Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Qld flash for cash cameras

Here we go again in Queensland with a highly promoted television campaign via morning TV news telling us how the road toll is unacceptable and so Police are rolling out even more "speed cameras" as a pro-active approach in bringing down the road toll.

"Speeding" is a factor in about one third of road fatalities in Australia, and don't forget that a crash can be designated as "caused by speed" for having been just a few kms over the speed limit.

I just feel sorry for the police having to peddle this BS at the behest of inept politicians whose only interest is collecting more cash from what is now an embedded form of taxation, to finance their uncontrolled spending. (Like the billion dollars desalination plant at Tugun on the Gold Coast that's been in mothballs since being built and costs $1m per annum to maintain).

It's this kind of tripe being fed to us that is causing voters to turn away from mainstream parties and I for one can't wait to see the back of them.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
qdda5

Default Re: Qld flash for cash cameras

Maybe it will reduce the toll -who knows. One thing I do know is that you dont speed you dont get fined. Put em on every street corner for all I care. If im speeding fine me whatever. If im stupid enough to want to throw my money away who cares. But please dont complain abot cameras or where they are placed. You do the right thing you dont get caught. Simples....
Been caught plenty of times over the years and paid the price. I just suck it up and move on. However now I am in my 50s ticket accrual is far less than before.
Hopefully less deaths on the road this coming Christmas and new year. 1 is too many.
Cheers
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Just saw it in the news. Its now an unmanned camera. They tow a big yellow trailer and park it besides the high risk roads. It has a camera sticking out the top of the trailer and it sends the info back to headquarters.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

More and more cameras are being added all the time. If they truly saved lives wouldn't the road toll be going down?

Proves they don't do jack but fill govco coffers.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The sad thing is I do actually drive the speed limit,at the frustration of many drivers...unfortunately the cameras don't catch the idiots going off because you have the hide to drive the speed limit and hold them up for a few seconds on their far more important schedule. At least these things are highly visible (for now) so they will make people drive the limit,compared to a hidden camera where someone can drive thru at 200 kph,cause and accident or kill someone and all they get is a bill in the mail. Nothing better than real people policing and spotting the real law beakers in my book,but that's not good for business of gov co.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
superfly
Go the Hogster!

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...4af802e219d9e6
Old 23-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #7
Chopped
as in chopped

If you take population growth into account, then the road toll (as a percentage) is coming down.

It's a shame they don't have cameras that can detect morons, the major cause of accidents.
Old 23-12-2016, 02:37 PM   #8
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
More and more cameras are being added all the time. If they truly saved lives wouldn't the road toll be going down?

Proves they don't do jack but fill govco coffers.
So, logically then we could remove all cameras and the road toll would remain static?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 02:53 PM   #9
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=qdda5;5839440]Maybe it will reduce the toll -who knows. One thing I do know is that you dont speed you dont get fined. Put em on every street corner for all I care. If im speeding fine me whatever. If im stupid enough to want to throw my money away who cares. But please dont complain abot cameras or where they are placed. You do the right thing you dont get caught. Simples....
Been caught plenty of times over the years and paid the price. I just suck it up and move on. However now I am in my 50s ticket accrual is far less than before.
Hopefully less deaths on the road this coming Christmas and new year. 1 is too many.
Cheers[/QUOTE

Easier said than done!
Old 23-12-2016, 03:01 PM   #10
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Here we go again in Queensland with a highly promoted television campaign via morning TV news telling us how the road toll is unacceptable and so Police are rolling out even more "speed cameras" as a pro-active approach in bringing down the road toll.

"Speeding" is a factor in about one third of road fatalities in Australia, and don't forget that a crash can be designated as "caused by speed" for having been just a few kms over the speed limit.

I just feel sorry for the police having to peddle this BS at the behest of inept politicians whose only interest is collecting more cash from what is now an embedded form of taxation, to finance their uncontrolled spending. (Like the billion dollars desalination plant at Tugun on the Gold Coast that's been in mothballs since being built and costs $1m per annum to maintain).

It's this kind of tripe being fed to us that is causing voters to turn away from mainstream parties and I for one can't wait to see the back of them.
Victoria is on the hook for $1.5 million PER DAY for the Wonthaggi desalination plant... and that's if no water is taken.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
The sad thing is I do actually drive the speed limit,at the frustration of many drivers...unfortunately the cameras don't catch the idiots going off because you have the hide to drive the speed limit and hold them up for a few seconds on their far more important schedule. At least these things are highly visible (for now) so they will make people drive the limit,compared to a hidden camera where someone can drive thru at 200 kph,cause and accident or kill someone and all they get is a bill in the mail. Nothing better than real people policing and spotting the real law beakers in my book,but that's not good for business of gov co.
Whilst I agree about idiots, sometimes the people who drive 'under the limit' can be dangerous too.

Had a scary experience traveling from Newcastle to Sydney in the back seat with my mother and her husband.

He set his cruise control on 109kph, moved to the right lane and didn't move out of it all the way. Constantly berating the idiots who think they are so important he should move out of the way so they can speed.

Whole trip was cars tailgating us, flashing lights and blowing horns as they undertook. All of which just made him madder and more determined he was right and the 30 or 40 cars he made undertake him were all just idiots speeding.

I don't think I've ever felt more likely to be involved in accident than during that trip. Mum says he does the same every trip. Not sure how she takes it.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #12
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
Just saw it in the news. Its now an unmanned camera. They tow a big yellow trailer and park it besides the high risk roads. It has a camera sticking out the top of the trailer and it sends the info back to headquarters.
Just saw that they're using the trailers in spots where it's too dangerous to have police parked.

Funny how it's not too dangerous for some poor bloke to have to unload it and set it up there...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #13
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional View Post
Whilst I agree about idiots, sometimes the people who drive 'under the limit' can be dangerous too.

Had a scary experience traveling from Newcastle to Sydney in the back seat with my mother and her husband.

He set his cruise control on 109kph, moved to the right lane and didn't move out of it all the way. Constantly berating the idiots who think they are so important he should move out of the way so they can speed.

Whole trip was cars tailgating us, flashing lights and blowing horns as they undertook. All of which just made him madder and more determined he was right and the 30 or 40 cars he made undertake him were all just idiots speeding.

I don't think I've ever felt more likely to be involved in accident than during that trip. Mum says he does the same every trip. Not sure how she takes it.
Mate,absolutely agree. I see that all the time and I wouldn't do that stuff. Stay out of the way if at all possible and stick to the limit is my main aim. There's nothing worse than driving a single lane highway with a 110 limit and there's a dude at say 80 holding up a line of cars,get to the two lane overtaking section and they speed up to 110 so people can't get past,then back to the single lane and they slow back down to 80 wtf?? I drive between Gold Coast and Brisbane a lot,night road works are common,often 4 lanes being reduced to 1 and with a 40 limit. If you sit at 40 you'd get run down I reckon,40 means about 70 in theses cases. There's even cops there sometimes,I believe it's a bit of an overtime rort they are on or something. But if I sat at say 55 I'd get some dude up the backside tailgating or flashing lights for sure.Put a camera there and it would be a gold mine. I try to stick to the limits,but in some of these situations it's hard to keep out of the way,and keep all your points.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #14
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Victoria is on the hook for $1.5 million PER DAY for the Wonthaggi desalination plant... and that's if no water is taken.
Sydney has one too that sits idle at 500k per day on a 50 year lease deal.

Great rort. Biggest surprise is Sth Aussies haven't copied yet.
Old 23-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Mate,absolutely agree. I see that all the time and I wouldn't do that stuff. Stay out of the way if at all possible and stick to the limit is my main aim. There's nothing worse than driving a single lane highway with a 110 limit and there's a dude at say 80 holding up a line of cars,get to the two lane overtaking section and they speed up to 110 so people can't get past,then back to the single lane and they slow back down to 80 wtf?? I drive between Gold Coast and Brisbane a lot,night road works are common,often 4 lanes being reduced to 1 and with a 40 limit. If you sit at 40 you'd get run down I reckon,40 means about 70 in theses cases. There's even cops there sometimes,I believe it's a bit of an overtime rort they are on or something. But if I sat at say 55 I'd get some dude up the backside tailgating or flashing lights for sure.Put a camera there and it would be a gold mine. I try to stick to the limits,but in some of these situations it's hard to keep out of the way,and keep all your points.
The 40 zones when workers aren't there at all I think contributes to so many drivers zooming through at night. But know what you mean. It creates uncertainty about what is safest to do which makes the area less safe for everyone really.
Old 23-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

248 people have died on QLD roads..62 from speeding. .the only answer QPol have is more speed cameras!!! Why ? because that is the easiest to police!!! all the other causes aren't easy to Police...and the RACQ supports the roll out..Go to the RACQ FB page and read the flack the RACQ is copping from supporting the roll out!!!
Old 23-12-2016, 04:01 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
So, logically then we could remove all cameras and the road toll would remain static?
A number of years ago the late Bill Tucky made an interesting comment.
He said that if you took into account the increasing number of cars on the road every year the actual road toll has gone through the basement.

Back in the 80's (I think) a Melb newspaper ran a road safety campaign called "Declare war on 1034."
1034 was the number of fatalities the previous year. How does that stack up these days with the extra cars on the road now.
Old 23-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is not Speed that Kills, it is Morons.
Here is a bunch of Morons that have trouble seeing other vehicles on the road the size of trucks.
God help rest of us in smaller vehicles if a small % of the population can't even see trucks.
You could take 10km/h off all these people and it would still happen.
You can't legislate against idiots. It is blatant cash grabbing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIJFQWHepSA
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #19
.:4:.
Kicking back

My opinion on this one is that speed cameras or mobile speed cameras may slow people down when they are passing them, but having a marked police car in plain sight parked does a better job of making people not do stupid things. I drive through 9 fixed cameras on my trip to and from work every day, every other driver on the road knows where they are and quite a few will gas it between each one then slow down through them. I think it's a bit dumb that the mobile speed cameras in nsw have to put out 2 warning signs before where they park, again, enough warning to slow down. Copping a camera fine and losing some points isn't really (unless you have no points or money) a punishment, you pay it and move on. Getting pulled over and having to sit and wait and all the other inconveniences in my mind is a better way to make people not do it again. I personally have not been pulled over for speeding but I did get pulled up 12 years back for suspicion of driving a stolen vehicle and twice for drug searches, and untill they find your inocent, they aren't always the most polite
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 04:36 PM   #20
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like it when the cops at an accident sagely announce that "speed was a factor".
Of course it was a factor, any time that you go faster than you normally walk, you are going to get hurt if something goes wrong, like tripping on the uneven footpath while "power walking".
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #21
Warrenk

Pasted one of the new cameras today in a "high risk area". Cannot remember or heard of an accident happening in this area recently, although this a strech of road where not to many people obey the 80kph speed zone.
On thing I did notice was how easy it would be for some low life to hook up to the back of a vehicle and tow the camera away.

Warren
Old 23-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #22
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sydney has one too that sits idle at 500k per day on a 50 year lease deal.

Great rort. Biggest surprise is Sth Aussies haven't copied yet.
This may be a subject for another thread, but....
SA does have a desal sitting idling while we take water from the Murray, the river has plentiful supply at the moment.
The idle cost for desal is the price you pay for water security. Just as the sun comes up in the morning, there will be another 10 year drought and we will run out of river water, then we'll all have our pitch forks out demanding why the guvmint didn't do anything about it.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 23-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #23
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

One of you should have sat up front.
Way less scary

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #24
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

High range speeding, very expensive fine. Be similar money to a certain radar detector that can't be detected by police RDD's (at this point in time).

Worth the investment if you can hide it well enough.

Unless you're in WA, then it's legal strangely enough.

If you're a do gooder that never speeds and despises this idea, don't waste your breath responding to my post.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #25
The Monty
Just slidin'

While I know most wont care and are happy to keep bashing police but keep a few things in mind:
Police are the puppets in the middle for govco. Govco says more money, use more speed cameras, get more speeders well guess what, thats what police will do. They say crack down on mobile phones, they will.
Speeding is often targetted by police over other offences as its an easy to prove offence. Certificate from the camera calibrations, a photo of the car going through said camera, and a statement from police. Where as to prove someone is tired, or not concentrating to an evidential value of "beyond reasonable doubt" is impossible.
Police dont have quotas or get any extra for writing more tickets. Full stop, the end. Doesnt happen.
Cops sitting at roadworks is not an "overtime rort". Most safety procedures employed by road works etc include police in the safety plan as a detterent to speeders. Spending $1000 on a car and cop for a 12 hour overtime shift out of a $100 000 roadwork budget to get people to slow down and keep there workers safer is absolutely worth it.
Last thing, believe it or not, cops are humans. Normal people, with normal lives, that work as a cop. We arent dead inside, we dont live to book people but unfortunately traffic enforcement is part of the job. Again, govco says do it, it gets done.
Oh and just to touch on it, before people say "go and catch real criminals", there are many many different police roles, traffic is just one of them. If we had no road rules it would be like Thailand. And stuff that.
Old 23-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #26
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Nobody put a gun to a persons head and made them be a cop. What they deal with is their problem and they chose it. Don't agree or beleive in what that they have to police? Don't be a cop.

Just like camera operators. If nobody was there to operate them we wouldn't have them (but instead have unmanned ones that can hopefully be vandalised easier)

Subaru Outback '02
Old 23-12-2016, 09:37 PM   #27
The Monty
Just slidin'

Cool story. Not sure what you're on about but there you go.
Old 23-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #28
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
This may be a subject for another thread, but....
SA does have a desal sitting idling while we take water from the Murray, the river has plentiful supply at the moment.
The idle cost for desal is the price you pay for water security. Just as the sun comes up in the morning, there will be another 10 year drought and we will run out of river water, then we'll all have our pitch forks out demanding why the guvmint didn't do anything about it.
The idle cost wouldn't be anywhere near what it is if it wasn't for the insidious PPP funding model. But that's for another thread.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #29
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Monty ... I started this thread as a politician bashing thread. Some people take advantage to start cop bashing, but there you go.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:51 PM   #30
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Oops sorry i should agree with all posts like every other sheep on here.

Subaru Outback '02