Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-06-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
NevC
Red Back Ute

Default New Titanium

My wife is looking at one of these Mondeo Titanium with great interest as a replacement for her 2007 Territory AWD Ghia.
Looking at some comments on this forum re batteries going flat, and associated problems getting in the car, I am starting to wonder if this is such a good idea.
Have the problems been fixed with new model?
Any suggestions to annoy salesman with?

Cheers

Nev

BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Hers 2011 SV6 Sports wagon, she has crossed to the dark side of the force.
NevC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
warren77

Mate,

There are some isolated issues to do with cars.
Look at all the issues the Territory faces - ball joints (fixed in SYII), rust, dropping windows, water in the door locks. All stuff that I have found out about the Territory from this forum.

What you don't always get to see is the people who have no issues.
I have had a few with my XR5 (same spec as Titanium but a different engine) but not out of the ordinary.

So I think if the car matches your needs, matches your budget and more importantly, the wife likes it, then buy it. A new car warranty should cover most things.

I am extremely happy with my Mondeo. Had minor issues but love the way it drives, looks and performs.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
mpsol
XR5T

Nev, I haven't had a single problem witn my MA XR5T Mondeo. Not even a rattle in almost two years. Can't say the same for my work VE or Territory.
I live in the NT which is pretty hard on cars.

Get the salesman to include an extended Ford Warranty in the deal. He'll say he can't, but he can...
mpsol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
warren77

That is a good call mpsol on the warranty.

There are not many options that the Titanium does not come with.
The reverse mirror might be a good one if you can swing it.
The light blue tinted windows isn't good enough for really hot climates - so window tinting.
Tow bar is pretty expensive.
Full tank of fuel.
Fixed price servicing (good luck with that one)!

Those would be what I was chasing.
Old 29-06-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
RicOz

You can also get the Titanuim wagon from next month. Get a new model cause the diesel is much better performance and fuel economy.
Old 29-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought my MA XR5 in Feb 09. Not given me any problems. Never been back to the dealer other than scheduled servicing. It's been a dream.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #7
NevC
Red Back Ute

Thanks for input, its good to hear what you all think. So far we drove a Zetec, (no Titanium at dealer), and it was quite good to drive.
She is thinking the Zetec may do as there is a new one there and no wait to get into it. The dealer is checking up on Titanium availability for us.
Going back tomorrow to see what has turned up and what changeover will be.
Left them with a wish list to aim at. Got extended warranty already, plastics, tow bar, boot liner.

There is an XR5 there. They said no more of these will be brought into OZ.

Anyone got seat covers on? if so where did you get them?

cheers

Nev
BF XR6 Ute, July 2006 build, Seduce, Sports Bars, F6 CAI with K&N Filter, Turbo Upper Snorkel and Terri Air Pipe, Custom Cat Back Exhaust, 3.23 LSD, Lower Grille, Auto Glass, Bluetooth, iPod interface, Tie Downs, Analogue Clock, LED Mods

Old 29-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #8
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you will not want seat covers if you get a titanium or XR5 mate, the alcantara/leather is the shiz!!

seriously, the extra kit you get in the titanium or XR is well worth the wait ove rgetting a zetec now... (if it's in your budget)

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevC
Thanks for input, its good to hear what you all think. So far we drove a Zetec, (no Titanium at dealer), and it was quite good to drive.
She is thinking the Zetec may do as there is a new one there and no wait to get into it. The dealer is checking up on Titanium availability for us.
Going back tomorrow to see what has turned up and what changeover will be.
Left them with a wish list to aim at. Got extended warranty already, plastics, tow bar, boot liner.

There is an XR5 there. They said no more of these will be brought into OZ.

Anyone got seat covers on? if so where did you get them?

cheers

Nev
Mate

Just got back from a six week holiday in England. I rented a Zetec 2.0 TDCi 6 speed manual. What a car. Did almost 3000 miles. Got close to 50mpg and over there you cruise at 80 to 90 mph on the motorways.

My cousin in England has a Titanium wagon with 2.0 TDCi 6 speed man and that is one nice car.

I would own one.

Steve

PS I drive a FG XR6 over here.

Last edited by JG66ME; 29-06-2010 at 11:04 PM.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
warren77

Go the Titanium.
Leather
Bluetooth
Better rims
Floor matts

And don't you get a sunroof?
Also active cruise control?

There are no more XR5s being imported into the country. But a few dealers would still have some stock. And willing to deal
Old 30-06-2010, 01:33 AM   #11
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG66ME
Mate
Titanium wagon with 2.0 TDCi 6 speed man and that is one nice car.

I would own one.

PS I drive a FG XR6 over here.
more falcon owners would say that if they could get past the FWD/RWD thing...

Quote:
There are no more XR5s being imported into the country. But a few dealers would still have some stock. And willing to deal
you're not wrong. in dec 09 when i ordered mine, they were $48,990 drive away. Ford Aus are running newspaper adverts every weekend now with mondeo XR5 at $41,990 drive away... absolute bargain if you ask me!!

at that price, if a manal transmission doesn't phase you, why would you take a zetec??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #12
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Nev C,

8 month MA TDCi Zetec owners and the car has performed without a hitch across that time, except that the dealer managed to lose the averaged fuel consumption readout when trying to provide the instantaneous fuel consumption readout that was a function of the second ICU software update according to the mondeo.org site in the UK. (I haven't bothered to get this fixed, it will be a warranty job at the 15,000 km service at a different dealer)

However I would read thru this thread:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11216205

before I decided to spend extra money on the Titanium/XR5 model. Titanium/XR5 owners seem to be those who have the problems judging on the posts here. And they are mostly software/electronics issues

that said the problems are mostly minor, excepting the inability to start the car, which would be a major concern for me.

We are extremely happy with the car, good fuel economy, excellent roadholding and no squeaks or rattles so far (10,000 km to date)

Hope this helps

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Owned an MB Petrol 2.3 Titanium and it's the best car I've ever driven and leased. Only had it for about 3 months, but have missed it ever since I got out of it.

A friend has a Titanium TDCi and it's stunning. I regretted not getting the Diesel and if I had my time again, it'd be a choice between walking to work, or driving a Titanium TDCi. Ideally, I'd get an XR5T, but my lease didn't allow petrol Turbos.
Old 30-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #14
NevC
Red Back Ute

We bought the Zetec today, got an offer too good to refuse. Added tint to package and changeover was very reasonable.

Thanks for all the feedback, it is good to hear.

Alan D, that is the thread that made me start thinking about whether to purchase or not.

An auto was required, so XR5 was not looked at, it would suit me though.

Cheers all

Nev

Old 30-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #15
warren77

Congrats on purchase.
Good time to buy on last day of the Fin Year.

It is interesting you say that single thread almost put you off purchase. I have been trolling the Territories forum for about 6 months now, as we are buying a new Territory in December.

It has educated me into what to look for in a Territory, and made me more comfortable in dealing with the service department. But if I wanted to look at the forum with my empty eyes, I would steer clear of a Territory due to all the issues. Not only the issues from the car, but the way Ford responds to them.

But using half full eyes, it just adds perspective to your purchase. Thousands of Territories sold over the years and issues. People are more vocal when they a problem.

The business I run, has been going for 14 years. During that time, we have serviced over 500,000 customers. Even having a customer satisfaction rate of 99%, still leaves 500 upset customers. And those 500 customers are going to make a lot more noise than the 499,500 who are happy with the results.

Lots of passionate Mondeo owners - just read through all the comments about "loving the car" and balance them out with "having issues".
Old 30-06-2010, 08:03 PM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats Nev. In any model, auto or manual, they are a great car. I only wish I could afford a 2nd one. White MB XR5, I'd be a happy man.
Old 30-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #17
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...=xr5&trecs=147

Early MA's around now around 26k. I see a lot of brand new MB's for around $40k drive away. Bloody great value.
Old 30-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
rob270
Starter Motor

Just been reading through the posts and there has been some great info.

We're also looking here to get out of our Terry and get a Mondeo and there are some bargains floating about. Seems like a Titanium diesel is the way to go. I'd love the wagon but lead time looks to be 8 - 12 weeks so possibly Sept / Oct delivery. Just need to convince the missus to come and have a look and drive so we can finally make up our minds. Having said that we have found an MB Titanium diesel for 40K driveaway as a demo (09 plate but rego'd this year) which we need to make some time to go and look at.

IMO the Mondeo seems to be the best value for money and just generally a nice bit of kit.
rob270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
NevC
Red Back Ute

Warren77, There were other similar posts. But as we are in a rural area, if such a problem occurred it would be not nice at all, that's why I became cautious.

Also, there are more positive reports on Mondeo in this thread than others I have viewed which has been very good and very helpful, and that's what I had hoped for.

Most posts seems to be about faults, not good service generally.

Our Territory has just turned 92000km. Its had ball joints, front brake hoses and front torsion bar link rods, all done on warranty without fuss. It has averaged 10.8 to 11.2 l per 100km, with up to 13l per towing tandem with stock.

I used the Territory forum to research it and found the problems that you mentioned, which are worth considering, but none of these were in my opinion, as serious as those noted in the other threads on Mondeo.

Will post some thoughts on new vehicle when we have given it a good run

Thanks again all

Nev

Last edited by NevC; 30-06-2010 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #20
RicOz

Interesting to see two people on this thred wanting to downsize from a Terri to a Mondeo. May i ask why you want to change? Is it the fuel economy? Or do you like the look and features more on the Mondeo?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:13 AM   #21
warren77

RicOz

I am going the other way.
Currently we have a XR5 and an MX5 (wife's car).
I am keeping the XR5 and getting the wife a Territory, as the family car - cart the two big dogs around and any future kids.

I was trying to push her towards a Mondeo station wagon but she does not like the look of any station wagon.

So the Territory is the best option for our needs.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
I was trying to push her towards a Mondeo station wagon but she does not like the look of any station wagon.
So the Territory is the best option for our needs.
Interesting view considering the Terri looks like an oversized station wagon in my opinion!

Station wagons have come a long way to remove the commercial car tag. The Mondeo wagon looks 100 times more sexy than the Falcon wagon too. I admit the Holden Sportswagon looks good as well.

I have two young kids and the Mondeo wagon is fine for all the luggage and room inside. I just didn't want to be associated with the 4WD/Family mover type cars. I wanted something more sporty looking and something more rare on the road.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #23
warren77

RicOz

Unfortunately you are preaching to the converted.
But it is going to be her car, so she gets the ultimate choice.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #24
NevC
Red Back Ute

We are downsizing due to nothing more than she likes the Mondeo.

I am getting a new ute to do towing with.

We had 2 cars, then went to 1, the Terri, now back to 2 is more convenient.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 PM   #25
rob270
Starter Motor

I have just had a change of job and lose a company car (unfortunately). The Territory is just I guess too heavy on fuel for one thing and we considered a 2nd car for me to run about in but couldn't be stuffed with the extra rego & insurance etc. Luckily we work close together so transport to work is not an issue really.

We were looking anyway next year to get out of the T and get something smaller, perhaps Euro (VW, Audi et al) so this has just bought that decision forward a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love the T to bits but now that it is going to get a hell of a lot more use, the fuel bills are going to be too much to cop. Hence the diesel option and Mondeo on face value is at the top of the heap from a fuel economy point and the standard kit is pretty good for the money too, bluetooth, leather, sunroof, parking sensors etc. Now with the new 2 litre engine and Powershift box it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned. Mazda 6 is nice but manual only and the Finance Minister is not too keen on going back to a manual.

I admit I'm a sucker for the Euro stuff but the options are a joke price wise and the servicing and parts costs can be a bit over the top. I think the Passat was the closest rival and it was about $3000 dearer for the equivalent spec and the Audi A4, I think was about $6K or $7K away again. Reliability is also a priority but they all have issues, I mean we design and build the damn things and we not perfect by any stretch.

Just my 2c.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #26
warren77

rob270: The Mondeo is a euro built. Just it isn't pushed as being such here in Australia (at least not as a major proposition).
Old 02-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #27
RicOz

Yeh I looked at the Passat but when you add up the options it puts it out of the region of affordability. Same for Audi and they're expensive to service. Mondeo has a lot of standard stuff, no need for add-ons.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
rob270
Starter Motor

Quote:
rob270: The Mondeo is a euro built. Just it isn't pushed as being such here in Australia (at least not as a major proposition).
Yes I am aware that the Mondeo is a "Euro" built car and I agree with you 120% that it isn't marketed this way here. Such a pity I think. Even I don't consider it to be in the same ballpark as the "prestige" Euro product from a price only perspective although the quality & spec is equivalent and better in most cases.

I think it's time that people lost their brand snobbery and opened their eyes a bit. I was a dyed in the wool Holden owner until I drove an XR6 over an SV6 and purchased the XR6 purely because it was a better car and haven't looked back since.

Anyway have convinced the Minister of Finance to come out tomorrow morning to have a look and feel and shall report how I go. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:19 PM   #29
warren77

A friend of mine has just moved back from the UK.
They bought with them their BMW Estate (station wagon). It is a 3 series I think - higher end.
We compared features.

They get a badge.
I got a better car and paid a hell of a lot less for it.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #30
rob270
Starter Motor

Quote:

They get a badge.
Ha well said !