Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #1
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Malaysian Airways Flight 370

Im surprised this saga hasn't made the pages here.
I know we have a number of members who work on Commercial airlines amongst us.

It really is a mystery when you look at all the information filtering through.

Something doesn't seem right to me.

Firstly, the transponder just went dead, this would normally suggest that it was a sudden event which took the plane out before anyone/thing could report a problem. The system on board these planes will automatically log any issues directly with the maintenance crew, nothing has been reported.
That would suggest an airframe failure or explosive device, but then at 35000ft there should have been plenty of evidence of the wreckage over a large area. This is yet to be discovered in an area of relatively shallow waters and calm conditions.

Another theory is that a slow decompression occurred causing the crew and passengers to pass out.
If the plane was on autopilot to hold its airspeed, altitude and direction then it could have flown on until it ran out of fuel, but this wouldn't explain the sudden loss of contact after 1-2 hrs as it had fuel for a 7hr trip and the sudden free fall would have been noted.

Then there are the phone calls to passengers which have rung out, that would suggest that the plane is on land either crashed or landed.

Now Malaysian authorities have claimed it was tracked flying low in the opposite direction and across the Malacca Straight.

The top NTSB investigators are baffled, the whole scenario surrounding the event suggests it is more than just a tragic accident on what is the worlds safest aircraft.

What do you guys think.

BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Re: Malaysian Airways Flight 370

You would think they could use GPS on the phones to help tracked them down. I was thinking terrorist, but no demands have been made after four days. Do you believe in UFOs?
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Latest news this morning suggests the pilots were not always doing what they were meant to.

When this first happened my initial thoughts were how the **** do you just lose something of that size?

Then terrorism was the next thought.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #4
iCat
doof doof doof doof

It was allegedly caught on military radar flying low, really low, at 500m. Surely that would have looked sus to anyone monitoring it?
Old 12-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope they find it and get the recorders.
FPVS3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Malaysian military radar reckons it was tracked as far west as the Strait of Malacca. Well, according to press reports this morning anyway.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah its a strange one. Turned off course and flew low in another direction sounds like a highjacking that never made it to its intended target,or has it?. Or some rogue pilot/s that went nuts. Has happened before. But those phones ringing out, sounds spooky.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Also the findings that 2 of the passengers had fake passports that boarded the plane has me

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
sixman

All very odd. Has to be someone who knows what they are doing to turn off transponders.
Rear tyres: Toyo R888 265-30-19
3.5inch custom exhaust with imitation stock tip, PW Stage 2 cooler (black), ID 1000, XCAL3, Plazmaman intake, Herrod Spark Booster
BorgWarner EFR 9174
Autotech 420rwkw
sixman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im a regular watcher of Air Crash Investigators and with all the little coincidences going on it doesn't fit into your stereotypical air disaster, if such thing exists.
The sudden disappearance, the reported change of direction prior, the recent military intelligence of low level off course flight path, the mobile phone calls, the passports and no of/identity of the travellers in question.
The reports that 20 passengers on board work for a company that makes a 'cloaking' device.

Over the years I have watched the hijackings in the middle east in the70's/ 80's, the inflight bombings, the mechanical and pilot error/action disasters and it just doesn't fit any mould.

The only thing it comes close to is 9/11 type scenarios where the plane may be used as a weapon, but when and where and what would be the agenda behind it.

If unfound it will become one of the greatest mysteries known to mankind considering the technology available today.

I guess the first question is, with the available fuel on board and the data collected by the Malaysian defence force, how far could it fly before it ran out of fuel/landed, if it has been hijacked.
What countries would harbor this type of criminal activity.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Too many questions and not enough answers, or far too many cover ups.

I read somewhere that black boxes still emit a signal days after the plane is gone/blown up/etc.

Is that true?

Last edited by TheSneakiness; 12-03-2014 at 01:01 PM.
TheSneakiness is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

That's just it with all of today's technology, that can pin point a mole on a fleas behind, a jumbo jet can just go missing? WTF
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post

I read somewhere that black boxes still emit a signal days after the plane is gone/blown up/etc.

Is that true?
Normally they should transmit a signal for around about a month.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe View Post
Too many questions and not enough answers, or far too many cover ups.

Is that true?
30 days apparently.

It is quite likely that it could be just a freak set of circumstances which have unfolded and the plane may be found. I believe it took a few months to find the Air france black boxes, but they knew where to look for them.

The fact that this plane appears to have travelled well off its original flight path doesn't help the narrowing down of a search area.

Either way, it is a terrible situation and I offer my condolences and thoughts to the passengers, crew and their families.
Whilst a good mystery is always intriguing and incites speculative conversation, lets not lose sight of the human element and associated grief experienced by those involved.
8 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixman View Post
All very odd. Has to be someone who knows what they are doing to turn off transponders.
As well as turning off the transponder they would have to log off the controller pilot datalink communications system. Is a satellite tracking system.
The military radar which followed the aircraft after that would be secondary radar which is the original form of radar showing a blip only, ie no digital info.

The "black boxes" are actually orange for better visibility for searchers.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #16
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
That's just it with all of today's technology, that can pin point a mole on a fleas behind, a jumbo jet can just go missing? WTF
Yes, there are GPS tracking systems to track cars in case they are stolen, and even turn the engine off when safe. But its surprising there is no such thing for commercial airliners in this day and age, to have similar systems so the airlines can track their aircraft at any time.

I bet after this they will make them mandatory.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #17
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post
It was allegedly caught on military radar flying low, really low, at 500m. Surely that would have looked sus to anyone monitoring it?
Absolutely!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Yes, there are GPS tracking systems to track cars in case they are stolen, and even turn the engine off when safe. But its surprising there is no such thing for commercial airliners in this day and age, to have similar systems so the airlines can track their aircraft at any time.

I bet after this they will make them mandatory.
b777 systems and engines are monitored all the time by airlines via satellite.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #19
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Either way, it is a terrible situation and I offer my condolences and thoughts to the passengers, crew and their families.
Whilst a good mystery is always intriguing and incites speculative conversation, lets not lose sight of the human element and associated grief experienced by those involved.
Spot on. I'd hate to be in the position of any of the rellies who had family on board.

And now all the conspiracy theorist nutjobs are coming out of the woodwork, concocting stupid theories about "military weapons testing". Please. Don't these people have something more constructive to do?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Its very hard to believe that with all the Tech in modern planes and the amount of monitoring air traffic has that nobody knows where this is, i hope this story doesn't get buried and forgotten by the media until it is resolved.

If that Phones are ringing, surely they can use some form a tracking as a last resort?
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Do you believe in UFOs?
Sorry, missed that bit.

Somewhat, I believe there are unexplained events which could be contributed to extra-terrestrial activity, but I don't believe for one minute that this is such a case.

Now, if you used the term False Flag....
Old 12-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I was tempted in starting a similar thread....

Been online searching for updates every time I'm free.... So many questions, and then the answers pose more questions....

News is released then retracted / corrected.

We are certainly NOT getting the full story. IMO. MA have been exposed as incompetant and there are rumours that they may not be allowed to Europe when this whole thing is finished.

2 stolen passports, then 4, then really 2. They looked Asian, then they didn't. It was trached for 2 hours, then 1. There was no communication, then there was.

How can something so big, worth so many tens of millions of dollars just, for lack of a better word vanish?????

Now the lates thing is that passengers phones are still ringing (perhaps via diversion??)...

While I don't agree with those 2 girls going public about the cockpit shenanagins that went on a few years ago (out of respect for their families) it raises SERIOUS questions about the way MA conducts itself as a carrier of passengers.

Not checking the list of stolen passports for passengers?? In this day and age of instant access to information and computerised EVERYTHING!!!!

Shocking.....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #23
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Would love to know how something so big can just vanish into thin air.

Something doesnt add up.

For the sake of the families chasing answers I hope they find it fast. But it seems like everyone is just as confused as each other.

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #24
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

What's this about 20 people on board working for a company who were working on a cloaking device????

Maybe they were testing it and low and behold it worked.

This is interesting.
Hadn't heard that bit.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Its very hard to believe that with all the Tech in modern planes and the amount of monitoring air traffic has that nobody knows where this is, i hope this story doesn't get buried and forgotten by the media until it is resolved.

If that Phones are ringing, surely they can use some form a tracking as a last resort?
If the aircraft is down over land (i.e. crashed on land) then the phones may not necessarily be destroyed; they will still ring just not be answered. If the plane went down over water the effect of the water will ruin any phone unless it is one of those ridiculously expensive waterproof phones and when run, will just go straight to voicemail I guess.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #26
FPVS3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you believe in UFOs?
No, not unless they have a VERY fancy method of travel. The nearest star to us (apart from the sun) is alpha centauri (aka proxima centauri), it is 4.2 light years away. At solar gravitational escape rocket velocity of 58741kph it would take 77540 years to get there and possibly any planets that happen to be there with dudes who could bring UFOs here.

So Han Solo (Harrison Ford [good name]) (Star Wars) was full of the proverbial when he was boasting his millennium falcon (also good name) could make 0.5 past light speed....it would take him 2.8 years just to get to the nearest star!!! The movie was over in about 2 hours. Am still waiting.

So, to answer your question......NO.......unless they have an interesting form of travel in order to get here and mess with airplanes.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #27
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
What's this about 20 people on board working for a company who were working on a cloaking device????

Maybe they were testing it and low and behold it worked.

This is interesting.
Hadn't heard that bit.
i hadn't heard this either. Anyone with any further info?
Old 12-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #28
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat View Post

That's false... The story was that it traveled about 500km at just over 10,000m altitude after the transponder stopped.

The military has denied that story.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
XWGT