Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-04-2018, 02:22 PM   #721
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Re: Crypto $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
You think bitcoin will to $0 in less than 5 years? Why is that?
Bit coin is old technology. Its slow and expensive to use. It may not be at 0 but it will not be considered a good investment. I have heard that Amazon has now registered a patent for a product that will be able to track and identify bitcoin users. Not sure if that is true but if you take anonymity from it... then it becomes pointless. Of course this is only my opinion. And I'm the one that predicted ripple to $5 by Easter. How wrong could I be???
2 users like this post:
Old 21-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #722
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
a year ago there was maybe 5 coins people cared about, now there's 1500+* sh*tcoins/tokens/ICO scams/forks/splits/exchange currencies etc. bitcoin will still be here in 5 years, 99% of those scamcoins won't be.

the top 10 coins make up 80% of the market, the other 20% is scraps

*https://coinmarketcap.com/all/views/all/
I agree 100% with what you say. Except the bit about bitcoin. Time will tell....
Old 21-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #723
hellrc5

Bitcoin is useless as daily payment currency bcoz of its limitations but its very popular investment coz of its big swings but relative maturity at the same time. Still the revolutionary first one with 40 to 45% market share

Sent from my Note7 FE - Flames Extinguished edition
hellrc5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2018, 03:17 PM   #724
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
. I have heard that Amazon has now registered a patent for a product that will be able to track and identify bitcoin users.
yawn.

bitcoin never had anonymity. people have been able to track users since day one - it's all there in the block chain. there's a group that have been tracking the coins 'stolen' from mtgox and the other big upsets on other exchanges, FBI tracked down the operator of the silk road.

I agree it'll never be a day-to-day currency, it's more like Gold, an investment asset. And like gold it'll be around for a long time.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2018, 09:03 PM   #725
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
I agree it'll never be a day-to-day currency, it's more like Gold, an investment asset. And like gold it'll be around for a long time.
I agree, bitcoin will not disappear anytime soon it will continue to be the gold standard of crypto for a long time yet.
Old 22-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #726
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is anyone still watching.
Nope, but thank Christ I sold all my comm bank and amp shares a year ago.

Markets must be hurting.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #727
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Been somebody very interesting surges the past few days. A couple that have surprised me have been.

Tron (TRX) really reclaming the ground it lost after its high.
Bitcoin Cash (BCC) near enough to doubled
Dash is also having a push I wasn’t expecting.

Bitcoin as always leading these pushes.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #728
cupic
Nikon

If you where on-board early you will always be a winner ..Dive into now not so sure
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #729
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic View Post
If you where on-board early you will always be a winner ..Dive into now not so sure
Yes anyone who bought a year or so ago and have held their crypto would be sitting pretty right about now...

Crypto is still on sale at the moment, prices are still down about 50% from where they were at the start of the year. Still a good buying opportunity at the moment imo
Old 02-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #730
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSwSJQf1FOg

This lady knows her stuff. I tried as best I could to confirm what she says. I wont say what I found out but I have bought more XRP. Its a long video so if you have a short attention span it s not for you. But if you sit down with a cold beer or a hot coffee you will learn heaps. I hope you guys enjoy it. Especially those that think crypto $$ are a ponzi scheme or a fad. Cheers all.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #731
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Linda coin.

https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/linda/
Old 07-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #732
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I hope you bitcoin profit makers haven't been hiding anything from the ATO https://www.afr.com/news/theres-nowh...0180706-h12cn9 and https://www.afr.com/news/policy/tax/...0180703-h1265z
Old 07-07-2018, 12:16 PM   #733
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Well I am safe.... They would have to pay me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I hope you bitcoin profit makers haven't been hiding anything from the ATO https://www.afr.com/news/theres-nowh...0180706-h12cn9 and https://www.afr.com/news/policy/tax/...0180703-h1265z
Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2018, 06:36 AM   #734
hellrc5

Well most of ppl sucked with crypto this year but so far it definitely was not the year of HODLers

Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #735
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

From Intelligent Investor last week.

The cryptos hangover still lingers for investors
Latecomers to the cryptocurrency party are still suffering from the crash.

Summary: The values of major cryptocurrencies have fallen significantly in the last six to seven months.
Key take-out: There is no single reason for the dip, other than the fact investors have simply stopped buying.

Remember when cryptocurrencies were soaring, turning some punters into crypto millionaires?

With the value of cryptocurrencies (most notably bitcoin) rising exponentially in such a short period of time late last year, and with plenty of mainstream media attention, many decided they wanted a piece of the action. It seemed like a great idea in theory, with many people pouring money into them – often without worrying about how they work or what they actually are – in the belief they simply couldn’t lose.
But ever heard the old saying about something that sounds too good to be true? Anyone who bought the major cryptocurrencies at their zenith late last year certainly has.

The crash
As a general rule, the values of most prominent cryptocurrencies peaked late last year or early this year, and barely half a year later, many have lost significant value. As of Monday bitcoin, for example, had lost over 60 per cent of its value since mid-December. Similarly, the value of ethereum has fallen by nearly 70 per cent in just over six months. Ripple, which is slightly different in that it is a blockchain platform with its own coin, has fallen in value from around $3.55 as the calendar flipped to 2018, to just under 62 cents on Monday, a decrease of more than 80 per cent.

Source: www.coinspot.com.au

Mind-boggling numbers indeed.

Something terrible must have happened to cause this, right? Not really, according to co-CEO of Bitcoin.com.au, Rupert Hackett.
“I think in terms of the downtrend, there haven’t really been any key outlying events that I would say were out of the norm that hadn’t occurred in the last few years,” Hackett says.
In fact, he says, the explanation is much simpler.
“I think it was just completely overbought, at the end of the day. I think it was just a natural momentum up that reached its peak euphoria and there was no one really left … to buy.”
Curiosity undoubtedly played a role in the astronomical rise in cryptocurrency prices, but even Hackett admits to being surprised by just how high prices reached late last year.
“For anyone inside the market, it was very much insanity as to how something could get priced at such a high level without there really being a technical infrastructure change in that period,” he says.
Often with a fixed or semi-fixed supply and no central bank to regulate the process, changes in demand can have wild effects on the prices of cryptocurrencies. This can lead to a ‘snowball’ effect, in which demand in a cryptocurrency market rises or falls, which places either upward or downward pressure on prices due to their fixed supply. This exacerbated when people see the price rising or falling, prompting them to buy or sell, creating more price increases or decreases, and the cycle starts again.
This phenomenon, dictated by the interest of investors, has clearly been the impetus behind the meteoric rise and spectacular fall in crypto markets, but it hasn’t been the only factor.

Initial Coin Offerings (ICOs)
Investors weren’t the only people jumping on the crypto bandwagon at the height of the madness, with a proliferation of people creating new coins as a method of raising capital to fund their own ventures – similar to an initial public offering. The sheer volume of coins established in the last six months is astounding, but plenty have failed. Nonetheless, people kept producing new coins and people kept buying them, although not always with the right intentions, according to Hackett.
“I think a lot of people have bought ICOs with a ‘get rich quick scheme’ mentality and now they’re having to face the music of realising that it’s a lot more difficult and a lot more complex to actually build the idea into infrastructure,” he says.
A major issue with ICOs is that there are no restrictions on who can release their own coin, which can cause all sorts of legitimacy issues. Hackett admits this is a problem.
“One of the big concerns about ICOs is that there’s been no barrier to entry so, as a result, more and more ICOs will be created until people are just not willing to invest in them anymore."
The Australian Competition & Consumer Commision recently found that cryptocurrency scams are the second most common type of investment scam in Australia. It has also been reported that Australians lost more than $2.1 million in cryptocurrency-related scams last year, about one third of which was lost in December, when crypto markets were really heating up. The combination of anonymity, ease of access and often ignorant investors makes the world of cryptocurrencies – particularly ICOs – an ideal hunting ground for criminals.
It would be naïve to think the news of scams, along with semi-regular hacking controversies on cryptocurrency exchanges, has not played a role in the crypto downturn, creating trust issues with investors and encouraging them to ‘get out’ before they get caught, which would cause prices to ease.

Regulation
This is a constantly evolving area, which varies greatly across borders. Some countries, such as Japan and South Korea, are quite advanced in their regulation of crypto markets; but in other countries, cryptocurrencies are banned altogether. In Australia, cryptocurrencies are classified as capital gains tax (CGT) assets, meaning CGT may be payable when cryptocurrencies are traded for other cryptocurrencies, or sold at a profit.
The only certainty in this area is that regulation will continue to develop and change, and anticipation of a tighter regulatory environment has contributed to falling prices.
In its annual economic report released last month, the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) found that cryptocurrencies cannot replace our current monetary system without significant upgrades. One of the major problems, according to the report, is that cryptocurrencies are simply too volatile to act as a mainstream payments system.
“The essence of good money has always been trust in the stability of its value,” the report says.
The report also notes that, “the more people use a cryptocurrency, the more cumbersome payments become”. This is because the technology behind certain cryptocurrencies can only handle a predetermined number of transactions at any given time, meaning that when capacity is reached, new transactions must enter a queue, which can cause lengthy delays and high transaction costs.
Lastly, the BIS is concerned about, “the fragile foundation of the trust in cryptocurrencies”. This is due to the fact that there may be multiple versions of the ledger on which cryptocurrency transactions are recorded, and also that cryptocurrency miners may have the ability to manipulate the currency.
Speaking at the Australian Business Economists Briefing last month, the Reserve Bank of Australia's Head of Payments Policy Department Tony Richards expressed a view in line with that of the BIS, casting doubt on whether cryptocurrencies really have a real place in the monetary system.
If nothing else, the cryptocurrency craze and subsequent crash can act as a sage reminder that when it comes to investing, there is virtually no such thing as ‘making a quick buck.’
Speculating is a dangerous game, and investing in cryptocurrencies isn’t a decision to be made lightly.

Michael Pepicelli

Last edited by FairmontGS; 07-08-2018 at 09:40 AM.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #736
Dodge
i like to be stroked

i trade on coinjar and other wallets , happy to shoot you a link to join , you also get a debit card to pull your money out or buy more cryptos
here is a link to join coinjar, i will recieve a small reward for referals https://www.coinjar.com/_ref/@craigmac888
Old 07-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #737
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
i trade on coinjar and other wallets , happy to shoot you a link to join , you also get a debit card to pull your money out or buy more cryptos
here is a link to join coinjar, i will recieve a small reward for referals https://www.coinjar.com/_ref/@craigmac888
why am i giggling like a nigerian bridge salesman
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #738
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hello, 5 years ago today I bought a coffee using BitCoins. That same amount is now worth $510, lmao.

I still have some coin but it was just interesting and cool in the beginning (2011) and it got me interesting in other things.
stefcio007 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #739
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Ripple is at $0.36.........

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 14-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #740
hellrc5

Getting close to 20c

Old 14-08-2018, 03:26 PM   #741
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

As soon as btcmarkets get their act together I’m buying lots more xrp.
Old 14-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #742
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
If you go to their site up the top it says it is good to go. I think...

If I had cash to throw on the pile I would.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 14-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #743
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
It's been going down since December, is there a reason you want to buy more?
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #744
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Missed the bus. Going back up again.

EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Old 14-08-2018, 04:37 PM   #745
hellrc5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATAL View Post
If you go to their site up the top it says it is good to go. I think...

If I had cash to throw on the pile I would.

They screwed up the wallets... xrp bch and omg is not fixed yet.. for a week now. They had all withdrawals and deposits suspended for the first 3 days...

Old 14-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #746
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy View Post
It's been going down since December, is there a reason you want to buy more?
I’ve made 60k since October last year. Is that a good enough reason. There is serious $$ to be made in the next 6 months or so. Just don’t spend anything you can’t afford to loose.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-08-2018, 05:41 PM   #747
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
I’ve made 60k since October last year. Is that a good enough reason. There is serious $$ to be made in the next 6 months or so. Just don’t spend anything you can’t afford to loose.
How much of the 60k did you make after January?
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #748
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura97 View Post
How much of the 60k did you make after January?
Very little. Maybe 1.5k. But now is the time to start stock piling again.

Get onto YouTube and search esoteric trading. Have a listen.
Old 14-08-2018, 05:56 PM   #749
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Very little. Maybe 1.5k. But now is the time to start stock piling again.

Get onto YouTube and search esoteric trading. Have a listen.
I've been hearing that for about 8 months now. The bubble has burst and only little gains are to be made, so unless you want to risk a lot of money the returns are going to be very little.
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #750
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh my looks like its time to go shopping again for some cheap crypto...