Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2011, 12:17 AM   #451
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Was that in Chelmer again Sam?

We were in Rocklea today, there was a Lions Club BBQ that was pretty big up the road a bit, we were almost as big and there was a much smaller (though contributing no less) outfit in the area we were.
Yeah, Chelmer again.
I had troubles getting out of Indooroopilly the traffic was unbelievable. So I ended up picking up my shovel and broom and walked to Chelmer.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 12:38 AM   #452
Scott

^^ Onya Sam, lots of people out there doing their bit that is for sure. I spent 2hrs in traffic to get to Rocklea (14km drive for me) and I wondered more than a few times if we were helping or hindering the operation as we made up another few cars on the road.

So many cars passed us by on the road to, and in Rocklea with cameras rolling out the windows that I can only assume there is a pretty massive glut of "tourists" out and about.

I expect the roads to be better tomorrow, lots of people will take the position that either their "bit" is done or there is enough helpers helping. Both fair enough too.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:04 AM   #453
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I expect the roads to be better tomorrow, lots of people will take the position that either their "bit" is done or there is enough helpers helping. Both fair enough too.
This is the sad thing about it. The work will never end over the coming weeks. From what i have seen
over the net of the pics and from what 74 survivors have told me in the past it take months to clean the mess up.
Job well done to all involved here on AFF. You make me proud to be a member of this forum with the massive
community spirit you are showing.
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #454
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Great work guys. All the appreciation I have has been reflected in others posts.

Just another small comment in conjunction with 'tourists', I have heard reports on the radio and the tv regarding people who are just 'looking' or being busy bodies for their own curiosity rather than preparing to roll up their sleeves.

While I understand being curious, shocked and interested in this devastating event, it is UNFAIR to troll around the busy suburbs who are actually involved with the clean up and intentionally out on the roads holding up traffic which have places to be and a limited time to do it in.

Please people, if you aren't actually helping the victims, do everyone else a favor and remain away from the affected areas.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #455
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Please people, if you aren't actually helping the victims, do everyone else a favor and remain away from the affected areas.
Had reports today of people scavenging through peoples belongings in some very hard hit places. Admittedly the stuff is out on the foot path (if you can recognise it as one) but FFS, really?

One woman summed it up well "I've F'en lost everything and these C's want to pick over my rubbish too".

The same woman told me of neighbours, sobbing in the gutter outside what is left of their homes with mud soaked photo albums and such clutched in their muddies hands... all the while tourists are pushing cameras into their faces for "happy snaps".

It is simply digusting that anyone here in Australia (visiting or not) would stoop to such pathetic lows and be so callous in a time of dire need and severe trauma.

The right words escape me, but even if I had them the swear filter would cut them out....
Old 16-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #456
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Had reports today of people scavenging through peoples belongings in some very hard hit places. Admittedly the stuff is out on the foot path (if you can recognise it as one) but FFS, really?

One woman summed it up well "I've F'en lost everything and these C's want to pick over my rubbish too".

The same woman told me of neighbours, sobbing in the gutter outside what is left of their homes with mud soaked photo albums and such clutched in their muddies hands... all the while tourists are pushing cameras into their faces for "happy snaps".

It is simply digusting that anyone here in Australia (visiting or not) would stoop to such pathetic lows and be so callous in a time of dire need and severe trauma.

The right words escape me, but even if I had them the swear filter would cut them out....
So bloody true Scott, whilst we were out in the ute dropping off drinks we tried our best to get out of emergency services and army staff. There were numerous people just sticky beaking and taking pictures it was simply unbeleivable. And to the people sifting through rubbish, i really hope that these home owners get you before the police do because i doubt they will be the ones calling the police, YOU WILL BE
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 09:11 PM   #457
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I just wish these busy bodies, happy snappers and gawkers would just let those who have been affected alone with what ever dignity they may have left. It's unfair to treat them this way after all they have had to go through. It's almost like kicking people when they are down. Seriously not cool and very very disrespectful.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #458
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Didn't have that problem at Rocklea. Just a heap of business people with staff , family and friends getting stuck into a pretty horrible job...........
Old 16-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #459
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
^^ Onya Sam, lots of people out there doing their bit that is for sure. I spent 2hrs in traffic to get to Rocklea (14km drive for me) and I wondered more than a few times if we were helping or hindering the operation as we made up another few cars on the road.

So many cars passed us by on the road to, and in Rocklea with cameras rolling out the windows that I can only assume there is a pretty massive glut of "tourists" out and about.

You must of been on Mogill Rd with me for an hour and twenty minutes...
Old 16-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #460
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
Didn't have that problem at Rocklea. Just a heap of business people with staff , family and friends getting stuck into a pretty horrible job...........
Yeah mate the good people far outweighed the people taking pics.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 20-01-2011, 10:09 AM   #461
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Several aerial "before and after" photos of the devastation:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/infograph...eforeafter.htm

For those who didn't experience it firsthand, these are very sobering to see.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #462
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: Brisbane CBD ordered to evacuate?

Amen mate , i hope we never see this again ...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #463
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Amen mate , i hope we never see this again ...
Agreed, some of the sights we seen when we went in and held a bbq were something you would only see in a movie.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 14-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #464
HVAC PRO

i have been doing a lot of work on some of the houses effected during the floods in brissie recently, the water marks you see on houses up to the second floor is just mind numbing just doesn't seem possible, i really hope we don't see another flood of that magnitude for a long time.. actually going to do some work on a beautiful big 3 storey house tomorrow that was badly affected near the river interesting part has been the wait for the large ducted a/c system I've had to replace due to the catastrofic floods that effected japan they have very little stock and many factories were damaged...
HVAC PRO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #465
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

OMG .. I totally bumped this by accident ??????? I clicked on a link in a thread i found by a link lol .. sorry ...
Old 14-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #466
Scott

Wow, memories eh? As a coincidence I was pulled up at our BBQ spot today (Graceville), took a wrong turn here and there, found myself playing with the GPS right at the spot.

Onya blokes
Old 14-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #467
Road Games

On you Scott ... HUGE effort organising this .. I am off on a new adventure shortly but i will always contribute to the cause..

We have to catch up in the new year please ?
Old 15-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #468
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

im keen to hear some stories of how people went with insurance companies.. we had nothing but hassles with ours.. almost to the point of court case. even with letters from our local member or parliament stating he personally walked through the house and yes we did loose everything. but the neighbours (who claimed the flood money) rang up and said we wernt go figure.

we had dodgy work carried out and they refused to replace doors which still dont close. but after 8 months we were able to move back in with the walls kitchen etc replaced.

its not right that you pay so much for insurance and when you need them they do everything they can to not pay you
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #469
huggiebear
Mr. Multiple Projects

oh thats right apparently pics of small amounts of water in the house and after shots wasnt enough. they wanted pics of water in the house at the highest point.. im sorry but i wasnt sticking around when the water was already up to my chest as soon as i walked out of the house..
2004 Forester Turbo
2006 Corolla Wagon BLAAAAAAACK
huggiebear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post