Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-04-2017, 11:25 PM   #91
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Car yard frustrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro142 View Post
That comment takes me back to 1969, and my first new car purchase.

I went in to a Holden Dealer in Melbourne to get a changeover price on trading my 9 year old FC Holden on a new Monaro - no, not a GTS 327, but a humble bog standard base model with 3 on the tree!

I was sitting at a desk opposite 2 salesmen, and as we chatted, one of them was "filling out my details" on a form. After he had completed the form, he smoothly spun it around on the desk to face me, and nonchalantly said "just sign here" it's just a form "to authorise us to check out your trade-in".

Well bullshoes, it was actually a contract of sale, with me agreeing to purchase that new Monaro at full retail with a trade-in "to be advised"!!!

Luckily I had the nous to read it before signing, and hightailed it out of there with the salesmen abusing me. I bought a new Monaro elsewhere.

Those were really the bad old days of car salesmen.
I learned a lesson that day that has served me well ever since!
I wonder if it was Syd Ellis or Arthur Ellis, their sales people were little devils pulling those type of stunts....lol
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #92
flightstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro142 View Post
That comment takes me back to 1969, and my first new car purchase.

I went in to a Holden Dealer in Melbourne to get a changeover price on trading my 9 year old FC Holden on a new Monaro - no, not a GTS 327, but a humble bog standard base model with 3 on the tree!

I was sitting at a desk opposite 2 salesmen, and as we chatted, one of them was "filling out my details" on a form. After he had completed the form, he smoothly spun it around on the desk to face me, and nonchalantly said "just sign here" it's just a form "to authorise us to check out your trade-in".

Well bullshoes, it was actually a contract of sale, with me agreeing to purchase that new Monaro at full retail with a trade-in "to be advised"!!!

Luckily I had the nous to read it before signing, and hightailed it out of there with the salesmen abusing me. I bought a new Monaro elsewhere.

Those were really the bad old days of car salesmen.
I learned a lesson that day that has served me well ever since!
My mother has just bought herself a new car (Holden Trax ) But she did go and check out a few Fords. Apparently they tried to get her to sign "a form" before they'd let her take one out for a test drive. Dad noticed it wasn't an agreement about the test drive, it was a contract of sale. They walked.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2017, 10:18 PM   #93
cro142

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstrike View Post
My mother has just bought herself a new car (Holden Trax ) But she did go and check out a few Fords. Apparently they tried to get her to sign "a form" before they'd let her take one out for a test drive. Dad noticed it wasn't an agreement about the test drive, it was a contract of sale. They walked.
OMG - it looks like this old trick is still going on. Hard to believe it!

Maybe there is a manual of how to close deals that includes this approach!
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 12:57 AM   #94
wobblysauce
316,500km

For me, any car gotten from a used yard. Gave me no labour cost for the two years, if something was to be fixed, 5 free services.

Was going for the Barra 1,000,000km... but was cut short, time to reset the clock.
wobblysauce is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #95
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Yeah I've had that too.
Went to a 'classic' shop to look at a Charger with a friend, he works hard and his goal is to own one of each Ford, Holden and Val coupes. We were in boadies and flano's as usual. The salesman comes up and tells us we're welcome to look "Just don't touch it" He catches a glance of the HQ Monaro we arrived in and starts asking the other people in the shop if its theirs. After a couple of no's he finally looks back at us grinning at him. He got told he could have a look but not to touch it...

Same at Ford, toyed with the idea of a new RS, went to the showroom for some info on specs and options and was bluntly told "you'll just have to place
an order" Peeved I went back with the old RS and parked it sideways across the front of the forecourt. They were falling over themselves too help. I think the moral here is not to judge a book by its cover...
I do exactly the same thing.
When I walk into a yard to buy a new car I make a point of wearing a singlet, boardies and thongs.
If you saw how skinny I was you'd understand how ludicrous that looks.

It works though, I buy from the salesman who approaches me first.

I hate how society works on perception. I recently deposited a substantial sum in the bank, so I walk in and it's mr xxx how can I help? You can't, serve the old lady first who was here before me... It stinks.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 03:02 PM   #96
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been toying with the idea of trading my ute. Spoke to a salesman today regarding an F6E. Although i can recognise that business exists to make money, but why do many salesman lend themselves to use tactics which blur lines of lies and deceit?

I explained that i know the ford 4.0t range enough to know what i want. Explained I'm after a 5 seater 4.0t with leather. I acknowledged the quality and prestige of F6E's hence their price. He lost me when he said F6E's are so rare that there has been none for sale in the last 365 days. Sorry, but that doesn't fly with me.

Maybe it works on some people, leading them to believe that it works with everyone? Does the industry really lack such professionalism? I know there is decent salesman out there but it does seem saturated with 'Johnson's' giving it a bad name.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 03:43 PM   #97
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Been toying with the idea of trading my ute. Spoke to a salesman today regarding an F6E. Although i can recognise that business exists to make money, but why do many salesman lend themselves to use tactics which blur lines of lies and deceit?

I explained that i know the ford 4.0t range enough to know what i want. Explained I'm after a 5 seater 4.0t with leather. I acknowledged the quality and prestige of F6E's hence their price. He lost me when he said F6E's are so rare that there has been none for sale in the last 365 days. Sorry, but that doesn't fly with me.

Maybe it works on some people, leading them to believe that it works with everyone? Does the industry really lack such professionalism? I know there is decent salesman out there but it does seem saturated with 'Johnson's' giving it a bad name.
And they justify their conduct by all agreeing "buyers are liars".

I don't trust anyone (or at least don't take what they say at face value) who is about to receive a large sum of money from me.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2017, 03:54 PM   #98
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Went to two Mazda dealerships last weekend.

First was a Sydney based (well inner west) and had the usual salesmen etc in suits and ties.

Weren't willing to help, had the normal pressure of go see our finance guy, see what we can do, blah blah.

Then drove out to Blue Mountains, and the dealer was a bloke in a hoodie, t shirt and jeans, simply said what would you guys need to buy, we told him, we basically agreed within a few minutes.

Then we had a chat about his cars etc.

Was so simple, stress free and actually enjoyable. Not an experience I was expecting. And yes it is an hour away, but I'll tell anyone I know looking for a Mazda (or a used car) to 100% check him out.

Granted I'll reserve full judgement until the car is in my garage, but it just showed that there doesn't have to be games played. If both parties can just be upfront and honest, it's all too easy.
Old 23-06-2017, 04:24 PM   #99
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
. He lost me when he said F6E's are so rare that there has been none for sale in the last 365 days. .
http://www.carsales.com.au/car/fordp...rcx=makemodel&

Obviously try to sell you some thing else that he has in stock.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #100
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
http://www.carsales.com.au/car/fordp...rcx=makemodel&

Obviously try to sell you some thing else that he has in stock.
Oh I'm aware that plenty have been for sale in the past 12 months; hence my rant. Although he did distinguish 2011, but even still grasping at straws to claim truthfulness based on year. I'd have to be naive to consider no 2011 F6E's have been for sale in the past 12 months.

Current
Previous

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 23-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #101
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing all these stories, when we were looking for a 4wd years ago went through similar crap. Went to a yard to look at an 80 series,checked it out then salesman comes over all cocky. Told him we're looking for a turbo diesel,no trade cash deal. Asked if we could take it for a test drive as we were interested in it, reply was only test drive if we agree to buy it as they all drive the same? Told him I wasn't buying a $20k car without driving it first, got no response so said ok see you later. went to another yard and the guy couldn't have offered anymore for a test drive but as we weren't really keen on it told him I won't waste your time mate. cant see the point in stuffing around just because you can
Old 23-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #102
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Stating the obvious here, I know ... But just a reminder to anyone looking to buy a new car.

Next week is probably your best chance of getting a great deal for the rest of this year... Not only end of the month, but of course end of financial year.

Sales staff not only need to get their monthly budgets, but dealer principals need to get their annual targets for manufacturer annual incentive bonuses, etc.

Next week... You the buyer are in the box seat and many car dealers are more likely to accept your offer and terms.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2017, 05:31 PM   #103
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just want to hear others opinions.

Although id prefer no debt, and another FPV, I enquired about a 2010 G6ET and trading in my ute. The G6E is stock with 84000kms. My modified BFII F6 has the same kms. They're offering approx. 16k in on a 21k car. Id prefer FPV for the elitism, styling and the brakes. Then again the G6E would be a more than capable family car - leather for the skid in the back, with gps and climate control.

Although i know it is my choice, just seeing what other people think about this deal?

Current
Previous

Last edited by raised by monkeys; 24-06-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 24-06-2017, 08:57 PM   #104
Kempe

Car yard practices really are archaic, they should drag themselves into this century and empower their salespeople with the ability to close a sale and not run off to the manager all the time for approval
You just know that whatever the first offer is gets declined by the manager, its stupid
I want to buy a new car but really have hesitated because of the way they operate
Kempe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #105
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Just want to hear others opinions.

Although id prefer no debt, and another FPV, I enquired about a 2010 G6ET and trading in my ute. The G6E is stock with 84000kms. My modified BFII F6 has the same kms. They're offering approx. 16k in on a 21k car. Id prefer FPV for the elitism, styling and the brakes. Then again the G6E would be a more than capable family car - leather for the skid in the back, with gps and climate control.

Although i know it is my choice, just seeing what other people think about this deal?
RBM,

Your first two statements tell me you don't want the G6E. The rest of your post sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that you do.

If you give a car to a car yard and then take a car from a car yard, you provide them two profit making opportunities you are paying for.

Sell yours privately and but the G6E with cash, no trade.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2017, 10:19 PM   #106
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempe View Post
Car yard practices really are archaic, they should drag themselves into this century and empower their salespeople with the ability to close a sale and not run off to the manager all the time for approval
You just know that whatever the first offer is gets declined by the manager, its stupid
I want to buy a new car but really have hesitated because of the way they operate
I'd say it's a tactic. Take a crying kid with you and a reasonable changeover price. If you say your gonna walk cause of the kid they wanna settle the deal quickly.

Mind you the I dealt with the manager when I bought the g6e so didn't take to long.
Old 26-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #107
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
RBM,

Your first two statements tell me you don't want the G6E. The rest of your post sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that you do.

If you give a car to a car yard and then take a car from a car yard, you provide them two profit making opportunities you are paying for.

Sell yours privately and but the G6E with cash, no trade.
I would agree largely.

However, i have had my car up for sale privately for the best part of 6 months. As the date for our baby born moves closer, the car isn't getting newer and the kms are climbing as i don't have a work car anymore. Bad climate in SA for selling cars atm too i think; which is why i considered something i wouldn't have previously. Might try and stick it out a little longer, but will need a 5 seater pretty soon.

Current
Previous

Old 26-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #108
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
Stating the obvious here, I know ... But just a reminder to anyone looking to buy a new car.

Next week is probably your best chance of getting a great deal for the rest of this year... Not only end of the month, but of course end of financial year.

Sales staff not only need to get their monthly budgets, but dealer principals need to get their annual targets for manufacturer annual incentive bonuses, etc.

Next week... You the buyer are in the box seat and many car dealers are more likely to accept your offer and terms.
Yep.

We bought my new Calais V for me and a new Kuga Trend for my wife at the end of last financial year.

Based on what we saw for the few months prior to eofy we saved somewhere around $10K.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #109
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We helped our eldest daughter buy a Mazda 2 Neo sedan earlier this year from Penrith Mazda. Her first car.

Salesman in particular, and dealership in general, were great to deal with.

A week ago we traded in our 2013 Focus Titanium for an Escape Trend. This was a demo. It came with the powered tailgate and the Tech Pack, front and rear cameras, tinting, floor mats, etc. The bottom has fallen out of Focus resale values with the class action and well known (now) transmission issues. My wife hated driving the Focus.

This was at Sinclair Ford, we've bought a few cars from them over the years, and they were a pleasure to deal with too.

Both of these are local dealers for us so win/win I'd say!
Old 26-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #110
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post

End of financial year means little dealerships work in 1/4s,your on the right track but....best time to buy is within the last few days of a 1/4 simple as that.
Old 27-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #111
JET62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
End of financial year means little dealerships work in 1/4s,your on the right track but....best time to buy is within the last few days of a 1/4 simple as that.
When I was selling January was dead for sales, salesmen were desperate for their monthly commission.
Old 27-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #112
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was an interesting article in yesterday's Courier Mail (Qld) predicting the decline of the Moorooka 'magic mile', a strip of car dealerships somewhat akin to Parramatta Road in Sydney.

The gist was customers are now price-focused and shopping their cars online, while the car yards were facing rising rents due to their land value increasing, with developers starting to take an interest in the area.

The same sort of thing will apply to other parts of the country, and may have the ability to shake the industry up a little - it might become more efficient, etc.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #113
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recent Toyota Dealership experience western Sydney.

Trade in our Ford for the New Toyota.
Agreed and signed contract.
We then spoke with the in laws who wanted our trade in car and would give us 2K more for it than dealer had offered.
Ok went back to dealer and explained, They then come out with the Contract and explain that our trade in was part of the deal , and to not go ahead would cost us $800.00 .. I told them you don't own our trade in we do, and we are still driving it until new car arrives!
I said to charge me for a car we own and forget the new car deal, and you guessed it under the contract we get charged another $2000 for pulling out of the deal.

Anyway they relented on the trade in BS, But our experience of buying a new car totally sucks with Toyota.
Hemihunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 12:12 PM   #114
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemihunter View Post
Recent Toyota Dealership experience western Sydney.

Trade in our Ford for the New Toyota.
Agreed and signed contract.
We then spoke with the in laws who wanted our trade in car and would give us 2K more for it than dealer had offered.
Ok went back to dealer and explained, They then come out with the Contract and explain that our trade in was part of the deal , and to not go ahead would cost us $800.00 .. I told them you don't own our trade in we do, and we are still driving it until new car arrives!
I said to charge me for a car we own and forget the new car deal, and you guessed it under the contract we get charged another $2000 for pulling out of the deal.

Anyway they relented on the trade in BS, But our experience of buying a new car totally sucks with Toyota.
Thats not the yards issue at all.
Its 100% yours.
Your made and signed a deal. Its a legally binding contract and then you wanted to break it. No dice.
Would you allow the yard to sell the car your getting to someone else because they were offered more money? Dont think so.
Its people like you that nearly make me feel sorry for salespeople in a yard.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #115
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What them wanting to charge me $800 for I car I still own and drive...
Its people like you that work in car sales yards.
Old 27-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #116
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
But you signed a contract that included the trade in on the price of your new car.

If you then refuse to use the trade in you've broken the contract.
Old 27-06-2017, 12:59 PM   #117
Hemihunter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah , and it was 1 day later we returned.
Old 27-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #118
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

The problem being from their point of view may have been they cut the price of the new car right down to get the deal. Take the trade out of the equation and it totally changes how much they could make out of the deal.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #119
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's a car that typically attracts joy riders, dealerships will often want some sort of sign that you are serious. That's pretty normal. You might offend a serious buyer until the serious buyer realizes the car he or she is looking at has been protected from joyriders.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #120
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Open your eyes.
You signed a contract that you agreed to sell the car to them!
I dont work in a car yard. I cant deal with stupid people. I would not be able to handle you.
Would you be ok with the yard if they decided overnight to make your toymotor $800 dearer because they wanted to or would you be waving the signed contract under their nose telling them no way?
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: