Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-02-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mondeo XR5 Review

G'day Guys!

I recently lent my car to Matt from car advice for a road test! For some reason Ford wont supply them cars! Anyway for those interested you can find the review here
http://www.caradvice.com.au/10062/20...eo-xr5-review/

Cheers
Andrew

PS. The TDCi review will be posted next week!

phoonfan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
chief
FTF Club Moderator

That is a fantastic review.

Nice car by the way.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Great review - have been waiting for car advice to post one. Looking forward to the TDCi review next week.

Thanks for providing them with a car!
Old 20-02-2008, 01:35 AM   #4
64ORD
1964 Thunderbird

Read that review today. It was a beauty. Andrew, your Panther black XR5 is awesome!

Cheers Johnny
64ORD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoonfan
G'day Guys!

I recently lent my car to Matt from car advice for a road test! For some reason Ford wont supply them cars! Anyway for those interested you can find the review here

Cheers
Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on your initiative, the review was top and from a one-eyed Mondeo owner richly deserved.

It would appear from my observation that the interest from buyers is with the TX5 and TDCi rather than, if you can believe the motoring press, FoA's initial estimate of Zetec 50% TX5 20% and TDCi 20%. Do you have any information on what the actual split is or is that confidential information?

Graeme
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Quote:
G'day Guys!

Cheers
Andrew

Wont supply them any cars, or just not Mondeo XR5? Mondeo supplies are ludicrously tight, so it's reasonable to expect that I suppose, especially when Car Advice is still basically an enthusiast blog rather than a 'proper' motoring website (whatever that means, of course).
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sweet Lord, the black Mondeo XR5T looks hot!

I noticed something... the exhaust tips... they're not dumped... did you get aftermarket exhausts?
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 07:29 PM   #8
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

If I wanted a car with an extra two doors man that would be it! It looks amazing in those photos and that's an excellent review (mainly I guess because it's a favourable one!)

Hope they're selling well for Ford though.

Dan
Old 20-02-2008, 09:41 PM   #9
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT046
Hi Andrew,

Congratulations on your initiative, the review was top and from a one-eyed Mondeo owner richly deserved.

It would appear from my observation that the interest from buyers is with the TX5 and TDCi rather than, if you can believe the motoring press, FoA's initial estimate of Zetec 50% TX5 20% and TDCi 20%. Do you have any information on what the actual split is or is that confidential information?

Graeme
Not confidential at all....dont have the actual figures, however we are selling plenty of TDCi's and usually there is a wait! (2-3months) Ford under called the demand for those! XR5's are moving but not flying out the door! I have 5 in stock and we are selling 2-3 a month, lack of bluetooth option on the cars Ford ordered is a problem on all models as well!
LX is very slow and we have only sold a couple! Zetec petrol ditto!
Got the Ford rep out tomorrow, will try to get some national fig's for you!

Meesta,
Ford "wont" supply them cars, neither will mazda, and they(Ford) do have press cars available! As for them being "just a blog" i think you will find thier reviews are not tainted by maintaining advertising revenue as some of the so called "proper" motoring web sites!

Ives,
first thing i did was change those poxy looking exhaust tips! (just the tips)
Still on the look out for a nice set of 19" wheels, and would love to shave an inch of the ride height! but very little around with correct offsets at the moment!

Cheers
Old 20-02-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
monkeyboy666

Fair review and a great looking car - I had the choice of TDCi or XR5 and went the TDCi route - looking at your car I'm kind of regretting that, (though getting 1000km out of a tank helps to heal the pain).

Just a question that I've asked before about Fords supplies - the dealers around where I live have sedans sitting unsold on the lot for months (even diesels..) while theres a waiting list for hatches. How were there figures on sedan vs hatch - were they out like they were with the zetec/TDCi/XR5 ratios?
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
Fair review and a great looking car - I had the choice of TDCi or XR5 and went the TDCi route - looking at your car I'm kind of regretting that, (though getting 1000km out of a tank helps to heal the pain).

Just a question that I've asked before about Fords supplies - the dealers around where I live have sedans sitting unsold on the lot for months (even diesels..) while theres a waiting list for hatches. How were there figures on sedan vs hatch - were they out like they were with the zetec/TDCi/XR5 ratios?

The hatches have been the pick, having said that it could be a tad skewed by the fact the LX model only comes in a sedan and there are a few of those around! The leather/bluetooth and colour mix was all wrong as well, most people are happy(well, put up with) a wait and get what they want! The order bank is quite strong for most dealers so you can expect to see quite a few more on the road over the next few months! The dealers have now taken over and are ordering thier own model/colour/option mix, 90% of what we have ordered is comming with bluetooth! Will sort itself out over the next 6 months or so!
Old 20-02-2008, 11:41 PM   #12
monkeyboy666

Thanks for clearing that up - I guess given that info I'll be seeing that sea grey LX sedan sitting in the local Ford dealers yard for quite a while then!...

(I've just been reading the comments on the Mondeo review. I always wondered where the audience went when Jerry Springer got taken off of channel 10... After reading some of those posts I now know - they have discovered the internet)

Last edited by monkeyboy666; 20-02-2008 at 11:52 PM.
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 07:01 PM   #13
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
first thing i did was change those poxy looking exhaust tips! (just the tips)
........which means of course that the next thing you need to do is change the ones on mine before I pick it up (likely early next week : )

BTW thanks for the drive Andrew, even SHMBO is asking when do I pick it up! and she is damn hard to impress!!!!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 09:13 PM   #14
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
........which means of course that the next thing you need to do is change the ones on mine before I pick it up (likely early next week : )

BTW thanks for the drive Andrew, even SHMBO is asking when do I pick it up! and she is damn hard to impress!!!!
Consider it done!
Old 22-02-2008, 03:01 AM   #15
Riker
Starter Motor

Great looking XR5 phoon.

I have recently become interested in the XR5 as a second car, but I am a little dissapointed with Ford for not giving us more options to select from.

The Mondeo XR5's direct rivals (new Mazda6 sport lux, Honda Accord Euro, VW Jetta/Passat etc) all give you the option or have as standard HID (xenon)headlights & auto. This is meant to be the top of the range car, give it more optional luxuries Ford, please. We know the auto can handle the power of the XR5 as it is used in the TDCi. Plus the XR5 whilst the sports alternative in the range is no menacing sport car that should be manual only. I am more than happy to drive the manual but it just so happens that the wife likes it too & would prefer an auto plus HID headlights that are available elsewhere.

Any idea if Ford will make available these things for the XR5 in the future?
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #16
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
The Mondeo XR5's direct rivals (new Mazda6 sport lux, Honda Accord Euro, VW Jetta/Passat etc) all give you the option or have as standard HID (xenon)headlights & auto.
I agree the Mondeo should have the xenon's available maybe even standard on the Ghia (there is not much doubt we will see this feature in future upgrades) but there is nothing in that list above that are 'direct rivals' to the XR5. They are luxury biased cars with a pseudo 'sports' badge, they rely on a wheel change or suspension tweak to allow the use of the 'sports' tag. In contrast the XR5 is a genuine performance model in the Mondeo's lineup so the automatic being N/A makes perfect sense to me. Good luck with the wife, I had a similar problem with mine but when we drove the car she confirmed that “she would be happy to drive it if need be” in contrast she flatly refused it even sit in the Focus XR5!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 05:21 PM   #17
scribbly

Quote:
The hatches have been the pick, having said that it could be a tad skewed by the fact the LX model only comes in a sedan and there are a few of those around! The leather/bluetooth and colour mix was all wrong as well, most people are happy(well, put up with) a wait and get what they want! The order bank is quite strong for most dealers so you can expect to see quite a few more on the road over the next few months! The dealers have now taken over and are ordering thier own model/colour/option mix, 90% of what we have ordered is comming with bluetooth! Will sort itself out over the next 6 months or so!
Hey phoon, what's the typical ship time between Belgium & Australia (VIC)?
I've been waiting since Nov 30 for my TDCi and the dealer told me it was out of the factory in late Jan.
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 PM   #18
phoonfan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
Hey phoon, what's the typical ship time between Belgium & Australia (VIC)?
I've been waiting since Nov 30 for my TDCi and the dealer told me it was out of the factory in late Jan.
It can vary a bit! Best thing is to ask you dealer for the sido number, let me know what it is and i'll look it up for you!
Old 04-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #19
scribbly

As it turns out he gave me an update this afternoon. It's due on dock 27March.
Now I have to wait at least 1 month more. :(
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post