Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #61
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2nd Great Depression is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
individual: as to your reference "buy now pay later" which is typically low end credit.
Yes, and an easy trap for those with less than an iron will. Credit cards, point-of-sale credit, personal loans all add up, and are usually for the most non-essential items. I really wonder what hope we have, given the message promoted by govco and big business that we need to spend to be happy and prosper. I think far greater pleasure comes from modest activities such as having friends or family around for a home cooked meal.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I seen the AUD falling heaps against the USD in the last few days, not too happy now its going to start costing more to import stuff from the USA.

Also whats the deal with gold prices? When I was in Grade 3 in 2000 it was like $300 something an ounce, looking the other day it was $1600+ Is a shiny rock which you can't do much with really worth that much?

Also its going to be interesting with work considering we keep getting told we're not doing our jobs fast enough, as far as our boss says, we're one step away from the chopping block by the board of investors who bought into our company. I wonder if this downturn is enough to tip us over the edge? Might be the time and perfect chance for the career change we where all dreaming about if we all get the sack?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #63
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Also whats the deal with gold prices? When I was in Grade 3 in 2000 it was like $300 something an ounce, looking the other day it was $1600+ Is a shiny rock which you can't do much with really worth that much?
Gold, like anything else, is affected by supply and demand. Demand for gold always increases during times of financial uncertainty. It is a product which is used to protect ones wealth when other forms of investment are proving too risky.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #64
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
If you are poor - you have nothing, right? So how can you get poorer? I think this is one of the stupidest thow-away lines there is.
The next one in this vein is that the gap between the righ and poor is growing. Once again, the poor can't get any poorer. Yes the righ are increasing their wealth, but you would too if you were in their shoes.

So we come back to how we as individuals can limit the effects of a recession. The answer is to live within your means. Just because you can buy now and pay later does not mean you have to!
Well today, even dead broke you can eat by going to the Salvos, but given the numbers of people out of work in a depression (30 -50% or more), and the tight government budget theres no Dole and the Salvos are stretched far to thin, so you get poorer by not being able to eat or feed your kids. Id say thats poorer.

What you can buy now, even well within your means is well out of your means in a depression for most people. One of the first things to go in a depression is your job, and likely your partners. By that time people are begging for work to earn just enough to feed the family and not much else.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #65
fmc351
let it burn

Cash can be worthless in a DEPRESSION. Havent you seen the photos of Germans during the Great Depression walking around pushing a wheelbarrow full of money, and not enough to buy a loaf of bread. There were other reasons why German money was so worthless, but it was a large part the Depression that did it.

Guns and ammo is where its at. Im only half joking. Oh, and baked beans lots of canned goods like baked beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Could be for real. American economy is fragile (and that's being kind), and while we are a fair way away geographically, we rely on the US for a lot (all those crate engines to power the "Australian" car, for example) - but seriously, the US economy the way it is can't last, and the impact will be felt around this globe of ours.

So....shop at Aldi, Coles, Woolies, the local butcher, or wherever is cheapest!
Seriously, their Debt to GDP ratio is no worse than ours. Sure its high, but sustainable, the rest is just politicians staking a claim to their jobs and using the fear of doom and gloom to get there. All this talk about depression and recession is what will do us in, consumer confidence is dodgey enough now, if we keep it up it will become a self fulfilling prophesy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
...christ countries like pakistan get handouts, why?.
Well theres humanitarian reasons but if they dont float your boat, then theres it being in our best interests given its a hotbed for extremists and they have a nuke. Its cheaper than another war we cant win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
The country at the greatest risk [direct exposure] of the US failing is China, then there is China's worrying inflation and seemingly growing stock of empty commercial premises.

The US is a big buyer of Chinese exports, as is the rest of the world and there would be no hiding from a Chinese fart at the moment.

The problem that faces the troubled economies (which realistically is most of them) is that the biggest numbers in the Euro Zone, US and Japan are all in a lot more trouble than they can hope to fix without epic change.
China has one thing up its sleeve, its barely brought 10% of its population into the economy. Without trade to the US it will suffer and obviously we will too, but it can turn its attention to growing its economy within its borders and sustain a growing economy. Instead of the record growth it has now in terms of GDP, it could reflect a more normal level of growth of say 3% by focusing on internal growth. Make good use of all that empty building space too. Maybe, just maybe they know what they are doing.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #66
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Well today, even dead broke you can eat by going to the Salvos, but given the numbers of people out of work in a depression (30 -50% or more), and the tight government budget theres no Dole and the Salvos are stretched far to thin, so you get poorer by not being able to eat or feed your kids. Id say thats poorer.

What you can buy now, even well within your means is well out of your means in a depression for most people. One of the first things to go in a depression is your job, and likely your partners. By that time people are begging for work to earn just enough to feed the family and not much else.
What you are talking about is not happening. We are not going into a depression, the dole is still there, and unemployment will not go to 30-50%. In the Great Depression people ate rabbits, possums and seaguls to stay alive. We are so far away from this reality that we think our world is ending when we have to cut the subscription to Austar. As an example - the highest per-capita spending on pokies occurs int he lowest socioeconomic sectors/suburbs. How poor can you be if you can still afford a flutter? Oh, there will always be ACA or TT doing an article on some idiot living off tinned cat food, but really that is more an example of stupidity that anything else. One tin of cat food is $1, which will buy you 2kg of spuds if you buy a bag. Which one fills you up more?
So I will stand by my original statement that the poor cannot get poorer. And if you really think you are poor and getting worse off, then you were not really poor in the first place!
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #67
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
What you are talking about is not happening. We are not going into a depression, the dole is still there, and unemployment will not go to 30-50%. In the Great Depression people ate rabbits, possums and seaguls to stay alive. We are so far away from this reality that we think our world is ending when we have to cut the subscription to Austar. As an example - the highest per-capita spending on pokies occurs int he lowest socioeconomic sectors/suburbs. How poor can you be if you can still afford a flutter? Oh, there will always be ACA or TT doing an article on some idiot living off tinned cat food, but really that is more an example of stupidity that anything else. One tin of cat food is $1, which will buy you 2kg of spuds if you buy a bag. Which one fills you up more?
So I will stand by my original statement that the poor cannot get poorer. And if you really think you are poor and getting worse off, then you were not really poor in the first place!
Except depression is the thread title. Your original answer was in reference to being poorer during a depression compared to now. And yep, absolutely what I spelled out is exactly what happens in a depression (unemployment numbers may vary).

If you read my other posts, I dont think were headed for a depression either, but your post suggested that even in a depression, you cant be poorer. Nothing to do with the storylines of rubbish 'current affairs' programs.

That last bit I cant disagree with at all, no-one in Aus has any excuse to think they are dirt poor, not by world standards anyway. However in a depression, that will change.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #68
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Except depression is the thread title. Your original answer was in reference to being poorer during a depression compared to now. And yep, absolutely what I spelled out is exactly what happens in a depression (unemployment numbers may vary).

If you read my other posts, I dont think were headed for a depression either, but your post suggested that even in a depression, you cant be poorer. Nothing to do with the storylines of rubbish 'current affairs' programs.

That last bit I cant disagree with at all, no-one in Aus has any excuse to think they are dirt poor, not by world standards anyway. However in a depression, that will change.
So we pretty much agree
So who, or why are people talking up a depression? What is to be gained from promoting doom, gloom, and fear? (actually, don't answer that - I think it is pretty much clear who is doing that).
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 08-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #69
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
I really wonder what hope we have, given the message promoted by govco and big business that we need to spend to be happy and prosper. I think far greater pleasure comes from modest activities such as having friends or family around for a home cooked meal.
Says the guy with an xa coupe, a gtp, a turbo and a pajero
Old 08-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #70
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedXT
Says the guy with an xa coupe, a gtp, a turbo and a pajero
Yep - I did without smokes, pokies, alcohol, eating out at restuarants etc for many years. I still don't have a big TV, Austar, eat out more than once a month, go on overseas holidays, buy expensive clothes or jewelry for the missus. We live within our means - that is the message I have been trying to get out. I lived in cruddy rental homes while we scrimped and saved for our first and only house, then put every spare dollar into paying it off. We bought a house that was within our means to repay no matter what happened in the economy. We did not have a tiny 2% margin of error. We did not use credit cards. We bought home brand foods. We resisted the urge to buy new furniture.
The xr6t, pajero and gtp were all purchased through our business, which we work in 6 days a week. When our financial advisor suggested margin loans we refused. We resisted the urge to go with the crowd and the lure of easy money.
Now - we are in a very comfortable position. I am back at uni studying medicine full time. The kids go to private school. I having another 4 car shed built for my next project. But we are living within our means. I think the description they use is "delayed gratification" for when you do without now so that you can benefit later. It's a term that is forgotten when we are sold the idea that posessions make us happy. Buy now, pay later. The economy is suffereing form this mind-set. We are paying now for what we bought earlier on, except nobody wants to foot the bill...
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 08-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #71
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have put off all plans of buying a place. I am looking for new ways to secure the money I have saved...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #72
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Yep - I did without smokes, pokies, alcohol, eating out at restuarants etc for many years. I still don't have a big TV, Austar, eat out more than once a month, go on overseas holidays, buy expensive clothes or jewelry for the missus. We live within our means - that is the message I have been trying to get out. I lived in cruddy rental homes while we scrimped and saved for our first and only house, then put every spare dollar into paying it off. We bought a house that was within our means to repay no matter what happened in the economy. We did not have a tiny 2% margin of error. We did not use credit cards. We bought home brand foods. We resisted the urge to buy new furniture.
The xr6t, pajero and gtp were all purchased through our business, which we work in 6 days a week. When our financial advisor suggested margin loans we refused. We resisted the urge to go with the crowd and the lure of easy money.
Now - we are in a very comfortable position. I am back at uni studying medicine full time. The kids go to private school. I having another 4 car shed built for my next project. But we are living within our means. I think the description they use is "delayed gratification" for when you do without now so that you can benefit later. It's a term that is forgotten when we are sold the idea that posessions make us happy. Buy now, pay later. The economy is suffereing form this mind-set. We are paying now for what we bought earlier on, except nobody wants to foot the bill...
Its OK Mate i was just stirring - Personally i have no issue with credit used plenty of it in the past to get things i wanted if it suited me at the time. If i could get the car i wanted now and pay it off in 12 months instead of waiting a year and saving i did it.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #73
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I have put off all plans of buying a place. I am looking for new ways to secure the money I have saved...
Unless you're concerned about stability of your employment that is an example of the attitude that WILL send us into a financial hole.

People need to keep spending money to keep the economy alive.

There is no logical reason to avoid buying your first home unless you've got unstable employment or are borderline to over committing yourself.

Even if homes drop back a bit they will recover and appreciate long term.

People need to continue on with their lives and keep a positive attitude, a negative attitude will actually BE the cause of this to happen in Australia to a very large degree, not what happens in America...
Old 08-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #74
StrokedXT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
Unless you're concerned about stability of your employment that is an example of the attitude that WILL send us into a financial hole.

People need to keep spending money to keep the economy alive.

There is no logical reason to avoid buying your first home unless you've got unstable employment or are borderline to over committing yourself.

Even if homes drop back a bit they will recover and appreciate long term.

People need to continue on with their lives and keep a positive attitude, a negative attitude will actually BE the cause of this to happen in Australia to a very large degree, not what happens in America...
So your advice is he buys a house in one of the most overpriced markets in the world that is due for a big correction in the very near future? Personally i would wait until we see what happens then hopefully get in and buy a bargain.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #75
Scott

Quote:
Maybe, just maybe they know what they are doing.
That I have no doubt of.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #76
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NZ futures open 2% lower... a crystal bakll into the fate of the markets, as NZ is the first market to open

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-08-0...rading/2828800

Quote:
The New Zealand stock market opened more than 2 per cent lower and the US futures index plunged this morning as investors reacted to the global financial turmoil.

Futures trading for the Dow Jones Industrial Average, the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq all fell more than 2.5 per cent this morning after Standard and Poor's decision to downgrade the US's credit rating.

The fall suggests some sharp losses when the physical market opens in the US tonight (Australian time).

In Australian futures trading, the ASX Share Price Index 200 is down five points to 4,045, indicating losses of just 0.1 per cent when the Australian market opens this morning.

Twin debt crises in Europe and the United States are causing global market turmoil and stoking fears of the rich world sliding back into recession.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:14 AM   #77
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
People talking up depression and the negative everything attitude that Abbott and his minions are talking about will be the main thing that drives this country into recession, they will take us into one even if we shouldn't be in one with their scare tactics. They don't care, only power is important to them, same as all modern day politicians, it is not about what is good for the country, only what is good for them.

So what you're saying is Tony Abbott spent the 20 billion surplus, borrowed over 250 billion from China to waste on stupid projects like pink batts, BER, NBN and other non necessities? So it's also Abbott threatening the only booming part of our economy with a new resources rent tax, and scaring the populace with an all encompassing consumption tax?

Hmm. I thought the idiots in power now who pork barrelled and made deals with anyone desperate to cling to power were responsible. I suppose we've found one of the 26% of Aussies who would vote for more of the same waste, mismanagement, erosion of rights; standard of living and lies.

Quote: