Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2017, 09:40 PM   #31
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Car yard frustrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypzy View Post
About 5 years ago my missus went to get some milk and bread. It was a Friday. She returned in a Mazda Astina 2001. The car salesman said take it for the weekend and bring it back on Monday. As soon as she turned up at home with it, i knew it was sold! Can't argue with the missus when she has a smile from ear to ear!
Thats classic "puppy love" closing technique ..
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #32
wicko

Similar story - I was out looking for the son's first car. Just needed something cheap and reliable. Dealer let me take it for a drive, but wouldn't start negotiating on the price until I'd put $1000 deposit down. Basically said I'll do the deal and pay for it now but I'm not putting $1000 on the table to work out what price I'll pay for it. Salesman was adamant that was the way it's done. I walked.

Much better experience when I bought another 2nd hand car for myself about 2 yrs ago - was through a dealer. No hard sell - the guy has been there for ages and gets repeat and word of mouth business because he looks after people (even though he can't do anything without talking to the 'boss')

Best one I've heard of and I got this first hand from the person who was doing the deal. Tradie walks into a dealership (in his work gear) and all the sales staff are sitting around doing nothing. After checking out a ute, he goes up to one of the sales guys and wants to talk about buying the ute on the floor. Reply was they were pretty busy at the moment and he'd have to make an appointment for Saturday. Tradie makes appointment - then goes to another dealer (different manufacturer) and buys a ute. Comes back via the first dealership in his new ute and tells them not to worry about the appointment for Saturday because he doesn't need it now.

That's karma - because he also told anyone he knew.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:58 PM   #33
paulie

Had similar experience.
Went to (i know i know swear words here) hsv dealer - had to see whats available.
And i really did like the R8 sportswagon.
(Ford should never have stopped the wagon)
So im looking at the car and nobody is bothering me. Big boss walks past and says - like its a joke

Oh checking out the cars you'd love to own before checking out the cars you can own?

F#ck no. I want to buy an R8 sportswagon but you guys are a bunch of lazy C#nts to busy to serv me.
Quick as a flash he kicked someones *** to serve me.
test drove one and said
Yep ill take a white wagon auto with leather. Get it in and ill sign away.
- yes sir easy done be in touch soon.

I waited about 4months (rang regularly too)
Went to ford and said i wanna drive a GT yep no problems.
Got back and they say what you think?
Yeah not bad but hate the colour and interior (clothe)
No worries what colour etc?
white black stripe leather etc.

Oh no sorry none avail.
so i leave.
They call me back in 2 days time.
Car will be in the show room tues next fortnight.

They ordered in specially for me just so i could "have a look".

Probably 2 months later hsv call asking if ive decided what car i wanted.
Was going thru a tunnel so dropped the windows and floored it that was my answer. Lol he's like
Whats that?
I said its ny new car bought it a few months ago you f#cked up and lost a huge sale ya w#nker.
Then hung up and cruised away haha
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2017, 10:22 PM   #34
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Dealer sells cars in roadworthy condition if registered and tyres are part of it .They would of put the cheapest chines tyres on it too :-).
DUH!!The tyres were actually quite good otherwise I would have said they needed replaced.They weren't the cheapest neither were they the dearest but they were new,which was something I wasn't expecting
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 12:25 AM   #35
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by suttoo View Post
Having a dealership ourselves I cringe at what you guys are saying. Being in the country I guess is a bit different, as in we know a lot of the customers, we don't have targets as its either me or the old man selling, test drives are fine (providing not a 18 year old wanting to drive new XR8) and we rarely take deposits, not even on new mustang orders, if they decide they don't want the car so be it. No pushy tactics here, and I guess that's why we have been in business nearly 37 years.
That was our experience also. City dealerships had no interest in us and wouldn't do a deal. Went to a country dealer near where we have another house. No problems with a test drive without the salesman. No problems in getting a really good chunk off the price either. That is our second new car from them and we will probably go back next time we get one. We get them to do all the servicing too and are really happy with them. In country towns dealers just have to do one shonky deal and the news is all over town. On the other hand if people are happy they will tell their mates. That is how country towns work.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 01:13 AM   #36
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was looking to buy a new car back in late 2008 I was comparing the SS Commodore to the XR6T.. Was ready to buy, etc but wanted to drive both and would buy the one I liked more.. Went to Holden, no worries sir, have a drive. It was OK, didn't feel THAT quick....

Went into the Ford dealership across the Highway and the service couldn't have been worse. I was checking one out on the lot with a mate of mine, had a sit, made sure It was comfy, and I liked the "look" and interior. Decided it was nice but just wanted to drive one as, at the time, I wanted a V8, and needed to know the I6T had the same performance (little did I know...lol). Went inside and the sales guy gave me every excuse under the sun as to why I couldn't take one for a drive.. "we don't let joyriders test drive the XR6T and XR8's but if you would like to put a deposit down we can work something out". I just said to him, respectively, "I don't buy things I cant drive, thanks for your ****ty attidude and for wasting my time, I will go elsewhere" he just smiled and went back to his colleague and had a good laugh...
Went straight to another dealer not too far away and I'll tell you, it was like chalk and cheese... They where happy for me to look around, when I was ready to drive one they apologized and said they only had them at their other dealer (I was at Mt Gravatt and the car was at Capalaba) but she would, if I wanted, drive me to the other site and we could test drive the car. I said yes and we got into a new Mondeo and went over.. I had a decent test drive of the car and fell in love with it.. Did the deal then and their, left a deposit and had my new car with a few weeks (FG's wherent out that long then and I wanted a Sensation one with the Tech Pack, 19's but no leather..lol.. picky I know). because of this brilliant service My old man bought his ranger from the same saleswoman and, until they closed, we bought another few cars from them...

As for the first Ford dealer, well me being annoyed, when I got the FG, I drove it in and had a chat to the sales manager about the horrible service and how I wasn't taken seriously and, if you look outside, you will see the FG XR6T I have just picked up from a competitor yard due to his staff members complete lack of service... I then thanked him for his time and left...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 03:21 AM   #37
KBC

What I have experienced with dealerships is they will walk on broken glass to sell you a car. After that they treat you like you owe them something, I love it when you call to speak to someone and they say sorry you cant speak to such and such he is with a customer, I kindly reply with I am a customer also! I've had a few issues with my XR8 and by god what an experience that was, I have vented a few times on other posts if you want to find out, but is it only me that has had to call them every time even thou they promise to call back? I have blasted them many times and yet it changed nothing. Im only persevering with this dealership until I get all my issues fixed and they wont see me again. Rather sad for them because I haven't finished buying new cars yet and will be looking for one for the missus in about 6- 12 months.
XD Fairmont 5.8
XB GS Coupe, no engine, future project
VG Transit, AU 5.0
TC Cortina ute, finish 1 day

I need to find a hobby
KBC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #38
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting stories. I’ve never had anything unsavoury happen during my car buying adventures.

In 2003 I decided it was time to buy a CV8. I saw the prototype at the Sydney Motor Show, had a good look around them at a GMH pre-release viewing, and made a decision that I had to have one, one day. No test drive needed, I had a VT Commodore, and after all they were ‘only a 2 door Commodore’

One Friday, I saw a newspaper advert by a large Sydney dealer that they had 12 in stock at very good, below RRP, drive away prices. Quick phone call, “Yep, that’s what we have.”
Armed with advert and knowledge, I made a lunch time visit to the local, very large regional Holden dealer that I had bought from a number of times in the past, and plonked my backside in their CV8 showroom example. A female sales-person eventually noticed me.
“ Hello. Comfortable in there? Not bad are they.”
“ Yeah, I’m sitting .... thinking”
“ They are a bit of a d**k-head magnet”
“ Ahhhh ..... What?”
“ Yeah. D**k-heads are always coming in, sitting in it, and wanting to talk about it”
“ Well, I’m not one of them. I’m here to buy. What deal can you do?”
“ We don’t do deals. Besides, we can’t get any, this is the sales manager personal car”
I showed her the newspaper clipping, and a short, rather curt conversation .... “Well, you had better go to Sydney” ... end of short, curt conversation.

Another phone call to Sydney. Said I wanted this colour, with that interior, and those wheels. Reached agreement on change-over with trade-in, GM card rebate.
Drove 300km Saturday morning, signed order as per phone call, picked up new car Tuesday. Very happy customer. Even got a matching Biante 1.18 model free.
I couldn’t be bothered to go back to local dealer to say “ Nah, nah, nah” and even drove to Sydney to have the scheduled services done by the selling dealer.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 12:27 PM   #39
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Heres one from the other side of the fence where the car yard was left frustrated...

Many moons ago, I was living in NSW with my Brother and his Wife when he received an invitation from the HSV Dealer at Liverpool to come to their big sale of HSV's.
We roll in and take a few different models for a spin before they settled on a Senator.
So were sitting in the sales office, the salesman is writing up the contract when my Brother turns to me and asks what I think of the car they've picked out.
I say its nice but if it were me i'd be giving the new Fords a look before dropping that much on a Holden.
Well you should have seen the look on the salesman's face when my Brothers Wife says that her Father loved his Fairlanes.
So negotiations stopped and we left Liverpool headed for the Ford Dealer at Campbeltown near where we were living.
A few weeks later they took delivery of a 5.0l NL Concorde
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #40
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverrat321 View Post
The young sales guy I was with was good and laid back.
Oldest trick in the book. They act relaxed at first to sus you out. If you respond in a relaxed fashion, tey figure they can bully you.
Only way is to act like a bigger a_hole then them.
If you are talking to them for the first time, be gruff, unfriendly, and impatient. If they send the young bloke out to you, call him "sonny" and ask to speak with his Dad.

The utterly stupid thing is that the ruder you are, the nicer they will be.

Best way is to make contact by phone or email first. Be abrupt, impatient, never reply quickly. Tell them you have no time, and they need to bring the car to you for a test drive.

You've heard the old saying that "you get more Bees with Honey"? Well with car-salesmen, you need to use pesticide.

Now having said all that, be prepared. There are many dealers out there who simply aren't interested, once they realise you're not a pushover and won't be ripped off. They prey on gullible fools, and won't waste their time if you're not.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #41
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I recently went shopping for my daughter's NEW car, I was initially astonished at just how many dealers were not even interested.
In Perth, there were IIRC 9 dealers around the city. Some literally never even got back to me. A couple threw out a price without much enthusiasm. Only two dealers actually went after our business.

But when you think about it, its simple. When you approach by email, some immediately figure you're not a complete rube and so they will never get your business, and don't even bother. Others will make the initial effort, but once it becomes clear you're shopping around, they also realise they'll never win.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #42
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Oldest trick in the book. They act relaxed at first to sus you out. If you respond in a relaxed fashion, tey figure they can bully you.
If you are talking to them for the first time, be gruff, unfriendly, and impatient. If they send the young bloke out to you, call him "sonny" and ask to speak with his Dad.

Best way is to make contact by phone or email first. Be abrupt, impatient, never reply quickly. Tell them you have no time, and they need to bring the car to you for a test drive.

You've heard the old saying that "you get more Bees with Honey"? Well with car-salesmen, you need to use pesticide.

Now having said all that, be prepared. There are many dealers out there who simply aren't interested, once they realise you're not a pushover and won't be ripped off. They prey on gullible fools, and won't waste their time if you're not.
Mate, I sold cars for fifteen years and if you had spoken to me like that I would have told you to **** off.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #43
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
When I recently went shopping for my daughter's NEW car, I was initially astonished at just how many dealers were not even interested.
In Perth, there were IIRC 9 dealers around the city. Some literally never even got back to me. A couple threw out a price without much enthusiasm. Only two dealers actually went after our business.

But when you think about it, its simple. When you approach by email, some immediately figure you're not a complete rube and so they will never get your business, and don't even bother. Others will make the initial effort, but once it becomes clear you're shopping around, they also realise they'll never win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz

After reading these two posts I just wonder if the sales guys thought you were just another tyre kicker wasting their time!

Honestly being rude does not get you any where, you show respect & courtesy & you might just get it in return.
I have had some great deals with my local ford dealer over the years, never been pressured in any way, it comes down to the way you conduct yourself in negotiations.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2017, 10:02 PM   #44
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I have had some great deals with my local ford dealer over the years, never been pressured in any way, it comes down to the way you conduct yourself in negotiations.
We bought two new cars from different dealerships at the end of last financial year.

Even though the dealers (GMH and Ford) did things a bit differently we were treated with courtesy and respect by both.

It helps to have a bottom line and not require finance. From there it was plain sailing (got the Holden at my cut off point and had to kick in an extra $500 for the Kuga (but wanted out of my wife's Focus before trans problems).

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2017, 10:10 PM   #45
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Bought a new Fiesta ST mid last year just before the end of financial year. I actually was 'only looking' and hadn't really decided between a Fiesta ST (new) or Focus ST (second-hand)...ended up driving away in their in-stock ST

The timing was right, price was...ok (was more ok when I pointed out their first 'drive-away' price was fairly high compared to other in-stock cars at other dealers in a 100km radius).

I didn't get a great deal for my trade-in, $6.5k for a 2010 (2011 first-registered) LV MKII TDCi Focus with ~110k on the clock but they were very keen, but only because of the date I am thinking...

The issue I normally have is that I am pretty much Mr Invisible. Short early-50s Mr Average Guy. Fairly quiet unless you really pee me off. Normally they glance at me and don't even bother looking up again....except now I have bought a car at the dealer they all seem to take notice and it's like bees and honey now...even when I'm hanging around waiting for my car to be serviced.

Went into Peter Stevens three times in four days in late 2015 and looked at motorbikes. Couldn't even get a sales guy off his chair. Went next door and rode away on a Yamaha MT-07...

...same in their Accessories area. Wander around, I'm the only guy in the shop, Sales people are all talking to each other...nothing. Pull apart all their displays looking for the right size jacket, still nothing. Find my own size and take it up to the counter and the sales girl looks at me like I offered her a dead beaver and says "can I help you?'....

...well the shop is empty, you're standing in front of a cash register, I'm carrying a new motorcycle jacket which I haven't paid for...yeah, probably what do you reckon

Last edited by Ratmick; 02-04-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 12:16 AM   #46
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What is the difference between a used car salesman and a catfish??

One is a slimy bottom feeding waste of space the other is a fish.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 12:23 AM   #47
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
What is the difference between a used car salesman and a catfish??

One is a slimy bottom feeding waste of space the other is a fish.
Sometimes you come across someone trying to make an honest living. It happens on the odd occasion. It provokes repeat business also.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #48
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Sometimes you come across someone trying to make an honest living. It happens on the odd occasion. It provokes repeat business also.
I am not too far off my 50th birthday and have bought and sold and traded my fair share of cars over the last 35 years, I am yet to find this rare individual you speak off.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 01:00 AM   #49
Kicking back

They're the unicorn
Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #50
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Honestly being rude does not get you any where, you show respect & courtesy & you might just get it in return.
This doesn't just apply to car dealers, It applies in life. Probably a lesson a few of us could benefit from learning.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #51
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
I am not too far off my 50th birthday and have bought and sold and traded my fair share of cars over the last 35 years, I am yet to find this rare individual you speak off.
So are you in the first or second category?.If you can't even see one in the mirror you must be in the first lot
Old 03-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #52
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

When you buy your first car you're going to get ripped off.

That's one of life's rules.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM   #53
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
When you buy your first car you're going to get ripped off.

That's one of life's rules.
Even if it was free?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 10:34 AM   #54
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Even if it was free?
If it's a pos, it's probably cheaper to buy a car
Old 03-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #55
paulie

If its free you didnt "buy" it.

But disagree. My 1st car was awesome. Still have it in my shed.
paulie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #56
Bayson
Banned

if you have to buy used, look for a one owner private car with documented history. A little bit more expensive now but in the long run far cheaper.
Bayson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #57
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post

The issue I normally have is that I am pretty much Mr Invisible. Short early-50s Mr Average Guy. Fairly quiet unless you really pee me off. Normally they glance at me and don't even bother looking up again....except now I have bought a car at the dealer they all seem to take notice and it's like bees and honey now...even when I'm hanging around waiting for my car to be serviced.
Yeah I've had that too.
Went to a 'classic' shop to look at a Charger with a friend, he works hard and his goal is to own one of each Ford, Holden and Val coupes. We were in boadies and flano's as usual. The salesman comes up and tells us we're welcome to look "Just don't touch it" He catches a glance of the HQ Monaro we arrived in and starts asking the other people in the shop if its theirs. After a couple of no's he finally looks back at us grinning at him. He got told he could have a look but not to touch it...

Same at Ford, toyed with the idea of a new RS, went to the showroom for some info on specs and options and was bluntly told "you'll just have to place
an order" Peeved I went back with the old RS and parked it sideways across the front of the forecourt. They were falling over themselves too help. I think the moral here is not to judge a book by its cover...
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 12:15 PM   #58
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayson View Post
if you have to buy used, look for a one owner private car with documented history. A little bit more expensive now but in the long run far cheaper.
But what about all the private selles who are trying to unload a problem that the dealer picked up when evaluating a trade in price.From my experience there are many times more private seller crooks than crooked car yards.Generally car yards will look after the buyer a little bit,private sellers say stiff it's your problem now.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #59
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

The last two cars from the local dealer have been quite easy sales. I have price and i dont budge (i dont low ball and they can try to lowball but they soon change their tune)

There was a toyota dealer next to the ford one i bought my ute from and they played the bs. I guess they missed out as went and bought a terry two months later (when we found what we wanted).

I did have a ford dealer (on the east side) start playing the hard sell on me back in the day and i started just wasting their time.

Selling to me is simple treat me with respect and if im happy with the price and product the deal will get done. Normally im pretty ready to buy if im talking to a salesman.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #60
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I've had experiences from both ends of the spectrum!

One on Paramatta Rd, I got to the point that I expected someone to pull a knife cause I decided that their trade and changeover price was just plain crazy (which it was... they tried to sell me a 250,000km EF GLi for almost the price of a brand new EL XR6). They tried every intimidating technique they could, even bringing in some unsavoury security looking guy to stand in the door way with the door locked! Last Australian fleet sales yard I'll go to!

To the other extreme, where there is a brilliant guy to deal with in Newcastle. He's wasn't technically a sales guy when I first met him, but the guy who looked after, identified problems and had things repaired after trades, and drop offs of ex fleet cars (fleet company). I couldn't get service from guys in suits, as there happened to be a few customers in at once. So this guy (Adam) approached me and we got talking about Falcons (which he is a fan), so he said that he happy to talk me through my options. By then all the other customers had left and the suits went back into their air con, whilst we continued to talk. About an hour later Adam had explained the little stickers that dealers sometimes use to identify cars that are new to the lot, been there an acceptable amount of time and the ones that just haven't moved in months. We found two BAs that had been there forever and were close to my budget and I was happy to test drive and negotiate.

I guess the suits decided that since I'd been there for 2 hours and driven 2 cars they'd come out and close the deal. Adam told them to go back inside and leave him alone. Once they left we negotiated and then he went inside to confirm with the boss. The boss wasn't pleased by the offer and decided to come out and try and renegotiate, but Adam went into bat for me! Even telling his boss at one point he was being stupid as the car i wanted had been moved through 2 sister dealers unsold and had been sitting in their lot for 3 months. We finally did the deal and the next day I came back with the bank cheque (we finished negotiating at about 6.30pm!). Adam called me over to his shed after the payment was made and documents signed, and loaded me up with every single cover, mat etc he had of my choosing.

I've then sent 4 friends to them and my brother and he alone has sold over 6 cars to my connections in a handful of years. I've not bought more than one personally, but I'll drop in every now and again, we'll talk and chat cars for about 10. He's also gotten online to look at GTs/F6s (when i was looking for my current F6) and see what their wholesale price was (if it had any record of one) so I had more info about what each car was worth.

I did go back once as a potential customer as my wife was interested in upgrading her BA V8 Ghia to an FG G6E. He straight away said as a family and friends price he give me 8K off the marked price of a beautiful G6E in luscious with cream interior and all the options. The only reason we didn't go for it was because my wife couldn't give up the idea of a V8 rumble, and in hindsight it was ok as we were promoted to an overseas position a month or two later.

But will be going back when we move home!

Dealers, new/used, country/city family owned or even big groups, it comes down to each individual's attitudes. I've had way more terrible experiences than good, but at the end of the day is the people that make or break the buying experience. Find a good person to deal with, ignore the rubbish dealers pedal about getting honest, family blah blah. Find a person in a dealership​ that treats you well.

But sometimes the biggest issue is you want a rare car and the dealer/private person selling is the biggest hurdle. That makes buying your dream car a pain in the butt!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build

Last edited by Mr Brooksy; 03-04-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post