Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Cool 2.0L TDCI fuel filter change

I just did the ole girls fuel filter, and thought I'd share my experience. After reading what others have done and had made to do the job. It wasn't without hiccups the first time around but will be no longer regarded as unknown and I'll have a extra backup if it doesn't go the first time around. I had time to spare today, so instead of twiddling my thumbs I thought I'd get a head start.

Tools I used:
18mm spanner
15" adjustable wrench
3mm joiner tube- 90c Bunnings http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/EASlT.jpg
12L Oblong wash basin- $6 Big W
Orcon Multi-Use Fluid & Air Pump- $20.75 Stupidcheap (didn't really need but will have a use for it) http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/Tgl0E.jpg
Wheel chock/floor jack/stands (usual std kit)

I put the 3mm joiner tube on the bleed nipple and backed off the bleed nut. Loved the joiner as I made no mess what so ever. I did notice when the fuel stopped there must have been more so i finger screwed it in and out again and indeed more came, you can also get away with later on removing the whole bleed nut. When that was done 15" adjustable wrench removed the lower fuel bowel with no issue. Out came the filter.

Replaced the filter, cleaned and replaced the seal in the lower bowel done ski...

Setting up the vehicle actually took longer than the filter c/o.

Now for the fuel bleeding:

I initially went for the fuel return line to pull the fuel up to. This turned out to be less successful . The Orcon pump I bought fitted perfectly to the return hose but it collapses all to easy. Whilst some fuel came out it wasn't what I'd call significant.

I then remembered the Jar and Bike pump hose mod someone did here in the Forums. Well wouldn't ya know, the Orcon pump has such a hose and fitting. Thankfully the hose is thick walled and perfect for the quick release fitting, but the fitting is of such low quality I wasn't going to chance any damage to the bleed point on the engine, and as luck would have it I have 3 bicycle pumps.

Two double cylinder foot pumps and a hand pump. The double cylinder foot pumps are press fitted on the gauge fittings so not suitable, but the hand pump is removable YAY!!!

Put that in the hose, connect it to the bleed fitting and waddya know it's pulling the fuel through piece a ****. I must have pulled about 400mls through, the fuel supply hose is clear with no air bubbles, so I try to start it.

It started and ran for 30s then dies. Okay lets do it again and I do, but it doesn't start after multiple 10s cranks. In the end I slightly cracked the three easy accessible injector lines at the rail whilst it's cranking; noticed the tiniest bit of bubbling on inj.2 but on doing inj.3 it jumps into life.

Quick wipe down inspection for leaks, all good and off the stands it goes. Replaced the Air filter whilst I was in there.

I took it to the Servo and filled it up and it took bang on 60L so I had 10L in there when doing it. Knowing it's better on the low side than full.

Next weekend it'll be smack bang on it's due service.

Last edited by cobrin; 15-09-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: pic links
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: 2.0L TDCI fuel filter change

Nice work!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
oemdenied

Default Re: 2.0L TDCI fuel filter change

next time your doing a service, after you have done your oil and filter change run the engine till shes at operating temp. Then do the fule filter as you have done but when you start it get on the throttle and give it a big blip. This will stop you from having to re bleed a few times and will prevent the air in the lines at the injectors. - ONLY do with a warm engine though.

If stuck out on the road somewhere and your trying to bleed the system ust to get you home, LIGHTLY spraying silicon spray after your maf sensor will run the engine till it draws the fuel through on its on.
but BE CAREFUL - the engine will run on just the spray and so can overrev very easily if you spray too much. short 1 second bursts is more than enough. brake cleaner also works but the practice is not advisable apart from in an emergency stuck in the middle of no where scenario
Old 30-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Yeah I kinda like CRC for those times, I feel it's a little more kind on the combustion.

after doing the engine oil I need a low profile and better floor jack, geez the 1.8t jack barely had it in her to lift the front half and needed a little more effort in the restricted space I had dayum!!!!
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
oemdenied

planks of wood on the floor mate!
Have to put a set down every time a lowered Focus RS comes in as stock height only just gets the hoist arms under.
I think snapon's bluepoint range was offering a low entry jack the other month -hit em up and see if they are still doing the offer.