Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #1
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Trump & Turnbull in bed?

Most of us thought Turnbull's meeting in the US recently was to discuss tariffs & trade. Here is the real reason he was over there. Worrying times people.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...22-h0wghz.html
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Trump & Turnbull in bed?

I think you need to look at the whole picture here, and not just see the unionist propaganda.

It's not Turnbull "stealing" superannuation savings and handing them over.
It's opening up the gates to allow super funds to invest in other countries infrastructure project. It would still be up to individual funds as to what they choose to invest in.

You only have to look at the incredible growth of Macquarie Bank, thanks to funding infrastructure, to see why they like the idea. Now super funds will be able to repeat what Macquarie have done, but on a global scale.

It all comes down to the fund managers & risk assessments - they won't invest if the returns aren't there.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 03:14 PM   #3
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I think you need to look at the whole picture here, and not just see the unionist propaganda.

It's not Turnbull "stealing" superannuation savings and handing them over.
It's opening up the gates to allow super funds to invest in other countries infrastructure project. It would still be up to individual funds as to what they choose to invest in.

You only have to look at the incredible growth of Macquarie Bank, thanks to funding infrastructure, to see why they like the idea. Now super funds will be able to repeat what Macquarie have done, but on a global scale.

It all comes down to the fund managers & risk assessments - they won't invest if the returns aren't there.
I'm sorry, but I don't share your confidence in these 'professionals'.
Old 15-03-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Then it's time for a SMSF.
Old 15-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roostercam View Post
Most of us thought Turnbull's meeting in the US recently was to discuss tariffs & trade. Here is the real reason he was over there. Worrying times people.
https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...22-h0wghz.html
Investing in infrastructure to get a return = worrying times?

To put it in car terms if I have a spare 5k and invest it in car parts and a tune I expect the thing to give me a return by going faster. Of course there is no guarantee but intelligently done should be no issue.

Here in Vic we are a slave to Transurban why should the yanks escape?
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 06:34 PM   #6
Trump
bitch lasagne

That article of dubious merit aside, govco and the banks are salivating (and moving heaven and earth) to get their hands on the super funds. It won't be long before a national emergency is declared in a justification to legalise the theft of $2.5 trillion. It will be the biggest ever wealth transfer in the history of the country, should it be allowed to happen.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #7
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Then it's time for a SMSF.
I have my own SFSF, and a Sydney property. My concern is for the people who's money this is. Our Government's are constantly looking for ways to make more money whilst doing less. Call it anything you like, I just feel that these 'public servants' who are supposed to work for us are now so over bloated and consuming so much themselves, they have lost sight of their role. I have no preference for either party in this country as I believe that what separated them disappeared a long time ago.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #8
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have my own SFSF, and a Sydney property. My concern is for the people who's money this is. Our Government's are constantly looking for ways to make more money whilst doing less. Call it anything you like, I just feel that these 'public servants' who are supposed to work for us are now so over bloated and consuming so much themselves, they have lost sight of their role. I have no preference for either party in this country as I believe that what separated them disappeared a long time ago.
The article is bad but from what I can gather its about setting up PPP's (privet,public partnerships) using the large industry super funds such as MTAA, Australian super,AMP etc They will each make their own assessment of whether to invest. Trump/Turnbull would only be facilitators rather than us tax payers being investors.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2018, 08:36 PM   #9
burnz
VFII SS UTE

people have to look at what their super is doing right now??
inflated property?
if trump can keep the US economy going, is their any real difference in risk?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Isn't it Trump and Trumbull? The Yanks nicknamed Mr Prime Minister Mr Trumbull or is that how Turnbull is pronounced in US English
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
I have ...... a Sydney property.
Feeling nervous?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #12
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
The article is bad but from what I can gather its about setting up PPP's (privet,public partnerships) using the large industry super funds such as MTAA, Australian super,AMP etc They will each make their own assessment of whether to invest. Trump/Turnbull would only be facilitators rather than us tax payers being investors.
Exactly.

And the various fund managers will not allow risky investments.

Look at where super is currently invested - I bet 75% or more people wouldn't have a clue what investments their super fund owns, or what income is generated from where.

It's simply a scheme to fund infrastructure for a return - no different to a toll road construction, and how many of those are cash cows for the owners/investors.

And the better news for Australians is it will be yanks paying the fares/tolls to use it, so it's earning money from other nations - effectively taxing Americans, to grow our super.

The govt simply cannot "take" the money from super funds as the ignorant are suggesting. That's akin to robbing a bank. All they can do is apply a tax to money going in (as they already do) and coming out (as they do if your pension exceeds a nominal sum).

I don't know if it's the misinfomation or union/Labor driven propaganda with the way the articles are being written, but I'm stunned that so many people seem to struggle to understand what it really means.

To put it in simple terms, I'll use this analogy: You buy a house in Sydney with your super, and the rent builds up that dollar value each year (ignoring the equity).
Despite what some are suggesting, the government can't come & take that house.
They can make you pay stamp duty when you buy it, income tax on the rent, and CGT when you sell it. But they cannot take it.

Now say you wanted to buy a house in the USA the same way. At the moment, you can, and people have done so. But what if you weren't allowed to? And what if the market over there was more lucrative to invest in? Wouldn't you be campaigning to allow it to happen?

At the moment, super companies aren't able to invest in overseas infrastructure projects like they are here in Australia, so it would be like saying you can't own that house in America & earn a rental income from it.

Macquarie Bank (and their investors) have come from nowhere & made squillions in the last 20-25 years from infrastructure. Australia is a limited market for them to make money in - there's only so much infrastructure that can be built each year. But open up a market that has 10 times our population, and 10 times the infrastructure needs, and it's a potenital gold mine for those investors.

If there was too much risk, the superannuation fund managers & risk advisors simply wouldn't invest in it.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Feeling nervous?
Whats to be nervous of? Rent prices going up? We paid 440k & its worth 1.25 currently. We are selling this season so unless there is a nuclear strike, I doubt the property values will change, not that they will go down anyway. I cannot see how a city that is growing at 1000 per week will have a huge downturn in property. Perhaps the top end of town will slow, but not the middle class & working class areas, especially with China & India's new wealth. If I were young again, I would be putting my money into apartments in Parramatta, Blacktown & Liverpool. These three areas are set to explode and make a lot of money, regardless of the market cooling. There are people queing up to get into this country & that equals huge demand.
Old 15-03-2018, 10:59 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government, short of introducing legislation on how and where it can spent, have no say.

There is plenty of infrastructure the super funds in Australia could invest in while employing Aussies to do the job before doing it in the US and I think that is the key issue, well at least for me.

We have plenty of choices with super here including setting up SMSF's if you want to get into the specifics of where and how much your money is invested.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #15
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a stab in the dark, but I wonder in that meeting if it was ever discussed that our natural resources would play at least a minor role in rebuilding their infrastructure.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post