Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 27-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #1
REDDYZ

Default High octane verdict

I have used shell V power for about a month and found that normal unleaded is better option. You might be surprised if I say that I get more torque with normal unleaded. Timing has to be adjusted to get more power from V power. It burns so quick that the explosion is not long and strong enough when compared with regular unleaded. There is no change in the fuel economy either. Engine management has to be calibrated to get most out of high octane petrol, otherwise it is just waste of money. Some might think that engine runs clean, in my case it's not true either. Maintaining plugs and leads will keep engine clean. If you are running on high octane then my advise is to go for regular unleaded.

Yogi

Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
thearrow

Default Re: High octane verdict

What octane level is V power?? I have been using Caltex Vortex which is 95 and found it better than regular although to be fair there is not a lot of difference. I get around 1 litre per 100 better economy but it is hard to quantify as consumption varies so much on the type of driving.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

V Power / BP Ultimate / Mobil Synergy 8000 (before 7/11 took over) = 98 Octane
Old 30-04-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

I always used 95 in my old Cougar. Regular unleaded didn't cut it. 98 didn't do much, so I stuck to 95 and it run fine.

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #5
Dshibi
A New Focus In Life...

Same as George I mainly used 95 (Mobil whatever it was) in the Cougar. I found very little difference in fuel consumption compared to 91 or 98 but I do remember reading that the Duratec engine might not do well with that blended 10% Ethanol crap!

Dan
Old 29-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
FumDuk

I agree! I find BP standard unleaded the best fuel for my Cougar, and thats after testing heaps of diff types, I only tried that 10% Ethanol once and she farted and pooped herself till it was all gone... Nothing wrong with a cheap girl lol. I use a cheap fuel and drive her dirty and she loves it
Old 30-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
REDDYZ

I tried E10 (10% Ethanol) once when I was heading to Melbourne from Sydney. I couldn't find a servo with normal unleaded on the way out so with not much choice I filled half a tank of E10. I didn't had any problem with E10, it was just freeway driving though and eventually after 25 or 50kms I filled normal unleaded full tank. Never thought about it again till now.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post