Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #241
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Not sure mate. Is he a member of Adelaide Cyclists forum? I may have seen his name on there thats all.
Yeah im not actually sure, Hes my brother, Im sure he would still ride, He was in australian institute of cycling, I just thought you might have knew him thats all
Old 11-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #242
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Yeah im not actually sure, Hes my brother, Im sure he would still ride, He was in australian institute of cycling, I just thought you might have knew him thats all
Not a problem. I'll keep my eyes and ears out for him though. Cheers

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2011, 02:46 PM   #243
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocho
I'm doing Around the Bay 100k Sorrento - Melbourne (by myself) and the Eastlink 35k ride in November (with my Sister and Dad).

I thought about Melbourne - Frankston - Melbourne but I usually do something similar on the weekend anyway. Plus, I think Sorrento to Melbourne will be a bit more difficult.
I did the sorrento to melb last year while the wife did melb-altona-melb 50 klm, ended up with cars in the city and sorrento and we live in the middle so logistically it was a nightmare

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #244
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With those jersey's, the organised rides are a great spot to get them. I've got 3 Tour Down Under ones and 2 Amy's Rides ones. Soon to get one more of each

Shav, I've signed up for Amy's ride - the 65km route. Also signed up for the TDU 79km ride in January. Should be fun!
Going to have to get on the bike on weekends and start going for some 40 - 50km rides as training. Gotta start hill climb training to help tackle Mengler's Hill in the TDU.
I'm also riding in to work from my Mum's house a couple of times a week. 20kms each way, weather permitting. Has to be Mum's house as mine is 80+kms each way Maybe one day I might be stupid enough to tackle it one way...
Old 13-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #245
HLC
Audi S3

Couple of days late, but you can't go past a messenger/courier bag for carrying kit while riding!!
Old 13-10-2011, 09:20 AM   #246
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
I did the sorrento to melb last year while the wife did melb-altona-melb 50 klm, ended up with cars in the city and sorrento and we live in the middle so logistically it was a nightmare
Ahh, yeah, I'd imagine that would be... hahahaha.

I'm lucky, I'm getting dropped off and picked up at either end.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #247
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
With those jersey's, the organised rides are a great spot to get them. I've got 3 Tour Down Under ones and 2 Amy's Rides ones. Soon to get one more of each

Shav, I've signed up for Amy's ride - the 65km route. Also signed up for the TDU 79km ride in January. Should be fun!
Going to have to get on the bike on weekends and start going for some 40 - 50km rides as training. Gotta start hill climb training to help tackle Mengler's Hill in the TDU.
I'm also riding in to work from my Mum's house a couple of times a week. 20kms each way, weather permitting. Has to be Mum's house as mine is 80+kms each way Maybe one day I might be stupid enough to tackle it one way...
Hey Sam, I'll probably do just the 30km portion of Amy's ride. As its going to be my first time doing something like this, I dont want to bite off more than I can chew. I'll PM you my phone number so we can catch up at the finish line in the vale, if you want.

When is the closing date for the BUPA/TDU event?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #248
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'll PM you my phone number so we can catch up at the finish line in the vale, if you want.
Sounds good to me Shav.

Quote:
When is the closing date for the BUPA/TDU event?
6th of Jan: http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/geti...r/registration
Old 14-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #249
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Sounds good to me Shav.

6th of Jan: http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/geti...r/registration
Thanks mate. PM sent

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 19-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #250
TZENU
XY Driv3r

So, how did you guys go riding ATB????
Old 19-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #251
kocho
The Futuriser

I didn't do too bad. I did the Sorrento to Melbourne in 4 hours 44 minutes. First time I've gone over 60k's before in one hit. I was sort of aiming for 4 hours prior to the ride, but I'm happy to do it under 5.

One thing I'm not very good at yet is having huge amounts of confidence in the wind, so I took the downhills quite slowly (only had a max of 40km/h) and the westerly was a pain for most of the ride.

Hands still go numb too. That doesn't help the confidence in the wind either, but I stopped every 20k's or so just to give them a break. But, other than that, didn't feel too tired.

Did you do it TZENU? How did you go if so?

Old 19-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #252
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Sounds like you were gripping the bars for dear life kocho? lol. Hence the hand numbness. But good effort to do 60ks in that time frame. A good and steady pace.

A new event has just opened for March next year here in SA for anyone willing to participate. http://www.bikesa.asn.au/VeloAdelaide

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 19-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #253
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
I didn't do too bad. I did the Sorrento to Melbourne in 4 hours 44 minutes. First time I've gone over 60k's before in one hit. I was sort of aiming for 4 hours prior to the ride, but I'm happy to do it under 5.

One thing I'm not very good at yet is having huge amounts of confidence in the wind, so I took the downhills quite slowly (only had a max of 40km/h) and the westerly was a pain for most of the ride.

Hands still go numb too. That doesn't help the confidence in the wind either, but I stopped every 20k's or so just to give them a break. But, other than that, didn't feel too tired.

Did you do it TZENU? How did you go if so?

Good work mate!..Your confidence will always be on the increase the more time you spend on the saddle. I heard there were some shocking headwinds for the group doing the MQSM route...

I didn't do it.. I had a really bad experience 4 years ago travelling in a bunch sitting on 45k between Geelong and Queenscliff when a 2nd bunch overtook us only to have the leader of their bunch clip the leader of my bunch. Results were riders with broken bones and one of them ended up with a collapsed lung and broken ribs.. I was lucky as I was towards the end of the bunch as I had just finished my turn up at the front, but somehow managed to open up the webbing in my hand between my index finger and middle finger!! Took me half an hour to stop the bleeding. But after that I hit the wall big time and really struggled (adrenaline of the crash and the pain in my hand)....
Old 19-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #254
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A new event has just opened for March next year here in SA for anyone willing to participate. http://www.bikesa.asn.au/VeloAdelaide
That sounds like a great ride, but geez, look at the route map and the climb for the first ~15kms!

http://www.bikemap.net/route/1171927
Old 19-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #255
kocho
The Futuriser

Quote:
Sounds like you were gripping the bars for dear life kocho? lol. Hence the hand numbness. But good effort to do 60ks in that time frame. A good and steady pace.

I did a bit on the downhills blueoval but I'm still getting numb hands even when it's flat and I'm going for a easy ride. I want to improve my upper body strength and change my saddle position slightly. Just to correct you, I did 100k's but the max I had done before Sunday's ride was 60k's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Good work mate!..Your confidence will always be on the increase the more time you spend on the saddle. I heard there were some shocking headwinds for the group doing the MQSM route...

I didn't do it.. I had a really bad experience 4 years ago travelling in a bunch sitting on 45k between Geelong and Queenscliff when a 2nd bunch overtook us only to have the leader of their bunch clip the leader of my bunch. Results were riders with broken bones and one of them ended up with a collapsed lung and broken ribs.. I was lucky as I was towards the end of the bunch as I had just finished my turn up at the front, but somehow managed to open up the webbing in my hand between my index finger and middle finger!! Took me half an hour to stop the bleeding. But after that I hit the wall big time and really struggled (adrenaline of the crash and the pain in my hand)....
Thanks! Yeah, I agree. Completing the ride has given me more confidence in riding distances. I can't wait to go on the bike this weekend and punch out a good 50k ride. I hadn't done much / any hill climbing before Sunday so even though they werent huge climbs, I'm still happy I got through them unaffected.

Yep, I heard about the headwinds too. Mainly just by looking on forums and people said what their experiences were of the day. Especially on the Melbourne to Geelong road where it's really open and you have no protection from the wind.

It's a shame about your accident. I'm glad I havent experienced something like that... yet. I'd do my confidence no good as I'm sure it didn't do yours any good either. A few people have complained about accidents on ATB but from what I saw (probably 'cause I was mid pack), things weren't too bad - ie not ultra competitive and not first time cyclists.

Hopefully you go in it again one year because I think it's quite a good ride. Looking forward to next year with hopefully a bit more confidence in my own abilities.

Old 19-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #256
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
That sounds like a great ride, but geez, look at the route map and the climb for the first ~15kms!

http://www.bikemap.net/route/1171927
Yeah I thought that too Sam. But the remainder after that is pretty much down hill. Be a bit of a climb and will probably take most amateur people over an hour to reach the summit. I shall call it Alp D'Heysen

I take it as a challenge, depending on the fees to enter, I reckon I'll do it for the thrill.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 19-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #257
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I did a bit on the downhills blueoval but I'm still getting numb hands even when it's flat and I'm going for a easy ride. I want to improve my upper body strength and change my saddle position slightly. Just to correct you, I did 100k's but the max I had done before Sunday's ride was 60k's.
Very true mate, saddle position is everything and if something doesn't feel right, it's best to adjust it to suit. 100km you say, that is impressive then mate to do that in under 5 hours with breaks. I upgrade my previous statement from good, to amazing effort.

I was always told to do some upper body strengthening via some weights and the like. I find my arms are getting toned leaning forward on a standing climb holding my weight up. I know your not supposed to lean that far to some extent but I dont want to stress my lower back out.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-10-2011, 01:22 AM   #258
HLC
Audi S3

Any of you more experienced guys had ACL trouble before?? I've been getting a bit of light knee pain lately (big gear/fixed/brakeless will do that) but looking at some remedies, other than lower gear etc. I have an old steel roadie in mint condition (repco superlite), should I be putting some Kays on that instead to give the legs a break???
Old 20-10-2011, 10:56 AM   #259
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Maybe jump on the repco and do some light spin rides a couple times a week... I find the light spins are fantastic for recovery and let your muscles loosen up.

Not so much ACL, but I had ITB issues, but after getting a proper fit it went away.. Now I can go as hard as I want for as long as I want, but lack of fitness doesn't allow me too
Old 20-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #260
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Any of you more experienced guys had ACL trouble before?? I've been getting a bit of light knee pain lately (big gear/fixed/brakeless will do that) but looking at some remedies, other than lower gear etc. I have an old steel roadie in mint condition (repco superlite), should I be putting some Kays on that instead to give the legs a break???
Seat height, heavy gear and foot angle on the pedals will all contribute to knee pain when riding.

Go with the Repco until the knee pain goes away and then slowly reintroduce the fixie. As for the knee, it is most likely inflamed so perhaps try some Voltaren gel and/or anti-inflam tablets to help it on its way.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #261
Fled74
The Thread Killa

My wife and I were in the local paper (Brimbank Weekly) yesterday.

http://www.brimbankweekly.com.au/new...t/2326367.aspx

The piece was part of a longer article on the lack of bicycle paths and facilities in our area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 201020113535-sm.jpg (99.0 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 201020113534-sm.jpg (140.2 KB, 64 views)

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Last edited by Fled74; 20-10-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #262
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
My wife and I were in the local paper (Brimbank Weekly) yesterday.

http://www.brimbankweekly.com.au/new...t/2326367.aspx

The piece was part of a longer article on the lack of bicycle paths and facilities in our area.
looking pretty gangsta there mate.

But that article is valid. More cycling paths are needed not only for safety but to encourage more exercise.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 20-10-2011, 03:04 PM   #263
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Quote:
looking pretty gangsta there mate.

But that article is valid. More cycling paths are needed not only for safety but to encourage more exercise.
Haha, for some reason they didn't use the shots where we were smiling. They probably thought "unhappy" faces were better for the article's content.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #264
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Haha, for some reason they didn't use the shots where we were smiling. They probably thought "unhappy" faces were better for the article's content.
In light of the story, then yes that is possible.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 21-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #265
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
Maybe jump on the repco and do some light spin rides a couple times a week... I find the light spins are fantastic for recovery and let your muscles loosen up.

Not so much ACL, but I had ITB issues, but after getting a proper fit it went away.. Now I can go as hard as I want for as long as I want, but lack of fitness doesn't allow me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Seat height, heavy gear and foot angle on the pedals will all contribute to knee pain when riding.

Go with the Repco until the knee pain goes away and then slowly reintroduce the fixie. As for the knee, it is most likely inflamed so perhaps try some Voltaren gel and/or anti-inflam tablets to help it on its way.
Thanks for the advice guys. Did a punishing ride to Freo and back last week, 54km round trip in a headwind avg speed just on 30kph and got back and the left knee was bright red and swollen.

Will chuck some risers and my spds on the roadie on the weekend and give it a go. I don't like freewheeling I feel like I'm out of control lol been riding solely fixed for 18 months or more!!

I'm hoping to head down to a mates house and jump on his rollers too to have a look at my technique. Seat height is fine but would like to work on my pedal technique!!
Old 22-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #266
HLC
Audi S3

Bought another roadie today ha

Picked it up this arvo for $100

Long story short, I haven't had a proper look at it yet cause my mum is over and weve just gotten home (nepalese curry where have you been all my life) but:

2 MASSIVE dents in the TT. Like HUGE. And a dent in the drive side seatstay. All ive seen so far. Oh well.
Stickers claim that it is Reynolds 531 and a Hillman. Haven't looked for any telltale signs. I'll check with A local hillman expert.

Shimano 600 Brakes/brake levers/shifters/front der/cranks/headset and I'm guessing BB.
Campy fluted seatpost
Sakae stem that has been drilled out, champo mondial bars? Something like that anyway.
Rear der is some black plastic piece of ****.
Wheels have campy hubs with campy omega rims and skewers.

Bike is as light as my green pursuit but rough as guts. Will take it for a spin Sunday arvo after my old lady leaves and heads back to Sydney.

Old 22-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #267
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Here's mine
Very comfortable to ride , very fast , climbs hills like a mountain goat , it is a very very light bike so the handling can get a little twitchy sometimes.....

All carbon frame , carbon fork ( metal steerer ) , carbon bars and headstem and seat pole , mavic ksyrium SL wheels , Ultegra groupset , selle italia saddle.
Pedals are the dual platform Shimano PD A530. Michelin PRO RACE tyres.....and most importantly......GIRO ATMOS helmet for my noggin in case I kiss the bitumen !!!!

Fastest I have been on this bike is 70Klm/h on a medium downhill stretch with plenty of room for braking and no cornering..........man did I $%!* myself......

Currently riding 20 - 25 Klm stints when the weather allows ( mixed flat with uphill sections )

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2011, 09:44 PM   #268
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
Bought another roadie today ha

Picked it up this arvo for $100

Long story short, I haven't had a proper look at it yet cause my mum is over and weve just gotten home (nepalese curry where have you been all my life) but:

2 MASSIVE dents in the TT. Like HUGE. And a dent in the drive side seatstay. All ive seen so far. Oh well.
Stickers claim that it is Reynolds 531 and a Hillman. Haven't looked for any telltale signs. I'll check with A local hillman expert.

Shimano 600 Brakes/brake levers/shifters/front der/cranks/headset and I'm guessing BB.
Campy fluted seatpost
Sakae stem that has been drilled out, champo mondial bars? Something like that anyway.
Rear der is some black plastic piece of ****.
Wheels have campy hubs with campy omega rims and skewers.

Bike is as light as my green pursuit but rough as guts. Will take it for a spin Sunday arvo after my old lady leaves and heads back to Sydney.

From what I can see the paint is correct for a Hillman of that time period, exact same as my friends bike when he had one back then (I had a 653 Kerry Hopkins at the time). The rear drop out also looks right for a Reynolds frame, from what I can see anyway.
Old 22-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #269
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
Here's mine
Very comfortable to ride , very fast , climbs hills like a mountain goat , it is a very very light bike so the handling can get a little twitchy sometimes.....

All carbon frame , carbon fork ( metal steerer ) , carbon bars and headstem and seat pole , mavic ksyrium SL wheels , Ultegra groupset , selle italia saddle.
Pedals are the dual platform Shimano PD A530. Michelin PRO RACE tyres.....and most importantly......GIRO ATMOS helmet for my noggin in case I kiss the bitumen !!!!

Fastest I have been on this bike is 70Klm/h on a medium downhill stretch with plenty of room for braking and no cornering..........man did I $%!* myself......

Currently riding 20 - 25 Klm stints when the weather allows ( mixed flat with uphill sections )

Nice looking beast, can't go past those Giants for value for money and quality.

From a personal point of view, I am loving being back on the bike, why did I ever let it lapse?

Did 70 km today with three repeats of Mt Gravatt (2km climb at an average of 4.3%), nice day to be out and sweat. Weight loss has settled down at 15kg lost but the muscle bulk is coming in now.

I was watching some of my old Ironman Competitor videos the other day which got me thinking, perhaps I could go again.

Look out, here we go with the craziness again, damn I hate that Tri bug, it keeps biting me.
Old 22-10-2011, 10:05 PM   #270
gtfpv
GT

been off the bike for a while . walking 4 kms twice daily now . thats 56kms of walking per week . . bike seems a fair way off , but walking today i was thinking about the rides i did .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post