Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 27-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #1
1stFord
Starter Motor

Red face Voice Command Error

This is the first Ford I own. It is MB Zetec petrol.
The voice command could not recognize the word for number 2 (two). It either takes it as the number 4 (four) or blank. Has anyone experience this or the voice command module in my car is faulty. I contacted service centre and they said that it nothing they can do and there is no flash update module. It is annoying otherwise it is a good tech car.

1stFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bit of a captain obvious question for you, but are you sure you are enunciating correctly?? mine plays up sometimes if i am speaking too quickly for it too...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #3
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your not alone for the love of it "CD" may only work 20% of the time after much frustration I tell her to $#^& off! then she says "Command Cancel" grrrrrrr

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #4
r2d2

I am the same, get someone in the car and say the car is like KITT, but female. Watch this CD, and it doesnt get it. Then thats were I pipe up and say, see a typical woman doesnt listen to men. Ford has proven the world right.
Old 27-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
RicOz

1stFord... no offence but you're not from Adelaide are you??? ;)
Old 28-05-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
1stFord
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

It looks like you all had problems with the voice command but accept the fact that the technology does not work well. It works 7 out of 10 for me except that number 2 or too!!. Even Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear was also frustrated with the system in the Merc. Well, I store name tags and enjoy the hand free calling, switching CD disc number, radio, USB and turn up/down fan speed.
Old 28-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #7
fordmondeoman

All voice systems struggle with accents even if you dont think you have one, sounds stupid but talk to it slow and more like a computer voice and it will work 100% mine does. and iv been using voice systems in bmw cars for about 10 years now and have learnt how to talk to them. You feel like a dick head but it works.
Old 28-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
1stFord
Starter Motor

So how do you pronounce the word "two" in computer tone. I try different accent and speak slowly but with no luck.
Old 29-05-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
GBgb
Starter Motor

Not sure if this is a Ford Blue Tooth or Telstra issue.

But when I am listening to voice messages on hands free, start driving and putting the seat belt on, the seat belt warning chimes send a signal to telstra & the message bank voice says "goodbye" & ends the call!
GBgb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBgb
Not sure if this is a Ford Blue Tooth or Telstra issue.

But when I am listening to voice messages on hands free, start driving and putting the seat belt on, the seat belt warning chimes send a signal to telstra & the message bank voice says "goodbye" & ends the call!
Maybe its trying to tell you put the seats belt on before starting the engine and driving off

apstar
Old 29-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
MOND30
If You Seek AU

I've learnt that I have to say "farn" to change the fan speed, it just doesn't recognise an Australian-accented "fan".

I find the "Help" menu pretty useful, just say "Help" in any of the functions (ie say "Climate", then "Help") and it plays all the command words in that function.

Cheers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:24 AM   #12
GBgb
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Maybe its trying to tell you put the seats belt on before starting the engine and driving off

apstar
Yeh, a conspiracy between Ford, Telstra & Grant Dorrington (WA Road Safety Clown) to not allow multi tasking!
GBgb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-05-2010, 12:34 AM   #13
bungarra

GBgb, Dorrington couldn't have been part of the conspiracy, he only knows two things to say. 1) Lower the speed limits, 2) More speed cameras. Funny how two ties into one!!
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 12:25 AM   #14
1stFord
Starter Motor

Thumbs up

Whoopie! Yahoo! It works. After driving and trying out the voice command for a month, I cracked the code. I said 't' 'oo' and it works for number 'two'. I am now happy with my Mondy (except everyone think I'm ?????).

MOND30, I learnt to speak 'farn' to get to change the 'farn speed' like you said. I guess having the 'English' voice command module we have to speak like Mr Bean.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:36 AM   #15
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFord
Whoopie! Yahoo! It works. After driving and trying out the voice command for a month, I cracked the code. I said 't' 'oo' and it works for number 'two'. I am now happy with my Mondy (except everyone think I'm ?????).

MOND30, I learnt to speak 'farn' to get to change the 'farn speed' like you said. I guess having the 'English' voice command module we have to speak like Mr Bean.
ok then for these I say

'f' 'ee' 3
'f' 'or' 4
'f' 'ive' 5
'see'...... 'dee'
'c' ....'dee'

apstar
Old 02-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #16
seduced_xr
BF XR6

lol i wouldnt mind getting some cameras/mics set up in your mondeos for a few days

my aunty just picked up a new mondeo titanium, i havent mastered all its crap to get it started yet alone made it to the voice activation yet
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The same problem when you ring banks etc and you get their voice recognition system I swear at it all the time. Even speaking sloooowly, it doesn't always work !!!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #18
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stFord
I guess having the 'English' voice command module we have to speak like Mr Bean.
We don't all speak like Mr Bean.

I am from England (the midlands) and she ignores me as well!!!!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it doesn't matter so much about speaking slowly (although it helps) rather how you announciate what you are saying. most times it gets what i am saying, no probs. i like that you can recite a whole phone number and it gets it in one go. i use this feature alot...

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 02-06-2010, 11:17 PM   #20
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, what can you expect?

After all the add tells us that:

1. A dog takes precedence over a driver, and

2. Woof = four

Seroiusly, is there no "learn" mode in the menu? By which I mean an ability for the user to speak a number of prompted words so the "system" can decipher the user's accent.

Makes me rather glad I opted out of the "high" end model - but then the pet food bill might have gotten out of hand.

Cheers

Alan

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #21
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if that's a reason to opt out of a brilliantly appointed car, then you must be very hard to please... you can operate everything the voice control operates manually from the multi-function steering wheel anyway if it bothers you that much...

i love the appointments my XR5 has...

Old 03-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #22
ian b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
you can operate everything the voice control operates manually from the multi-function steering wheel
i love the appointments my XR5 has...
Agree with this, I have always used the steering wheel controls over the voice control, usually quicker than arguing with the technology.