Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #31
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Planning on playing golf again

Bought the new Ping L8 stand bag (although besides for exercise purposes during summer will just sit on my smoothy) and 35 x AAA+ titleist nxt/nxt s balls for practice. Keeping my Titleist 909D and 56d vokey. Selling my taylormade rescue 3i, rescue faiway wood, Orlimar stand bag, Taylormade 3 - sw R540XD irons and Wilson pro staff blade putter (trade in if I don't sell them). Just put an offer on ex demo standard lie/length stiff s300 dynamic gold titleist ap2 714's 3 - pw. If they accept the offer...

plan is to fit up irons, fit up/purchase/lessons/practice for a putter, add an extra few degree and lessons/practice on vokey, and fit up for a new hybrid 3i (over a 5W) and possibly new 3W.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #32
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so got the titleist irons in yesterday and went for a quick hit on the driving range with 4,5,6 and 8i. Probably hit 70% ok, and 40% well. But the build quality and feel is superb. I can tell these irons will do me well. I love the blade with a slight cavity. I do hit well and given I was trying slight differences with grip, stance and addressing the ball, they still felt good. The weight will take a bit of getting used to, but that's not a bad thing. Surprisingly, the 4 and 5i were my better hits. This is a big thing for me as I struggled with the longer irons, but pretty good 6 - GW. Struggled at first with the 8i, but slowed my tempo and got some nice solid connections. Even with a slight miss hit, for a blade orientated iron was pretty forgiving.

Just bought the 900F3 fairway wood to match my driver. 909F3 has mid launch and low spin which suits me because it does get windy with strong gusts in Whyalla, although, id like to change it from 15d to maybe 12/15d. Looking for a good 60d wedge and putter next. I think ill let the pro sort me out with them though.

#singlefigures #6months

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #33
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bought off gumtree a good 2nd hand titleist 15d 909 f3, to go with my 909d2 comp driver. Took a bit of getting used to. Adjusted my grip, shoulder drop and stance and stop hitting once I hit 3 straight 200m off the turf in a row. Adjusted grip and stance slightly for the 4i, and its a cracker. Today off of gumtree I also bought a titlesit M 60/04d vokey. This is to go next my 54/10d sm vokey. We have hard turf in Whyalla, especially during summer, hence the 4d bounce. Don't want to be digging to much into the turf

#singlefigures #6months

Current
Previous

Old 05-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #34
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Golf; the best way to ruin an otherwise good walk.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #35
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

walking; the best way to ruin an otherwise good game of golf.

Current
Previous

4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM   #36
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Titliest is deluxe, good quality equipment & company, you can't go wrong with their stuff!

cheer's Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #37
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I played for about 10 years. Last 2 drivers have been titleist and real happy with my 54 vokey. Can notice the huge quality difference from my taylormade gear.

Current
Previous

Old 05-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #38
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Plenty of majors won by guys & gals using both companies equipment, Ping, Adams, Wilson & my old faithful 845's (Tommy Armour) in my bag atm. Haven't played for ages due to injury, miss the game heaps.

cheer's Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #39
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Yer you can tell when you upgrade and IF you can afford to in the first place using good higher quality clubs.
Once I got the hang on my mizuno's I couldn't get anything less in the future.
Same with ProV one pills, only ones I use.

Good on you mr monkey - enjoy the improve - and be careful round the ol fogies in that cart

I have a big game Monday coming up - looking forward to it !
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #40
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So played my first round putting in the 1st of 3 HC cards; and was an absolute shocker ha. Was a decent day too. Hadnt played on the course til saturday and hadnt done any putting prac due to wanting to get fitted up for a new one next week. The second 9 improved, stuck the ball batter with my driver and irons, although my irons i was pulling a bit. Had at least 5 par putts, chipped one in for birdie, but my best part was the head game. Before if started to play a bit rough id let that get to me, but was pretty happy yesterday and took each shot as they come rather than monitoring my scores. Still plan on being at an approx 10 or under HC before the end of the year though.

Current
Previous

2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #41
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Killed it on the weekend on my local course. 1 eagle, 2 birdies, 4 pars. Been trying a new swing and it's working. Irons are going dead straight.
Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 AM   #42
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Booked in with a pro 21st and 22nd to check lie and loft. Want to fix my fairway wood (inconsistent hitting) and putting. My chipping has actually been getting better after watching some tutorials on youtube to help me stop the ball better, and picked up and love my new 60d vokey M.

Current
Previous

Old 20-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #43
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Golf is a terrible and expensive addiction. But I love it. I'm off ~7 at the moment with my short game being the best thing about my game. Although I hate having to grind out pars when you don't make greens in reg.
Currently using a Ping G30 9 deg tour-x 65 shaft, Callaway Razr x 4 wood, Callaway Apex Pro 4-Gap and Cleveland RTX wedges.
Like I said..expensive ^^ (although the driver was a birthday present)

Good to see other golfers about.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2015, 02:38 PM   #44
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice. Just bought a scotty cameron select newport 2.5. Feel much more confident putting now. Heard good things about the rtx wedges. How are the grooves compared to the vokeys? i do like the weight of the vokeys and im a gold s300 fanboy.

My driving; which was previously my strength, has been no good. Im playing from behind the 8ball most holes by being 6ft or so off the fairway making it difficult for me to get up and down easier.

Current
Previous

Old 20-08-2015, 05:42 PM   #45
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The grooves seem more aggressive, it can be a pain pitching the ball and having it spin back 5m, which is more of a shot choice issue than the club, although the control on the shorter shots is great.

Yep I'm in a similar scenario, trying to work on more width with my driver swing. I'm hitting it fairly consistently, but only carrying it 240-250m at the moment, I tend to hit it a little high on the face. I'm using the Callaway Chrome Softs, they are great balls and good feel, but possibly a bit soft. I think I'll go back to the Pro V1x's I normally use as they are a little harder and probably carry further in winter (buying lake balls make these affordable).

Keep us updated on how everything going, cheers.
Old 21-08-2015, 01:01 PM   #46
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I've had Callaway Diablo Octanes for a while, generally hit them pretty sound - 260-70 but just like anything you come to a point in time thinking to upgrade.
History most times tells you its not needed but equipment improvements keep happening as we all know but I thinks it more the feel good factor when having tested some new weapons of choice you mentally get trapped thinking its that little extra improvement.
Been wanting a scotty cameron for a while seeing you mention it RBM, like their design, in the US end of Oct I'll get one then hopefully.
Old 21-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #47
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely agree^ There's only so much equipment can improve due to PGA regulations, however the ball is probably one of the biggest advances in technology of late.
I think in my case upgrading the clubs re-lit the candle to get out there playing, and if I had a bad day it didn't put me off going back out again.
Old 23-08-2015, 09:03 PM   #48
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had to buy new clubs otherwise it wouldve felt stale going back to golf. The ball feels so good coming off of the face of the scotty cameron. The milled face and sound help, but the weight distribution and the 2.5 shaft suit mh putting stroke.

My lessons went fairly well on the weekend. Was able to straighten out my drives a fair bit, but the trainer changed my iron swing which has upset my consistency but enabled me aim better.

Current
Previous

Old 24-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #49
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

This is what keeps me away from getting lessons again.
The changes, granted are meant for correction some people take so long adjusting it ruins their game all together.
I've changed my body alignment a few times then grip and your all twisted up lol but all good you get around it if you take yourself to the range a bit.
Old 25-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #50
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For anyone interested in stand bags, I like the versatile nature of them, and because I do heavy lifts in the gym, they allow me that extra calorie burn for summer. I bought the Ping L8 bag a few weeks ago which I think from research was the lightest stand bag which allows for 14 clubs. The backpack style straps is much comfier than my previous Orlimar bag. I did find I had to encourage the stand to begin with but after a little use it loosened up a bit. Not heaps of storage, but plenty for what you need and I guess you don't want to be carrying heaps on your back.

Scotty Cameron putter is the best thing Ive bought in a while, next to the AP2 irons. I was slightly concerned with the paint fill on the irons coming off and with the amount of fakes on the market, did some research last night and its pretty common. People are removing the paint and redoing it themselves with no issues. Some people are even changing the colours with reds and blues.

For anyone interested, Simon MacWhirter is the pro who I had lessons with. He has some quick basic lesson tips on youtube called golf masterclass.

Current
Previous

Old 25-08-2015, 01:43 PM   #51
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to hear your getting back into this awesome game RBM and my advice is not to try and set HC goals more so practice and playing goals. You best bet is to find a pro that you can work with and get along with. One of the biggest things guys do wrong when they have lessons is that they don't communicate properly with the pro. If something doesn't feel right or seems silly to ask JUST ASK....

I took the game up 10 years ago as a 30 yo and came from 20ish years of cricket (grade player), and always found ball striking fairly easy but struggled with shape and control.

Joined my 1st club and was given a HC of 21 (though I was expecting 16 ish) then caught the bug and got addicted... 2nd comp I played out of my a** and had 52 points (26/26) and got chopped to 13...

But shortly after this I just couldn't get past 11 and plateaued...

Lessons time, booked 6 lessons with club pro and had grip, posture and swing changes and soon was back to 17 HC, WHY.... because is stuck to his advice and knew one day it would click.

Shortly after 2 years of joining my 1st club myself and my mates decided to find a better and more challenging club which turned out to be Liverpool Golf Club at Landsvale NSW (139 slope rated 74 6400 meters long), which has hosted PGA events...

All my mates/playing buddies at my first club when the found out where i was moving to said GOOD LUCK and be prepared to drop back to 20 odd...

Anyway contrary to what they thought I actually started to play better and work my way around the course and conceding that some holes I just wasn't going to pay and just try and make sure I was on in 3 and two putted for 2 points...

So after 9 months at this new club I really started to get along with the new pro and also found out he was building a house 3 doors up from the rear of where i was building mine. So lessons seemed inevitable. Booked 6 lessons in with him and he's thoughts were let's work with what you have and see where we go.

So after about 3 months of I'll admit it some frustration I started to GET IT... and also found this mystical hidden hip turn power... I actually clearly remember the day at the range when i discovered it... seemed like i was swinging slower and hitting it further.

So now I'm down to around the 3 mark and my pro thinks that's about as low as I'll go for playing once or twice a month with no practice though.

I'm currently trying to get to the range in the weeks that I'm not playing and I find that can can almost play to 3/4 ish each time I tee it up.

To this day my biggest problem with my swing is my take away it's horrible... starts...stops... slows and then goes back it's a real problem but i just except it and work with it.

My bag:-

Woods

Ping i25 9.5 tour S flex Driver Pro Force shaft
Ping i25 18 deg 3 wood s flex Pro Force shaft
Adams idea 2 hybrid Voodoo s flex Adila shaft

Irons

Srixon i-701's (Forged 3 pc) 4 - PW S300 shafts

Wedges

Srixon i701 forged 52 degree 10 bounce
Srixon i701 forged 54 degree 12 bounce
Talyor made TP 58 degree
Srixon i302 blade SW 60 degree

Putter

Scotty Cameron - Studio Select Kombi 43'

Ball

Brigestone Tour s330

My goal this year was to get to 4 so I feel that I've done that so what i plan to work on next is distance control as that to me will see me shoot lower.

Keep at it RBM and remember some days your play like a pro and other like a C grader and thats golf mate, just except it and think I could be at work!

I've got my eyes on these new babies now even though my irons are still in great nik and feel great they are 8 years old now and technology is technology so why not use it...

Hit z745 at golf shof the other week (took my current 6 iron with me) and yeah felt more buttery and I hit it about 5 - 7 yards longer and much better numbers all round but yeah NOT CHEAP...

http://www.golf.com/equipment/srixon...-clubtest-2015

Good luck with mate...

P.s Links Lady bay is one of my favorite courses to play!

Last edited by vevapower; 25-08-2015 at 01:49 PM.
vevapower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #52
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ very good.

I set a HC goal but that's in relation to game I want to be playing by the end of the year. Once I start hitting more consistent drives that will mean im not playing from behind the 8-ball (or bushes/trees) which means I should have more up and downs.

I did look at the adams idea's hybrids. Are they easy to hit? I used to use a taylor made rescue 3 which I used to be able to crush, but struggled to hit that so went to just hitting 4i's and a 3w and not considered a hybrid since.

Current
Previous

Old 26-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #53
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah mate the Adams hybrid is my 2nd favorite club in my bag (just behind my 8 iron) and tbh is the most versatile club I've ever owned. I can hit it pretty much in all 9 of the boxes when i need too.. (bottom left box - low draw, top right box high cut etc...) I can hit a high fade that lands soft about 180 meters or a solid right to left draw out to about 210 meters.

Old 31-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #54
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Played my first comp with a handicap the weekend just been, which was the local 2 day open (sat and sun). My Initial HC after my first 3 rounds was 17.9 which put me in C grade haha. Local course is par 72. I came third on the sat with a nett 72. On Sunday I won with a nett 71, and won overall stroke and nett over the 2 days. This brought my HC down to 13.4. 4 strokes to go to reach my end of year goal.

I started well sat with +3 going into the 8th, where I hit GIR but ended with a triple, and lost it from there. Didn't hit a fairway all day off the tee. Sun I only missed 2 fairways off the tee with 220+ drives dead straight. I finally pulled my head out 13 holes in paring the last 5 of 6 holes. My putting has been great. So much confidence in the scotty Cameron. Since changing my iron swing/ball/hand location my chipping went down hill. But big upside is I have my drive back and my fairway wood has been priceless, sitting just short of 2 par 5's for 2 in head winds (but making par haha).

Regardless, after 5 rounds including my 3 initial HC cards, just need to scratch off another 4 strokes, which should be easier enough for me to do. When I remember what I need to do; in order, what Simon took me through the other weekend its all good hits. Head game is much better. #singlefiguesin3months

Current
Previous

Old 31-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #55
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good stuff RBM coming along nicely.

I played on sat had two wipes (one was from a shank) the other well lets just say there's a fence on that side of the hole for a reason!!!!

Anyways had 32 points....

Had a breakthrough with my chipping on the weekend though loading the front foot up more and getting much more solid impact and stopping power allowing for a more aggressive fly it to hole and one bounce two bounce and HAND BRAKE.....

Seems like your starting to work your way around the golf course better now and that in itself will drop your score by eliminating unnecessary errors from risky scrables/shots...

Old 31-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #56
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks. I used to play A grade with a bit of an unmatched bag of clubs without lessons a few years back. The plan was this time to do it properly. Pretty happy with progress so far.

I do the same (although I couldn't get it going on the weekend ) was playing the ball position inline with the inside of my front foot, close stance, weight on the front foot and straight arms (no wrist action) with my 60d vokey and get the ball to sit still.

Current
Previous

Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #57
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought 2 x dozen bridgestone B330S's last night. Did a bit of reading and didnt really want to pay $90 for pro v's. Iused to play bridgestone e6's with some success but found them a bit soft, and wanted more of a tour proven ball this time. The bridgestone B330 series seem to be a well priced 4 piece ball falling just short of the pro v quality at half the price. Looking forward to giving them a whirl. After doing the research and buying them, i then found the bridgestone online ball fitting system on their website. Turns out they are the recommended/best suited ball for me, according to the data input on their system #singlefiguresin3months

Current
Previous

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 02-09-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #58
vevapower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you notice the ball i was using in my post above RBM?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #59
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vevapower View Post
Did you notice the ball i was using in my post above RBM?
only now that you've brought it to my attention haha.

Current
Previous

Old 02-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #60
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Damn, $90 for pro v's ?! that was way back.
Not that I buy them much here but I see around $60 here in Syd.
I still like the prov 1's but I should get back on the Bridgy 330, bought them when I got my last set of clubs after having measured my swing speed, they are very good balls as well.
I have a game on Friday morn against my mate who with me is ultra competitive.
Were both on 18, close games near on every time love it !