Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > F6 Owners Club of Australia

Old 14-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Advice on buying BF Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Front brake discs/pads were worn. The car has 65000kms
Told you ;)
Old 14-10-2014, 02:28 PM   #32
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't doubt you haha.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #33
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR View Post
Yea as I understand it like dash said 300rwkw would be a good mark. Personally if I was going past 300rwkw I would have some money ready for the clutch.
Always have some money ready for a clutch cause 300 will probably come and go lol.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #34
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
I didn't doubt you haha.
Yea my car is just above minimums at 69000. . . Must have had nana drivers previously, or maybe they just never stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_XR View Post
Always have some money ready for a clutch cause 300 will probably come and go lol.
Indeed!
Old 15-10-2014, 06:24 PM   #35
XRQTR
TBA Customs

A standard car is in no way an indication of a better car, plenty of standard cars are thrashed and trashed trying to keep up with modded cars or they just don't have the money to do the mods. A clean car only means someone is super @n@l about dirt and appearance.

Always get any car inspected and look for books and/or receipts for maintenance.

However cars, like any piece of machinery, can break unexpectedly regardless of how well it's been looked after and cared for.

I'd rather buy a modified car any day of the week simply because it's often thousands of dollars cheaper than doing the particular mods, in fact quite often you can find then at little more than standard cars. But then my thinking is different to most, the way I see it is this, I'm going to do these mods anyway so why not save a few dollars now and enjoy it. When things inevitably go bang spend the money saved to build the bullet proof equipment I had planned to do anyway.

So, long term I'm still well ahead of the pack on budget simply because I bought a car for little more than standard price with most of what I want anyway, then spend the savings on finishing it to my personal spec that I may not have been able to otherwise.

Everyone has their own process of thinking and justifies their decisions in their own way, so basically as long as you can justify it to yourself, not the pack, then do what suits you best.

edit: forgot about auto editing of certain words
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #36
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason I bought a stock car is because all the other F6's that took my fancy had mods and didn't come with the original parts, which I'd need if they failed. You can also choose to revert it back to stock.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 15-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #37
FPV_Steve
Livin Life in the F6 Lane

Quote:
The only reason I bought a stock car is because all the other F6's that took my fancy had mods and didn't come with the original parts, which I'd need if they failed. You can also choose to revert it back to stock.
That's why I've kept all my original parts, for that security and flexibility

FPV_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #38
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_Steve View Post
That's why I've kept all my original parts, for that security and flexibility
Best idea with any car you do work on, even my original intake on my N/A is hiding around somewhere! Cheaper for me to put original parts on and sell the mods off separately! More money :P

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #39
Robos F6

Standard doesnt anyway mean not thrashed. I think a better indicator is ownership. If a car has had a one owner for a very long time even with mods would be a much better buy than a car that has been bounced from owner to owner to another and everyone having their bit of fun with it.
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #40
HULK_I6T
Banned

standard is a heaps better option. The car was engineered with strategies to protect from abuse.

But modded brings the car outside its engineering intent. So flogging a modded car would do far more damage and wear than flogging a standard car.

Also those that flog a car are unlikley to be happy with a standard car which will lead to mods. So for the standard car its also less likley to be thrashed..

In summary a stock car will less likley be thrashed and if thrashed can handle the punishment far better than a modded car.

Also people sell modded cars and take half the bits off to get a better price. So the tune will likley be out of whack as well..

The only benefit to buying modded is a more exciting car to begin with and for cheaper price but its laced with huge risk.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #41
T4ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oracle has spoken.
Built BTR 4k TCE stall
FG inlet and exhaust manifolds
T4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #42
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
standard is a heaps better option. The car was engineered with strategies to protect from abuse.

But modded brings the car outside its engineering intent. So flogging a modded car would do far more damage and wear than flogging a standard car.

Also those that flog a car are unlikley to be happy with a standard car which will lead to mods. So for the standard car its also less likley to be thrashed..

In summary a stock car will less likley be thrashed and if thrashed can handle the punishment far better than a modded car.

Also people sell modded cars and take half the bits off to get a better price. So the tune will likley be out of whack as well..

The only benefit to buying modded is a more exciting car to begin with and for cheaper price but its laced with huge risk.
I'd assume most people would flash it back to stock if they were to sell the car to you, especially if they are going to all that effort to remove said mods.

Also I'd still rather my modded xr6 than my girlfriends bog stock proton. I bought my N/A unmodded, well it had an exhaust and that was it, few months of owning diff needs replacing, oils probably hadn't been changed in 20k + brake discs needed machining...And this car was stock!

But now my car is modded and probably runs just as well as my girlfriends proton you know why i'd take mine? Well one she has a proton but two I look after my car, being the typical girl her car is a to b thats it, if I asked here today when her next service is she wouldn't have a clue.

So while I understand what you say Hulk its not just clear cut as modded is thrashed and stock is well looked after, I mod all my cars and look after them far better than most people I know, especially the girls.

Actually makes me laugh when I see a car for sale saying "female owner", I just wonder...

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
5 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #43
brennan.

Many aftermarket parts are manufactured to higher standards than factory so I can't see how a modded car will wear out faster when pushed. I would buy an f6 with adjustable suspension, CAI and stainless exhaust over a standard car, if the parts are a brand I recognize. But it all comes down to the test drive, runs good? drives good? no stupid noises? no dodgy looking body repairs? no fluids leaking? That's my basic check list and I've never bought a lemon.
Old 16-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #44
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only risk with a modded car would be if it has an unknown grenade tune in it otherwise you could save thousands. If v/s are done theres nearly a grand right there just for one mod. If you know who tuned it and car comes with receipts for the mods then all good.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2014, 04:42 PM   #45
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post
Many aftermarket parts are manufactured to higher standards than factory so I can't see how a modded car will wear out faster when pushed.
Sure the modded parts are likley to hold together but its the pressure they put on other standard parts. For instance leaving a 4 inch dump pipe on and returning tune to stock will hurt the car or if tune is left there but injectors returned to stock.. Even intake swap can upset the tune..

My experience is that modders try and pull the saleable parts off when its time to sell to maximise sales price. But some parts are not economic to remove, so they leave half the mods and not the other supporting mods, leaves the whole car out of whack especially tune.. Buying a modded car can be buying a higgeldy piggeldy, dogs breakfast riff raff of a car (with half supporting mods removed and half still on). Some people smile on day 1 when they buy modded but by day 2 its all sorrow and expense when the skeletons come out of the closet..

Buy stock, pay a bit more, rely on the factory tune strategy to protect the car if abused..
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #46
99AUXR
Brad

I brought a stock car, motor went pop. . .Your point?
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #47
brennan.

Quote:
Sure the modded parts are likley to hold together but its the pressure they put on other standard parts. For instance leaving a 4 inch dump pipe on and returning tune to stock will hurt the car or if tune is left there but injectors returned to stock.. Even intake swap can upset the tune..

My experience is that modders try and pull the saleable parts off when its time to sell to maximise sales price. But some parts are not economic to remove, so they leave half the mods and not the other supporting mods, leaves the whole car out of whack especially tune.. Buying a modded car can be buying a higgeldy piggeldy, dogs breakfast riff raff of a car (with half supporting mods removed and half still on). Some people smile on day 1 when they buy modded but by day 2 its all sorrow and expense when the skeletons come out of the closet..

Buy stock, pay a bit more, rely on the factory tune strategy to protect the car if abused..
My first Hulk flaming, wow I suddenly have the same opinion as him.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #48
XRQTR
TBA Customs

Quote:

Anyone that buys a half a$$ed car is asking for trouble in the first place, as for standard parts failing under stress/pressure well they'll be going BOOM anyway if you take a car out to beyond the equipments capabilities.

Your point is invalid as this is bound to happen whether they buy a car standard then mod it themselves or buy it modded.

As has been said in a previous post, more often than not owners of modded, but more so owners of highly modded, cars tend to 'over service' their cars and fix things before they might actually need it. A quick drive will usually tell you if something's NQR about a car, but anyone that buys a modded car without performing any kind of due diligence is asking for trouble.

It's safer to say that we agree to disagree, however in saying this I found it funny how you say that even though your car is modified you don't drive it hard.........why then is it modified and how is it possible that you are the only person that drives their car with kit gloves?? either you do drive it hard or you're lieing, or it's also possible that others drive their cars with care regardless of how modified they are.

It's all in the description I guess "I THRASH my car" or "I drive my car Spiritedly" ...........same thing.

Bottom line get it checked, regardless of what it is or what's been done/not done to it.
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #49
MattstaF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
I'd assume most people would flash it back to stock if they were to sell the car to you, especially if they are going to all that effort to remove said mods.

Also I'd still rather my modded xr6 than my girlfriends bog stock proton. I bought my N/A unmodded, well it had an exhaust and that was it, few months of owning diff needs replacing, oils probably hadn't been changed in 20k + brake discs needed machining...And this car was stock!

But now my car is modded and probably runs just as well as my girlfriends proton you know why i'd take mine? Well one she has a proton but two I look after my car, being the typical girl her car is a to b thats it, if I asked here today when her next service is she wouldn't have a clue.

So while I understand what you say Hulk its not just clear cut as modded is thrashed and stock is well looked after, I mod all my cars and look after them far better than most people I know, especially the girls.

Actually makes me laugh when I see a car for sale saying "female owner", I just wonder...

The way I see it, Who buys a high performance car and doesn't thrash it here and there? No One. Obviously if the car is modded then is could possibly be worn a little more than a standard one, but as long as the mods are done buy professionals it shouldn't be a real issue. However,I would rather buy a stock car and do the tune and modded parts done myself, at least i know the factory parts haven't been over stressed.

Last edited by MattstaF6; 06-02-2015 at 09:43 AM.
MattstaF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #50
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattstaF6 View Post
The way I see it, Who buys a high performance car and doesn't thrash it here and there? No One. Obviously if the car is modded then is could possibly be worn a little more than a standard one, but as long as the mods are done buy professionals it shouldn't be a real issue. However,I would rather buy a stock car and do the tune and modded parts done myself, at least i know the factory parts haven't been over stressed.
My mate owns an xr50 turbo and drives like a grandma. Me personally I don't see the point of buying a high performance car and not using it once in a while. But there are people who baby the crap out of them and they never really see much hard use.

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 07-02-2015, 02:08 AM   #51
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut0r View Post
My mate owns an xr50 turbo and drives like a grandma. Me personally I don't see the point of buying a high performance car and not using it once in a while. But there are people who baby the crap out of them and they never really see much hard use.
Honestly, there's nothing to really prove when you own a quick performance car, some people just like the idea of having all that power there if they need it. Just cruise a long and enjoy, I'm sure they give it squirts here and there - time and a place.

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2015, 10:09 PM   #52
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
Honestly, there's nothing to really prove when you own a quick performance car, some people just like the idea of having all that power there if they need it. Just cruise a long and enjoy, I'm sure they give it squirts here and there - time and a place.
I don't even think it has to be about something to prove, I like to give it a bit sometimes but I'm not going to spin it up at the lights to race someone. I like going fast.

Mods to Date
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
Old 18-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #53
NETH
GTT54

Hi guys look finding hard to post anything on here.. ive been a member for years I just wanted to pick your brains...
my mate has a 2011 F6 he has had issues with rpm fluttering at like 2.5rpm or really whenever coming onto boost .. on full boost fine.. he since called me saying the car temp was going hot.. after a check on the over flow bottle no coolant evident told him to pull off radiator hose result was oil and water milky sludge water.. mech said cylinder head then found the auto trans cooler F*$ked out.... replaced 2k later he still has the issues with this rpm flutter coming on boosts.. Car is 2011 F6 completely stock 42k on clock... just seeing if anyone has had any issues like this or has an answer for the poor sod.. ive told him to check for vacuum leaks all bolds tightened and spark plugs which he just replaced and he says its a little better.. I told him .. im no mech but having the auto trans cooler go at 40k can not be normal and could be thee gear box? but I wouldn't have a clue would appreciate any help out there at all would be very very thankful.. cheers guys..Neth
NETH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #54
99AUXR
Brad

These gearboxes do it all the time. . . .Most likely the mechatronics unit in the transmission has failed due to being exposed to water.
Old 22-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #55
MeLLy

I have one and you just have to be smart, a stock one lets you know that it's been looked after, so low kms, suspension is all intact and doesn't need replacing, diff bushes are intact.

Just ask a lot of questions and get it looked over if you're not mechanically minded

B**** with Boost
MeLLy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2015, 09:47 PM   #56
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLLy View Post
I have one and you just have to be smart, a stock one lets you know that it's been looked after, so low kms, suspension is all intact and doesn't need replacing, diff bushes are intact.

Just ask a lot of questions and get it looked over if you're not mechanically minded
Being stock and low kms aren't a measure of a cars condition or how it's been treated; especially in the context of now 10 year old vehicles.

Current
Previous