Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 15-08-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why a lot of people don't wait until cars completely dies

Hi

why do alot people start thinking of another car when repairs get to $500-$1000 each time while they can still get $1000, $2000, $3000 for the old car instead of waiting for the old one to die completely or until theyre told they need to spend $2000-$3000 on things, what makes people think about it

is it lots minor things that makes them think about it or is it because they have family that live some distance and they want to make definite plans and have little problems or like most people dont have the patience to deal with the minor things anymore, or they become too annoying. spose you can understand why they do it

is it also because some people have to travel or want to go places and not have the thoughts of being stuck somewhere, do they also feel that anything you can put towards your next car makes a difference so they sell the old one while they can still get some money to go towards it.

How do they know when it's time to trade up when there's currently nothing wrong with old one when speedo says 100-250000km or is 10-15 years old, when their still good used cars and some can get a lot of use out them

alot of families or school teachers or higher up people move cars on when theyve got a few km on them or the paint isnt best or when theyre due for higher maintenance (shocks, timing belt full brake job, repairs monthly or alot of small things at once)

but at same time some drive them until they die

why do some drive them until they die and some move on before while they still run

What are other reasons why people don't wait till car completely dies before changing over

And why do a lot of teachers and families have newer cars and changeover before old completely dies? Would they need extra reliability to go places even though alternator or other little things are not hard to change and no longer have the patience

How do people know to think about a change when speedo shows 200,000-300,000km depending on person wether they're happy with a good used car or want latest

Last edited by car10002; 15-08-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Old 15-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why a lot of people don't wait until cars completely dies

There's a lot a questions in there Champ. so be prepared for some interesting answers

But generically I would say people today don't have the skills or time to be worried about car repairs, and will sell their car before it costs them to have it removed.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Comes down to your finances, these days I have the money to move on the car before it becomes a financial drain on my wallet, in my younger days I use to hang onto them because of lack of funds.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hung onto a 77 fairlane for years and eventually replaced everything on it motor,diff trans aircon radiator you get the picture .Simply as i was starting a new business and repairs were claimable and i didnt have any cash flow.5 years on i bought a demo xr8 au and only had that for 2 years,yep this time i had cash and wanted a BA xr8.I loved that car but another change in jobs required a ute so after 9 years moved it onto my brother and bought a 2014 pursuit ute.
Old 15-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
radler

I think I could write a thesis on this topic, but will refrain,

Suffice to say, marketing and easy to get finance contribute to a cultural shift

In pure financial terms, holding and driving a car long term is the best way to redeem value

But only if it is long enough to outstrip depreciation whilst not incurring big costs like replacing a transmission etc

In terms of value, I think many of us get caught up in the idea that newer is better and within this is status and all that stuff

For me, I get frustrated when I spend a fair sum and then run into issues like rattles that can't be fixed or harsh riding suspension that after a while just wears me out

In theory I would like to hold my current car for 600,000 kms because by that stage I will be too old to drive

And if I succeeded with that I will no doubt spend money on maintenance to get her that far but all in all that will likely be less than trading and selling once or more times ....

For 600,000 kms I would need to be really happy with the car ... can I stay happy for that long .... my wife knows me really well and she thinks not .... it's like every two years there is a new falcon on the driveway ..and without falcons it could end up with a mustang or similar and then it is way more money out the door ....

If I could afford it I would pick up one if the last xr6 sprints still on car sales ... but my bank balance constrains me ...,I could get finance but I am over paying off finance ...

So for me I will either hold my car for better or worse or if I sell and buy something new, it will be cash from what little if any i can save

I currently like my fgx xr6 except for the air intake that rattles and I will try to get that fixed .... and whilst 600,000 kms maybe over the top ambitious Ian hoping for at least 200,000

Taxis get way more and by not having any finance to pay I should be able to afford maintenance and give the best chance for a long life with one owner ...

End ... the short version of a possible thesis ... lol ... a man of few words... I am not ...

Ross : n/a fgx xr6 - manual
4 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Chopped
as in chopped

For me it comes down to reliability. Once I can't trust a car to get me anywhere, it's time for it to go.
Old 15-08-2017, 05:11 PM   #7
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just got rid of a rough car myself.

BF Falcon LPG, 400k km, side panel damage, leaks from 4-5 different places, 3 weeks rego left, faded paint. Sold it for $750. It still ran great, nice and smooth, started every time.

To me it was just time to move on, I had it for 7 years and didnt want to spend money on it to fix it up. It served its purpose well for the time I owned it though!
Old 15-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
For me it comes down to reliability. Once I can't trust a car to get me anywhere, it's time for it to go.
For "daily drivers" completely agree ... for the "play" cars, they are just unreliable and constant money pits.
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have generally held onto my falcons until they get 200,000 on the clock and then move on "but" i ive had my Ba for 11 years and with 138,000ish on the clock i might hang onto it for a bit longer as touch wood it has been the best falcon ive ever owned its almost part of family.
Old 15-08-2017, 06:57 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the answer to all your questions (about 13 of them) lie here.
Same questions just worded differently.

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11461841
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11460703
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11460371
https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11452144
3 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Do not feed the TROLL.
Old 15-08-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Personally I think cars are over-rated as a form of transport. I travel everywhere via flying nimbus (pic related)
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks way more reliable than the mitsubishi nimbus.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #14
minheim

In my case I generally take the view that at 7 or 8 years there is still some value in the car as a trade in, expensive repairs are possible in the next few years and there are generally enough new safety features to warrant buying a new or much more modern car.
Old 15-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #15
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Everyone has their reasons, I hold onto mine as long as I can, as long as I like the car, I'll spend to keep it going, my last trade off, a 2000 au 2 Ghia only was retired from daily duties due to a $6000 repair bill and it's need to travel a minimum of 100 Ks a day to and from work, even then I had that car for 13 yrs, my fgx g6e turbo is a keeper so I'll still have it when I retire
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2017, 09:54 PM   #16
stock1991
Limited supply

[QUOTE=minheim;5987089]In my case I generally take the view that at 7 or 8 years there is still some value in the car as a trade in, expensive repairs are possible in the next few years and there are generally enough new safety features to warrant buying a new or much more modern car

not sure it classifies as a safety feature but I remember thinking the best feature they came out with was electric side mirrors, so cool when reversing then readjust from the comfort of the drivers seat
Old 15-08-2017, 10:07 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because once your car gets to the point where it needs regular repairs, its only a matter of time before one of the problems leaves the car a complete failure and leaves you stranded. Not ideal for daily driven vehicles.

I want to know why you have singled out teachers as a group of people who buy lots of new cars. I know a lot of teachers and they don't seam to buy new cars any more often than any other average people I know.
Old 15-08-2017, 10:26 PM   #18
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Because once your car gets to the point where it needs regular repairs, its only a matter of time before one of the problems leaves the car a complete failure and leaves you stranded. Not ideal for daily driven vehicles.
would that be why most families tade up when they start having regular reliability problems or is it easier for their budget to pay a monthly loan and more for insurance than 6 monthly repairs or is it because repairs cost as much as a loan or everything

Quote:
I want to know why you have singled out teachers as a group of people who buy lots of new cars. I know a lot of teachers and they don't seam to buy new cars any more often than any other average people I know.
at schools alot of the staff cars are lucky to be 10 years old, theres a couple that are alittle older.

and many families trade up when repairs are regular, would it be because making loan payments and more insurance that are expected be easier on the budget than paying for unexpected regular repairs every few months even though it evens out in the end or is it they need reliability for road trips so trade up when they have regular unexpected repairs or they become annoying

a alternator or power steering pump for example is not hard or expensive but can be a problem for some people
Old 15-08-2017, 10:28 PM   #19
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
when you say regular repairs how regular you talking
Old 15-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #20
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
I have generally held onto my falcons until they get 200,000 on the clock and then move on "but" i ive had my Ba for 11 years and with 138,000ish on the clock i might hang onto it for a bit longer as touch wood it has been the best falcon ive ever owned its almost part of family.
what made you turn them over at 200000km or so when theres some aus and efs with 300-400000km and still run
Old 16-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Reliability for me. Don't have time for a car to be unreliable. I figure the money I make will exceedvthe depreciation cost of the vehicle.

Funny enough been driving my old bf2 at while the folks are away. It's a good solid car but it does feel like it's almost 10 years old compared the the fgx.
Old 16-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #22
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone else got reasons? Like to go on trips and can't when car needs heaps work or starts to even though it may only be a few small things? Easier for budget to pay a small loan than a big repair every few months even though it evens out? Or what are other reasons
Old 16-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #23
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Has anyone else got reasons? Like to go on trips and can't when car needs heaps work or starts to even though it may only be a few small things? Easier for budget to pay a small loan than a big repair every few months even though it evens out? Or what are other reasons
What answer are you looking for? I've seen this question multiple times here and on yahoo answers too.

Old 16-08-2017, 03:41 PM   #24
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Hi

why do alot people start thinking of another car when repairs get to $500-$1000 each time while they can still get $1000, $2000, $3000 for the old car instead of waiting for the old one to die completely or until theyre told they need to spend $2000-$3000 on things, what makes people think about it

but at same time some drive them until they die

why do some drive them until they die and some move on before while they still run

What are other reasons why people don't wait till car completely dies before changing over
Let's run through your scenario where someone keeps driving their car until it actually dies and then justifies a replacement.

It's Monday night, you're leaving work and have to pick up the kids from your parents place who were babysitting for the day. Low and the behold... the car doesn't start... it has finally decided to die. You're now stuck at work with no form of getting home. What do you do? How do you pick up the kids? How do you get to work the next day? How do you do the shopping? What do you do if one of your kids (or yourself) suddenly gets sick and needs to see a doctor? What if one of your parents/siblings/friends has an emergency but you can't get there because you have no form of transportation?

Avoiding that window between the old car dying and getting a new one is probably why most people don't wait for their car to completely die before getting another one. Peoples' lives are generally disadvantaged by having no form of transportation and not being prepared for it.

Even then, you'd have to buy a car in a rush so probably couldn't do the level of research and due diligence that you otherwise would have done if you'd had more time.

To me it seems like the answer to that question is obvious. What answer are you looking for that you haven't already heard from having asked it multiple times? (legit question, not criticising)

Old 16-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #25
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car1002 the reason ive traditionally changed cars over at 200,000 is ive found thats when they start getting a few issues and since my car is used for country runs i want total reliability with out spending more than the car is worth to achieve that.
Old 16-08-2017, 06:49 PM   #26
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Don't ask me - I bail out of cars before they have 25k on the clock, even when they are 7 YO. I really shouldn't own cars at all for all the driving I do

But I am looking for a circa 2005 V8 Fairlane at the moment and not considering anything > 150,000 kms.
Old 16-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The ef with 308000km is otherwise good and is better now it's had some work done, still can't plan ahead or take it on a trip as there's still a few things left to do and have chosen to hang onto it and do some more things and accept the inconvenience of not being able to take it on trips until everything is fixed, just putting up with it until all done

Is that a example of another reason many don't drive car till it completely dies (not being able to go on trips or take it on holidays) even though many will get every last km out and drive till it dies

And also spose most are too busy and don't want the surprises every few months?

Last edited by car10002; 16-08-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 16-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #28
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spot on!
Old 16-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #29
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar4890 View Post
Spot on!

And also spose most are too busy and don't want the surprises every few months?

And chosen to hold onto the ef and just accept the inconvenience of not being able to plan ahead or take it on trips until everything is fixed and be patient until then 😉 As it still needs a heap of work at some point but is far batter because of the other work that was done but still can't plan ahead or go on trips with it till then
Old 16-08-2017, 08:25 PM   #30
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And also to fit a ba engine to a ef will it need a engineer in sa? Will the ba ecu work with the ef trip computer?

Will a standard au 302 from a early au be ok in a ef without a engineer as you can apparently have upto 169kw in a ef and the efs also came out in a standard 302 standard or as a option
Closed Thread