Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #1
Neme
Needav8

Default CMP Fault code AU3 XR8 help

Hey guys,

Chasing a miss and have replaced/tested the whole ignition.

It used to throw a CMP (cam position sensor) fault code before it ran rough. So I'm not sure it's related, however it has me curious:

I have just fitted a brand new Motorcraft cam synchroniser as the old one was flogged out, and I also fitted a new sensor (which I'd tried on the old synchro - still got a code so replaced it too.) However, it still throws a CMP fault code. When looking at the Forscan data log it shows the circuit as a constant fault and doesn't even give an output.

What could cause this? It would have to be wiring or the ECU wouldn't it?
Old 26-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
hales231271

Default Re: CMP Fault code AU3 XR8 help

Is the code you get P0340 ?

I keep getting this code and could not work it out.
New parts , sensors but still kept throwing the code.

Don't worry about the constant forscan fault circuit error as it is not compatible with The au windsor , just check for P0340 code.

When the code occurs the injectors throw to a default batch fire timing using the crankshaft sensor resulting in a not so smooth idle.

After research I found it to be a alternator problem.USA mustang forums.
Not providing a smooth filtered regulated voltage.
The voltage spikes throwing the nasty P0340 code.

I replaced the voltage regulator on the alternator and received a nice strong 14.5V at idle and never had the P0340 code again.

You could try this?

Cheers
Dazza
Old 11-09-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
waymax
Starter Motor

I have the same issue. What is a good place to get the regulator. Are alternators a mitsubishi or bosch? Cheers
waymax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Both I6 (Model 6G) and V8 (model 4G) have Mitsubishi alternators.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by waymax View Post
I have the same issue. What is a good place to get the regulator. Are alternators a mitsubishi or bosch? Cheers
i get my regulators from this guy for all my AU's, don't get sucked in that you need a new alternator because 90% of the time it's just the regulator

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-Taur...8I4T99qddqYBSg
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 10:00 PM   #6
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Check the slip rings though, I pulled mine off to check at 200,000km and the inner slip ring was pretty badly worn, inner brush about half gone, looks like the brushes and slip rings will wear through at about the same time. They have some life left still so I will leave it for another ~50,000km then replace the whole alternator.

Do you definately have the right synchro? There are two different types sold in the US for the explorers and it's easy to buy the wrong one. The correct one has a small tab on the spinning part, the wrong (earlier) one has a half moon.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #7
waymax
Starter Motor

Hi
Just had the alternator replaced.Now running a smooth 14.5 volts with engine on. Running well only issue is the revs drop too far when put in park. I think the ecu is re learning the throttle postiions .
waymax is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2017, 04:41 PM   #8
Neme
Needav8

I forgot I had this thread as it was quiet for a while! Thanks for the info, I'll try the voltage reg as it's a cheap test and I'm refreshing all the electrics anyway.