Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 27-05-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Takata Airbag Recall

https://www.perthnow.com.au/lifestyl...-ng-b88848095z

Quote:
The ACCC on Sunday published a revised recall list which added a further 1.1 million vehicles targeted for future airbag replacement, including the Mercedes Benz C Class, Ford Mondeo and Toyota Yaris.
Also Ford Kuga and Escape https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...uga-and-escape
Old 27-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Takata Airbag Recall

Also https://www.productsafety.gov.au/rec...airbag-recalls
Old 28-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
In Vietnam at the moment and read this in yesterdays ABC online from my room and pleased to see my little Mondy missed out.

Ford

Ford Mondeo

2007-2009

8 October 2018

Nationwide

VIN list - Ford ( PDF 467.46 KB )

Driver side

Ford Mondeo

2014-2017

8 October 2018

Nationwide

VIN list - Ford ( PDF 467.46 KB )

Driver side

Interesting to see how my battery has held up after 4 weeks. Fingers crossed.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 01:35 PM   #4
scribbly

Have been to Ford Australia (non) customer service once and inquired to a Dealer twice now and the last inquiry was a bust. Even though my VIN is listed on the Takata Product Recall list, Ford in Newcastle’s response was “Ford has their own priority list and mine is at the bottom and that is why they’re not replacing it”. My son is just about to drive the Mondeo across the Nullarbor and even though Ford knew this, it was at the bottom of the priority list. I’m utterly disgusted and feel that Ford has reached a new low.
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Not so true...

That's a bad response from a dealer, this is what my dealer advised me..

The fact is that the parts for Mondeo are not available yet from the new supplier. That's why there is no Mondeo's getting done at the moment. As soon as enough parts are available Mondeo's will all be done at the same time as the rest of the vehicles. Its not about priority, its about parts supply. Remember this is a global recall so the amount of parts that have to be made and replaced is astronomical!

If Ford had the parts now, your Mondeo would be getting done.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2018, 02:52 PM   #6
scribbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Not so true...

That's a bad response from a dealer, this is what my dealer advised me..

The fact is that the parts for Mondeo are not available yet from the new supplier. That's why there is no Mondeo's getting done at the moment. As soon as enough parts are available Mondeo's will all be done at the same time as the rest of the vehicles. Its not about priority, its about parts supply. Remember this is a global recall so the amount of parts that have to be made and replaced is astronomical!

If Ford had the parts now, your Mondeo would be getting done.
Aha! If only this lot could have been truthful given your Dealer’s response. Thanks heaps.
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #7
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Just to update the thread the website to use for Australia is:

https://ismyairbagsafe.com.au/

My '09 MB Mondeo is affected and it links me to Ford and that says it's not affected but will be in the later 2018 recall.

If you don't have a My Ford owners account you can make one and update your details so you'll be notified. HERE!

Word of warning when making one don't be surprised if you don't get a code or email instantly, seems their IT department is as apt as their service department interactions.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
sailaway

This worked very well even with my new issued number plates...
https://ismyairbagsafe.com.au/

Old 04-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #9
asteele-xr6

My understanding is that the older the airbag is, then the less safe it becomes - so the priority is to replace the older ones first, and then ones that are being operated in a humid environment - and then the rest.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
sailaway

Watch the latest ad designed to warn drivers about Takata airbags

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-0...rbags/10065094

Old 05-08-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteele-xr6 View Post
My understanding is that the older the airbag is, then the less safe it becomes - so the priority is to replace the older ones first, and then ones that are being operated in a humid environment - and then the rest.
Yes true in a sense. Its only the Takata Alpha air bag that this applies to. There are no alpha air bags fitted to any Australian Ford built here or imported by Ford Australia.

But because of the fiasco, the government said that we don't trust Takata at all, so they are making every manufacturer replace every type of Takata air bag regardless it being the Alpha style or not. Econovan, Courier, early Ranger and Mondeo have the non alpha Takata air bag so that is why they are being replaced. I honestly think there is nothing wrong with the non alpha bags, but I guess the govt is being precautious. Poor production process of the alpha air bag back in the day allowed moisture to get into the propellant of the air bag inflator, as years went on the moisture corroded or reacted with the metal inside the inflator so in the event of an accident the corroded metal would also disintegrate and shrapnel would then hit the occupant. Unfortunately you would only find this out in an accident where the air bag deploys.

Takata was the biggest supplier of air bags back in the day globally, so to replace all those air bags is no small task. Were talking hundreds of millions of air bags across many manufacturers.

Takata has closed down and gone bankrupt unsurprisingly.

So you need to understand the complexities of the whole exercise. Target for manufacturers to have it all done by is end 2020.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

We decided to become a one car family and so the MA got cleaned up and advertised.

Because I wanted to do the right thing by any new owner I contacted both my Ford Dealer and Ford Customer Service and quoted the two vehicle VINs to them. Their answer was, in both cases:

"there is no need for airbag replacement on either vehicle as the bags originally fitted are not subject to being faulty. When the cars are next serviced at a Ford Dealer a "field Service" sticker will be applied and that is the only action required.

As it happens the blue car got inspected by a potential buyer who asked about the air bag problem. I related the information I had been told and invited him to contact Ford Customer Service to get the information independently of me.

The PB was very pleased with the car, made an acceptable offer, and drove the car away last Saturday.

Yesterday my wife (who is the registered owner) got a letter from Ford, the first sentence reads:

"Your vehicle’s front driver airbag is faulty and it could kill or seriously injure you and other people in your vehicle"

Ford Australia are really doing a grand job of damaging the brand in this country!!

A quite scathing letter is on it's way to Ford's CEO. I'm not holding my breath waiting for a reply.

And I feel duty bound to let the new owner know, which I have done - goodness knows what he might think about my honesty level.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #13
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

All the best AlanD!
Old 09-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #14
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will find that those words are stipulated to be in there by the ACCC as per the generic ad that's on TV. I would like to see what other manufacturers letters also state as it sounds like a law thing.

It also sounds like the dealer did not know what they were talking about as the Mondeo was always part of the recall, it was just released later as there were no parts to support it in the beginning.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:01 AM   #15
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You will find that those words are stipulated to be in there by the ACCC as per the generic ad that's on TV. I would like to see what other manufacturers letters also state as it sounds like a law thing.

It also sounds like the dealer did not know what they were talking about as the Mondeo was always part of the recall, it was just released later as there were no parts to support it in the beginning.
You may be correct so far as the ACCC requirement is concerned, but, if as you have stated elsewhere, the problem airbag was never fitted to Ford vehicles marketed in Australia then I think that a less confrontational statement or some follow up comment explaining the "why" of the need for airbag replacement would have been good.

And it wasn't just the Dealer. The same information was provided by Ford Customer Service which was "the air bag in your vehicle does not need replacement" when in fact replacement is mandated and evidently has been for some time. Somebody is telling fibs here.

Now I know about the supply problem and thus the need for a delay in effecting the repairs - but I wasn't aware of the mandated requirement - and this being the case why did Ford communicate to me quite incorrect information? I contacted the Dealer first and was surprised at about the answer I received, which is why I made a second call to FCS and got the same response.

I stand by my comment that Ford are damaging their brand by providing non factual information to owners.

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 10-10-2018, 06:26 PM   #16
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure how long ago you made enquiries before selling your vehicle, but originally when all this air bag issue came to arise with the Takata Alpha air bags (the one with known shrapnel issues) there was no Australian sold Ford vehicle fitted with them, just other manufacturers. Then the government decides it would mandate any vehicle fitted any Takata air bag by any manufacturer to be replaced. That's when the Courier/Ranger/Econovan/Mondeo's got added to the list. I do believe there is nothing actually wrong with the air bags fitted to these vehicles as they are not the alpha type, but the government wanted them changed regardless.

In saying that I have seen times where the CRC information has been incorrect for what ever reason. I think that Ford released the fact that Fords have been added to the recall back in March this year, and Mondeo coming on line late last month, so they might have got the information mixed up. It is also possible that your particular VIN does not actually need the air bag inflator replaced but still need it checked for confirmation as its certain vehicles built in the affected date range.

Great you let the next owner know, that's a good thing to do. Hopefully it all works out and maybe the timing of when the air bags originally did not require replacement to when the govt mandated all air bags be replaced that were made by Takata was the reason for the incorrect communication. But without the finer details, it would be hard to confirm.

Hoping that is the reason for the miscommunication, otherwise Ford would have to investigate your situation.

Anyhow. Hope it all works out in the end.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:10 PM   #17
Big_Red

Quote:
Yes true in a sense. Its only the Takata Alpha air bag that this applies to. There are no alpha air bags fitted to any Australian Ford built here or imported by Ford Australia.

But because of the fiasco, the government said that we don't trust Takata at all, so they are making every manufacturer replace every type of Takata air bag regardless it being the Alpha style or not. Econovan, Courier, early Ranger and Mondeo have the non alpha Takata air bag so that is why they are being replaced. I honestly think there is nothing wrong with the non alpha bags, but I guess the govt is being precautious. Poor production process of the alpha air bag back in the day allowed moisture to get into the propellant of the air bag inflator, as years went on the moisture corroded or reacted with the metal inside the inflator so in the event of an accident the corroded metal would also disintegrate and shrapnel would then hit the occupant. Unfortunately you would only find this out in an accident where the air bag deploys.

Takata was the biggest supplier of air bags back in the day globally, so to replace all those air bags is no small task. Were talking hundreds of millions of air bags across many manufacturers.

Takata has closed down and gone bankrupt unsurprisingly.

So you need to understand the complexities of the whole exercise. Target for manufacturers to have it all done by is end 2020.
This is exactly right. Ford airbags have been said to not be affected. ACCC said, we don't care do it anyway.
Big_Red is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 PM   #18
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the record.

Date MA advertised 15/09/2018

Date of call to Dealer and FCS 20/09/2018

Date new owner took delivery 06/10/2018

Date letter received from FOMOCO 08/10/2018

If the letter had arrived on the Friday (05/10/2018) I would have contacted the new owner and discussed delaying pick up until after the car had had the air bag work done - which would not have been a problem as I had undertaken to have the 105000 km service completed prior to handover.

So from our point of view we have been badly affected by Ford's mismanagement in regard to this recall since one arm of the Company (Customer Service) is providing quite improper advice to customers and another is actioning the ACCC requirement now that adequate stock of replacements are available.

Draw your own conclusions.

Cheers

MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Old 12-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #19
asteele-xr6

Hey, my MY16 Mondeo Titanium has just had is 45,000km service - and the airbag was replaced as part of a recall. I didn't have any notice from Ford, the dealer did it as part of the service.
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #20
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I emailed Customer Care last week inquiring about my own vehicle. No reply for a week but I did get a call yesterday afternoon. I were an uncomfortable call from the other end and after I identified myself and the vehicle I were simply told 'when would you like to make an appointment?'

She confirmed my nearest dealership she got hold of the service desk and handed me over to her to arrange a time. Her PC had issues and didn't respond to any input but we agreed to a slot and she's since emailed confirmation.

None of my concerns were addressed but I gather it's a, get them in and charge Ford for the work. I'm not fussed either way I just hope they don't stuff up any trim.
Old 19-10-2018, 12:08 AM   #21
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread. The recall in NZ is for the alpha airbags only.
Old 24-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
2ndMondeo
Starter Motor

They did mine on the last service. They said they just replace the steering wheel cover. They only told me that because after the service I noticed a part of the bumper was not clicked in as though they had taken it off and not put it back on properly (perhaps to do something with the sensor??). I had to return to get a new key fob they had ordered and they put the bumper right. Then I noticed a part of the bumper we now call the headlight washer cover was missing. Yes, there is a headlight washer mechanism under the little plastic covers under the headlights. They suggested I order a new one.
2011 Renault Megane RS250 Trophy
2007 MA Mondeo XR5
2ndMondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2018, 10:17 PM   #23
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I received an sms reminder about Fridays booking for the Airbag recall, I really don't think there's going to be another airbag fitted but will wait and see as to what is done/not done. I do live in the tropics and it is hot and humid so I don't care even if they fit a newer one or the current one is found to be okay at least it'll be checked.
Old 26-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #24
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Well that were a lovely event, nice people, were seen to as I walked up to the Service Apron. Handed the keys over at 8am just as they opened and were told it'll be ready by 10am. I didn't get back to them till 11.40 and as I were walking up the Apron again I see my vehicle idling forward entering the bay, thinking my god this is going to take ages so into the Service desk I go.

I see the gentleman I consulted with and he immediately says 'Oh there's been a bit of a hold up on your vehicle, I'll go and check to see where we're at'. I didn't mind knowing it's just rolled into the workshop and proceed to check out the Mustang GT, Everest, Ranger ect. So no more than what felt like 5mins pass I go sit down at the table thinking it'll be a while. But 2mins into that, literally, didn't even get a forum post in and the guy is walking up with the key and paperwork....'Hello it's done..you can pick it up'.

Walk over to the vehicle and he tells me the steering wheel has been replaced with new airbag module. Top stuff Trinity Ford. Feels weird to have a new steering wheel after having the perfectly fine yet shiny old one. The cruise control and audio button switches are the same, I see they cleaned it all down but happy to have some movement on the recall. After all it is hot and humid in the tropics even though I don't have an alpha bag. Oh had to reset 'auto windows' as the battery were disconnected as expected.

Old 26-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #25
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

For those interested:

What I thought were a different wheel design as I were told the new steering wheel is slightly different doesn't seem that much different at all really.

This user likes this post:
Old 26-10-2018, 08:33 PM   #26
Ryano

Yea, for those interested, all 07' to roughly 09' steering wheels will be replaced, rather than just an airbag replacement. steering wheel switches are apparently changed over from your current steering wheel!
Old 02-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #27
dan76n

Hi All,
We had our MB titanium airbag replaced today and found out on pickup that the streering wheel has also been replaced.
Problem with this is we really aren’t happy with the replacement steering wheel.
It seems the same as the replacement that Cobrin has posted above.
The Titanium wheel we had wasn’t as soft as this replacement.
The replacement also doesn’t feel like it’s leather.

Has anyone else had a titanium steering wheel replaced and if so did they get this replacement wheel?
dan76n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #28
ghia01
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76n View Post
Hi All,
We had our MB titanium airbag replaced today and found out on pickup that the streering wheel has also been replaced.
Problem with this is we really aren’t happy with the replacement steering wheel.
It seems the same as the replacement that Cobrin has posted above.
The Titanium wheel we had wasn’t as soft as this replacement.
The replacement also doesn’t feel like it’s leather.

Has anyone else had a titanium steering wheel replaced and if so did they get this replacement wheel?

It's definetly not leather. It looks like the same material used for the LX badge MA steering wheel.

I'm not happy, either!
ghia01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2019, 02:44 PM   #29
bazzaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan76n View Post
Hi All,
We have an MB Zetec that has (had) the leather steering wheel.

The replacement is definitely not leather. It looks like it's a synthetic material, the same as the LX wheel, as pointed out above. Not sure if anyone will listen to a complaint however.
bazzaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2019, 04:51 PM   #30
suttoo

Zetec should have a leather type with grey stitching. The only synthetic ones are in base model. There are 4 different types of wheels
Perforated leather with red stitching (XR5 I think)
Leather with grey stitching
Base model with cruise
Base model without cruise
1997 EL GT, #102, Manual, 27000kms.
2002 AU3 TS50 #114, Auto
suttoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post