Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2005, 01:52 AM   #1
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Default Holden fudging figures because of costs on VE

something i posted on another forum...

well i don't feel guilty about talking about this because it's the unfortunate events that have happened to many over at Holden, meaning there are numerous ex holden employees now because of the VE platform being knocked on the head in the US.

Mooney is trying to pass on a message that it hasn't and won't affect holden, yeah, ask these poor engineers about that, you'll get a different answer.

Getting to the point, Holden are under considerable financial pressure because of the VE, it has been a very very expensive task for holden, not all their fault though. It is big enough an issue that they are pushing back most of their local VE pilot builds until next financial year so that the financial reports they have to send to big brother for this year look healthy/no problems. VE's have come out of Japan for tooling development purposes, next will be the local production, this is what costs big bucks to holden (millions and millions per car).....

Another major issue they are facing is making VE more profitable for the local market now that it has a much smaller focus. They are said to be ripping a lot of cost out of it, so who knows how this will compromise the product.

This all bodes extremely well for Ford, because they have set very high targets for the all new falcon that's being worked on now and things are coming along very well. Not only should Falcon match VE, it is likely it to surpass it as VE will not be up to the standard it was first set out to be.

Cheers.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 03:19 AM   #2
lizardmech

If it looks like the photoshops in the car magazines they are risking it becoming the next AU, the vectra isn't very popular.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 06:38 AM   #3
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to be the cynic here, but how do you know all of this? You cite no referrances and apparently you know things that "big brother" don't. By the wy, who is big brother?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

I am talking about GM when i refer to big brother.

How i know this...? well the answer lies within my original post, not all info has to come from magazines etc.

Concerning the styling of VE, i don't think it's going to be an issue, it's said to look quite good and to be honest i don't mind the look of the photochops in the mags, although they aren't 100%, but they do give away some of the styling cues.
Old 30-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEM
something i posted on another forum...

well i don't feel guilty about talking about this because it's the unfortunate events that have happened to many over at Holden, meaning there are numerous ex holden employees now because of the VE platform being knocked on the head in the US.

Mooney is trying to pass on a message that it hasn't and won't affect holden, yeah, ask these poor engineers about that, you'll get a different answer.

Getting to the point, Holden are under considerable financial pressure because of the VE, it has been a very very expensive task for holden, not all their fault though. It is big enough an issue that they are pushing back most of their local VE pilot builds until next financial year so that the financial reports they have to send to big brother for this year look healthy/no problems. VE's have come out of Japan for tooling development purposes, next will be the local production, this is what costs big bucks to holden (millions and millions per car).....

Another major issue they are facing is making VE more profitable for the local market now that it has a much smaller focus. They are said to be ripping a lot of cost out of it, so who knows how this will compromise the product.

This all bodes extremely well for Ford, because they have set very high targets for the all new falcon that's being worked on now and things are coming along very well. Not only should Falcon match VE, it is likely it to surpass it as VE will not be up to the standard it was first set out to be.

Cheers.
This explains why there is no VE wagon on the drawing board.

They're planing to keep the current VZ wagaon & adventra shape till 2007, with no decisions being made to the wagons future till then.

Maybe the Holden & Ford wagon is on borrowed time, especially with the Territory around.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The majority of engineers with Holden are contractors on usually year long, or two year long contracts. Holden will simply not renew contracts for engineers not vital to development of the VE, however 90% of the framework has already been done. Engineering has its demand phases, and this is the expected end of one of them.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 11:59 AM   #7
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
The majority of engineers with Holden are contractors on usually year long, or two year long contracts. Holden will simply not renew contracts for engineers not vital to development of the VE, however 90% of the framework has already been done. Engineering has its demand phases, and this is the expected end of one of them.
That's true, but there were contracts cut very short because of many internal issues and developments being put on hold.

This doesn't change the fact that Holden have some challenges.. the thing is not many will know the difference, Holden are a great marketing machine, people will believe they are buying a world class platform, when really, it will be a cut down version.

I'm by no means saying it's going to be a bad car though, it will remain to be the most significant commodore redesign in long while.
Old 30-06-2005, 12:08 PM   #8
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

cool cheers for the info

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2005, 12:55 PM   #9
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

interesting to say the least...i was thinking along the lines that the new car will be superior because of the money poured into it and how we're the only lucky ones to get it but... i didnt think about in these terms....(ie the cost has to be worn by holden)
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post