Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation $100 million Rolls-Royce recall

$100 million Rolls-Royce recall
DRIVE Joshua Dowling
April 25, 2012 - 2:04PM
Read laterComments 8

Almost every car sold in Australia over past 10 years gets called back for a safety fault.

Super-luxury brand Rolls-Royce is recalling almost every car sold in Australia over the past 10 years – with a combined value of close to $100 million – in one case because the brakes could fail, in another because the car could catch fire.

The recalls are a major embarrassment to the iconic brand, so paranoid about its image it once insisted its cars be covered if they are ever put on a tow truck, and banned owners from lifting the bonnet of a stranded car.

The recalls affect approximately 74 of the company's flagship Phantom sedan, coupe and convertible models sold between 2003 and 2009, and approximately 36 of its Ghost sedans sold between 2009 and 2011.

Advertisement: Story continues below

According to a bulletin issued overnight by Product Safety Recalls Australia, under the umbrella of the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission, the $645,000 Ghost is being recalled because: "If the turbo cooling pump cracks, the pump electronics may smoulder, possibly causing an engine compartment fire or a vehicle fire."

At the same time, the agency issued a notice that the Phantom range – each model priced between $1 million and $1.35 million – was being recalled. It said: "[Because of] the possibility of oil entering the brake booster, there may be a reduction in power braking assistance and an increased chance of an accident occurring."

Rolls-Royce says no incidents have been reported, nevertheless it has been told by authorities to carry out the repair work, which will be done at no cost to customers.

The Phantom recall sounds eerily similar to a recall issued for the BMW 7-Series in 2010. That vehicle shares many of its components with the Phantom (BMW bought Rolls-Royce in 1998).

But as yet there is no explanation for the 18-month delay in notifying Rolls-Royce customers of the similar problem.

The 24 April 2012 statement from the federal government’s recalls agency about the Phantom problem says: “Engine oil from the brake vacuum pump may enter the brake vacuum line, possibly allowing oil to enter the brake booster”.

The 4 October 2010 statement from the recalls agency about the BMW 7-Series problem says: “Engine oil from the brake vacuum pump may enter the brake vacuum line. In some cases, it is possible that after a period of time oil may enter the brake booster”.

Old 25-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Bundy2
Starter Motor

Default Re: $100 million Rolls-Royce recall

That will hurt them
Bundy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 03:14 PM   #3
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow. 100 cars in Australia...I'm sure Fox and the likes really care. Most people with obscene amounts of money just want it fixed with very little fuss, it's the mum 'n' dad's who are mortgaged to the hilt in their new FPV/HSV who carry on the most.
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Most people with a Roller will just go out and buy a brand new one...
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy2
That will hurt them

Doubt it, they'll fix 100 cars with minimal fuss.

Owner's will just get their personal Assistant to arrange for the car to get repaired while they just drive the S-Class Merc for a few days instead.

Shame the weather is cooler as it would have been nice to take the Convertible Bentley to the office while the Roller is in the shop.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Doubt it, they'll fix 100 cars with minimal fuss.

Owner's will just get their personal Assistant to arrange for the car to get repaired while they just drive the S-Class Merc for a few days instead.

Shame the weather is cooler as it would have been nice to take the Convertible Bentley to the office while the Roller is in the shop.
Exactly...hell half the owners will have to be reminded they even own that particular Rolls Royce in amongst all their Bentlys and S-Class's.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy2
That will hurt them
Well they could carry on and refuse to fix them, claim there is no problem and wait for the things to fail/catch fire.

Then put up with angry people on forums bagging out the company because the car failed.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberKnee
Exactly...hell half the owners will have to be reminded they even own that particular Rolls Royce in amongst all their Bentlys and S-Class's.
and Lambo's, Astons etc !!!!!
Old 25-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

notice these little sentence`s.

nevertheless it has been told by authorities to carry out the repair work, which will be done at no cost to customers.

But as yet there is no explanation for the 18-month delay in notifying Rolls-Royce customers of the similar problem.

just goes to prove even the revered marques have the issues the same as the cheaper mass produced ones.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
BadMax
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
notice these little sentence`s.
just goes to prove even the revered marques have the issues the same as the cheaper mass produced ones.
Show me a brand which is infallible...
Single hump hard lid.
XR8 Bonnet
Colour coded mirrors.
Tint.
Reverse camera.
K&N.
More down the track...
BadMax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

csv8 thanks for the heads up.......my regular driver is on leave at the moment, but i shall get the butler and the maid to drop them both in....ta

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

100 odd cars between 2003 and 2009... and yet the dealers had to keep up with costs of dealership premises and keep bills paid etc...

How much money do those guys make for every car if they kept in business only selling 100 cars??
Old 25-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Ooooh wow, Rolls Royce, $100 million combined value.... that's tiny as far as average recalls go, why make it the headline of the article? A normal month of Falcon/Territory sales is worth more than that.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
BHDOGS
Banned

Joshua dowlings best artice ever not a ford mention in site superb
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
100 odd cars between 2003 and 2009... and yet the dealers had to keep up with costs of dealership premises and keep bills paid etc...

How much money do those guys make for every car if they kept in business only selling 100 cars??
Hi. I think the RR term is "adequate", the same as the power ratings. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see they wheel out the old urban legend about RR's being "covered when towed" and "owners banned from opening the bonnet of broken down cars"...

Nice to see some things last...that old chestnut has been around since the old days. I saw a reasonably new (new shape anyway) RR on a low loader in Brisbane a while back.

The recall just goes to show no matter how much you pay, it's a mechanical device prone to faults...a very well put together and finely crafted one, but still doesn't exempt it from breakdowns or production faults...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991

They wouldn't be stand alone dealerships I don't think, and there's probably only 3 or 4 dealerships in the country anyway, in the big capitals. These dealerships usually always sell other luxury marques like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley etc.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They wouldn't be stand alone dealerships I don't think, and there's probably only 3 or 4 dealerships in the country anyway, in the big capitals. These dealerships usually always sell other luxury marques like Lamborghini, Ferrari, Bentley etc.
True, there's only 2 Rolls Dealers in Australia and the Melb one sells Astons as well plus the Trivett group I think sells 11 brands in total Australia-wide....and McLaren's only Aust. dealer, lol
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #19
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The turbo coolant pump is the same one thats on current Mini's - all have been recalled on them too. The brake booster hose is the same recall thats been applied to all mid 2000 BMW V8's.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMax
Show me a brand which is infallible...
hehe , have`nt come across one yet.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #21
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Well they could carry on and refuse to fix them, claim there is no problem and wait for the things to fail/catch fire.

Then put up with angry people on forums bagging out the company because the car failed.
Nah it wouldn't get bagged. It's not a ford.
Old 26-04-2012, 03:07 AM   #22
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:

Reminds me of the quote from Fight Club...

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
Reminds me of the quote from Fight Club...

"A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."
Which is exactly what Ford did with the Pinto in the 70's, when they went up in flames during a rear end collision. It worked out being cheaper to pay the lawsuits than to put a petrol tank guard on everyone built to stop the fuel tank splitting.
Old 28-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #24
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Which is exactly what Ford did with the Pinto in the 70's, when they went up in flames during a rear end collision. It worked out being cheaper to pay the lawsuits than to put a petrol tank guard on everyone built to stop the fuel tank splitting.
The barbecue that seats four.

I want a Pinto, I love the things. Pintos are Epic.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 12:46 AM   #25
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Really? Wow. I don't know if that Fight Club quote is a clever reference or not (probably because I only just found out about that Pinto issue), but that's a very disturbing fact!

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB
Really? Wow. I don't know if that Fight Club quote is a clever reference or not (probably because I only just found out about that Pinto issue), but that's a very disturbing fact!
Back in those days they all would have done the same thing, corporate responsibility wasn't thought much of. It all came down to the dollar.

I'm not 100% on this but I think things didn't change until Ralph Nader released his book, "Unsafe at any Speed", that put the blowtorch on manufacturers to change their ways and stop building unsafe cars and not bothering to fix them, to just pay the lawsuits if anyone died or was injured as a result.
Old 28-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
donizgood
donkey22

over rated peice of junk
donizgood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #28
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by donizgood
over rated peice of junk
What, the Rolls Royce or the Pinto?
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2012, 09:18 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donizgood
over rated peice of junk

Quality posting sir, well done!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2012, 12:40 PM   #30
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh, Oh....I hope RR aren't building their vehicles to the same standards as their Trent aircraft engines. RR paid $100 million to Qantas as compensation due to the mid-air explosion of one their Trent engines and the subsequent loss to QF.

The engine faulire too was caused by a cracked oil pipe......