Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 17-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #31
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So why does the 2.2 TDCi seems to get better fuel consumption as reported on the UK forums compared to the 2L?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #32
monkeyboy666

Dunno... Maybe they are a bit bigger so they rev less or somefink... Or maybe our roads aren't as flat as theres and we drive uphill more... or we tow bigger things, or our fuel is different or the northern hemisphere is better for fuel economy because its more north!

I wish we had the 2.2litre.
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2008, 12:30 AM   #33
ian b

Thought you TDCi boys might find this interesting. Something to think about for when you buy the next one?

www.topgear.com/content/news/stories/2833/
Old 18-05-2008, 01:32 AM   #34
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
Dunno... Maybe they are a bit bigger so they rev less or somefink... Or maybe our roads aren't as flat as theres and we drive uphill more... or we tow bigger things, or our fuel is different or the northern hemisphere is better for fuel economy because its more north!

I wish we had the 2.2litre.
yes totally agree the 400Nm-420Nm of the 2.2L would be awesome as oppose to the 320Nm-340Nm of the 2L if my maths is correct that extra 200cc gives 25% more power _

apstar

Last edited by apstar; 18-05-2008 at 01:40 AM.
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #35
Katoomba

Isn't this great news to wake up to:Diesel to hit $2

Petrol is $1.66/L at my local Caltex this morning.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #36
scribbly

Not good news.
Has anyone investigated alternate fuels for these babies or are we are stuck with diesel for the duration?

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 03:14 PM   #37
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbly
Not good news.
Has anyone investigated alternate fuels for these babies or are we are stuck with diesel for the duration?

LPG on Diesel:

LPG on Diesel

Cost savings are not as great as converting a petrol engine to LPG because you still burn about 70% diesel. For high km applications the savings can be worthwhile.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 05:43 PM   #38
scribbly

I was thinking of the alternates such as biofuels or the like. I saw someone else in these forums that uses it at approx. 30c / litre. I was curious to know if it could be used in these cars.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #39
jared79
Sock Puppets

I was listening to the radio this morning and the US congress was drilling the heads of the big Oil companies. Asking why they are charging so much for oil, they have been having their biggest profits ever. They where asking the head of Shell how much he earns. It went something like this. "How much do you earn a year, 1 Million or more" "more" "2 Million or more" they asked. "More" he said. "3 million or more" his answer "I am not sure how much I actually earn".

Well turns out that he earned 14 Million last year. 14 MILLION. It's fine for him cause he can afford to pay $1.50-$2.00/L. It's disgusting that they can make that much money and yet they still increase their profit by jacking up the price. Mean while, we all suffer.

Disgusting.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2008, 12:42 AM   #40
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
yes totally agree the 400Nm-420Nm of the 2.2L would be awesome as oppose to the 320Nm-340Nm of the 2L if my maths is correct that extra 200cc gives 25% more power
Think you find the 2.2 gets better economy because is has more torque low down... and doesnt need to work anywhere near as hard, heres hoping to ford bringing out a TDCi Wagon with the 2.2 and Fords newer DSG gearbox... One in Silver will be leased in May 09 when my wife returns to work after baby #2. dead set for certain

And to think, the diesel power website can get 152kw, and 472nm out of it... for £359 ..!!!!!!!!! That would literally have the diesel wheelspinning into third with TC off... lol

Anyway, back on topic
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 09:26 AM   #41
whitetdci

Default Re: Happy with Diesel Economy?

***BUMP***
Just bought a TDCI and was looking at fuels and saw this thread. Interestingly last updated in 2008. Diesel appears to have improved in quality and come down in price. I am now seeing it around $1.49 and sometimes less than E10. Makes it an even better choice IMHO.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
whitetdci

PS The best I have got in my short time was 5.1L/100 from Brisbane to Tweed Heads. On cruise for 650 odd kms it returned 5.6L/100 on Vortex. Not sure what is the best diesel to use but that was all that was available at the time and I needed to fill up. A lot of people say either Shell or BP.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #43
whitetdci

I did a comparison between the vortex and shell on the way to work and back with similar traffic. vortex 6.2 shell 5.5. I would like to see what they are like on a trip in comparison. If shell is giving that much better economy then I will be using them. Yet to try bp
Old 08-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #44
whitetdci

Just put a chip box on and it sure makes a difference on the power and economy. I will be interested to see how it performs on a long trip but early signs are very promising. Running on levelish ground at around 100, sub 5l is achievable
Old 11-07-2012, 04:55 PM   #45
Jeremy J
Starter Motor

I've had my Mondeo TDCI from new in December 08. Has covered 75,000kms.

I have been very happy with fuel economy. The trip computer has not been reset and is showing 8.1 lt/100kms. This may sound high but the majority of use has been in and around Sydney. Average speed for the life of the car is 36kms per hour!!!

I have done a few long runs eg Sydney-Brisbane, Syd - Byron Bay, Syd- Canberra etc.

On these trips I get around 5.5-6lt/100kms.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #46
Soulsearcher

Mine's just about to clock 58,000km (MC purchased September 2011).

Average km/hr is ~76, with fuel economy ~6.4L/100km (averaged over the last 50,000km or so since the last reset).

80% is freeway traffic, and once the engine has warmed I give it a bit of a go while accelerating from lights around town (it spends an hour+ twice a day sitting on 110km/h so want to give it some variation).

I'm pretty happy with it, although the Ford servicing department is a topic for another day.
Soulsearcher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #47
whitetdci

It is pretty important to compare average speed with average fuel. Also if you are doing stop start driving in the city it will kill your economy.