan and coupe.

Landau's also had a rear inner taillight cover. Have a look at Geez Louise's (Coleen's) posts. Somewhere amongst them is where she boxed in her coupe boot. She also made the panel that you're talking about.

Front indicators are the same as sedans.

I dont mind front spoilers.. probably more a fan of the earlier mustang style than the xc style - (Like on Graham's car *Coupes and More* above) but that's just me. I would expect it to scrape a lot, even if your coupe isn't really low.

Last edited by lilmattie; 20-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
lilmattie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #30
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are looking to conceal the tail-light wiring get yourself a plastic panel that were fitted to ZH Fairlanes.
You will have to trim it around the lock bracket area to get it to fit neatly. A pair of tin snips & fine file is all you'll need. You can also drill two holes to secure it to the lower re-inforcements.

For the rear seat cover, 3mm MDF, foam carpet underlay & a can of satin black spray.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post