Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-11-2014, 10:40 PM   #1
79rallypack
Starter Motor

Default WQ XR4 jumps out of 2nd gear

Hi there
I have just bought a 07 WQ Fiesta XR4 Panther Black with 100,000 on the speedo, I have noticed that when i change down to 2nd gear on a down hill run it will jump out of gear, put it back in and again it jumps out, But if i have been accelerating in 2nd then back off it is OK, I have been told that sometimes it jumps out because it was not put in gear properly, so on one down hill run it did it 3 times and i'm sure i banged it in gear properly each time. anyone else had the same issue ? and if so what have you done to fix it?
also i was reading on some other threads about gearbox oil issues does that mean it should also be changed ??

79rallypack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: WQ XR4 jumps out of 2nd gear

Could be linkage adjustment, but most likely will be internal wear in the gearbox :( Not sure if it will help or not but maybe try a transmission flush and fresh fluid first, if it's not adjustment and the flush and fluid change doesn't help then another gearbox will be your best bet if you're planning on keeping the car for a while
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
79rallypack
Starter Motor

if it was wear i would expect it to jump out of gear under acceleration ?? and also the part that does not make sense is if i accelerated in 2nd then backed off then it will not jump out of gear ! also any idea how to adjust the linkage ??
Old 25-11-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79rallypack View Post
if it was wear i would expect it to jump out of gear under acceleration ?? and also the part that does not make sense is if i accelerated in 2nd then backed off then it will not jump out of gear ! also any idea how to adjust the linkage ??
Not 100% certain on the linkage adjustment mate, I had a similar issue years ago with a manual box in an XC Falcon, that had been caused by the car being rear ended several months earlier whilst it was parked and in 2nd gear. The repair on that involved a gearbox rebuild to rectify the issue. I found some info about the Fiesta and jumping out of gear on a UK site - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=82329

Someone suggests linkage adjustment on there but without actually seeing it I couldn't say for sure that it has any :(

Another thought I just had would be to check gearbox mountings too
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How does the shifter feel, any play in it?
When you chuck it back a cog could it be a dodgy engine mount allowing the body to clash with the shifter knocking it out of gear ? When you accelerate forward in other gears does the shift move around ?
If there's play in the shifter I would find out if there's a nylon bush on the bottom of the shift also.
with the engine off select a gear disengage clutch and give the shift a wobble around how much play does it have.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #6
79rallypack
Starter Motor

checked how much play is in the gear stick "at the knob" it has about total 6-8mm sideways and about 12 mm forward and back. the gear stick is pretty solid in all gears, have not checked if any engine mount bushes are worn.
Old 17-12-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
zabatron

Jumping out of gear is usually caused by a worn/faulty syncro ring inside gearbox,more often than not caused by too many race gear changes,or it may have been faulty from factory.In a front drive car such as Fiesta,it may also be caused by incorrect selector cable adjustment,sticking external selector arm on gearbox,or worn/burnt or incorrect gearbox fluid.
Check condition of gearbox fluid,if it is black,thick and smelly,then it is probably still the original factory filled fluid which will certainly be rooted at 100000km,and will need to be replaced asap(gearbox fluid in my 08 XR4 was burnt at @35000km).
Xr4 uses 2 gear shift cables.The selector cable is adjustable at gearbox end,but the shifter cable is not.
Also,as stated above,check condition of engine mounts(especially lower engine mount),and condition of gearbox fluid first,and then check adjustment of selector cable(the one with the orange plastic insert on it).
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79rallypack View Post
checked how much play is in the gear stick "at the knob" it has about total 6-8mm sideways and about 12 mm forward and back. the gear stick is pretty solid in all gears, have not checked if any engine mount bushes are worn.
Bad luck mate, its always good to check the easy and cheap stuff to fix first.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post