Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Recommend an Uber

Thinking of buying one for her indoors.
She's struggling to find work, so might as well Uber. It will suit her. Mate's missus does it and goes ok. Its never going to compete with an actual job, but beats doing nothing.

It needs to be roomy.
Excellent fuel economy.
Inexpensive.
Cheap to maintain and repair.
Able to handle the high kilometres.

I've also considered the possibility of an SUV option, as that potentially opens the option of Uber XL and/or Uber Assist.

Possibilities that I have identified so far:
  • Territory Diesel
  • Falcon ecoLPI
  • Hynudai Santa Fe Diesel
  • Hyundai i40 Diesel
  • Holden Malibu Diesel
  • Kia Sorrento Diesel
  • Mitsubishi Outlander or Challenger Diesel
  • Mazda 6 Diesel
  • Camry Hybrid
  • Skoda Superb

Or possibly getting one of the following and converting to LPG:
  • Nissan Altima
  • Kia Optima
  • Hyundai Sonata
  • Camry
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Recommend an Uber

Falcon EcoLPI or an Ecoboost G6E

Hands down
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Don't discount a people mover. The Hyundai Imax are big, roomy, carry up to 7 passengers, handle very well and are very comfortable for what they are and will get sub 10 lph loaded. I used to drive one as a taxi and get 9s' and 10s' driving in a hilly environment where half the population is up hill from the main shopping/entertainment area of town.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2017, 11:01 PM   #4
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not an FPV GT which is an Express Uber for those who want to get there quicker!

eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A used low k EcoLPi

or

A used low k Camry Hybrid with LPG conversion like taxi'x are doing in Melbourne.

Also depends on LPG prices in W.A?

Melbs LPG is nearly half of 91 at moment.
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 PM   #6
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing I would worry about with Ecolpi is LPG availability. In Melbourne less servos are stocking it, especially Shell.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Get her a taxi license...there is a major driver shortage everywhere I hear of.
Not sure about Perth.

Destroy somebody else's car while carting self entitled millennials 2 blocks for peanuts....

It is a Level Playing field now...Taxis can pick and choose and surge price as well.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
jgmdat

Jeep SRT the repeat business will be next level.
jgmdat is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 PM   #9
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Thinking of buying one for her indoors.
She's struggling to find work, so might as well Uber. It will suit her. Mate's missus does it and goes ok. Its never going to compete with an actual job, but beats doing nothing.

It needs to be roomy.
Excellent fuel economy.Inexpensive.
Cheap to maintain and repair.
Able to handle the high kilometres.

I've also considered the possibility of an SUV option, as that potentially opens the option of Uber XL and/or Uber Assist.

Possibilities that I have identified so far:
  • Territory Diesel
  • Falcon ecoLPI
  • Hynudai Santa Fe Diesel
  • Hyundai i40 Diesel
  • Holden Malibu Diesel
  • Kia Sorrento Diesel
  • Mitsubishi Outlander or Challenger Diesel
  • Mazda 6 Diesel
  • Camry Hybrid
  • Skoda Superb

Or possibly getting one of the following and converting to LPG:
  • Nissan Altima
  • Kia Optima
  • Hyundai Sonata
  • Camry
I'm a recent convert to Uber and to me personally as a user the vehicle that turns up is neither here or there. Most cars these days have ample space, as long as it's clean, doesn't sound like a bucket of bolts and above all the driver is courteous and knows where their going is more important to me.
Don't waste money on a vehicle if the idea is primarily for Uber use, especially since it is very early days for this an if the playing field either levels out or a new mob enters the field the pie will be smaller to divide.
We have had Corollas, Camrys, Altimas didn't make any diff to us. They turned up on time and got us home and that is what matters.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
I'm a recent convert to Uber and to me personally as a user the vehicle that turns up is neither here or there. Most cars these days have ample space, as long as it's clean, doesn't sound like a bucket of bolts and above all the driver is courteous and knows where their going is more important to me.
Don't waste money on a vehicle if the idea is primarily for Uber use, especially since it is very early days for this an if the playing field either levels out or a new mob enters the field the pie will be smaller to divide.
We have had Corollas, Camrys, Altimas didn't make any diff to us. They turned up on time and got us home and that is what matters.
Indeed, I am not looking for the "best car" to use as an Uber. I'm looking for what will get the job done, essentially for the least money. So economy, reliability, and longevity, are key considerations.
I'll naturally pick an example that has a decent interior, but I imagine all are similar comfort-wise.
However rear legroom might be an issue, so I'd stick with larger cars.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Camry Hybrid or Falcon EcoLpi. (Taxi operators choice).

Stay clear of the Territory Diesel, they get expensive once the kays get up there.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:36 PM   #12
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Indeed, I am not looking for the "best car" to use as an Uber. I'm looking for what will get the job done, essentially for the least money. So economy, reliability, and longevity, are key considerations.
I'll naturally pick an example that has a decent interior, but I imagine all are similar comfort-wise.
However rear legroom might be an issue, so I'd stick with larger cars.
Dazz, you have answered your own question. A Falcon is the answer, cheap to buy compared to other brands, you are after L.P.G so buying a car that already has it fitted as a bonus. The days of aftermarket fitment are nearly past, the cons outweigh the pros now. Tariffs are reducing by the year. However a s/hand unit is still attractive if you don't pay a premium for it.
Forget diesels as all the modern ones are high maintenance and are questionable as far as reliability goes. On the other hand a Camry is just as good for the job and 4 cyl rego which saves some bucks.
The last thing you want is to be working for nothing and the reality is a Uber driver doesn't really get much more than minimum wage the beauty lies in the flexibility to work when you want. That is why uni students and sometimes retirees like it.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGL View Post
Dazz, you have answered your own question. A Falcon is the answer, cheap to buy compared to other brands, you are after L.P.G so buying a car that already has it fitted as a bonus. The days of aftermarket fitment are nearly past, the cons outweigh the pros now. Tariffs are reducing by the year. However a s/hand unit is still attractive if you don't pay a premium for it.
Front-runner at the moment is probably a Mondeo diesel, but if I could find a decent ecoLPi cheap enough it would be worth considering.
Old 14-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
unkey

I'd suggest either a Corolla sedan ,or Camry.
Both brilliant Uber choices.
unkey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be thinking a Camry or a Camry or a Camry.Wouldn't consider fitting a gas conversion because of the way lpg prices go up and outlets are closing.Petrols are the way to go for short stop start trips.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 11:52 AM   #16
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

camry's are big and cheap, go ok and decent on fuel, they look ok too if you buy an SZ
i'd still never buy one but for an uber i'd be happy with one
what ever car you get i'd make sure it fits 5 adults and has leg room, corollas are a bit small
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 01:00 PM   #17
nstg8a

I had a Camry rental for a few weeks when my van was in the panel shop, brilliant cars really.
Go pretty well, built well, reliable.
Not an ounce of sportiness but that's not really important in Thai case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I drive a camry hybrid taxi on the weekends and I am not impressed with it at all. It's hard for me to get comfortable,(as a bigger guy). The front of the drivers seat sits too high so I either have to lower the back so it feels like I'm sitting in a bucket, or duck to see under the rear vision mirror if I have the seat anywhere near comfortable. I end up in a compromise where I still have to dip my head to see under the mirror and only feel like I'm in a shallow bucket.

Next problem is that they aren't cheap to service or repair thanks to the hybrid energy recovery system. Also, thanks to being front drive, every time you take your foot off the throttle the ERS cuts in and it's like putting on the brakes, so they chew up tyres every 15,000km. On top of that, they are positively dangerous on a marginal surface. Think, dirt road or suddenly wet or oily surface you are going a bit too fast for, and thanks to being front drive, when you take your foot off the throttle and the ERS cuts in, if you happen to be cornering at the time, expect to understeer into whatever is in front of you if you're not on your game.

Buy the ecoLPI Falcon, more room, more comfort for the driver, cheaper to maintain, only marginally higher fuel usage costs and it won't understeer you into a power pole, tree or parked car in an unxepected moment.

But, hey, that's just my opinion.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 14-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #19
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, I'd seriously be crunching the numbers to see if its worthwhile purchasing a car to uber. It really doesn't seem like a worthwhile venture even if you already own a suitable car.

Factor all costs into the number crunching, the increased 'business use' car insurance, wear and tear and depreciation, the cost of washing vomit out of the car etc.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #20
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The car would replace an existing one, and then become my daughter's car. (The currently Pulsar is too old, too small, too uncomfortable.)
And I have a vested interest in stopping her driving my car.

But yeah, it needs to be cheap, and must be cheap to run.
I think LPG is a great long-term proposition, but the pay-back period is getting longer and longer, especially the way they gouge us here in Perth.
We're fortunate in having easy access to a choice of decent servos, but some areas are not so lucky when it comes to LPG.

By big concern with LPG is range. If she has to fill up every day, that will get old quickly.
Old 15-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #21
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
I drive a camry hybrid taxi on the weekends and I am not impressed with it at all. It's hard for me to get comfortable,(as a bigger guy). The front of the drivers seat sits too high so I either have to lower the back so it feels like I'm sitting in a bucket, or duck to see under the rear vision mirror if I have the seat anywhere near comfortable. I end up in a compromise where I still have to dip my head to see under the mirror and only feel like I'm in a shallow bucket.

Also, thanks to being front drive, every time you take your foot off the throttle the ERS cuts in and it's like putting on the brakes, so they chew up tyres every 15,000km. On top of that, they are positively dangerous on a marginal surface. Think, dirt road or suddenly wet or oily surface you are going a bit too fast for, and thanks to being front drive, when you take your foot off the throttle and the ERS cuts in, if you happen to be cornering at the time, expect to understeer into whatever is in front of you if you're not on your game.
Sounds perfect for her.
Old 15-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #22
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The car would replace an existing one, and then become my daughter's car. (The currently Pulsar is too old, too small, too uncomfortable.)
And I have a vested interest in stopping her driving my car.

But yeah, it needs to be cheap, and must be cheap to run.
I think LPG is a great long-term proposition, but the pay-back period is getting longer and longer, especially the way they gouge us here in Perth.
We're fortunate in having easy access to a choice of decent servos, but some areas are not so lucky when it comes to LPG.

By big concern with LPG is range. If she has to fill up every day, that will get old quickly.
Filling up is just part of taxi/courier work if ur doing alot of work.

And DO NOT run an EcoLPi out of gas or you'll need a tow to the nearest LPG pump.

But then again thats what the warning light/alarm is for.
GASWAGON is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2017, 07:03 PM   #23
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Topping up the car at the end of your shift is part and parcel of taxi/Uber driving, it's just what you do. You also vac after every shift and clean the car (if required), so it's ready to go the next day.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 15-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #24
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

IF only I could get my drivers to do that...you must be old school BB.
Old 16-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #25
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Your car is your work space. Have some pride in your work environment and people notice. A clean car will always impress the punters better than one full of crap and dirt.
Plus, for those customers that want to chat, some friendly and topical conversation will always go down well. Also, some good tunes, especially if they're going out or coming home on a party night. All these things add up and 9 times out of 10 you'll get a better tip. I can turn over between $400-$500+ a night on the weekends doing 5 till finish and can get an extra 10-15% in tips just from all of the above.

MINE- AUII Forte

Old 16-08-2017, 07:58 PM   #26
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I agree with you...but it's not the modern way.

Clean the car??
Not MY job...there is an APP for that.
Old 19-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #27
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Due to various considerations, including the condition of her hips, we have narrowed it down to two front-runners: Camry Hybrid sedan, and Mondeo diesel wagon.

Coming in 3rd due to cost is the Territory diesel.

Outside roughie is the Skoda Superb.