Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #181
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Psychos in the Auto-Repair Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
What car?
Everytime i bought parts for my Saab the price tripled, the 85 Corvette Coupe was worse, but $110 IN today's market, bring your own parts, that's worth it, and the bonus....meticulous work!
You lucky, most make their "beer" money from a 50% write up on the parts, so your deal is a beauty!...
Cheers King Billy

Falcon They go by the hour so type of car isn't really a factor. I have sent different cars in there and its the same. I also get a free courtesy car whilst its there, even if the job is only a couple of hours. Have built a pretty good rapport with them, to the point where they even let me bring my own coolant I have been using them for 8 years now.

I say "melb tax" because that is what my mates up in QLD call it. They always laugh when I tell them how much it is to do a job here.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #182
slowsnake
Banned

Your very lucky T3, finding an honest anything nowadays is hard going, but when they are efficient, meticulous on top of that and you "trust" them, then they have no need to advertise really, word of mouth is the highest praise!

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 11:08 AM   #183
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I worked in a Melbourne inner city workshop and parking was a drama. Luckily the council Ranger was corrupt and wouldn’t book our cars in exchange for free services.
Yep I see some of those inner suburban workshops and I wonder how that works, corrupt council employees are a bonus
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 11:57 AM   #184
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Yep I see some of those inner suburban workshops and I wonder how that works, corrupt council employees are a bonus
Using terms like corruption or bribery makes it sound bad. The feel good term is greasing the wheels.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 03:15 PM   #185
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Local independent workshop across the road from work is $165/hour with minimum 1 hour diagnostic charge the moment they look at the car - which is fair enough.

I still reckon they're too cheap.
depends on what diagnostics are done...if there's a pool of water on the ground and the diagnostic is.."mate I think you are leaking fluid"...then...hmmmm...if it entails hooking up a laptop to the OBD port then sure...but even then $165 is still a rip.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 05:00 PM   #186
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
That accent is pretty epic, I thought it was the real deal.

Then I did googling, oh my
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #187
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I offer you my condolences, and I do feel sorry for you, your logic is flawed and you can't see past your own nose.

Cheers Billy.
Feel free to post again when you can convey what you are trying to get across with all the references to pride, what is wrong with being proud of the work you do? Do feel free to check the different meanings of pride, ego, self worth, etc If you are confusing pride with arrogance let me know as your posts might make a bit more sense.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 09:00 PM   #188
slowsnake
Banned

Unhappy Re: Psychos in the Auto-Repair Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Feel free to post again when you can convey what you are trying to get across with all the references to pride, what is wrong with being proud of the work you do? Do feel free to check the different meanings of pride, ego, self worth, etc If you are confusing pride with arrogance let me know as your posts might make a bit more sense.
It seems my posts only seem to bother the folks who are trying to justify who they are, lots of folk always justify greed by attacking, and go into denial, sad really!

Cheers King Billy
Old 28-06-2021, 11:28 AM   #189
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
What car?

You lucky, most make their "beer" money from a 50% write up on the parts, so your deal is a beauty!...

50%

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #190
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

On some car consumables now, there’s very little between typical discounted retail and wholesale trade price when you compare apples to apples. DIN55T batteries are one; maybe $20 fat on a decent CCA/warranty and you’re expected to fit it then put a meter across the charging system. I buy some stuff through my part-time workplace just to keep the account sales volume up.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2021, 02:34 PM   #191
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
50%
My favourite one was a whole $1.74 difference between workshop price and retail from a Ford dealership

You're lucky if your margin is 20%.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2021, 11:33 PM   #192
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
On some car consumables now, there’s very little between typical discounted retail and wholesale trade price when you compare apples to apples.
If you're running a small business, even buying through a "trade network" I can practically guarantee you that Supercarp can sell it to the public cheaper, and still make money. And their other great advantage is that their warranty obligation is limited to "nah, you must have fitted it wrong."

My daughter works for a major discount liquor chain (which just so happens to be owned by one of the biggest retail giants) and they have restaurants and even pubs buying their wines, spirits, and even some bottled beers.

When another daughter worked for a major pizza chain (I assume they are franchises) the Owner/Manager got so sick of being fleeced by CCA, that he started buying trolley loads of softdrink from the local supermarket.

But, there's a difference between that and the "gouging" that some mechanics still get up to.

There's a local bloke who "fixes" cars by fitting parts he scrounges from Wreckers, and cons people that he's doing them some huge favour "cos they don't make em anymore."

Now if my turbo has sharted itself after 80k, why the **** would I pay for your labour to fit something from a wreck that's probably done twice that?
and FYI it's a bog-standard MHI turbo, so yeah you can still buy the parts brand new. He refused to fit a new part, "cos of warranty issues" but reckoned he could provide warranty on some rusty piece of junk from a wreckers.
So yet another ****ing job I have to do myself.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 29-06-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #193
Yabbie
Starter Motor

Since I finished my trade I have worked all over Australia, big cities, little towns, remote, dealer workshops, mine sites, mum and dad outfits, for myself picking up skills both for my trade and people, so I understand both sides of the argument, now I work on what I want to work on, I accept a challenge and get quite proud when I can repair the so-called unrepairable / Stuffed what ever, I tend to work on the odd, old, different, or down right strange using the old skills that aren't taught to the younger people any more. Don't charge like a wounded bull and I am mobile. If I can't fix it or make it run / do the job they get it for free, usually I get paid my diesel to and from when I do remote or bush, I don't have to pay anyone else, BUT as always the parts / consumables have to be paid for. AS I have said before maybe I am Different but I have met more psycho's that are customers then us mechanics.
Yabbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #194
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
My favourite one was a whole $1.74 difference between workshop price and retail from a Ford dealership

You're lucky if your margin is 20%.
20% is better than 19%?
And everyone is different when it comes to pricing, used to be called a "handling charge"..

Cheers King Billy
Old 08-07-2021, 07:56 AM   #195
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just caught up on the last few pages of this thread. Geeze I had a great chuckle.
Thanks.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #196
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just caught up on the last few pages of this thread. Geeze I had a great chuckle.
Thanks.
Then tell us your worst experience with Psycho's motor repairers?
You must have at least one bad experience!...lol

Cheers King Billy
Old 08-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #197
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Then tell us your worst experience with Psycho's motor repairers?
You must have at least one bad experience!...lol

Cheers King Billy
Billy, you got to keep up son. read reply no. 17 from back when this thread started.

Old 08-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #198
slowsnake
Banned

I was only a baby then!...sucking on my dum-dum, lol.
Yes I will look directly, there are an awful lot of posts and threads in this forum!...lol...

Cheers King Billy
Old 08-07-2021, 05:29 PM   #199
slowsnake
Banned

Well had a quick squizz, did you know that your post Number 17 is dated 08/08/2020....that's a year ago today!...Mmmm, must be providence, told you I was sucking a dum-dum....lol..hahaha...

Cheers King Billy
Old 08-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #200
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Well had a quick squizz, did you know that your post Number 17 is dated 08/08/2020....that's a year ago today!...Mmmm, must be providence, told you I was sucking a dum-dum....lol..hahaha...

Cheers King Billy
You do know its still July ?

5 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #201
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I panicked, thought i was about to miss my old mans birthday
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2021, 07:51 PM   #202
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
You do know its still July ?
We're due for Christmas celebrations end of this month I believe.
2 users like this post: