Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-03-2008, 08:56 PM   #31
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearass
Agreed Paulie.

Just one question do your brakes grab suddenly when applying??
yeah they do grab a bit when cold and fade badly when hot, hopefully some better quality pads will help.

cheers
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #32
Reflux
Starter Motor

Paulie

thanks heaps for your driving impressions mate
nicely written!
Reflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #33
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
yeah they do grab a bit when cold and fade badly when hot, hopefully some better quality pads will help.

cheers
Don't have the XR5, but I have to agree with the above, the brakes in my TDCi Hatch also grab when cold, and sometimes pull to one side (not dramatically, but noticeable).
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 02:49 PM   #34
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I'm still looking for a replacement set of pads..... not finding though!! :(

I'm pretty sure all the Mondeos have the same spec brakes, Focus XR5 got the big brake upgrade and I spent a day in one before buying the Mondeo and the Focus brakes were very good, shame we didn't get those on the Mondeo. :(
Old 20-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #35
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Don't have the XR5, but I have to agree with the above, the brakes in my TDCi Hatch also grab when cold, and sometimes pull to one side (not dramatically, but noticeable).
Pulling to one side, yes. Mine too. Doesn't all ways do it. Plus I noticed the steering can be a little lively on bad roads. Not major, bit it does move a little.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #36
monkeyboy666

The test car I drove had very 'grabby' brakes - they were either full on or off, I was kind of concerned about them during the test drive but figured that if the one I got had the same probs they could be fixed under warranty, but so far my cars brakes are fine. Apart from the dust making the alloys really grubby as others have commented on...
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #37
red_xr4
Starter Motor

I haven't had a chance to drive a Mondeo XR5 yet, so I guess it is difficult to make a comment. I've only read a few reviews and the feedback has been generally positive. Motor Magazine gave it a harsh review, claiming it wasn't worthy to have an XR badge. As far as I'm aware, they said it should've been badged a Fairmont Ghia, because it has more luxury credentials than performance.

On the other hand, there's no denying (in my opinion anyway), that it's a good performance car (and great for a family). Needless to say it'd be quicker than my XR4, though I think it's extra weight means it overwhelmed by the Focus XR5.
red_xr4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #38
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_xr4
As far as I'm aware, they said it should've been badged a Fairmont Ghia, because it has more luxury credentials than performance.
Maybe they should have called it a G5E Turbo.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 01:39 PM   #39
micktorr2000
Starter Motor

I broght myself a red XR5 mondeo 2 weeks ago. I live in the country on some very rough roads. I've done over 2000 kms with nearly all of it at highway speeds (the joy of living in the sticks). I traded in the last model wrx (my06) for this car. Although it's not any were near the take off power of a rex, it certainly can hold it's own once moving. Not to mention that i don't get thrown out the seat when hitting large bumps. I also bypassed the foucs because it had no cruise.
micktorr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 09:57 PM   #40
DeKa

They do look fantastic don't they! Good point about performance cars not that long ago putting out about the same power as the XR5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by micktorr2000
I broght myself a red XR5 mondeo 2 weeks ago.
Bought is the past tense of "to buy," not brought
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #41
scribbly

Ah, a pedant reading the forums. Must drive you crazy!
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #42
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to drive a Mondeo XR5 yet, so I guess it is difficult to make a comment. I've only read a few reviews and the feedback has been generally positive. Motor Magazine gave it a harsh review, claiming it wasn't worthy to have an XR badge. As far as I'm aware, they said it should've been badged a Fairmont Ghia, because it has more luxury credentials than performance.

On the other hand, there's no denying (in my opinion anyway), that it's a good performance car (and great for a family). Needless to say it'd be quicker than my XR4, though I think it's extra weight means it overwhelmed by the Focus XR5.

jurnos are a very fickle bunch are they not? I give them the notice and respect they deserve than drive the car myself and make my own mind up about how well it suits my needs. rember it was only a few short years ago this same circus mob voted the nissan 200sx pcoty and while doing it they made all the excuses they could for its lack of actual performance. don't get me wrong they were a good car [I had one] but I just fiind it amusing when they bag the mondeo performance yet its quicker, smoother, better balanced, better equiped and miles safer than their crowned pcoty of only a few years ago. never forget the jurnos motto. "never let the truth get in the way of a good story"

we know how good the car is...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:58 AM   #43
Supersd2
Starter Motor

Default Modifications ???

Hi Guys,

I have an XR5 Mondeo and was considering putting a new bonnnet on it...similar to the new Falcon.
The car looks great as it is and am not sure what to do. What do you think?
Supersd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #44
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Motor Magazine gave it a harsh review, claiming it wasn't worthy to have an XR badge.
They are probably right, Mondeo is far too well engineered, built & reliable to wear an XR badge.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 PM   #45
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersd2
Hi Guys,

I have an XR5 Mondeo and was considering putting a new bonnnet on it...similar to the new Falcon.
The car looks great as it is and am not sure what to do. What do you think?
you what? :togo:
Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM   #46
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
you what? :togo:
I was left speechless but that pretty much sums it up, though, each to their own, it might look awesome, but personally i love the look of my mondeo and the bonnet is a splendid piece of pressed sheet metal
Old 08-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #47
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I agree, the bonnet looks fantastic on the current model. The whole appeal is its understated euro classiness. Ever seen a BMW 3 series or a Merc C-Classwith a new bonnet (that's not driven by a Singaporean Uni Student in Sydney)?

I rest my case.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #48
Supersd2
Starter Motor

Thanks for that. It was a passing thought that did not last long. I did however speak to a panel beater tthat could do the job and it is also not worth the cost. I also do agree with all of you the car looks awesome as it is. Thanks for honesty.
Supersd2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #49
El Sucio

When is this flash tune going to become available then?

One of the ford dealerships over here now is offering a power pack for the Fords Focus XR5. It consists of a freer flowing exhaust, cold air intake and a flash tune (Dream fin or Blue fin...something like that).

Anyway...when is this going to be available for the Mondeo XR5??????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike)
2014 Ford Ranger
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #50
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Bluefin is available for the mondeo XR5 now.

And its worth every penny I love it.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #51
bearass
FG XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Bluefin is available for the mondeo XR5 now.

And its worth every penny I love it.

How much cabbage and where do you purchase from???????
Old 26-04-2008, 07:40 PM   #52
TheColonel

http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/apps.php

Just under $1k landed
Old 27-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #53
El Sucio

Far out...it really transforms the car from 2'000rpm. A very useful torque increase as well.
Are those figures with standard exhaust & intake? I'm wondering if the local friendly dealership would be able to trace it like the BF Falcon.

Previous Rides:
KH Laser TX3
EF Futura (RIP)
EL XR6
AU2 XR6
BA XR8
BF XR8
BF Wagon (XR6 Lookalike)
2014 Ford Ranger
2000 AU XR8 with all the options boxes ticked (RIP)

G.M.H. - Get a Mechanic...Hurry!!
El Sucio is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 01:12 PM   #54
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

It has a "Flash Count" reset on the unit. Every time you reset it to the stock tune the flash counter returns to zero on the ECU.

So ford should never know, unless they flash the car themselves and keep a flash count record on file. Which I highly doubt.

And if anything does break, ford has to prove the edit caused the failure. AND then if they do, Bluefin give you a warranty to cover the costs. (Though not sure on the fine print)

As for the power, the torque increase is great.

1st gear feels only slightly better (I think 1st gear still retains a torque limiter), from second gear is really pulls like a train. A much better improvement from stock.

Also overtaking on the highway in 6th is also greatly improved, pulls effortlessly.
Old 27-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #55
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Is it really as easy as just plugging it in and pressing a few buttons?

That gives you quite a power increase, some claim to even decrease fuel comsumption, any evidence of that or have you been to busy with the right foot?

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #56
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Yes plug and play power

You buy the unit, download your stock tune to the handset. (30 mins)

Use the provided CD- Rom to upload your stock map to your computer and it sends it to Bluefin HQ. The stock map is then edited and sent back to you via internet labled as "bluefin map" which is then uploaded to your handset.

Bluefin HQ only take a max of 8 hrs to send you your new tune.

Connect your handset to your car, loads up and your ready to drive. (5 mins)

The bluefin map MAY now be provided pre-loaded on your handset (no need to send them your stock tune, like the focus XR5 method), I was the first in Oz to use it, so I had to send them my stock tune map, but now they have it, it may make it faster for you guys? Not sure.

Im averaging 9.8L/100. And thats on 98RON (must use 98+ with the tune, or 95 if desperate).

Thats been a mixture of heavy acceleration and cruising.

Its pretty much the same as stock, maybe a little richer. The ECU would still be learning though, so it may come down.

I'll keep you guys in the loop how it goes after a little bit longer, only been 1 week.
Old 27-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #57
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Australian distributer of Bluefin

"http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/index.php?osCsid=9358e206fd15a02f8e1ba3d46f7c54ac& manufacturers_id=55&osCsid=9358e206fd15a02f8e1ba3d 46f7c54ac"
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #58
TheColonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya
Australian distributer of Bluefin

"http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/index.php?osCsid=9358e206fd15a02f8e1ba3d46f7c54ac& manufacturers_id=55&osCsid=9358e206fd15a02f8e1ba3d 46f7c54ac"
It's a shame they don't have one for the Mondeo yet, and it'd also be a good $400 more than getting one from the UK
Old 27-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #59
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
It has a "Flash Count" reset on the unit. Every time you reset it to the stock tune the flash counter returns to zero on the ECU.

And if anything does break, ford has to prove the edit caused the failure. AND then if they do, Bluefin give you a warranty to cover the costs. (Though not sure on the fine print)

I don’t mean to pi5s on anybody parade here but I feel compelled to pass on my knowledge and experience re this when I see people making statements about what Ford can or can’t find in their ECU’s.

The Flash Count theory is just one part of the problem, the other is the VIN lock code that the Bluefin (and all the rest) use to identify the vehicle that the unit is mated to. This code is what Ford will be able to find if they look. The dealers do not have the full version software so they cannot find it, only the Factory software engineers have the ability to fully download everything from the ECU including the VIN lock code. If they download the data from your ECU than there is a chance they may find the code, if so your power train warrantee is G.A.W.N. gone, period! No ifs, buts or maybe's. In the event of this happening to you, you can expect a letter from Ford stating the reason for the warranty being rejected in these words…… PCM Modifications!
Contrary to popular belief Ford do not have to prove that the modifications to the ECU caused the problem, they simply will not discuss it, and if you really want to push it than you will have to sue them for the cost of repairs and I think we all know who will win that little war.
Now the likelihood of this ever going that far is highly remote but do not kid yourself the risk is very, very real. I guess the good thing is that these power increases are relatively minor so the chances of you doing any real damage is slight and I haven’t read anything about these modifications actually causing any major breakages. By comparison the Falcon Turbo 6 can be doubled in power with less than $4,000 and that level of increase does cause some very expensive breakages.

The real concern is if you are unlucky enough to have a fault in the engine that causes some major damage, as was the case in my experience; it’s only than that the software engineers may be called in to have a 'closer' look.

There are plenty of stories around about modified cars being repaired under warranty, but there just as many stories about the ones that have been rejected due to the modifications.

The lesson here is simple, if you play you must be ‘prepared’ to pay.

Good luck, enjoy you car.